Shorter and shorter cycles? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 08-22-2008, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My cycle, normally a very regular 28 days (with occasional forays into 30 days) has suddenly turned on me -- last month was 24 days, and today I started again after only 22 days. :

Background: I'm 33, still nursing my 19 mo but my cycle has been back and regular since 10 months, didn't have any difficulties with my cycle after my other 2 were born. This time things have been difficult since 3 mos pp -- I have had cramping and bloating and pelvic pain since then, randomly at first and then post-O once AF returned. I have had 2 vaginal exams since then, and 2 ultrasounds, and the doc both times shrugged and offered hormonal BC, which I can't take (due to migraine with aura). Basic blood panel and TSH screen came back normal. My periods are much heavier and crampier than they used to be pre-kids -- I am now to the point where I spot for a few days, then need both a super tampon and cloth pad changed every 3 hours or more for a few days, and then progressively lighter flow until I spot for a few more days for at least 8 days of bleeding every month. Add in the menstrual component to my migraines and you see why I am not thrilled at the prospect of shorter and therefore more frequent cycles.

I am definitely not getting enough quality sleep, but the 19 mo old isn't going to change anytime soon. Diet is pretty good. I am supplementing with cal/mag at the moment (just started) to help with the migraines, and have started an exercise routine as well. Stress is actually less this summer than it has been in awhile. I haven't been temping to confirm ovulation, but I believe from my signs that I have been (I keep track of CM & CP, though we don't use FAM anymore as DH had the Big Snip).

Any ideas? Googling is bringing up nothing except perimenopause, which seems unlikely but I suppose is possible -- my mom didn't stop menstruating until past 50, though, so it seems to early. What else could cause cycles to be so short?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page