Rainbow Gathering Mamas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 03-28-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've poked around a bit but haven't found a tribe for mamas who go to Rainbow Gathering. If there is one, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

We're making the trip for the first time this year and we're all so excited. I'll be 4 months pregnant and we'll be taking my three boys with us. I'm just looking for other mamas that might be there and maybe a kind tip or two along the way.

Betty *(.)(.)* mama to: DS1 (12) DS2 (11) DS3 (8)
(12/26/06) (5/11/09) (10/7/09)x2

#2 of 39 Old 04-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Hey there!
There are a lot of rainbow families out there. I never have travelled to one with my son, but I have been to plenty of gatherings with friends that have had children. Each gathering should have a "Kiddie Village", which would be of course a kid friendly environment. I would probably camp as close as possible to there. Most people there are super nice but I would certainly keep the little ones close to you at all times. I'm not too sure if you have been to this kind of event or not. So I am not to sure what kind of tips would help. I would love to get my boy to a gathering and will eventually. If I can help you out at all, let me know! Safe travels!
Christina
#3 of 39 Old 04-10-2009, 08:10 PM

where is iy this year?
#4 of 39 Old 04-10-2009, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

New Mexico

:

#5 of 39 Old 04-10-2009, 10:50 PM

Hi mama! its that time of year and im totally thinking about the gathering too! my only trip to a huge gathering was two years ago with hubby, our 2 and 5 yo. i was pregnant at the time and sick and kinda grouchy, but it was a good time. lots of work , which i thought id share- i guess the best thing to do is have some wheels that you can use to cart kids and stuff in. do you have a double jogging stroller, a wagon or something? i wish we had because it was intense truckin those kids and supplies in and then around the huge spread of forest / meadow/river where the gathering was! and, i would definitely camp at kiddie village, easy and really beautiful! and maybe bring some immune boosting herbs/ anti funk kinds herbs because occasionally at communal gatherings of humans there are outbreaks of belly bugs and stuff like that. Though, the set up is amazing and probably the best possible, don't wish to offend anyone!

Hey, my crew could still make it this year! Have a blessed experience and enjoy!
#6 of 39 Old 05-01-2009, 10:47 PM

I haven't been able to attend any national gatherings in few years and would really love to get to NM with my 2 yo DS and 5 mths pregnant. I'm feeling more cautious than I used to especially with what happened last year in Kiddie Village. What have all of you heard about last years events and this coming event in New Mexico?
#7 of 39 Old 05-23-2009, 09:09 PM

hey everyone i'm not a mom yet but i've been going to gatherings since i was 6 months old and am a kiddie village alumni kid. if you have any questions about kiddie village or the gathering in general feel free to ask me and hopefully i can help you

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#8 of 39 Old 05-30-2009, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm thinking about going this year mainly because we live right by where the gathering will be in northern NM. I don't think DH will be going, so I'm thinking about going either alone (with the 2 kiddos that is) or trying to get someone to come along with me. If any of you mamas want to coordinate something, I'm game!

For you Rainbow Gathering veterans, can you just sort of show up at Kiddie Village? Or do you need to pre-plan it?
#9 of 39 Old 06-07-2009, 02:26 PM

Hey There,

I have been going to Gatherings for many years, only a few with my kids. I went with my eldest son, but held off in recent years after I became pregnant with twins. My twin boys are now 3 and we are giving it a try again.

HIKING IN
First off, it's not impossible, but I highly recommend bringing a partner or a helper if you have more than one child. One cannot usually get all your stuff in on one trip, especially if you have a kid on your back. So, having someone to sit in-camp with the kids while the other goes out for more things is VERY helpful. But people are VERY good with helping to carry your stuff in if you have kids and you ask on the path. An all-terrain wheeled vehicle (stroller, wagon, etc) is a plus but not necessary. A regular stroller won't do well. If you get to a stream, people are always happy to help one cross it if you have a vehicle.

KIDDIE VILLAGE:
Secondly, YES, Kiddie Village is an awesome place to live while there. You just show up, no need to make arrangements. Just arrive and ask folks to direct you there. (Once you get there you might want to tell someone in the kitchen you are a first timer and ask for any advice or info).

There is always something for the kids to eat at Kiddie Village (peanut butter sandwiches on request) , three good meals a day and always clean water. They build a playground for the kids, and there is a big communal area to hang out. No smoking is allowed in most areas there. They also usually have a real sit-down potty for kids whereas most camps have trenches you have to squat over that are often too wide for kids. People also tend to respect quiet hours in the camp after dark.

DIAPERS:
I don't know if the Kiddie Village provides them, but I have often seen parents washing out cloth diapers in five gallon buckets there. If you bring disposable diapers, I advise bringing a double-thick garbage bag to toss your dirties into with a clasp that can easily be opened and closed to toss a new one into. Keep in mind you will have to keep it in your tent (or just outside) and the smell of urine can become a bit much. It is your responsibility to carry your bag of dirty diapers out. For me, for one child that was like carrying a dead body out! lol

DINNER CIRCLE:
At dinner circle in Main Circle each evening, Mamas with kids, pregnant Mamas, and nursing Mamas are invited into the center of the circle to fill their plates before the buckets move out to serve the circle.

I plug in at the Info Booth every year and camp there, so I am happy to answer any questions I can, although, honestly I have never camped at Kiddie Village, I know a decent amount about it.

MommyBear, I have three sons coming with me, too!

-Karen-
#10 of 39 Old 06-13-2009, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

We had some surprise expenses come up so we won't be able to make it to NM this year We are going to try to be at the gathering in the Ozarks though so we still get some Rainbow time.

#11 of 39 Old 06-16-2009, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and I wanted to ask you what you all take to eat? It just hit me that we'll be leaving in two weeks and I feel so unprepared.

#12 of 39 Old 06-16-2009, 11:57 PM

I haven't been to a gathering since I was a kid. I would like to take my daughter when she's a little older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_pyxi View Post
I haven't been able to attend any national gatherings in few years and would really love to get to NM with my 2 yo DS and 5 mths pregnant. I'm feeling more cautious than I used to especially with what happened last year in Kiddie Village. What have all of you heard about last years events and this coming event in New Mexico?
What happened last year in Kiddie Village?

--"Mama Bear" : to DD 8/06
Tree-hugging :, queer-loving , liberal, feminist hippie mom! :
#13 of 39 Old 06-17-2009, 02:08 AM

i;m gonna sub!

never been but WANT TO! I hope maybe next year or the year after that with the kiddos.

How do they determine where it is held each year?

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#14 of 39 Old 06-19-2009, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
onyx, wouldn't it be great if we could get one up here? *sigh*

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#15 of 39 Old 06-19-2009, 01:10 PM

I used to go to gatherings all the time when I was younger, but where I'm at, they are now few and far between If anyone knows of gatherings happening on the western side of washington, let me know.
#16 of 39 Old 06-19-2009, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

HipCat, have you plugged into the forums at welcomehere.org? You might be able to find something local to you.

#17 of 39 Old 06-29-2009, 12:45 AM

Hi everyone. Just bumpin this up now that the gathering is getting super close. We're leaving on the 1st, this will be our first one. I hope to meet all that are going!

Amri- mama to Indica 12.08.06 and Kytan 04.04.10
#18 of 39 Old 06-29-2009, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

I've got (almost) everything packed and ready to go, I have maps and directions printed, all I'm waiting on is for SO to get his clothes packed. Then all we have to do is take seats out of the van so we have room to haul stuff and we'll be ready to hit the road. After gathering we're going canoeing down a river and then to dig crystals in AR. I kind of wish we were going to Nationals but this one will be a lot smaller and it feels more comfortable for our first trip.

I hope all that are going have safe journeys Home. Lovin' you!

#19 of 39 Old 06-29-2009, 12:17 PM

We'll be there :

mama to dd1(5) and dd2(2)
#20 of 39 Old 07-01-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_pyxi View Post
What happened last year?
#21 of 39 Old 07-01-2009, 03:25 PM

me and my son were gonna go this year! but his papa said he didnt want him to go without him. so its just gna be me and my best friend that are going for a couple days maybe ill head to kiddie village and bring my son with me for a day. i live pretty close so its not a problem. hope to see some of you there!
#22 of 39 Old 07-05-2009, 01:40 AM

first and foremost, lovin you! to all my rainbow sister mommies, we missed it this year due to unfortunate circumstances , but i was in wyoming last year, they brought guns in kiddie village and ended up shooting rubber bullets and hitting a few brothers, it was a pretty scary scene and the LEOs were DEFINATELY in the WRONG for bringing and brandishing weapons in kiddie village. I was shocked at their lack of judgement

:'n mama to Lotus and Zen :
#23 of 39 Old 07-05-2009, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
there are videos of it on youtube too. weve gone a couple of years and had planned to go this year but it didnt work. next year tho here we come.
id love to hear about the fun everyone had and what it was like.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#24 of 39 Old 07-05-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyBear View Post
HipCat, have you plugged into the forums at welcomehere.org? You might be able to find something local to you.

http://www.starsrainbowrideboard.org...irror/rainbow/

this is the site your thinking of. the welcome here.org and the related sites are money making scemes a huge buy in to babylon.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#25 of 39 Old 07-05-2009, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
Ahhh, that's the site I saw years back.

LoBleusMama- Oh my gosh!!?? That's something you hear about and wish wasn't true, how awful But thanks for filling us in on what had happened, we were wondering.

It's always too far for us.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#26 of 39 Old 07-05-2009, 01:31 PM

: hoping for a northeast gathering next year!

#27 of 39 Old 07-05-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
Ahhh, that's the site I saw years back.

LoBleusMama- Oh my gosh!!?? That's something you hear about and wish wasn't true, how awful But thanks for filling us in on what had happened, we were wondering.

It's always too far for us.
goodie! you can also jsut type in welcomehome.org and find the mirror site closet and best for you.

i am hoping for an upper midwest gathering next year. : the superior national forest is incredible.

#28 of 39 Old 07-06-2009, 12:20 AM

.ooO a gathering up in the upper midwest would be nice and super convieniant!

#29 of 39 Old 07-06-2009, 12:48 AM

I'm curious to know what Rainbow Gatherings are.

(I update as much as I can)
#30 of 39 Old 07-06-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBleusMama View Post
.ooO a gathering up in the upper midwest would be nice and super convieniant!
i know! wouldnt it? just a hop and a skip. no jump needed.

rainbow gatherings are what the person who is going needs them to be. camping in the national forest, a p;rayer for a healed planet, connecting with family and a good time are all included.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page