Not Mamas... Yet Tribe, Part XVII (Winter 08/09) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 499 Old 12-09-2008, 03:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome Zephyrine!

Happy Monday to the rest. Anyone have snow pictures to share? I'm getting restless and longing for some winter white!
#62 of 499 Old 12-09-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Sage.Naissance I am really curious to know where you found info about using a ginger tea to bring on menses? My pregnant friend is currently using ginger tea to help control her extreme morning sickness... I had no idea it has any effect on your cycle, could it cause issues for her pregnancy?
Medicinal doses of ginger are an abortificant. Simple ginger teas would not be sufficient to induce abortion(though I would be concerned about anyone with a tendancy to miscarry) but very high amounts of ginger in combination with other things can do it. I am talking the strength I would use to fight off a nasty cold, where I would boil an inch of root for ten minutes until its almost as dark as beer and drink that several times a day(no more than four though). This information comes from several sources primarily Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing year by Susun Weed.

Parsley is an emmenogogue so it induces menstruation, not regulates it. Vitex is a hormonal alterative that regulates it.

Let me pull out my trusty wise woman herbal...

Other emmenogogues:
Tansy leaves(tanacetum vulgare)
Pennyroyal leaves (hedeoma pulegioides) Tincture 20 drops in hot water, up to three cups per day, up to five days
And as mentioned before: vitamin c

Thanks for reading about my lusty week guys! hehe. Sometimes its fun to kiss and tell.
#63 of 499 Old 12-09-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaclyn7 View Post
Welcome Zephyrine!

Happy Monday to the rest. Anyone have snow pictures to share? I'm getting restless and longing for some winter white!
I'm freezing and everything's covered in snow up here in New Brunswick: No pictures yet. I should go take some though. We had -27C wind chill yesterday. Tomorrow it's meant to go up to 10C with rain. Crazy weather makes lots of mess :P I like the snow, not the mess.
#64 of 499 Old 12-10-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage.Naissance View Post
Parsley is an emmenogogue so it induces menstruation, not regulates it. Vitex is a hormonal alterative that regulates it.

Let me pull out my trusty wise woman herbal...
Oooh thanks for your detailed reply. I have never been sure whether we're allowed to talk about some of this stuff at MDC to be honest. But I would love to learn more if you have any good website recommendations (or even books... although I'm trying not to buy so many hehe)

I think my friend should be ok, she doesn't actually like ginger at all so she's using the minimum she can to help her symptoms. Thanks for the explaination

I've never heard of Vitex before, I'll have to do some reading about it!

: Helen : Currently a veggie, dready, student, NFL nanny!:
#65 of 499 Old 12-10-2008, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally have my art showing at my favorite local coffee shop in town!

I posted pictures on my blog.
#66 of 499 Old 12-10-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post
So, I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally have my art showing at my favorite local coffee shop in town!

I posted pictures on my blog.
Cool!
(One of these days I'd like to be organized enough to be able to do that with my art.)

Emily
Married 7/26/2008 -:- Remembering Joseph *10/9/2009* and two other losses since 9/08 -:- Expectingenergy.gif mid-September.

#67 of 499 Old 12-10-2008, 04:03 PM

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#68 of 499 Old 12-10-2008, 06:09 PM

oiseau - hope you feel better! and good luck with all the possible transitions!

guavagirl - i <3 ur work. it's amazing! good luck at the showing!
#69 of 499 Old 12-10-2008, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the welcome.
I'm up to my knees in snow here too. I currently reside in northern Ontario while attending university.

treehugger.gifQueer Not-A-Mama-Yet, here to read and lurk until it is time to have the babies...

#70 of 499 Old 12-11-2008, 01:56 AM

I am so stressed! I'm trying to get my house all packed up and ready to be painted and carpeted before we leave for our honeymoon on Sunday. Crazy! Oh, and working too. And getting new employees ready to start the first of January. And take care of Christmas planning. And figuring out where we are going to live while my house is on the market. And...and...and...

Calgon! Take me away!

I started Vitex this morning. I decided although I bought the pills, to do the tincture this week since I have OJ available and take the pills on the honeymoon cause they would be easier. I started with 1ml every morning this week. Then next week I'll move to 1 pill in the AM and 1 in the PM. I am hoping that is right. The tincture doesn't have how many mg of stuff is in it.

DH is wanting help moving boxes so I'm gonna go help...

exciting news guava girl about the show...oiseau follow your heart...thank you sage for the info...welcome new NMYers.

OH! And BFF confided they are going to stop preventing in February...exciting times!

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#71 of 499 Old 12-11-2008, 01:43 PM

There's not a ton of snow here, though the ground is covered. However, after all that rain, its now an ice rink everywhere. I took the bus to work yesterday instead of walking because I was having to walk half as fast and didn't want to be late.

I'm still wondering if I might be pregnant (please tell me I'm not the only one that does this, becoming half-convinced I'm pregnant despite chances being really low?). I guess I'll probably have my bubble burst next week as I'm nearly done this pack of pills. It'll be good to know rather than keep wondering though.

We're leaving on the 20th to visit in-laws (9.5 hr drive) so I'm rushing around trying to get everything done before we go.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#72 of 499 Old 12-11-2008, 05:18 PM

We're moving out to Utah on the 19th and we don't have an apartment or even jobs yet! Scary! Chris' sister is going to go look at a couple places or us tomorrow.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#73 of 499 Old 12-11-2008, 09:32 PM

Kyamo: oh, you're definitely not the only who thinks she pregnant...even in times of very low odds.
#74 of 499 Old 12-12-2008, 02:05 AM

Kyamo, I had protected sex once the day after my period once and thought I was pregnant... Every logical thing in the world screamed that I was not pregnant but somehow I thought that I would be.
Interestingly enough after a week long love affair of, I'll be honest, a lot of sex(protected still of course) while I was ovulating and I havent even worried a bit about it... Maybe its because in the first scenario it would be an absolute true disaster, and in the latter case it would at least be with someone I love, so I didnt panic.
Jenne, good luck with the vitex!! It should work well. Please remember not to take it for longer than three months. It is an alterative and should get you on the right track and you shouldnt need to be taking it longer than that. If things dont resolve themselves on the vitex after 3 months, I encourage you to see a naturopath. I am not sure if it is generally the case but I was instructed to stop vitex on my bleeding days. I am not sure who advised you to take it but I would see whether this would be the case with you.

I am always happy to share what info I have!

Things are getting pretty good for me. I am happy. Perhaps just feeling better after having some much needed sex, but its good. I also may have a date soon. A friend of a friend who is just exceedingly handsome has shown an interest in me, and I let it be known that were he to ask me on a date, I would say yes. I have no expectations of it going anywhere serious, but I look forward to a fun few dates. Portland is starting to feel like home.

I am not sure if I told you guys I am moving. I am moving into a wonderful place with some really great people who suit me more. Unfortunately my current roomate(who owns our house) is pissed at me for moving and has resorted to passive agressive notes, and making judgements about my lifestyle! I am welcoming this transition.

I am working on building up a doula collective here and so far it is looking wonderful. I cant wait to see what happens with it! It's all very exciting.

Zephryne, where in Ontario are you? I am from Ontario originally. Sometimes I get an intense craving to move to Toronto, I have to squash it but I have come full circle from hating that city to loving it. It is so kind to me.
#75 of 499 Old 12-12-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage.Naissance View Post
Zephryne, where in Ontario are you? I am from Ontario originally. Sometimes I get an intense craving to move to Toronto, I have to squash it but I have come full circle from hating that city to loving it. It is so kind to me.
I know you weren't asking me, but I live in Toronto.

#76 of 499 Old 12-12-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post
There's not a ton of snow here, though the ground is covered. However, after all that rain, its now an ice rink everywhere. I took the bus to work yesterday instead of walking because I was having to walk half as fast and didn't want to be late.

I'm still wondering if I might be pregnant (please tell me I'm not the only one that does this, becoming half-convinced I'm pregnant despite chances being really low?). I guess I'll probably have my bubble burst next week as I'm nearly done this pack of pills. It'll be good to know rather than keep wondering though.

We're leaving on the 20th to visit in-laws (9.5 hr drive) so I'm rushing around trying to get everything done before we go.
you are definitely not the only one!
#77 of 499 Old 12-12-2008, 04:42 PM

Kyamo, I'll just add one more voice the "you're not alone" chorus. We're definetly not ttc yet, but we're not doing a whole lot of anything for prevention either. Just this cycle I had myself so convinced that we got pregnant. Everything screamed symptom to me -- heartburn, exaustion, slight cramps, etc.. I've finally just come to the conclusion that my PMS symptoms look like pregnancy, therefore I'll never actually know until I miss a period.

Sage (as well as anyone else), I think you might enjoy this website about passive-aggressive notes. I found the book in Barnes and Noble one day recently while browsing, and you made me think of it.

Nearly crunchy mama to one DS born at home 12/09 and married to my best friend one week later signcirc1.gif

#78 of 499 Old 12-12-2008, 05:12 PM

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#79 of 499 Old 12-12-2008, 08:11 PM

Oiseau I am sorry to hear about your colonscopy... I have the deepest sympathies. My father has gone through a number of them. Actually I was at a christmas party in an older and a lot of colonscopy jokes started going around... then all of the fifty-somethings looked at us 20-somethings and were like... oh my god we sound so old...
Oh passive agressive notes... I will entertain myself for a while with that. I have seen the site before but it will bring some much needed light to my situation.
Cheers girls.
#80 of 499 Old 12-13-2008, 09:46 PM

Sorry oiseau. I hope you figure out what's causing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andee View Post
I've finally just come to the conclusion that my PMS symptoms look like pregnancy, therefore I'll never actually know until I miss a period.
Yep, that's why its so easy to get convinced. EVERY pregnancy symptom could be something else instead. Breast pain? Pregnancy or PMS or just random. Nausea? Pregnancy or ate something bad or gas or getting sick. Spotting? Implantation bleeding, or took a pill late, or sex caused it, or random. Cramps? Pregnancy or periods coming. Extra tired? Pregnancy or stayed up too late or stress or coming down with a cold. Etc etc etc.

This time for me, it was a one-time blob of bright red blood 3 weeks ago, and more than usual breast pains for the last 2 weeks. I know, I'm being stupid.

#81 of 499 Old 12-13-2008, 10:52 PM

Kyamo, say hi to Toronto for me! What neighbourhood do you live in?
#82 of 499 Old 12-14-2008, 12:29 AM

I'm finishing up packing and getting ready to drop into bed...but I had to post. In the "I know I'm not pregnant but what if I am category"--I POAS today since both yesterday AM and this AM immediately after breakfast I got sick. BFN (of course) and after I did it I thought, "Well, that was $5 down the drain. How in the world could you be pregnant you haven't had a cycle since June!!!" And then I laughed...

So, we are going on our honeymoon TOMORROW!!!! So excited.

Oiseau-have you had your allergies tested? Particularly since you just came off some antibiotics you might look into that. I had an Upper GI thing done (I didn't want the colonoscopy too) for nothing as it turned out to be a corn, onion, and garlic allergy...either way I hope you feel better soon.

Everyone have a wonderful week! See ya soon!

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#83 of 499 Old 12-14-2008, 11:17 AM

#84 of 499 Old 12-14-2008, 01:23 PM

WE DID IT WE DID IT WE DID IT!!! : :

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#85 of 499 Old 12-14-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post
WE DID IT WE DID IT WE DID IT!!! : :
Congratulations! I am so happy for you two :

Sending you some baby dust
#86 of 499 Old 12-14-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee
WE DID IT WE DID IT WE DID IT!!!
WOOOOOOT!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
BFN (of course) and after I did it I thought, "Well, that was $5 down the drain.
I bought one today from Dollarama for $1. I have seen them at Dollar Tree in the States for $1 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageNaissance
Kyamo, say hi to Toronto for me! What neighbourhood do you live in?
PMing you.

#87 of 499 Old 12-14-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiij View Post
Congratulations! I am so happy for you two :

Sending you some baby dust
Thanks! Apparently I will be able to conceive on/around the 24th. Woohoo!

#88 of 499 Old 12-14-2008, 08:28 PM

yay! I'm so glad you finally got everything to work out!!! Be sure to enjoy it while you're working on procreating ;-)

#89 of 499 Old 12-15-2008, 02:19 AM

This is random, but I need some advice.

I want to tell a family that I've recently started babysitting for, that I want to quit, but I can't think of a way to do it w/o sounding insulting. I live in a smallish town, so I'll probably see them from time to time, and I just don't want it to be weird.

The reason is that their son has got some bad behavior and it really stresses me out. I have stress/anxiety issues and I'm really trying to get that all down to a minimum esp. since we're TTC.

I'm a good babysitter. I babysit for several other families so I know kids aren't perfect, but this kid seriously raises my blood pressure. (well, it feels like it.)
Plus, their last babysitter quit too, so I know it's not me.

Anyway, what would you say?

Thanks!
#90 of 499 Old 12-15-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post
This is random, but I need some advice.

I want to tell a family that I've recently started babysitting for, that I want to quit, but I can't think of a way to do it w/o sounding insulting. I live in a smallish town, so I'll probably see them from time to time, and I just don't want it to be weird.

The reason is that their son has got some bad behavior and it really stresses me out. I have stress/anxiety issues and I'm really trying to get that all down to a minimum esp. since we're TTC.

I'm a good babysitter. I babysit for several other families so I know kids aren't perfect, but this kid seriously raises my blood pressure. (well, it feels like it.)
Plus, their last babysitter quit too, so I know it's not me.

Anyway, what would you say?

Thanks!
guavagirl - i would probably say something along the lines of this "i'm sorry, for personal reasons i am going to have to stop babysitting for you". i'm a non-confrontational person, and i really hate to cause drama for myself, so i would keep it vague. if they kept pressing you for reasons, you could mention that you are TTC and are trying not to cut back on what you've been doing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page