I was born in the 70s Tribe.. a revival! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 99 Old 01-10-2009, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We did this last year. If you were born in 1979, you will be turning 30 this year!

I was born in late 1971.

I remember the bicentennal

I remember the gas shortage (my grandparents could not drive across country that summer)

I remember when Elvis died

I remember when Reagon was shot

I remember All in the Family on primetime, not TVland.

I remember when the space shuttle took off for the first time and also when one exploded

So we did this last year and it was a huge hit. State your year and what you remember etc!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#2 of 99 Old 01-12-2009, 04:09 PM

I was born in 1978. . .so most of what I remember happened in the 80's!

I do have an autographed picture of President Reagan tho'.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#3 of 99 Old 01-12-2009, 08:10 PM

I was born in 1975

I remember the very first walkmen and they cost over $100 and were only Am/FM no cassette

I remember watching Challenger blow up and the Punky Brewster episode about her dealing with it

I remember when Micheal Jackson was black, cool and not creepy

I remember Mary Lou Retton winning the olympics and watching the Nadia movie and wanting to be just like them

I remember Fraggle Rock on HBO, Saturday Morning Cartoons and the start of MTV and Cable TV

I remember Cabbage Patch Kids and was told not to take mine outside so no one would steal it from me (they did steal them from kids the first year!)

I remember Atari, Nintendo (remember the Robot that came with it?) and yet my parents first bought me a Texas Instruments

I remember C prompts and BBS's

I remember a lot of crazy things! hahah this was fun!

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#4 of 99 Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 PM

Born in 73

I remember when John Lennon was shot.

Didn't cabbage patch kids come in an actual head of cabbage the first go round? I never was fortunate enough to get one.

I remember Pong and Commodore 64 computers.

Also challenger exploding.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#5 of 99 Old 01-12-2009, 11:02 PM

I was born in 1969....is there a 60s mama tribe ?

I remember all the stuff the 70s mamas will....but I was a few years older when it happened !

I remember seeing Nixon on TV as president, on our black and white TV

...having a black and white TV....getting our first color TV.....

...my parents talking about Watergate....Ford being president...

...The Ford vs Carter presidential race.....

...The Karen Silkwood case....

...comic books about the "energy crunch" and long lines for gas

....seeing Blondie (the band) on TV

....seeing the Sargent Pepper's movie in the theater (the one with the Bee Gees doing all the Beatles' songs)

...heck I remember going to movies that had cartoons (old Chip and Dale shorts) before the movie and actual intermissions halfway through the movie !!!!

....seeing One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in the theater with my parents because they couldn't get a babysitter I guess ?

.....my older cousin going to anti-disco rallies and stomping on disco records

....KISS (yuck)

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#6 of 99 Old 01-12-2009, 11:05 PM

I was born in 1974 and I remember ... well, my earliest memories were from the three years I lived in Scotland when I was 4, 5 and 6 years old.

I remember:
Petting the hairy cows (highland cattle)
Kissing the Blarney stone at Blarney castle
Visiting LOTS of castles
Tales of the Loch Ness monster and looking out for it in lakes on car rides
Attending Primary 1 at a local school (non navy school) and how one day they brought a lamb as we all sat in a circle and took turns bottle feeding the lamb
Missing the school bus ... a lot!
Milk delivered once a week in glass bottles by the milkman

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#7 of 99 Old 01-12-2009, 11:19 PM

I was born in 1975.

I remember that Reagan came to a field in my town to visit the school children. It was very cool, he came in a huge helicopter.

I remember the Challenger. My 3rd grade teacher applied to be the first teacher in space and made it through the first 2 "rounds" of applicants. He was so disappointed that he didn't get accepted. He cried when it blew up.

I had a Cabbage Patch (but not those very first expensive ones.) Still have them, my DDs love them.

I have a flag from the bicentennial that my grandfather got for me. They changed out the flags at the White House a bunch (I want to say every 10 mins?) and he got me one of those flags. I was a baby so I don't remember it though.

I, too, remember when Michael Jackson was black and very cool. I can moonwalk with the best of them.

I can do the Electric Slide in my sleep.

I not only had a Commodore 64 but I STILL have it, upstairs in a closet. Still works, too.

My dad still has our Atari system and all the games "for the grandkids to play with". Yeah, right.

My big confession. I am a fan of NKOTB. Went to their concert this fall and screamed like a teenager again!

I wore my bangs in the "claw" through middle school.

I wore Bonnie Bell Lipsmackers around my neck.

Awesome thread.
Beth
#8 of 99 Old 01-13-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscal View Post

I, too, remember when Michael Jackson was black and very cool. I can moonwalk with the best of them.

Awesome thread.
Beth
This is how I tell someone's age. I ask who did the moonwalk. Anyone under 40 will say Michael Jackson. Anyone over 40 will say Neil Armstrong.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#9 of 99 Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscal View Post
I remember the Challenger. My 3rd grade teacher applied to be the first teacher in space and made it through the first 2 "rounds" of applicants. He was so disappointed that he didn't get accepted. He cried when it blew up.

I had a junior high teacher that also was in the finals to go on Challenger. He made it far enough that they were sending him to go do the space training, but his wife found out she was pregnant and asked him to drop out. He had a very hard time talking about Challenger without tearing up. They named our school after the shuttle.

I also had to add;

I remember seeing The Muppet Movies at the Drive-in, along with the Star Trek movies (I will never forget the ear bugs from Wrath of Khan ) and Return of the Jedi. I miss the drive-in!

I also remember thinking that Grease was the coolest movie ever! We would sing all the songs and dance to the record.

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#10 of 99 Old 01-13-2009, 06:51 PM

I was born in 1977.

I remember jelly shoes and saddle shoes.

I remember bangles, putting the corner of your shirt in one of those plastic circles, and cinching up your jeans at the ankle. Your stonewashed jeans.

I remember Michael Jackson being a frickin' hearththrob and NKOTB being the best thing ever.

I remember my brothers raving about the "incredible special effects" in Star Wars.

For Mormons out there - I remember Saturday's Warrior coming to video and the mini-hysteria that created, being responsible for building our own church house, and fund raising in the community for extra funds.

I remember our grade school teacher applying to be a member of the shuttle team, being soooo disappointed to get to the final round and be rejected, and then crying tears of shock when we watched the shuttle explode.

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#11 of 99 Old 01-13-2009, 07:00 PM

I was born in 1974 and I remember...

my sister being born in 1977 and getting to watch Star Trek on t.v. in the hospital (we didn't have a tv at home)

Empire Strikes back in the theater

watching the 1980 Summer Olympics on our tiny black&white tv

Voting for the Donkey in first grade and having the Elephant win by a landslide (indicative of the real election)

Atari

the really cool Nike sneakers

Jordache Jeans

ABBA and Blondie my two most favorite bands when I was 5

feather hair clips

tube tops with short shorts

very cool Mountain Dew commercials
#12 of 99 Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Its weird how we all remember the space shuttle exploding. That was a rough one though.

Did anyone have beaded safety pins they gave all their friends for "friendship" pins? I also had these ribbon tied barrettes.

#13 of 99 Old 01-14-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Its weird how we all remember the space shuttle exploding. That was a rough one though.

Did anyone have beaded safety pins they gave all their friends for "friendship" pins? I also had these ribbon tied barrettes.

We made friendship bracelets out of embroidery thread or something of the like.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#14 of 99 Old 01-16-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
If you were born in 1979, you will be turning 30 this year!
That's me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
I was born in 1978. . .so most of what I remember happened in the 80's!
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl136 View Post
I remember the very first walkmen and they cost over $100 and were only Am/FM no cassette
I don't know if I remember the *very first* walkmen, but I do remember when they were still pretty novel. I remember blank tapes even being pretty special. My sibs and I would make these hilarious radio show tapes as one of our regular games. We also made Saturday Night Live skits and recorded some of them on tape. I remember when that show was still funny. We didn't have a tv until I was a pre-teen, but out of all the pop culture things, I remember that pretty well. I remember Sesame Street being so hip and I remember watching Mr. Rogers after we finally got a tv even though I was too old, just to "catch up" or something. I remember the Cosby Show. That was basically the only regular show I ever caught. Oh, and I also remember in my young teen years waking up early on Saturdays to watch these parenting shows (I always wanted to be a mom). My favorites were the one with Dr. Brazelton and the one hosted by Leeza Gibbons (did I spell that right?!)!

I also remember the first CD players. And the first CD players that became affordable.

Quote:
I remember watching Challenger blow up
I definitely remember that too. I think we might have been watching it on the tv at school, but the memory is faded.

Quote:
I remember when Micheal Jackson was black, cool and not creepy
Me too!

Quote:
the start of MTV
I remember MTV, and later VH1, used to have music LOL. I remember we all used to watch music videos all the time. Even without a tv as a kid I remember this.

Quote:
I remember Cabbage Patch Kids and was told not to take mine outside so no one would steal it from me (they did steal them from kids the first year!)
I remember Cabbage Patch Kids. I never got one, but I remember my friends' and I *think* my mom might have at one point given in and purchased a Cabbage Patch mock-up doll head at the craft store and sewed me a Cabbage Patch kid herself...but not sure about that.

Quote:
I remember Atari, Nintendo (remember the Robot that came with it?)
I don't remember that as personally (though I do remember my cousins having Nintendo and being irritated when we'd go over to one of their houses and everyone was so focused on video games that no one would play...and I never wanted to join in and everybody thought that was weird), but I do remember my sisters playing Packman on the computer, with the green screen. My dad worked in computers so we were one of the earlier families to get a home computer, and then one of the earlier to get printers (remember the sound of those early printers and how all the pages were attached...and remember that font everything had??).

We were also among the first families to use the internet. I remember when only me and one friend from church, whose dad also worked in software development, knew about the internet among our peers. We used to get on those green screen DOS-run computers at her house and get into the very first among the chat rooms. They were called "coffee houses." For a while it was so cool. It took a year or two for creepy guys to start coming on, or at least for us to begin noticing them. And then there wasn't much (if anything) out there about "internet dangers" so in my very young teen years I would stay up late at night and chat with creepy people because I was flattered ...and my parents never indicated that they knew anything, though they did eventually begin limiting my internet time because I was on too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
Visiting LOTS of castles
LOL I didn't get that opportunity, but I do remember this big castle structure outside of Denver called "Casa Bonita." It was this restaurant, er, uh, adventure, and the only time I ever got to go was when one of the girls in my Girl Scout troop had a birthday party there. It was wild! There were these cliff divers, and they had this big waterfall inside and multiple levels and you could sit and watch these cliff divers, and the whole thing was *very* theatrical, at least from my 9 or 10 year old eyes.

Quote:
I remember seeing The Muppet Movies at the Drive-in, along with the Star Trek movies (I will never forget the ear bugs from Wrath of Khan ) and Return of the Jedi. I miss the drive-in!
I remember the drive-in too! I only got to go once or twice with girls from school, but it was so crazy and cool! Once I started dating boys, I went to a couple as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
I remember jelly shoes
Totally! My dfd's first birthday party had an 80s theme LOL because she loves 80s music . I hunted everywhere for Jelly Shoes for her. Didn't find it, but luckily 80s clothes were in so I did find her a great dress.

Quote:
I remember bangles
Those braclets right? I think I remember those!

Quote:
putting the corner of your shirt in one of those plastic circles, and cinching up your jeans at the ankle. Your stonewashed jeans.
Oh yeah. What was that jean cinching thing called? I know it had some name, but can't remember now.

Quote:
I remember my brothers raving about the "incredible special effects" in Star Wars.
I remember Star Wars paraphanelia everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
We made friendship bracelets out of embroidery thread or something of the like.
Oh yeah, friendship bracelets. And also lots of friendship charm things. Like those half hearts that each of you wore part of.

Oh, and the music...so much stuff that would take me back in an instant...!

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#15 of 99 Old 01-16-2009, 01:09 AM

I remember sliding from one door of the car to the other along the back seat when Dad would take a corner sharply. That was so much fun!!

And in my Undgrad Residence having three phones in the lobby for 180 people. Students were on phone-answering roster.

Just two experiences that would seem most exotic to anyone born in 1990.
#16 of 99 Old 01-16-2009, 06:17 AM

I remember most of the stuff people have posted.

I remember that you used to be able to get parkas for you Cabbage Patch Doll, but they might have only be sold here. And the main reason I remember is because I was the one who did a lot of the arctic braiding for the mitts.

When music video were innovative (Duran Duran anyone?)

Early computer programming with the numbers for each line and fun stuff like 'go to' 'end'

Playing Donkey Kong on my friend's Apple IIE

Wanting to be like Madonna

Disk cameras

The first calculators.

...I'm sure there's loads of stuff I'm forgetting.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#17 of 99 Old 01-16-2009, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Duran Duran- Simon was HOT!! Myself and a few girlfriends in school thought we were Madonna. We had gloves with no fingers in them, bangles going up our arms and of course- cross earrings!!

I remember buying the 45 of Like a virgin.

Remember on Sesame Street, they would have characters smoking?
Mr Potato head had a pipe too.

#18 of 99 Old 01-16-2009, 11:12 AM

I was born in 1976!

I remember getting 2 cabbage patch dolls their first year.

I remember protests at Honeywell, on rollerskates.

I remember a conference of some sort with Paul Wellstone at what seemed to me at the time a "commune".

I remember watchting Challenger explosion at school.

I remember playing outside in my neighborhood unsupervised at the age of 6!

I remember my stepdad beingthe 1st vegatarian I knew and doing yoga!

I remember the Goonies!

I remember my mom singing along with the Momma and the Papas, John Denver, Peter,Paul and Mary.Still love Puff the Magic Dragon and make my children listen to it.

I remember side ponytails and mismatched color socks- by choice!

Makes me feel old that my dh was born in 1980!
#19 of 99 Old 01-16-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
I was born in 1976!

I remember getting 2 cabbage patch dolls their first year.

I remember protests at Honeywell, on rollerskates.

I remember a conference of some sort with Paul Wellstone at what seemed to me at the time a "commune".

I remember watchting Challenger explosion at school.

I remember my stepdad beingthe 1st vegatarian I knew and doing yoga!

I remember the Goonies!

I remember my mom singing along with the Momma and the Papas, John Denver, Peter,Paul and Mary.Still love Puff the Magic Dragon and make my children listen to it.

Makes me feel old that my dh was born in 1980!
OMG, all these! I was born in 77, these are so funny! except for the challenger : I remember they wheeled in a TV for it, and my grandma and grandpa both worked for Honeywell.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#20 of 99 Old 01-16-2009, 11:24 AM

I was born in 1977

I remember Challenger. I was a huge fan of Christa McAuliffe and was heartbroken when the accident happened.

I remember Chernobyl, when my grandma made us stay indoors for days and we could not play in the sand or touch the rainwater for weeks.

I remember when there was only one hour of rock music per week on the Finnish radio.

I remember when the Berlin wall collapsed.

I remember when we got color tv.

I remember the original Battlestar Galactica and how scary the Cylons were.

I remember my cousin's Commodore 64 and all the computer games he had. Summer Games, Winter Games, Boulder Dash, Attack of the Mutant Camels, Commando etc.

I remember Star Wars figures. I had Lando Calrissian, Boba Fett, and Yoda.

I remember when Finland's first McDonald's opened.
#21 of 99 Old 01-16-2009, 03:36 PM

OMG, this takes me back.
I was born in 1977

You guys added all the stuff I was thinking of. The Challenger was really devastating to me. We were all watching TV and I remember the silence. So Sad.

My friends and I used to pretend to be "Valley Girls".

Just a quick funny story. Some friends of mine went out to dinner and the waitress carded them because they ordered drinks. She was looking at their IDs and then exclaimed, "Oh cool, you guys were born in the 70s!". They were sort of confused until she said that she was born in 1990. The waitress wanted to know what it was like. My girlfriend was saying how she had an extra drink because she felt really old.
#22 of 99 Old 01-16-2009, 03:41 PM

Ok, here's some,

Lace, half-finger gloves!!!!!
Heart! "These Dreams"
Jellies!

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#23 of 99 Old 01-16-2009, 03:57 PM

1974 here.
Most of what I would pick has already been said but I'll add;

Having a comb to stick out of the back pocket of my Jordasch (how do you spell that) jeans. Later was Guess jeans and Forenza sweaters.

Dr. Scholls

Rollerskating rinks being THE thing to go to on a Friday night.

Those boom box radios that people carried around on their shoulders. I wanted one badly.

Break dancing was just about the coolest things ever. (I still think that) Kids at my school were amazing at it.

Parachute pants

Smurfs

M.A.S.H my grandmother was obsessed.
#24 of 99 Old 01-16-2009, 04:03 PM

I grew up a few blocks from NASA. Our school always got visits from astronauts, Mr. Onizuka was a regular at our school since Darien went there. She wasn't in my class but I knew who she was cause...well cause her dad was a freaking ASTRONAUT and that was soooo coool.

So our whole school was watching when it exploded, the principal went on the loudspeaker and told the teachers to turn off the tvs. They started calling parents to come get us, it was really bad. So that's a sore spot for me, cause it was so personal and the entire country was affected, but it was about our immediate community. Weird.

Here's a flashback for everyone...reel to reel public service movies in elementary school. Ohmegosh how CORNY!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#25 of 99 Old 01-16-2009, 04:07 PM

In a restaurant around 1996, they were playing a CD of 80s music, and Wrapped Around Your Finger came on. My date and I were like, oh, the Police ! Our young waitress starts looking around, "where ? where ? " ....we were laughing....trying to explain "it's a band....the music...the Police....Sting ?" She had heard of Sting, who was solo by then......we felt kinda old.....but we *weren't* old......we were in our 20s ! But we both had a good 10 yrs on her.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#26 of 99 Old 01-16-2009, 06:55 PM

I wanted to be Cyndi Lauper instead of Madonna. I almost cried when my niece who was maybe 12 at the time, asked me who Cyndi Lauper was BTW she was born the year I graduated HS.

I loved the roller skating rink!! It was the only place your parents would drop you off and let you stay till midnight even when you were 12!

Here's a phrase most people will know from their childhood, "Be in before the street lights come on"

When colored hair was a huge deal and you could get beat up for it!

Banana Boat seat bicycles, with back pedaled brakes.

Getting Pink Panther Ice Cream bars, Lik-a-maid and candy cigarettes from the Ice Cream man

Little house on the Prairie and Dukes of Hazzard, especially since both were filmed by my house.

White anklet socks with High heels and worse wearing 2-5 pairs of slouch socks, till they invented the stitched together one's to match all the colors in your outfit, usually with your high tops.

BTW- I was a Valley Girl!!! I was born in Panarama City, and though I was young I so wanted to be like, so cool and junk, Oh My god and like totally!!!!

#27 of 99 Old 01-17-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murihiku View Post
I remember sliding from one door of the car to the other along the back seat when Dad would take a corner sharply. That was so much fun!!
By the time I was born, seat belts were more popular . But on a related note, I remember our gigantic station wagon with the faded wood paneling on the side and the seats in the back that faced backwards (and notably always made me sick, not to mention didn't allow my parents to see those of us who sat in the very back...which was *not* good, as we used to sneak and undo our seatbelts just to be naughty).

Quote:
We had gloves with no fingers in them
Oh yeah, I remember those.

Quote:
Remember on Sesame Street, they would have characters smoking?
Mr Potato head had a pipe too.
I don't remember that on Sesame Street, but I do remember that with Mr. Potato Head. He doesn't anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
I remember unsupervised play outside too, though I had older sibs who kept an eye on me, so maybe it wasn't so weird by today's standards (??).

Quote:
Oh yeah, I remember those too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skai View Post
I remember when the Berlin wall collapsed.
Oh yes, I remember that too. I remember my eldest sister had some sort of t-shirt commemorating the whole thing.

Quote:
I remember when Finland's first McDonald's opened.
I feel like I have a vague memory of that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamafreya View Post
My friends and I used to pretend to be "Valley Girls".
I remember people doing that.

Quote:
Just a quick funny story. Some friends of mine went out to dinner and the waitress carded them because they ordered drinks. She was looking at their IDs and then exclaimed, "Oh cool, you guys were born in the 70s!". They were sort of confused until she said that she was born in 1990. The waitress wanted to know what it was like. My girlfriend was saying how she had an extra drink because she felt really old.
Yeah, it is so weird now because I work with families and teens, and I am always blown away when I realize the year of birth for the kids graduating each year...this year it is what, 1991?! That just doesn't sound right. It also means my younger brother is coming up on his ten year high school class reunion. Weird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWren View Post
Rollerskating rinks being THE thing to go to on a Friday night.
We didn't do that much around here, but I do remember a lot of school parties happened at the roller rink. I remember skates with four wheels...I still prefer them .

Quote:
Those boom box radios that people carried around on their shoulders. I wanted one badly.
LOL. Yeah, people carrying around boomboxes. I remember some of that.

Quote:
Parachute pants
Oh yeah!

Quote:
Smurfs
Even without a tv I remember that. I also remember Strawberry shortcake dolls at the store that smelled so good to me...I used to pause in the aisle and smell every one of their heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llp34 View Post
In a restaurant around 1996, they were playing a CD of 80s music, and Wrapped Around Your Finger came on. My date and I were like, oh, the Police ! Our young waitress starts looking around, "where ? where ? " ....we were laughing....trying to explain "it's a band....the music...the Police....Sting ?" She had heard of Sting, who was solo by then......we felt kinda old.....but we *weren't* old......we were in our 20s ! But we both had a good 10 yrs on her.
I am finding myself feeling very old lately. I am so used to being the "young generation," that now that I am aging out of that I am like, "huh?!" This started in my mid-twenties, when the teens I was working with were into all kinds of technologies I couldn't keep up with, and it just gets crazier all the time.

Quote:
I wanted to be Cyndi Lauper instead of Madonna.
They were both FAB! I still keep a look out for Cyndi Lauper's concerts.

Quote:
Banana Boat seat bicycles, with back pedaled brakes.
OMG, are there not back pedaled brakes anymore for kids?!?

Quote:
Getting Pink Panther Ice Cream bars
Remember pink panther music!

Quote:
candy cigarettes from the Ice Cream man
I remember when the corner stores used to sell candy cigarettes (my mother was horrified and would have never allowed for us to buy them), and I also remember when those started disappearing from the stores.

Quote:
Little house on the Prairie and Dukes of Hazzard, especially since both were filmed by my house.
Remember the Anne of Green Gables series?

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#28 of 99 Old 01-17-2009, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

1990 was the year I graduated high school so I would have had a few extra drinks too if my waitress was born in 1990. Is she old enough to serve liquor yet?? So next year is my 20 yr reunion.

Who had a snoopy snowcone machine?

Who has heard the phrase "Light as a feather, stiff as a board"

Who knew or "knew of someone who knew that guy" who ate 10 bags of poprocks and drank 5 glasses of soda and died?

I watched Facts of Life, Silver Spoons (had the teenbeat of Ricky in my room mind you!) and chips, Love boat, and Fantasy Island the years before that. (RIP Mr York)

I can remember waiting for a show to come on and then Boom Ronald Reagan decided to go on. THE PRESIDENT IS ON, HE IS ON EVERY CHANNEL!!!! Now we will miss the Facts of Life. That sucked because I just spent a hurried 45 minutes doing long division problems and writing out sentences to underline the noun, verb, and whatever else your teacher could drum up so I could watch the facts of life!!!

#29 of 99 Old 01-17-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWren View Post

Break dancing was just about the coolest things ever. (I still think that) Kids at my school were amazing at it.

Parachute pants
I used to think that all this was very cool too. lol. I agree break dancing is still cool, but maybe not parachute pants. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by llp34 View Post
My little brother (16) didnt' know who the police were. I was so horrified.

Quote:

White anklet socks with High heels and worse wearing 2-5 pairs of slouch socks, till they invented the stitched together one's to match all the colors in your outfit, usually with your high tops.

BTW- I was a Valley Girl!!! I was born in Panarama City, and though I was young I so wanted to be like, so cool and junk, Oh My god and like totally!!!!
Oh man, I was going to marry Bo and drive off into the sunset with him. I was only 4 at the time and thank god my taste in men has changed since then. My Dad bought me one of John Schneider's 45s when I was little. Good lord that show was awful.

You Valley Girls were the coolest.

My dad did not understand the whole sock thing. He was always making comments about wearing 20 pairs of socks with shorts and teeshirts. lol. He was always asking if my feet had burst into flame yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
Yeah, it is so weird now because I work with families and teens, and I am always blown away when I realize the year of birth for the kids graduating each year...this year it is what, 1991?! That just doesn't sound right. It also means my younger brother is coming up on his ten year high school class reunion. Weird!
Yeah, I hear you. I just realized that one of my brothers is turning 21 this year. It just isn't right.

Quote:
1990 was the year I graduated high school so I would have had a few extra drinks too if my waitress was born in 1990. Is she old enough to serve liquor yet?? So next year is my 20 yr reunion.

Who had a snoopy snowcone machine?

I watched Facts of Life, Silver Spoons (had the teenbeat of Ricky in my room mind you!) and chips, Love boat, and Fantasy Island the years before that. (RIP Mr York)
I forgot about the Facts of Life and Silver Spoons. Ricky was too cute. I loved that show. I lusted after that snoopy snowcone machine.

My girlfriend was telling me how that waitress had just turned 18 and she was talking about being excited to vote. (Which is cool, I would've been exctied too.) My friend was laughing because this girl said something about them being veterans at voting by now.
#30 of 99 Old 01-20-2009, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I remember watching(eagerly)Little House on the Praire every Sunday night..

Saturday Morning cartoons(looked forward to them all week)

I remember when the Challenger exsploded

I also remember the Cabbage Patch Kid craze and was over the moon when I got my first one that my mom fought over with this lady at the store.

I remember Micheal Jackson the way he used to be..

I remeber Saturday Night Fever!!!!

I remember going to the drive in every now and then...I don't think I went to a movie theatre until I was in my late teens.

I remember watching President Reagan become president.

I remember when it was normal to get things like Chicken pox and get to stay home from school for a week...

I think sometimes that people were happier as a whole before the whole electronic/computer age took over...

Fun Thread...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page