Can smoking pot keep a woman from getting pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2008, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I know this is a touchy subject but I did see a number of marijuana related threads on mdc so I thought I would give it a go.

What do people think about the possibilities of marijuana smoking in the women ( not the man) affecting her ability to conceive?

I have read that it has a lot of estrogen which can either mess with her hormones or with ovulation.

Yet I know a number of women who conceived in periods of their life where they were smoking.

Does anyone have personal experiences with this?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2008, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I sure didn't have any problems conceiving #1 at 15 when I was a stoner. I imagine that it could cause problems in some problems in some people, but I think the only way to know for sure is to check hormone levels before the person starts smoking pot and then check them again after regular smoking.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
Old 07-20-2008, 08:58 PM

people have kids on weed. I can confirm w/certainty at least one.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:08 PM

Dude...my mom smoked so much weed that she wasn't able to conceive so she used the power of her altered consciousness and willed me into existence.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:08 PM

i think its a bunch of malarky. i personally know that you can get pregnant (even if you have been told you CANT get pregnant at ALL) while partaking in mj.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Old 07-20-2008, 09:09 PM

I have never seen any evidence that this could be the case. I don't think phytoestrogens are that strong in general, and certainly not that strong in MJ.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:48 PM
PJJ

MJ has been linked to an increased incidence in ectopic pregnancies.

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/preg/a/blvu041026.htm
Old 07-20-2008, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Keep in mind that our bodies are pretty complex. Some couples have trouble conceiving even when doing everything "right" while others conceive even when using 2 or more forms of contraception. Something that potentially LOWERS fertility isn't going to have that effect on everybody- and even if it does lower a woman's fertility, if her fertility is already very strong, lowering it a bit may not hinder her from getting pg. Maybe it will take her 2 months to get pg instead of one.

Just because women have conceived while using a lot of marijuana is NOT proof that marijuana doesn't affect female fertility. It just proves that it's not a reliable contraceptive.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 07-20-2008, 10:26 PM

No but there have been studies showing a LOT of pot can reduce a man's sperm count and make their sperm act stupid.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 07-20-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethshimon View Post
Dude...my mom smoked so much weed that she wasn't able to conceive so she used the power of her altered consciousness and willed me into existence.
:

Umm, yeah, I was using it as a back up to my other birth control and now I have a daughter! Best accident ever :
Old 07-20-2008, 11:02 PM

Psh, I know for a fact my mom was smoking pot on a regular basis AND on birth control when at least 2 out of the 3 of us were conceived.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

Old 07-20-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethshimon View Post
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
No but there have been studies showing a LOT of pot can reduce a man's sperm count and make their sperm act stupid.
:

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 07-20-2008, 11:07 PM

uhh, abby, I'd like some firm facts on the husband being stupid. I mean, just in general. That was always my theory. on life in general. or on men. I digress. b/c that was always my safety clause. It wad'nt me. nopers. dopers ain't stoopit.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Keep in mind that our bodies are pretty complex. Some couples have trouble conceiving even when doing everything "right" while others conceive even when using 2 or more forms of contraception. Something that potentially LOWERS fertility isn't going to have that effect on everybody- and even if it does lower a woman's fertility, if her fertility is already very strong, lowering it a bit may not hinder her from getting pg. Maybe it will take her 2 months to get pg instead of one.

Just because women have conceived while using a lot of marijuana is NOT proof that marijuana doesn't affect female fertility. It just proves that it's not a reliable contraceptive.
So Ruthla I think I hear you saying that pot may in fact lower fertility, especially for someone whose ferility wasn't that strong? Is this right?

I find it so confusing! On one hand, conceiving seems to be this oh so subtle and complex thing that can be so easilty thrown off by something like pot. Yet then, like you said, people get pregnant all the time with all kinds of stuff in their systems.
It is hard to sort out the truth about pot in this matter because there is so much anti pot propoganda out there.

But then would someone who, lets say, had a mostly fast food diet be less likely to conceive than a person who ate fresh organic home cooked food?

Are peopl who have "low fertility" neccesarily less healthy than those who can conceive?
Because just from looking at the outside of people it doesn't seem like this would be so.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post

Ok, now I'm visualizing super stoned sperm, swimming in circles. "dude, what were we suppose to be looking for?" :
Old 07-21-2008, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
So Ruthla I think I hear you saying that pot may in fact lower fertility, especially for someone whose ferility wasn't that strong? Is this right?
I've never actually studied this particular issue, or read studies on this issue. All the pot smokers I've met personally had given it up LONG before becoming parents- or they're not honest with me about their pot smoking.

I'm just pointing out the realities of statistics here- perhaps better summed up as "the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." Several people have shared anecdotes of women conceiving while using marijuana. That means NOTHING about marijuana's effect on fertility. I can give you anecdotes about women conceiving after a tubal ligation as well, even though there's plenty of evidence that this is rare.

So yes, pot MIGHT lower fertility, or it might increase fertility, or it might have no effect on fertility whatsoever.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 07-21-2008, 03:57 AM

I don't know.

It does have estrogen like substances.

Some ops use estrogen/bcpills when growing it, which I'm sure could be incorporated into the plant and increase the plants compounds. Inhalation is a route into the body that is very direct, not leaving any room for your body to do much alteration on a substance. So direct inhaling of extra estrogen.....maybe.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:07 AM

Obviously anecdotal, but IME it didn't seem to have an effect on my fertility. I smoked on a pretty regular basis (several times a week for several years) before I found out I was pregnant with dd1. The one time we did not use protection was when I conceived her. And I was drunk and stoned at the time .
Old 07-21-2008, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
But then would someone who, lets say, had a mostly fast food diet be less likely to conceive than a person who ate fresh organic home cooked food?
I can honestly say that when my pregnancy happened, DP and I were eating almost exclusively home cooked organic meals.... we still do. It must have had something to do with camping out under the stars for 2 months....wait OMG, was it the organic food!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmommy View Post

Ok, now I'm visualizing super stoned sperm, swimming in circles. "dude, what were we suppose to be looking for?" :
OMG! : That really made me laugh! And I've been dry except for one single occasion for over a year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I've never actually studied this particular issue, or read studies on this issue. All the pot smokers I've met personally had given it up LONG before becoming parents- or they're not honest with me about their pot smoking.

I'm just pointing out the realities of statistics here- perhaps better summed up as "the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." Several people have shared anecdotes of women conceiving while using marijuana. That means NOTHING about marijuana's effect on fertility. I can give you anecdotes about women conceiving after a tubal ligation as well, even though there's plenty of evidence that this is rare.

So yes, pot MIGHT lower fertility, or it might increase fertility, or it might have no effect on fertility whatsoever.
It's a shame that people don't feel that they can be honest about things in life. Seriously, when I conceived, DP and I were partaking daily, as well as having a few beers each night. We were living it up, camping in new places and eating great food cooked over the campfire. We didn't need anything more until my all-day sickness appeared. :Puke I vote that it is too individual and that nothing is true 100% of the time for 100% of the people.

Sorry if this is supposed to be a completely serious post.... I guess I am just reliving some of the 'days of yore'.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmommy View Post

Maybe they should make a movie.. 'Dude, Where's my Ovum?!?' :

Couldn't resist I have no serious answer though, sorry

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 07-21-2008, 09:41 AM

No problems with conception and partaking here.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

Old 07-21-2008, 10:13 AM

Wasn't a problem here. Either time.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:37 AM

I actually thought it made me more fertile....
Old 07-21-2008, 11:45 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I wouldn't trust it as birth control.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 07-21-2008, 02:42 PM

I definately don't think it can be used as birth control, even if both parties are heavy users!

I would think heavier drugs such as cocaine and opiates would have a much stronger effect on your body and fertility (especially considering that addicts don't take time to eat well and stay hydrated), however there are plenty of crack-babies.

I read a study some time ago, done on female patients in a fertility clinic. It seemed to prove that the more pot they had smoked in their lifetime, the less fertile they were. Unfortunately I can't find it! I took that one with a grain of salt, though, since it wasn't adjusted for the age of the women, or for any other factors..

I've read so many studies linking even such things as moderate exercise to infertility that I just feel eh about the whole thing. Besides age, it's pretty much the luck of the draw I think. I know lots of people who do everything wrong as far as their health and have no trouble making lots of babies, and others who do it all right and can't conceive one.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn View Post
uhh, abby, I'd like some firm facts on the husband being stupid. I mean, just in general. That was always my theory. on life in general. or on men. I digress. b/c that was always my safety clause. It wad'nt me. nopers. dopers ain't stoopit.
I said it made sperm stupid not husbands or people in general.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 07-21-2008, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Plus you have to understand that people's idea of 'heavy user' is OUTRAGEOUS! There was a study that linked heart problems and MJ, DH worked it out you would have to smoke an entire cigarette sized joint ever 2 hours to smoke as much as they stated. (that includes waking up every 2 hours to smoke)

Everything in moderation.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 08-04-2008, 01:28 PM

Funny! Actually in the Jamaican studies done (which could easily be held as basically the only really reliable studies of pot and pregnancy, since the women there are exclusively pot smokers (in the study)) it was found that pot really did not have any effect on pregnancy or fertility at all - not even birth weight if the pot were to be continually smoked throughout. Interestingly, it was found that children of pot smoking mothers were likely to be more alert in infancy, have a better developmental process in early childhood and were more "well adjusted" at age five than the children of non pot smoking mother....go figure! Could be something to do with the mother's attitude - I don't know. Anyhow, it's interesting.

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
Old 08-06-2008, 11:50 PM

i think it may have an effect on stickiness. i believe i read a while ago that mj can lower progesterone levels, so while it may not prevent conception it may contribute to miscarriage.

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 08-07-2008, 07:29 AM

Well, I also think it depends on each individual and how they handle it, and how they percieve partaking in their mind.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

User Tag List