Mama's Without Kids ~NEW~ 2009 Thread - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 647 Old 04-03-2009, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DW and I are going to toodle around town tomorrow for most of the day, get some quotes on new flooring, pick up a few finishing odds and ends like curtain rods, and maybe get a couple of spring clothes. Rachel, your weekend sounds like da bomb!!!
#482 of 647 Old 04-06-2009, 02:40 PM

Did everyone survive the weekend? How was your trip Rachel? And happy birthday to Terri! :

We survived the wedding. It was much shorter than a lot of wedding we shoot, so that was nice. However, I think I was finally introduced to the true definition of "country". And it involved fer real sweet tea and free range hound dogs at the reception. Seriously, there were just all these dogs running around around all these fancy dressed wedding people. One muddy puppy curled up amongst the guests and fell asleep!

Some people even brought their dogs. It was just so weird (but I got to pet some nice dogs!).

Then we slept in a lot on Sunday and tried to take the dogs running/jogging/walking at the cemetery. Robert and I split up (because he is fast and in shape and I am not) and I didn't know it, but Keira was being spooky and she tripped him and he totally wiped out, scraped himself up really badly. He managed to fall so that he didn't hurt either Keira or Aggie, so that was good. By the time he found me, he was sore and bloody and in a bad mood! Poor guy.
#483 of 647 Old 04-06-2009, 02:56 PM

awwwws, poor Robert

We had a busy and productive weekend. DW got the first coat of paint on the bedroom, I finished painting the kitchen cupboards and got the hardware put on, and we did a bit of a shop-o-thon, coming home with a little freezer for dog food, some nice curtain rods and curtains, and a full-length mirror for the bedroom. I wimped out on my run yesterday so have to make up for it this evening, which I am now regretting because there is SNOW out there right now
#484 of 647 Old 04-06-2009, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Dogs at a wedding does sound odd but also fun. Not sure I'd do it at mine but to each their own, huh? Ouchie for Robert. That did not sound like a fun run.

Crystal, Yay for progress. My house is still a wreck although not as much so. I'm hoping to finish up this week but we'll see. We still have so much to do. The accent wall color is not working for us so we're going to repaint that one wall, probably tomorrow. Still need to add crown molding and the light fixture and we'll be able to move back in fully. Kitchen cabinets are the worst, especially if you have a lot of them.

Our weekend went so great. It was just what we needed, some R&R. Terri had a great time fishing and we did a hike also. I took a ton of pictures and did a recap in my blog. Rascal enjoyed himself thoroughly and was wiped out by the time we got home. Today is her actual birthday and we're going out for dinner with some friends.

Even with the R&R I still feel like everything is going by so fast and we have too much to do. We need to finish the bedroom and this weekend we're going back out of town with some friends to the lake to kayak and hang out. Should be fun but I need some down time. I'd also like to fit in some clothes shopping this week, but we'll have to wait and see. Fortunately after this weekend our calendar looks so much better!

-Rachel

#485 of 647 Old 04-06-2009, 06:36 PM

I had a good weekend right up until the migraine from hell hit last night. I was in crippling pain for about 10 hours and am now coming out of it and feeling strung-out and hung-over from the meds. Gah.
#486 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 AM

I'm sorry to hear about the migrane, Grace. They can be inhumanly awful Glad you're checking in with us though!:
#487 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 12:09 PM

I'm back to 100% today.

This is what I did over the weekend.

This is what Mark did.
#488 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Those looks awesome Grace! You both were busy.

So here's a running question for you Crystal, does it ever get easier? I'm doing the Couch to 5k thingy, and my god was the first one hard!

Also, do you have any take on running vs swimming in terms of fitness and overall weight control? I used to swim competitivly in college but I haven't been in the pool in a long time. Right now it's easier for me to find places and time to run, but I think I would have more stamina in the pool since I'm used to it (plus all those flip turns are like a built in abs workout!).

Rachel your weekend looks like it was so nice! I wonder where on the South Toe River you were? A place we stay at up in Celo is near parts of that river.
#489 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post

This is what Mark did.
OMG, you have GREEN? I'm so insanely jealous. We just have grey. And mud. And most depressingly today, another 2 inches of snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutgendorf View Post
Those looks awesome Grace! You both were busy.

So here's a running question for you Crystal, does it ever get easier? I'm doing the Couch to 5k thingy, and my god was the first one hard!

Yes, I swear to god it does. The first time I ever "went for a run", I think I went a total distance of 1km, walked for at least half of it, and thought I was going to die at the end. The trick is to build up both the distance and the amount of time you run veeeeerrrrry slowly, or else it's just going to suck and you're liable to get injured.

Also, do you have any take on running vs swimming in terms of fitness and overall weight control? I used to swim competitivly in college but I haven't been in the pool in a long time. Right now it's easier for me to find places and time to run, but I think I would have more stamina in the pool since I'm used to it (plus all those flip turns are like a built in abs workout!).

I am a terrible swimmer, so I can't really comment too much. I think either offers the potential for a great workout, it's all about the output you give. You could do a really lazy half-@rsed swim and not benefit as much as a moderately strenuous jog, or vice-versa. It's more about your intensity, heart rate, etc.

Rachel your weekend looks like it was so nice! I wonder where on the South Toe River you were? A place we stay at up in Celo is near parts of that river.
#490 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 02:44 PM

Ok, good to know that it won't always be this hard!

In other news…remember the stray mom dog I was talking about some time ago? Well, I think we have two of her puppies here at work with us now. Because we nutz.

One of our neighbors (who isn't quite all there) was walking around with two puppies that look like they could be hers. He asked us to watch them while he does…something (couldn't understand him)…and he would be back for them in three days. So like suckers we said yes. Mom dog is still running around, so I don't know if we should take them back to the house she seems to live at or see if we can't get in touch with another neighbor that has rescued and rehomed puppies from our neighborhood before.

They're very cute and surprisingly fat and happy and have good coats, though very dirty and they were very thirsty.

I'll see if Robert can take some photos and you all can breed guess. For sure some lab (mom was a lab or lab mix, if I'm right and these are her pups).

I would also appreciate a smack on the head so that we stop doing crazy things like this!

And we're also having snow flurries today. Thank you insane weather.
#491 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Grace, sorry for the migraine, but yay for progress. Looks like you guys were busy!

Julia, Celo was near by. We didn't go there but it was supposedly up the road. Was that the blueberry farm you guys stayed at? And you're getting snow? Really? We haven't seen any here but it's cold and so freaking windy.

Crystal, when do you guys normally warm up?

-Rachel

#492 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 03:08 PM

Julia, is it possible the roly-polies have worms?

Rachel, the weather is always weird up here in the spring. Three weeks ago we were at +18 Celcius. Today we're at -4 Celcius and snow is coming in sideways. It's a crapshoot pretty much from March until the end of May...we could get freezing temps/snow up until then (although it would be more rare in May). It's such a tease, just when you think spring is finally here... :
#493 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
Grace, sorry for the migraine, but yay for progress. Looks like you guys were busy!

Julia, Celo was near by. We didn't go there but it was supposedly up the road. Was that the blueberry farm you guys stayed at? And you're getting snow? Really? We haven't seen any here but it's cold and so freaking windy.

Crystal, when do you guys normally warm up?
We stay at a blueberry/lavender/dairy goat farm. Mountain Farm is the name.

Just little flurries. Nothing that will stick or be fun to play in, sadly!
#494 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who, me? View Post
Julia, is it possible the roly-polies have worms?

Rachel, the weather is always weird up here in the spring. Three weeks ago we were at +18 Celcius. Today we're at -4 Celcius and snow is coming in sideways. It's a crapshoot pretty much from March until the end of May...we could get freezing temps/snow up until then (although it would be more rare in May). It's such a tease, just when you think spring is finally here... :
They totes have worms. One of them was scooting on the grass. I think we can get a wormer for them. Joanna gave me a worming schedule a bit back when some friends had a puppy dumped in there yard.

Damn! That's cold! You're a beast for going out and running!
#495 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 03:21 PM

You think THAT'S cold??? wimp! It frequently gets down to -20 to -30 Celcius in the winter, not counting windchill, which can put it down in the -40's on really bad days. And yes, I ran in that too. Grrrrr!
#496 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
You think THAT'S cold??? wimp! It frequently gets down to -20 to -30 Celcius in the winter, not counting windchill, which can put it down in the -40's on really bad days. And yes, I ran in that too. Grrrrr!

I grew up in Arizona. Anything below 50 makes me cranky! You are a beast!

Now how hot does it get in the summer? I bet I've got you beat there!
#497 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 03:37 PM

We max out around +38 Celcius. Typical would be 25-32 range.
#498 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

They don't call it HOTlanta for nuthing! I used to prefer the cold, the older I get though, the wimper I am. Although I still enjoy sweat shirt, jeans, and a cozy fire.

-Rachel

#499 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
We max out around +38 Celcius. Typical would be 25-32 range.
Tucson typically gets up to around 43 C, but can go as high as 48/49 (that's 110-120 for the americans). Where's the sweating smilie?

In Atlanta, we probably get no hotter than you. But it's humid! They keep telling me that makes a difference.

Let's just say I don't think I can live much more north than I already am!
#500 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 03:57 PM

oh god. the beasts have awoken. Barkscreaming is commencing. The girl puppy is feisty! She's clearly the boss. The boy puppy is very quiet, unless I've taken his sister out to potty.
#501 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 04:18 PM

I am definitely going to miss the southern warmth when we leave Austin. I am sort of looking forward to having seasons again, though.
#502 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 05:54 PM

That is one thing I do like about Atlanta. I never knew what spring was until I moved here, and it's great! In Tucson we just had hot and less hot.

The DC area (that's where you're going, right Grace?) is very pretty!
#503 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutgendorf View Post

The DC area (that's where you're going, right Grace?) is very pretty!
Yup, that's where we're headed.
#504 of 647 Old 04-07-2009, 07:22 PM

Well, we learned what happened to the other pups. Robert talked to a neighbor who said he had been trying to feed the litter. He thinks we've got the only two surviving dogs, the rest were picked off by cars.

Our neighbor says to just consider them ours, he's pretty sure that the family the mom belongs to doesn't want them.

Here's some photos. The two of them sleeping:
http://eyeonlinemedia.smugmug.com/ph...89_zetw6-M.jpg

The boy puppy being submissive: http://eyeonlinemedia.smugmug.com/ph...49_bmRbR-M.jpg

Being perky: http://eyeonlinemedia.smugmug.com/ph...91_ATDic-M.jpg

We're going to try and take "glamour shots" of them tonight. And start emailing around about them. Robert might already have a lead with one of our friends.
#505 of 647 Old 04-08-2009, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Awwwww dems is so cute! *repeating to herself* we do not need another dog, Terri would be mad. We do not need another dog, Terri would be mad.

Grace have your guys set a moving date? Are you excited or not-so-much?

-Rachel

#506 of 647 Old 04-08-2009, 11:00 AM

F#@K.

I'm sorry to derail, but where we work was broken into last night. They only took Robert's computer and monitor, but he owned them himself. And they had all his files. Like ALL the photos of the wedding we just shot.

I'm in shock and just trying to tell myself it's ok. This won't destroy our lives. There will be some hard work, but we're going to be ok.

The puppies are still cute and happy, which is very good. damn.
#507 of 647 Old 04-08-2009, 11:03 AM

Oh Julia, that SUCKS. I'm so sorry.

No, we don't have a date yet. Late summer/early fall is as narrowed down as we're going to be for a bit.
#508 of 647 Old 04-08-2009, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Julia, how horrible. Does he do a back up anywhere? I'm so sorry, sweets. I know you guys will recover. Keep the puppies, I mean positives, in front of you.

-Rachel

#509 of 647 Old 04-08-2009, 11:38 AM

I don't know what all is backed up. This computer WAS our back up. I have found our memory cards from the wedding and we still have some photos! Robert must not have wiped them yet, so we might not be screwed there.

What's going to suck is all his source files for his freelance clients might be gone. I don't know. And my boss just told me that she has no business insurance. So I guess we're going to see if our home owners will cover it. Because we are also dumb and haven't gotten biz insurance for Robert.

I will def. be cuddling puppies later today.
#510 of 647 Old 04-08-2009, 05:11 PM

aaak! How did I miss all this stuff today???!?!?!

Holy puppy cuteness!

Holy horrible awful news about the break-in!!! WTF!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page