How long do sperm really survive inside. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-12-2008, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm asking because on thursday night dh and I had a VERY pleasant night. Now last night and most of today I've had EWCM. So I'm wondering about the timing. Should I be thinking about this and buying a test in awhile or should I let it go.

I know this is my first post but I've been a lurker for awhile now,got some great crockpot recipes btw. I registered because I'm really wondering about this. We've got 2 great kids and while we wouldn't be upset if we were having another one it's not exactly in the game plan. You ladies are so knowledgable. What do you guys think?
#2 of 16 Old 02-12-2008, 06:04 AM

Sperm can live up to 5 days (some say 7) in ideal conditions. So there's a chance, but remember also that some women get EWCM for several days prior to ovulation. I wouldn't think too much about it unless my period was late. I hope things turn out the way you want
#3 of 16 Old 02-12-2008, 01:21 PM

If there was no cervical fluid Friday, Saturday, or Sunday I highly doubt the sperm would survive this long. 5-7 days in ideal conditions but just a number of hours in dry conditions. If it was sticky, who knows :-p.

Stay at home mom to three little boys born 6-06, 12-08, and 4-11.
#4 of 16 Old 02-12-2008, 04:53 PM

I take it that the 5-7 day rule applies ONLY if you have EWCM for that long?
#5 of 16 Old 02-13-2008, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
If you had a little watery or even creamy within a few hours of intercourse they *might* make it 7 days.
#6 of 16 Old 02-13-2008, 07:16 PM

7 days in fertile mucous
#7 of 16 Old 02-15-2008, 01:54 PM

They say 5 days.. for me personally, it was 7 days, when we TTC#1.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#8 of 16 Old 02-15-2008, 01:57 PM

If the dates I've been given via ultrasound are correct, this baby was conceived with 7 day old sperm.
#9 of 16 Old 02-15-2008, 02:01 PM

But I just want to be clear that you all had EWCM for 7 days right?
#10 of 16 Old 02-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
5-7 days depending on the person. People don't usually have EWCM for 5-7 days, but once the sperm are through the cervix, and into the fallopian tubes, they don't die off as quickly as they do trying to get through the cervix. And there isn't any EWCM in your uterus and fallopian tubes. The EWCM is only beneficial at the cervical opening, so you only need to have it for a couple of hours really. Just long enough for the sperm to get through and be on their way. Ordinarily the cervical fluid is rather hostile to sperm and most of them won't make it through, plus the cervix is mostly closed. The EWCM serves as a medium for them to get through.

If you had sex that recently, you might be mistaking the return of DH's "contribution" for EWCM. I would say watch and see. Sometimes we don't see the EWCM until a day or so after it appear and makes its way down. Even when we don't see it, it is still hanging out at the cervix. So, it could go either way.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#11 of 16 Old 02-15-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post
5-7 days depending on the person. People don't usually have EWCM for 5-7 days, but once the sperm are through the cervix, and into the fallopian tubes, they don't die off as quickly as they do trying to get through the cervix. And there isn't any EWCM in your uterus and fallopian tubes. The EWCM is only beneficial at the cervical opening, so you only need to have it for a couple of hours really. Just long enough for the sperm to get through and be on their way. Ordinarily the cervical fluid is rather hostile to sperm and most of them won't make it through, plus the cervix is mostly closed. The EWCM serves as a medium for them to get through.

If you had sex that recently, you might be mistaking the return of DH's "contribution" for EWCM. I would say watch and see. Sometimes we don't see the EWCM until a day or so after it appear and makes its way down. Even when we don't see it, it is still hanging out at the cervix. So, it could go either way.
Thanks for the explanation!

Learn something new everyday, eh?
#12 of 16 Old 02-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
In this process, it seems like it.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#13 of 16 Old 02-15-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
But I just want to be clear that you all had EWCM for 7 days right?
I honestly didn't notice any EWCM when I conceived. And I had a very, very early u/s after conception, and there was only ONE day that it would have been possible for us to conceive, and that was 7 days prior to the u/s EDD estimate, which was one at 5w- he was still an egg sack.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#14 of 16 Old 02-20-2008, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
5 days worked for me. I didn't notice any EWCM. Depending on the source and the conditions I've read 5-7 at most.
#15 of 16 Old 02-20-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
If the dates I've been given via ultrasound are correct, this baby was conceived with 7 day old sperm.
if the dates are correct with my u/s (which dates me now at 6.5 weeks) I concieved with 9 day old sperm. I told my doc that and he said it was impossible but he didnt want to admit the u/s could be off.

um, I KNOW when I sex, kwim?
#16 of 16 Old 02-22-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

great comment, i totally agree. OP, there'll be no harm in testing after the 14d window, but i doubt you have much to be concerned about here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page