Chances of getting pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-04-2008, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I have been using the withdrawal 'method' for something like 3 years, and haven't been pregnant yet, granted we don't DTD that often....

What are the chances of getting pregnant using the withdrawal method? Does anyone know, other than websites geared towards teens, the searching is driving me nuts!!

Basically, getting pregnant right now would be awesome for us both, and not knowing every cycle if I am is tiresome. I've charted, but I can't be bothered honestly. We aren't trying, or not trying, therefore there is also often some left over 'love' on me, and often inside I assume too!

Ok, now that I've typed that, it seems as though we are basically as good as TTC, haha.

So, in a perfect world, what do you think the chances are of conceiving using the pull-out 'method'.

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-04-2008, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesperia View Post
So, in a perfect world, what do you think the chances are of conceiving using the pull-out 'method'.
I'm pretty sure it has the hightest conception/failure rate of all...I'm guessing probably upwards of 20% or more thanks to the little pre-swimmers, kwim?

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#3 of 9 Old 11-04-2008, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

I just seems to unfair...you know.

Women trying and trying, but something like upwards of 19% (according to the FDA 1997, I just found it) chances during the first year.

Hmmm, with those %'s I swear I should be pregnant by now.

Thanks for the reply, maybe this year will be in!

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#4 of 9 Old 11-04-2008, 10:29 PM

pull out alone isn't a method.

You have to couple it with timing your fertile times. Then you will have a decent margin of results.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#5 of 9 Old 11-04-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesperia View Post
Hmmm, with those %'s I swear I should be pregnant by now.
lol...i've been thinking the same thing! I had my IUD removed last Nov and we've been using W/d method pretty much (everynow-and-then condoms) since then. Hmmm, I never though about it that way- maybe I should step up my seduction methods so this "accident" will happen already!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#6 of 9 Old 11-04-2008, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I agree, pull out isn't really a "method".

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#7 of 9 Old 11-05-2008, 02:39 AM

We used it for a long time, and I never conceived, but it turned out I had PCOS. Ironically, at my age, even IVF has only a 20% chance. Sigh.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#8 of 9 Old 11-05-2008, 11:53 AM

planned parenthood says with perfect use it is 96% effective, my diaphragm is only 94% effective with perfect use!

of course, if he doesn't get out in time, it's as good as using no method at all. but honestly, if you aren't trying to prevent, and not actively trying to conceive, it sounds like you're TTC Using no method at all, there's about a 20% chance of getting pregnant each cycle
#9 of 9 Old 11-05-2008, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

I know it isn't a method....there is no method to it....unless you ask my DH!

20% per cycle eh.....

And we are TTC according to what we are/aren't using, just not mentally ready to call it TTC.

Waiting for a little 'surprise' then.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page