Are cycles always 30-32 days? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 08-16-2008, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I have been TTC for a while now and I've been taking Provera to start my period and then Clomid to help with ovulation. Well in July, I finally started my period on my own on CD 38. I told my OB about it and she said that one only ovulates when a cycle is 30-32 days. Is this true? Have any of you had a long cycle and knew that you ovulated?

Erin , loving wife to Dave, mom to 3cat.gif, angel.gifangel.gifDec. '06, angel.gifOct. '08, DD Reagan Oct. 3, 2009

and DS Jack April 4,2012

#2 of 34 Old 08-16-2008, 08:46 AM

Well my cycles tend to be around 24-26 days and this month it's probably going to be 20 or 21 days and I know for sure that I ovulated because I chart and I got a temp rise. So my cycles are not 30-32 days and I definitely ovulate! Not sure about the long cycles but I know some of the women that are in my TTA group have long cycles and they ovulate. You can tell for sure if you start temping and charting.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#3 of 34 Old 08-16-2008, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My cycles have been about 38 days for a number of monthd, and used to be 38 days.
We are still ttc so I dunno but I do have the temp change after day 21.
Seems like many many people have longer cycles.

You can look on FertilityFriend.com and look at chart gallery to see for yourself!

I highly doubt you need to have a 30-32 cycle only to ovulate.
#4 of 34 Old 08-16-2008, 02:36 PM

I have really long cycles - like, generally 40 days at a minimum, and I still ovulate unless they get up in the 50+ range. I know I ovulate from temping, and also the three kids I have to show for it .
#5 of 34 Old 08-16-2008, 04:35 PM

I would look into a finding a new doctor.

I wouldn't want someone rxing clomid that obviously knows so little about the way the human reproductive cycle works.
#6 of 34 Old 08-16-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post

I wouldn't want someone rxing clomid that obviously knows so little about the way the human reproductive cycle works.
I totally agree. It's amazing that all those years in school and the type of ignorance that comes across in the exam room.
#7 of 34 Old 08-17-2008, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I agree. the doctor I saw thought it was "strange" that my cycles are 36-38 days and that I O "late" around CD 21.
I only know from MDC and FF that many many women ovulate CD21 or later and get pregnant, so I was able to not get worried aobut that!

These discussions are great for us to inform eachother, eh?
#8 of 34 Old 08-17-2008, 02:48 PM

While I generally have 30-ish day cycles, every now and then I have ones where I ovulate one to two weeks later than I normally do, creating a 37 - 44-ish day cycle. DS was conceived in a cycle where I ovulated two weeks later than I normally do.

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
#9 of 34 Old 08-17-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
I agree. the doctor I saw thought it was "strange" that my cycles are 36-38 days and that I O "late" around CD 21.
I only know from MDC and FF that many many women ovulate CD21 or later and get pregnant, so I was able to not get worried aobut that!

These discussions are great for us to inform eachother, eh?
That's so silly! Day 21 is not latefor a 36 day cycle! It's right where it's supposed to be.
#10 of 34 Old 08-17-2008, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The last two times I got pg, I had long cycles. I don't know when I ovulated this pg, but it was sometime between day 19-26, and everything obviously went ok.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#11 of 34 Old 08-17-2008, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm at the other end of the spectrum - while TTC, I saw that my cycles were 26-27 days (not the 28-days people talk so much about, and definitely not 30-32 days) and I ovulated every month! There's a lot of variation in cycle length, and everyone's body is different. Some women have "long" cycles and some have "short" ones, and it doesn't mean that only those right in the middle ovulate. =)

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#12 of 34 Old 08-17-2008, 03:54 PM

My cycles are normally around 30 days, but I've noticed if I get sick before ovulation, it'll push my cycle back by a full week and I still ovulate, it's just one week late. So, yes, I still ovulate during my 36-37 day cycles.

I've also had shorter cycles 26 days and at least according to my charts, I ovulate like normal. It just happens earlier or later depending on the length of the cycle.

My obgyn is clueless too. I think most know less than us, sadly. Why is this so easy and they don't get it?
#13 of 34 Old 08-17-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomatuttle View Post
My husband and I have been TTC for a while now and I've been taking Provera to start my period and then Clomid to help with ovulation. Well in July, I finally started my period on my own on CD 38. I told my OB about it and she said that one only ovulates when a cycle is 30-32 days. Is this true? Have any of you had a long cycle and knew that you ovulated?
I think she's full of it. I've had ovulatory cycles much longer and had friends who conceived on like day 100 or later in their cycles (although it's not as common as conceiving with a "fresher" egg.)

On Clomid, I conceived my daughter around cycle day 21, so if I had a normal two-week luteal phase and hadn't conceived, I would have gotten AF on day 35. Obviously OB is overgeneralizing or just plain wrong.
#14 of 34 Old 08-17-2008, 03:58 PM

I would be finding a new OB, that is just plain silly to say that only women with 30-32 day cycles ovulate. My cycle is 29 days and I have a 2 year old DD so I'd say that her advice is definitely not true. You should go get a copy of TCOYF that would help to understand your cycles and fertility signs. Lots of women O later in their cycle, especially if they have a long cycle. It's too bad there are so many Drs who are so uninformed.

FWIW-I had some really screwy cycles after DD was born and my Dr said anywhere between 21-40 day cycles were normal. I had one moth where I had 2 cycles within a 21 day period.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#15 of 34 Old 08-18-2008, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses! I'm glad to know that I am not the only one. I have been charting and have noticed that I have ovulated, at least in my last two cycles. I'm going to test soon to see if this month was the winner. Wish me luck!

Erin , loving wife to Dave, mom to 3cat.gif, angel.gifangel.gifDec. '06, angel.gifOct. '08, DD Reagan Oct. 3, 2009

and DS Jack April 4,2012

#16 of 34 Old 08-18-2008, 07:00 PM

I have only been charting a couple of months, but according to Fertility Friend, I am ovulating, despite having a 35 day cycle one month and a 42 day cycle the next!

--"Mama Bear" : to DD 8/06
Tree-hugging :, queer-loving , liberal, feminist hippie mom! :
#17 of 34 Old 08-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Dia

Oh my goodness.

I am sorry, but when I hear that docs say things like this it literally makes me angry. Yes please find another doctor. He/She is really very wrong and frankly it worries me that this is the person with the Rx pad.

Good luck.

Mama to one amazing ecbaby2.gif
#18 of 34 Old 08-19-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Exactly. The sheer stupidity of some doctors really boggles my mind.

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#19 of 34 Old 08-22-2008, 12:34 PM

Get yourself a copy of Toni Wechsler Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Your doctor is dead wrong and that won't help you get pregnant.
#20 of 34 Old 08-23-2008, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

So just to update you all......I'm pretty sure I'm pregnant!!! I have been testing for the past few days, starting at 14 dpo (cd 38) and while the lines are light, there is definitely a line!! I don't want to get my hopes up though, just in case something bad happens again. I think I'm going to wait for another week or so before going to my ob for a test. Send me good thoughts that this pregnancy sticks!!

and DS Jack April 4,2012

#21 of 34 Old 08-23-2008, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
So just to update you all......I'm pretty sure I'm pregnant!!! I have been testing for the past few days, starting at 14 dpo (cd 38) and while the lines are light, there is definitely a line!! I don't want to get my hopes up though, just in case something bad happens again. I think I'm going to wait for another week or so before going to my ob for a test. Send me good thoughts that this pregnancy sticks!!
::: Yeah!!

may I suggest NOT going to the OB that gave you the shoddy advice? Or maybe do go see him after you deliver and gracefully laugh in his face!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#22 of 34 Old 08-23-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:

100% :

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#23 of 34 Old 08-25-2008, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

well, i will be looking for a new ob because we have moved 2 hours away from the old one. unfortunately, i have had some spotting this evening so the visit likely won't be an exciting one.

and DS Jack April 4,2012

#24 of 34 Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 AM

spotting isn't always a bad sign hope everything works out

and congratulations!!
#25 of 34 Old 08-25-2008, 10:28 AM

as long as the spotting is light and there is no cramping with it you are totally normal! Get thee to a midwife!!

Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#26 of 34 Old 08-25-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still optimistic, but it's really hard because my first miscarriage was just so devastating and ended up being such a long and drawn out process that I would rather just know now. KWIM? I am only about 20 dpo. Can an u/s show anything at this early date to let me know whether or not I've lost the baby?

and DS Jack April 4,2012

#27 of 34 Old 08-25-2008, 07:32 PM

I can understand your anxiety

Have you checked out the pregnancy after a loss forum?
#28 of 34 Old 08-25-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I am only about 20 dpo. Can an u/s show anything at this early date to let me know whether or not I've lost the baby?
well that would make you 7 wks, and the drs. look for heart beats at 8 wks. I think that if you told them you were concerned they would listen for the heart beat!

#29 of 34 Old 08-25-2008, 07:54 PM

Yeah you can still ovulate with a long period or a short period etc. If you chart you will know for sure.

I tell you what I have a 28 day cycle and i surely ovulate, you know I have three kids to back it up.

As for long cycles. i have heard some people just have longer cycles and sometimes your body can hold off on ovulating if you are stressed or something.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#30 of 34 Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 PM

sorry i didn't read the tread first. i will send some sticky vibes. If you have been moving I imagine there is a good chance the spotting could be just from that.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page