Did a D&C affect your fertility? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-27-2008, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've posted this before, but never got any resposes. Hopefully I will now.

I had a D&C almost 15 months ago when my DD#3 (15 months) was just 10 days old due to retained membranes after her birth. It's not something I want to go through again . Anyway, I thought it was weird that after the procedure, I NEVER had a single cramp, but did have bleeding for a few weeks later. I haven't had a period since then either.

I've joked to DH that they sucked my uterus out too. I've always had AF back by now, and am wooried that the D&C has affected my fertility somehow.

Anyone have any BTDT advice? TIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 03-27-2008, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would think you haven't had AF because of nursing, are you nursing?
I just had a D&C in Jan (missed m/c), and am now pregnant again. My cycle came back like clockwork, and I got pregnant that first cycle back.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#3 of 10 Old 03-27-2008, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'm nursing, I know that has something to do with it. But I've always had AF back by now.

I'm just so frustrated with it, that's all.

#4 of 10 Old 04-01-2008, 04:40 PM

I was not nursing at the time, and had a D and C because of a missed miscarriage and had no fertility problems. We got pregnant the second month we tried. Sorry I can't be of more help. My "guess" is that it has more to do with nursing than the D and C but who knows. Did they do a follow-up ultrasound after the D and C? I know they did with me and found more "products of conception" still there (after an infection and massive doses of antibiotics to clear it up ) and wanted me to have ANOTHER D and C...instead I went to an acupuncturist who helped me to get rid of everything else that was left instead of enduring a second D and C. Just a thought.

Good luck- hope you figure out some answers!!1

Jenny
#5 of 10 Old 04-01-2008, 04:51 PM

Hi there. I have had multiple D&Cs and none of them have ever affected my fertility. I agree, I think it might have more to do with nursing. I was still nursing my first at 10 months old when I found out I was pregnant with my second...I never even had a menstrual cycle. I would check with your OB/GYN if you are concerned. That way you can know for sure whether or not the D&C had anything to do with it. Good luck.
#6 of 10 Old 04-02-2008, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
D&Cs shouldn't have an effect on fertility. In some cases it can create scar tissue on the uterus/cervix.
#7 of 10 Old 04-04-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for posting! I'm having problems with my adrenal glands & my thyroid, which is a big factor in it too. *Sigh*.

#8 of 10 Old 04-09-2008, 04:49 PM

i had a d&c when i was 16 ( i am now 28) and i have had two full term pregnancys so as far as i can see, nope it it didn't affect my fertility!

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

#9 of 10 Old 04-09-2008, 10:31 PM

A D&C can affect the lining of your Uterus. It can cause Asherman's Syndrome. Asherman's syndrome is when the lining grows scar tissue from D&C.

I'm not saying this is the case for you. Are you having any sort of pain? Speak to your doctor about possible getting tested for Asherman's.
#10 of 10 Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 PM

I had a D&C in Dec 06 for retained placenta, and again in Sept 07 for a m/c that wasn't following through. It hasn't affected my fertility, although they did tear my cervix and didn't tell me about it. : I passed a clot the size of a lemon and went to the doc, where they were like "Hey, why are there sutures in here?" Ummm, I don't know...

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page