Mothering Forum banner

Not Mamas... Yet Tribe, Part XVII (Winter 08/09)

28K views 498 replies 57 participants last post by  knittygritty 
#1 ·
Welcome to the Not Mamas... Yet Tribe, Part XVII (Winter 08/09)

(with thanks to Rico'sAlice for most of this text)

Iaorana! As-salaamu `alaykum! Merhaba! Γεια σου! Ãyubõván! Jambo! Hola! Boa tarde! Ciao! Guten Tag! Bonjour! Magandang Hapon Po! Selamat petang! Konnichiwa!

Hello! Returning members, glad you made it over, hope the trip wasn't too hard. Just put your feet up and relax for a while. We've got organic lemonade, coffee (regular and Swiss-water-process decaf), pastured raw milk, kombucha, kefir, whatever you're into. (No EBM available here- Sorry. Check out the Love Threadfor that.)

Newbies! We are sooo excited you're here. We hope you stay a while and never leave... unless it is because you become a mama.

Anyway, this thread was originally started to give those of us who are not yet parents a forum here at MDC to discuss the unique concerns of those who are into NFL, and excited about AP but don't have any munchkins to apply these concepts to...yet. (Although some of us have furbabies, young family members, students, etc. that we are involved with.)

As I mentioned, a few of us have gotten pregnant while here, others are TTC now, some in the next few years, some of us aren't even close. We've also had the occasional visitor that is a "Not Mama...EVER" ie, male nannies and such. We're happy to have all y'all!

So here we are. And here you are. Let the party begin!

NMY Offshoot Threads

NMY Graduates Love Thread
NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part Two
NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part Three
NMY Fitness Thread

Official NMY Status Roster
Getting to know you...getting to know all about you...

Post in the thread if you want your information added, updated, or changed. If it seems as if I didn't see it, send me a PM. Thanks!

Graduates

Katt, age 30 mama to Teotimo since 12/27/06
~Shanna~ mama to Fenton Edward since 3/26/07
Holiztic mama to Quinn since 4/13/07
BeccaBear, age 28 -mama to Alexander Lewis since 5/6/07
Rico'sAlice, age 27 - mama to Johannes Edward since 5/20/07
turtle81 , age 25 - mama to Phillip since 6/02/07
farmama, age 29 - mama to Natalina since 7/17/07
Maela, age 26 - mama to Maev since 7/17/07
jodib, age 29 - mama to Rosalie Jayne since 7/23/07
PiePie, age 36 - mama to since 8/16/07
arelyn, age 25 - mama to Micaiah since 8/16/07
hazieluna, age 35 - mama to Aidan Sebastian since 9/15/07
ATD_Mom, age 32 - mama to Alasdair since 9/16/07
Sihaya, age 24 - mama to Calvin since 12/22/07
GathererGirl, age 27

Pregnant

Alcyone, age 29
blizzard_babe
cking
snozzberry, age 29
witchygrrl, age 29
zoebird, age 31
babysnyder'smommy, age 25
MujerMamaMismo, age 29
Safigee, age 28
JessicaRenee
Texmati

TTC Currently

binkin
DvlDg, age 24
MrsMiller, age 22
oneKnight, age 21
barose
CalaRei
CourtBChase
Kriket, age 24
MBFoley, age 32
Zejh, age 31
GuavaGirl, age 25
Mama Khi, age 30
Patronia, planning on August 2008
sphinxie, age 29, planning on Spring 2008
stretch358, age 31, planning on Summer 2008
LibertyBelle, planning on Mid-October 2008
willowbean
MamaDK
APBTlover
Angi

TTC 2009

AsYouWish
doulaLeah
crunchysamma
Hellga
MEcatlady17 -25
Monarchgrrl - 30
Knittinanny - 27
jaclyn7 - 24
Tippy
Bazile - 22
Oztok5, around...Aug, Sep, Oct
Jenne - 31

TTC 2010 and beyond

Charliemae, age 20
Just_Isabel, age 22
Kyamo, age 23
Lambsauce, age 18
Rico'sAlice, age 27 (TTC #2)
Shaina, age 20
Sk8ermaiden, age 23
CAndMe, age 19
Kimiij, age 24
ashcav
akaisha, age 22
Oiseau
Freud, age 25
Hesperia, age 21
JlyGrnMigt, age 29

Not Sure Yet

anonyma, age 33
asoulunbound, age 20
joiedevivre184, age 19
ladyinred, age 27
MsHelena, age 22
TwilightJoy, age 21
justbecca, age 21
MonkeyScience
Sage.Naissance
Andee, age 23
Neuromancer
helen_emily, age 22
Zephyrine, age 19

Planning to Adopt

w8ing4myDD, age 38, adopting from China in 2009/10
crunchysamma
justbecca
MamaDK

Birthdays

January
MamaDK...6th
Tippy...15th

February
Monkeyscience...5th
Akaisha...6th, 1986
snozzberry…Kelly…9th, 1978
Kyamo…10th
Sihaya…Steph…12th, 1983
Neuromancer...19th, 1977

March
Frog...2nd
justbecca...5th
stretch358…5th
Alcyone…Lorry…7th, 1978
CAndMe...8th
AsYouWish...13th, 1977

April
MujerMamaMismo…4th, 1979
Lambsauce…Allie…7th, 1989
Rico'sAlice…Alice…9th, 1980
JessicaRenee...10th, 1988
~Shanna~…14th
oneKnight…14th
anonyma…21st, 1974
willowbean....26th, 1979
CalaRei....27th
APBTlover

May
Binkin…4th
witchygrrl…12th
ashcav...22nd, 1987
blizzard_babe…Sara…24th, 1979
Patronia...29th

June
Sk8ermaiden...20, 1984
Jenne…24th
PiePie…27th
helen_emily

July
Angi...2nd, 1970
arelyn…4th, 1982
ladyinred… 4th, 1981
Kriket...5th, 1984
CourtBChase...11th
doulaLeah...14th, 1982
GatherGirl... 15th, 1982
Jaclyn...July 23, 1984

August
cking…Christina…4th
Oiseau...5th
Andee...9th, 1985
Charliemae…Charlene…14th, 1987
Sage.Naissance...28th
MEcatlady17

September
Kimiij...1st...1984
DvlDg...5th
babysnyder'smommy...6th
Bazile...7th, 1985
Hellga...16th, 1984
Mama Khi…25, 1977

October
JlyGrnMigt...8th...1979
BeccaBear…Rebecca…10th, 1979
MrsMiller…Barbara…12th, 1984
Hesperia...12th

November
zejh...18th
Monarchgrrl...20th, 1977

December
barose...1st
Shaina…5th, 1988
semisnotapirate…Sara…24th, 1984
Knittinanny...12th

Hey baby…what's your sign?

Capricorn
farmama
MamaDK
Tippy

Aquarius
Just_Isabel
Katt
Sihaya
snozzberry
monkeyscience
Akaisha

Pisces
Alcyone
AsYouWish
Holiztic
MsHelena
stretch358
justbecca
CAndMe
Frog
Neuromancer

Aries
MujerMamaMismo
oneKnight
Rico'sAlice
~Shanna~
JessicaRenee

Taurus
anonyma
binkin
wateraddict
witchygrrl
CalaRei
willowbean

Gemini
blizzard_babe
Maela
w8ing4myDD
Sk8ermaiden
Patronia
ashcav
helen_emily

Cancer
Jenne
PiePie
zoebird
doulaLeah
Angi
CourtBChase
kriket
Ladyinred
Kriket
MBFoley

Leo
Charliemae
cking
Andee
Oiseau
MEcatlady17
Jaclyn

Virgo
DvlDg
Kimiij
Sage.Naissance
Hellga
Bazile

Libra
BeccaBear
Mama Khi
MrsMiller
babysnyder'smommy
JlyGrnMigt
Hesperia

Scorpio
zejh
Monarchgrrl

Sagittarius
Shaina
barose
Knittinanny

Post in the thread if you want your information added, updated, or changed. If it seems as if I didn't see it, send me a PM and I will do my best to fix it. Thanks!

See less See more
#102 ·
Hey all!
Holiday plans-wise Chris and I will have a Christmas eve dinner at my mom's (maybe go see his parents during the day, if he wants) then on Christmas day we drive up to NY and visit my dad and little sister for a few days. Then I have to come back to do inventory at the store.
:

#103 ·
for the holidays...
dh and i are leaving this weekend to drive home (FL) for the holidays. we are going to be there for 2 weeks, so that should be nice. i always love going home and seeing my fam and friends, esp since we go home only 1x/yr.

i hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! i hope 2009 is filled with happiness and love for everyone.

#105 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyinred View Post
Kyamo - I'm sorry to hear you're not pregnant yet ( but yay divacup!) I'm sure it will happen when it's meant to happen

I know... its not the best time anyways (hence the birth control... lol). Can't help being a bit sad though.

#106 ·
I just wanted to peek into your thread and let any of the older NotMomsYet know that some of us were later when we had our children.
I didn't meet my husband until I was 38 and I did not get married until I was 41 and then I had DS when I was 43!!!! I know that must seem like an eternity but you know it was worth it. and I am convinced the baby/child comes at the exact right time.

I send you guys big hugs and I hope 2009 is the year where a bunch of you become mommies!

Happy Holidays!

#107 ·
So here's a little update on our TTC plans.

We were planning on trying this cycle. I went to the dentist (hadn't been in a while) and I have a cavity, and my gums are not in the best shape. So now we're thinking about waiting another month until all of that gets taken care of. I'm a little bummed. I know it sounds pathetic, but when you're that close, and then it's like "oh nevermind", it's a slight let down. Esp. since we have this little vacation planned, which happens to be right around when I ovulate. We thought it would be a great TTC kick off vacation too! (we keep going back and forth on what we should do, trying to determine what is safe and what isn't)

...and to top it all off, yesterday as I left a house I was babysitting at, the little baby did not want me to go. He didn't want to let go of me and was all upset when I was leaving. This hasn't happen before with him. Maybe it was because we did a lot of snuggling that day. Anyway, I was fine, but then as I was driving down the road I got really sad all of a sudden, got home, and just started crying. I was missing this kid already! My poor DH was like....."uh I'm sorry you're so sad, but he's not even your baby honey.???" He's constantly baffled by the power of maternal instincts.

Oh, and Tracy, thanks for the reality check.

-Alisha

#109 ·
Hey all!

I'd like to join you ladies.

I'm Lindsay; I live with my dp/fiance Dave, two kitties and a huge GSD in beautiful Florissant, MO.

I found MDC through a link to a thread and just started reading... and here I am!

We're "not not TTC" and are looking at possibly having to deal with some fertility issues when we really start TTC for real. :\

#110 ·
Welcome, talk de jour!

I've been hiding out for a little while, working on a "sock" monkey that I thought was just too cool. Unfortunately, the little girl that I gave it to didn't like it. Those were her exact words on first sight -- "I don't like it."
Well, that was 50-some-odd hours down the drain. When I asked why, she told me she wanted a princess barbie instead...

In other news, DP's and my fifth dating anniversary was on the 15th! I can't believe it's been FIVE YEARS already!

I gotta go. Happy Holidays!

#111 ·
We had a lovely, if bittersweet Christmas. Both Kyle and I lost a grandparent this year (his in December just before his birthday) and I had a chemical pregnancy that ended on the 22nd, but honestly it has just brought us all that much closer.

We're really struggling with when to try...

Andee & welcome Talk du jour

#112 ·
Andee, that monkey is so cool! I'm sure once the barbie-lover turns about 14, that sock monkey will be the coolest thing she owns.

Jaclyn, sorry for your losses! The holidays can be a hard enough time without extra sadness!

We did absolutely nothing for the holidays. DP has/had the flu and a terrible cough and spend 5 days asleep on the couch. I knitted and read books. All in all, not so bad. I'm fairly bummed to be back at work after all that relaxing, though!

#114 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaclyn7 View Post
We had a lovely, if bittersweet Christmas. Both Kyle and I lost a grandparent this year (his in December just before his birthday) and I had a chemical pregnancy that ended on the 22nd, but honestly it has just brought us all that much closer.

We're really struggling with when to try...

Andee & welcome Talk du jour
I'm sorry for your losses.

#115 ·
Checking in... Aside from our Christmas Eve flight turning into a Christmas morning flight, arriving at my parents' house at 4am, it was a really good Christmas--the first one my parents and I have actually spent at home in 5 years (we've been going to Florida in recent years), and the first Christmas for me and dh as a married couple!
:

As far as TTC goes, dh and I have decided to say "screw it" on worrying about timing--if I get pregnant this month, I may have to end up missing my cousin's wedding in the fall, but, well, it could also take a few more months, so why bother worrying about the what-ifs on when it happens?

Anyhow, the really good news is that our finances seem to be very much under control (a large part of why we're not worried about timing), and with any luck, dh's work hours will be more normal within a month when the project he's working on goes online.

Oh, and the sock monkey is so cute! (I know my mom would've been mortified if I'd said anything negative to someone about a gift--I was on strict orders to be polite even if someone gave me something that was obviously a cheap drug store toy, and my mom did enough sewing that I could always tell if someone had put real effort into something...)

#116 ·
talk de jour
Nice to meet you.

jaclyn7 - I'm sorry you've been struggling with so much loss but glad that it's brought you closer to your Dp. I don't know what it is about December. I lost three of my grandparents in Decembers of different years. I hadn't even heard of chemical pregnancy until earlier this year when one of my friends had one. Luckily she's managed to get pregnant for real now and is due in July
: I hope that things become clearer for you about when you want to try.

zejh - Seems like a really good attitude to take, just have fun and see what happens
Enjoy!

oiseau - I'm sorry your Christmas started off rocky but it's great that it turned around.

Our Christmas was pretty great. We started out not so good, weather kept us home Christmas Eve and I was afraid we wouldn't get to go to stay with my family like we'd planned but the weather was better on Christmas day so we left at 6am to drive for 6 hours! It was crazy but really really fun. I love my family and Df seemed to really enjoy meeting my extended family. We played some crazy games, ates lots of awesome food and came back on Saturday. It's nice to be home. I'm trying to get lots of cleaning and organizing done this week before school starts up again.

Hope everyone's enjoying the last few days of 2008
:
:
:

#117 ·
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! It's getting quiet in here.

jaclyn7,
s
oiseau, are you feeling any better? How'd your project go?
zejh, that's awesome that you have all your financial ducks in a row.
Any news on ttc? I just can't hardly wait until we get to that point!

Thank you everyone for the nice comments on the monkey.
I'm very proud of him. Things are going pretty blah over here. DP and I have been sick for almost three weeks with what we think is bronchitis. I was a little worried that we'd have to go get antibiotics (we are currently without insurance), but apparently they don't work on bronchitis anyway because it's viral. So I'm just waiting to feel better...

I don't generally do these, but does anyone have any new year's resolutions?

#118 ·
Thank you all for your kind wishes. It's snowing (again) here in Vancouver and I'm putting away our Christmas/solstice decorations - another year has begun.

I think for 2009, my big resolution is to let go of things more easily and go with the flow. I'm so uptight in many ways and the fear of everything not being just perfect is tiring. I'm not really sure what is holding us back from actively trying besides materialistic expectations and my fear of failure. We've sorta tried twice with the two losses, but we've hidden behind the "sorta" as somehow that dimishes our pain or our desire to start a family and I know we have both outgrown that safety net...

#119 ·
My New Year's Resolution is to try and stay true to the following three words: Discerning, Hopeful, and Persevering. I'm trying to be discerning about the path that I'm supposed to take this next year, trying to be hopeful about new opportunities, and try to persevere through any crap that might come my way.

I adapted this idea of a three-word resolution from the Motherlode blog/column on NYTIMES. The author suggested creating a one-word New Year's Resolution. Well...I couldn't stick to one, so I came up with a three-word New Year's Resolution.

#120 ·
My school is deciding on what applicants to accept in exactly three days. At this time on the sixth a bunch of women will be deciding my future. I am feeling very sick thinking about it, and hope that you will all send good vibes on the sixth in support of me getting into school. So much is dependant on this, I am getting more freaked out by the day!!!

My new years resolution is to bring in some money this year, and be better at saving.
I had a wonderful new years, very very good new years kiss....
All moved into my new house and things seem to be good, but I cant get this whole Birthingway decision out of my head.

#121 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andee View Post
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! It's getting quiet in here.

zejh, that's awesome that you have all your financial ducks in a row.
Any news on ttc? I just can't hardly wait until we get to that point!
Well, financial ducks are getting close, but it looks like the postal service is making things a little less happy by getting one or two of our credit card bills in late.
: But the paying off part isn't worrisome.

As far as ttc, my body's being a little weird this month. We actually first started trying right after we got married in July, and I actually was pregnant back in August, but that only lasted through early September (I only really knew I was pregnant for barely 2 weeks). We were intending to try again right away, but stuff came up in October and November to sidetrack us, and the past month the problem seems to be that my body's decided too much is going on right now... (theater, travel, general stress) The frustrating thing is how easy it was last summer, and of course, trying not to stress is not a good way not to stress...

Anyhow... hopefully that'll happen sooner rather than later. (And, yeah, if it doesn't happen this month, well, that means we don't have to worry about getting to my cousin's wedding in the fall, right? 'cause, it would be hard to get several states over from here either very very pregnant or with a very very young baby... But still, if I had to pick one dilemma to have this year, I'll take having to skip a wedding because I'm having a baby!)

So, yeah... New Year's Resolutions: (1)Get everything in order, and (2)Don't stress, dwell, worry, etc. Just get stuff done, then enjoy life. (Easy to say when the hormones aren't swinging at me...) and related, but I'll give it its own number: (3)Last year was last year, good and bad. I can't live in the past on the good things, and I don't need to think about the bad things anymore (just deal with anything related as it comes up, obviously)

#122 ·
Hi everyone. Would it be okay if I join in?

I'm Kit and I've been married a couple of years. No little ones yet, but we're (slowly) moving that direction. Sometimes I wish we were ready already(!) and other times I'm content to let things unfold as they will.

I hope maybe it will be helpful to hang here with some folks in a similar situation. Hope to get to know you!

#124 ·
Slightly back onto the buying things for baby, I received a gift card for Amazon.ca from my work golf tournament in September and I finally decided that I just had to take care of it. So, I grabbed a few books that I've wanted for a while...

"The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer, "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth", "Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife" by Peggy Vincent, and "Natural Pregnancy Book" by Romm Aviva!

I'm so excited, I've really slacked off with my Mama reading for too long.

#125 ·
So we just moved from Monterey to Salt Lake City a couple weeks ago. I love our little apartment and its location (a 5-minute walk from everything--Church, store, restaurants, Chris' school). Right now we're looking for work and enjoying the snow. :)

Bed life is good, hehe. It's amazing, like we never had any issues. We're so happy! Things have been going so well that...

I think I'm pregnant!!! I've just been getting the impression over and over again...and spotting...I'm going to take a test next week.
We're trying not to get too excited until I test, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.