Need diva cup help. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do they always leak? This is turning out to be NOT a great purchase. Is it that I am not putting it in right? Because it really should catch SOMETHING right? I fold it in half and then half again- then insert and then I tug on it a touch to make sure that it is open (and to try to keep it a little lower so I don't have to go to so much work to dig the thing out)- but it is doing absolutley NO good right now. But I know that it should work and I know I must be doing something wrong- Help would be appreciated- that or some one to bring me tampons.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
Help would be appreciated- that or some one to bring me tampons.
Well, sounds like you're at least keeping your sense of humor!

I had the same trouble the first time I used my diva cup... and I mean the first cycle, not just the first time I put it in. I can't remember what caused my "a-ha" moment, but it's worth sticking with it for a while...

You said you're making sure it opens... are you sure it's completely popped open? And is it over your cervix? (because it can open and not cover the cervix -- not so useful!) Once you feel that it's open over your cervix, you shouldn't be able to move it without breaking the suction.

Ah, the joys of diva cup learning...

Wife and Mama who homeschools-- mostly in the kitchen!
Old 03-06-2008, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

So you should have it up there quite a ways? Mine always seems to gravitate up. I suppose that makes sense- but then it should come with a longer stem because it is really hard to get out (a process I only fell comfortable with in my own bathroom)- if you know what I mean. Or I just have a really long- well you know what I mean.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 03-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
It took me one cycle to get the hang of the diva cup, I can't really say what I did differently, but I just learned how to place it just right so that it wouldn't leak.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:57 PM

Yeah, it's just one of those things that takes some practice. For removal, I find it easier if I push down, like I'm pushing out a baby It does gravitate up, but I find I can generally push enough to get a grip on it and break the suction.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
Old 03-06-2008, 04:12 PM

there is a definite learning curve to the diva. but seriously, once you 'get' it, its fantastic. it took me three cycles. try different folds. do you spin it? i know its recommended, but i found that if i fuss with it after putting it in i mess it up. i sort of follow it in with my thumb to sort of guide it and feel it open and that's it. i know what you mean about having to dig it out though. you are not the only one doing that! anyway, this site has a bunch of different folds to try. im sure you will find one that will work for you. and don't give up--it sometimes takes a while to figure it all out.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania8 View Post
do you spin it? i know its recommended, but i found that if i fuss with it after putting it in i mess it up. i sort of follow it in with my thumb to sort of guide it and feel it open and that's it.
I do this too, "follow" it around with a finger to make sure it's fully opened. Are you sure it's completely expanded when you think you've got it in right? I'd say it took me about three cycles before I got the hang of it. And it took about a few tries with different folding techniques and positioning myself okay. Whatever you do, don't give up .
Old 03-07-2008, 01:56 PM

I had a leak problem when I put D-Cup too high. And I find turning it helpful to get a right position.

I love my Diva cup and 12 hrs emptying interval.

Keep practising, don't give up. It is worth it.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
It took me FOREVER to get the hang of my DivaCup! It can be a very frustrating thing to learn, but it is SO worth it. I don't know that I can offer any specific advice except to give yourself time - as much time as you need - to get it in/out. I'm still not totally comfortable changing it outside of home, but I do it sometimes. When I first started using my DC, it could take me upwards of ten minutes to get the darn thing in a place where I could take it out, and I always had to use the stem. Occasionally, I just COULDN'T get ahold of it and had to try again later. Same thing for getting it back in. It only gets easier with time, although I've definitely had some regressive moments. I've only figured out in the past week or two that part of the reason I struggle with inserting my DC in the shower is that, after I wash, my membranes are a bit dried out and not amenable to stretching to let the DC in!

Sorry, that was a digression. Anyway, the LiveJournal community someone already linked to is extremely helpful. Also, I agree with the PP who said you should make sure your cervix is in the DC. Running your finger around the cup to really check that it's fully rounded out and in position over your cervix.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS
Old 03-07-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

well- the link ws great- made me feel better at least! I haven't been putting it in far enough- that is most of my problem. But honestly- this cycle is so horrible it is making me rethink our time line for babies. So- maybe tomorrow when I have more energy I will try again.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
well- the link ws great- made me feel better at least! I haven't been putting it in far enough- that is most of my problem. But honestly- this cycle is so horrible it is making me rethink our time line for babies. So- maybe tomorrow when I have more energy I will try again.
You can always try again another day! The LJ community is GREAT, both as a resource and a support group. When I was really struggling with my DC, it really helped to be told it was "okay" to take a break from the DC and to try again later - that I hadn't permanently renounced my right to any other form of menstrual product by purchasing a DC. Good luck!!

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS
Old 03-07-2008, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been using the cup since July07 and this last cycle i finally got it in the right spot so it didn't leak. Before it was catching some blood but still leaking.

I used the punch down fold when inserting the diva cup.

hope that helps

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 03-07-2008, 09:07 PM

With mine, I found it leaked because it hadn't opened it, my vaginal muscles were holding it closed and the fluid just went all around it. It took several tries to finally get it to open up...and I could tell because it turned much more easily then it did if it was held closed.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

Old 03-10-2008, 01:57 PM

I agree with the spinning technique. Sometimes it takes a minute, but I wait until I can make sure the cup spins really easily. I use the C-fold. There's definitely a bit of a learning curve, but I've found it to be really worthwhile.

Once you master it, it's so great. Between the Diva Cup and my Lunapads, it's been such a liberating thing to not have to think at all about picking up supplies each month- ever!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:00 PM

I just bought one today. This thread is not very reassuring.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
Hey, just 'cause *I* sucked at it doesn't mean you will! Some people get the hang of it right off. Even those that don't usually *do* get the hang of it eventually. I've only found 1 or 2 people who ever just flat gave up. And it is SO worth it - financially, comfort-wise, and eco-wise!

PCOS
Old 03-11-2008, 04:15 PM

The key for me is to poke around up there to make sure my cervix is in the cup. If I don't pay attention, it seems to overhang the left side of the cup and it will leak. When the cup is in right for *me* it will be on about a 20 degree angle to the left. I use a c-fold and a spin. It took one cycle to learn the tricks for myself and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it now. (I have a Keeper, FWIW).

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
You will LOVE it. I love mine. Here's my ode to my Diva Cup, complete with a link to my outrageous first attempt with the thing. If I can do it, so can you!
Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 PM

But the literature says it sits down low, so how can it cover the cervix, and what if I can't find my cervix (I never have before)?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
But the literature says it sits down low, so how can it cover the cervix, and what if I can't find my cervix (I never have before)?
During AF, my cervix is so low that I couldn't miss it if I tried. It sits in the cup easily. Every body is different, though, so I guess you just need to see what works for you.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I DEFINITELY never felt, thought about feeling, or tried to feel my cervix before I got a DC. In fact, I still didn't get around to finding it until I'd had my DC for several months. So you don't have to feel your cervix for it to work, although all the fiddling with my DC made it so I could find mine. Also... my DC doesn't sit THAT low, in all honesty. And it has a bit of a tendency to migrate upwards. I think it's fine if your cervix isn't IN your DC, per se... just as long as you don't feel part of it sticking OUTSIDE your DC. That's where problems come in.

PCOS
Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 PM

So can I, um, practice before my period?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, definitely! Lots of people do.

I will say I find it MUCH easier to insert when I'm actually having my period - better lubrication, I think. I know a lot of people new to DC use water-based lube to make insertion easier. I personally felt very weird about buying lube, so I skipped that. The best thing you can do to make it easier is RELAX, something that can be very difficult. Fighting your body is just a losing battle, so try to practice when you have the time and space to relax and not hurry.

You're totally going to love your Diva, I promise!

PCOS
Old 03-15-2008, 12:36 PM

Glad I found this thread! I just got my period back TODAY, after almost 3 years!!

I remember conventional tampons caused cramping for me. Does anyone cramp from having the D Cup in?

Also, what did you use as liners before you were sure it wouldn't leak? Cloth pads?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoliMum View Post
I remember conventional tampons caused cramping for me. Does anyone cramp from having the D Cup in?
No, in fact both turtle and I have seen far fewer cramps with the cup than with tampons.

Quote:
Also, what did you use as liners before you were sure it wouldn't leak? Cloth pads?
Yep. I used them without their stuffers. I had very little leaking.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I see you did not read the link I included JUST FOR YOU.

Yes, you can practice, but know that it's MUCH easier once you're actually bleeding.

ETA: Which monkeyscience already said, but I couldn't miss an opportunity to give Irishmommy a hard time, now could I?
Old 03-15-2008, 06:57 PM

I thought my keeper would cause more cramps because of the size and I was SHOCKED to have such lighter cramps than with tampons. Unbelievable!

I used a cloth pad as a back up the first day. I used a disposable pad as a backup on the second day because I was going to be on an airplane. I didn't need either one, though.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
I see you did not read the link I included JUST FOR YOU.

Yes, you can practice, but know that it's MUCH easier once you're actually bleeding.

ETA: Which monkeyscience already said, but I couldn't miss an opportunity to give Irishmommy a hard time, now could I?

*hangs head in shame*

Though in my defense, I did open the link, then got distracted, and shut everything down without checking again. Then forgot.

But I got my period this morning, so I can do it for real. So far so good, no leaks. But I can feel it, it feels like a tampon does when it's not far enough in, so I have had to adjust it.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I used 7th Generation disposable pads. I just can't stomach the idea of cloth pads. If you already have cloth, though, I'm sure they work fine!

Quote:
But I got my period this morning, so I can do it for real. So far so good, no leaks. But I can feel it, it feels like a tampon does when it's not far enough in, so I have had to adjust it.
Yay! See, told ya it wouldn't be that horrible! Just keep playing with it, it will be your new favorite thing in no time!

I was FINALLY able to quit using my DC for the first time in 5.5 weeks yesterday. I can't imagine how many tampons/pads I would have gone through in that time, not to mention chafing, etc. :

PCOS
Old 03-15-2008, 10:16 PM

Well I emptied it, and I guess this time I inserted it further, as I can no longer feel it. I'm liking so far.

User Tag List