Can Spermicides Damage, But Not Kill, Sperm? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-05-2008, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I are researching birth control options. Hormonal contraceptives, IUDs, and sterilization are not options for us (for various reasons), so basically that leaves natural family planning and barrier methods. I am planning to chart my cycle when it returns after the birth of our baby (due in a few weeks), but after two closely-spaced pregnancies, we'd really like to wait at least two years before conceiving again, so we're hoping for something a little "safer" than just natural family planning.

Condoms aren't my favorite, so I would like to try some kind of diaphragm or cervical cap, but all the information I've found regarding them says that they are to be used with spermicides. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is a possibility that spermicides could potentially damage sperm without killing them, and if a damaged sperm happened to fertilize an egg, it would be likely to cause birth defects. Has anyone heard anything about this? Is it a big enough risk that it's worth avoiding spermicides altogether? Are there any other options I haven't thought of (other than abstinence!)?

Happily married for 9 years. 7 year old son, 5 year old daughter, 3 year old daughter. jumpers.gif
#2 of 5 Old 04-05-2008, 06:02 PM

This is what I have read....that spermicides can damage the sperm, they can live and actually meet the egg for conception.
#3 of 5 Old 04-06-2008, 12:14 AM

I haven't researched the topic much, so take this as it is. I would use the cervical cap, and listen to your body. start charting right away, (checking CF and CP and temp) and if you suspect fertility dubble up with a condom (if you are ok with that). When ppaf comes back, you should be able to accurately chart your cycles to the point of avoiding pregnancy until desired. GL. I hope someone else can give you more info.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#4 of 5 Old 04-06-2008, 12:18 AM

I know dh had that concern when I got pg with dd#2 while using a diaphragm and spermicide. I asked my CNW who didn't think there was any research to support that, but it was 8 yrs ago. I never really did any further research, so I can't say if what she told me was correct. I can say that I have a healthy 7 1/2 year old daughter who was conceived that way and she has no birth defects or other problems and, oh, diaphragms and spermicide are apparently only about 80% effective. I was in the 20% !
#5 of 5 Old 04-06-2008, 12:54 AM

I use a diaphragm and thought about this. the thing is, any lubricant, marketed as spermicidal or nonspermicidal, has a spermicidal effect because of the pH. If there were a huge risk of deformed sperm causing birth defects or miscarriage, I think we'd have a marked interest in it by now. There is conflicting information about it, but the things I have read that say there is an increased risk of birth defects doesn't convince me.

also, a couple of decades ago, it was thought by some that old sperm (ie if you were using NFP to avoid and conceived 6 days prior to ovulation) led to an increased risk of miscarriage. A later study found that wasn't the case.

For me, there wasn't enough evidence for me to not use a diaphragm or FAM.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page