Can smoking pot keep a woman from getting pregnant? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 08-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read in a fertility book (called Getting Pregnant) that it can negatively effect fertility. But all the anecdotal evidence I know if is that it makes little if any difference at all.
#32 of 40 Old 08-09-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmommy View Post

Ok, now I'm visualizing super stoned sperm, swimming in circles. "dude, what were we suppose to be looking for?" :

:
#33 of 40 Old 08-09-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethshimon View Post
Dude...my mom smoked so much weed that she wasn't able to conceive so she used the power of her altered consciousness and willed me into existence.
omg thats awesome, i'm not laughing at your existence btw, of course! its great that you exist.

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#34 of 40 Old 08-09-2008, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by lunasmommy

Ok, now I'm visualizing super stoned sperm, swimming in circles. "dude, what were we suppose to be looking for?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafairian View Post
:
Dude, where's my egg?

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#35 of 40 Old 08-09-2008, 03:32 AM

On the real . . . I believe the answer is yes and no. NO, DON'T try to use it as birth control!

But having known women who absorb it through their skin while working in the 'industry' (trimming on legal farms out west), it can affect ovulation.

I have never known someone to be infertile because of cannabis (and if it was that much of a problem, they could just reverse the effects by not injesting), BUT I have known COUPLES where both people are heavy users and they don't conceive. So I personally believe that both people in a couple have to be using MJ for it to have any type of real BC effect.

Also, I will say combustion/incineration is not going to have any type of positive effect on anyone's fertility. So if you are interested in damage control: vaporize or tincture, don't smoke!
#36 of 40 Old 08-10-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Keep in mind that our bodies are pretty complex. Some couples have trouble conceiving even when doing everything "right" while others conceive even when using 2 or more forms of contraception. Something that potentially LOWERS fertility isn't going to have that effect on everybody- and even if it does lower a woman's fertility, if her fertility is already very strong, lowering it a bit may not hinder her from getting pg. Maybe it will take her 2 months to get pg instead of one.

Just because women have conceived while using a lot of marijuana is NOT proof that marijuana doesn't affect female fertility. It just proves that it's not a reliable contraceptive.
:
Very good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmommy View Post
Ok, now I'm visualizing super stoned sperm, swimming in circles. "dude, what were we suppose to be looking for?"

--"Mama Bear" : to DD 8/06
Tree-hugging :, queer-loving , liberal, feminist hippie mom! :
#37 of 40 Old 08-10-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahx View Post
But having known women who absorb it through their skin while working in the 'industry' (trimming on legal farms out west), it can affect ovulation.
those ladys "ingest" a metric TON of pot. back in my "wild days" I had a friend who would work LSD and trip really (reallyreallyreally) hard from it absorbing through his gloves into is skin. all I gotts to say is handling any of that stuff all day will mess anyones anything up.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#38 of 40 Old 08-12-2008, 12:44 AM

I think it can inhibit ovulation in some women. I sure know it wouldn't inhibit mine...

I will say that I did have times back in the day where my period would be very delayed if I was using heavily.

Partner to DH geek.gif and Former WOHM, now SAHM dizzy.gif to Sensory & ADHD DD (9), with DD (4) and DS (2)nocirc.gif winner.jpghomebirth.jpg

#39 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post
Well, I also think it depends on each individual and how they handle it, and how they percieve partaking in their mind.
Interesting idea- I wonder if you would be willing to explain more specifically what you mean here.
Do you think it depends on how the person using it perceives it, either a guilty/bad thing harming her or a lovely/ally heloing her- and that this would effect fertility?

Also- how would it "inhibit" ovulation? Would it keep a woman from ovulating?

Just doing research here!

One more question- if it does limit fertility, is it possible that for the women to whom it did not- that they were mostly young enough so that fertility was quite strong? Y'know-
#40 of 40 Old 08-15-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
No but there have been studies showing a LOT of pot can reduce a man's sperm count and make their sperm act stupid.
This!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page