Camping Mamas - it's finally spring! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 71 Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

What a great article. Some really good ideas in there!

Reading more about the areas we will be camping in this summer in CA. Any tips on bear proofing?? YIKES! That is a crazy thought to a Midwesterner! blush.gif

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#62 of 71 Old 06-10-2013, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Not really-- just tying up everything, even toothpaste and used wrappers.  Recommended: no scented personal products, and you can use salt or baking soda to brush teeth.  

Realistically, while bears can do a lot of damage, it's the raccoons that are the most likely to raid your camp.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#63 of 71 Old 06-10-2013, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

This is a fun article:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/camping-hacks-that-are-borderline-genius

Some of it really is cool, others seem more for going-camping-with-a-giant-vehicle or multi-fmily camping.  Emergency potty with milk crate and a 5-gallon bucket?  5-gallon wash plunger?  5 gallon buckets are really useful, but the rest seems too much.

However this is otherwise near genius.  Foam tiles for a camp floor?  Now I'm wishing I ever had a set of those!  I would need a larger vehicle, though.

The Tic Tac boxes as spice containers is smart - I wish I still ate Tic Tacs! And we always take Via as a backup when we don't want to use the percolator and grind fresh. Actually I couldn't even find the percolator in our stuff this year (after several moves) so it might be Via from here on out. 

And a mini first aid kit is always a good thing to have. We actually carry mini survival kits in small tin cans - pocket hand saw, matches, aspirin, antibiotic ointment, bandaids, safety pins and water purifier. 

Does anyone "decorate" their campsites? When I was a kid we did RV camping with my grandparents, and everyone had lantern strings hung on their awnings and pinwheels and the like along the driveways. Bunting and "glamping" (a term I absolutely hate but that's what they call it...) are pretty popular these days. We don't really go in for that too much, aside from having a red and white gingham tablecloth for the picnic table. But since we'll be camping over the 4th of July and it will be Little Man's first camping trip I'm thinking of getting some red, white and blue pinwheels and making a bandana bunting to hang at our site. To make it a little extra special.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#64 of 71 Old 06-18-2013, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

What a great article. Some really good ideas in there!

Reading more about the areas we will be camping in this summer in CA. Any tips on bear proofing?? YIKES! That is a crazy thought to a Midwesterner! blush.gif

Where are you camping?  If you are not backwoods every place with bear potential will have bear boxes.  We camped the summer of 2010 along the northern coast of CA (SF to the border), into lassen volcanic, lake Tahoe, down to Yosemite and the half moon bay area.    We did get a citation in Yosemite for leaving a mini tube of toothpaste on the front of our car, in the area where your windshield wiper rests.  I think we'd driven quite a ways with it there because we'd "lost" that tube back at Prairie Creek many weeks before!

I'm starting to prep for our 7 week camping trip to Oahu.  Does anyone have knowledge about coolers?  We have the same basic igloo type cooler that cost about $25  15-20 years ago.  Is it worth spending $200 to get something that is supposedly much better?  Will it save on needing ice, or having to stop at the grocery store more often?

We won't have any fires during out 7 weeks but will cook only on our camp stove.  But we also spend very little time at our actual camp site, basically just using it as a crash pad to sleep. 

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#65 of 71 Old 06-18-2013, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Found a list of items that are good to keep in a camping box (car camping kitchen):

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24307

Maybe replace paper towels w/ kitchen towels & paper/plastic plates with reusable. The enameled ones I just got aren't that heavy.

Pretty good recipes, too:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24308

We bring our regular silverware from home.  (I guess I'm picky about what I like!)  For my family of 6, we have 8 plastic plates and 8 plastic bowls that  I  bought specifically for camping.    We've had them for about 7 years now and they are holding up fine.  We use our kleen Kanteen bottles as glasses.  However, once a jelly jar runs empty I save them and they become our glasses.  By the end of the summer we usually all have our own glass jar for drinking from!

For a typical summer trip (6-8 weeks) I bring 3 kitchen towels and two smaller cloths.  If we are someplace warm and dry I just hand wash and hang dry, if not they get washed when we hit a laundry mat.  I don't even bother with napkins.  I keep a jug of water handy for rinsing hands, etc.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#66 of 71 Old 06-20-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post

Where are you camping?  If you are not backwoods every place with bear potential will have bear boxes.  We camped the summer of 2010 along the northern coast of CA (SF to the border), into lassen volcanic, lake Tahoe, down to Yosemite and the half moon bay area.    We did get a citation in Yosemite for leaving a mini tube of toothpaste on the front of our car, in the area where your windshield wiper rests.  I think we'd driven quite a ways with it there because we'd "lost" that tube back at Prairie Creek many weeks before!

I'm starting to prep for our 7 week camping trip to Oahu.  Does anyone have knowledge about coolers?  We have the same basic igloo type cooler that cost about $25  15-20 years ago.  Is it worth spending $200 to get something that is supposedly much better?  Will it save on needing ice, or having to stop at the grocery store more often?

We won't have any fires during out 7 weeks but will cook only on our camp stove.  But we also spend very little time at our actual camp site, basically just using it as a crash pad to sleep. 

We will be camping possibly 1 night in the Monterey area, then on the northern coast of CA - hopefully 2 nights (1 Mendocino area, 1 Redwoods? - still working out geography and driving distances!), then 1 night Oregon coast.

Coolers - we use the old Igloo type, too. I like repackaging purchased bags of ice into freezer bags so the food doesn't get wet when it melts & you can also drink the water.

#67 of 71 Old 06-20-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Coolers - we use the old Igloo type, too. I like repackaging purchased bags of ice into freezer bags so the food doesn't get wet when it melts & you can also drink the water.

Good idea--then you can also search for things without freezing your hand off!

#68 of 71 Old 06-22-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Good idea--then you can also search for things without freezing your hand off!

No kidding! Although, in the Midwest that might be a nice way to cool off wink1.gif

Having melted ice around is good for putting out the campfire, too!

#69 of 71 Old 06-22-2013, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

I'm getting really excited - one more week of work, then camping! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#70 of 71 Old 06-22-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

I'm getting really excited - one more week of work, then camping! 

We are preparing for our first car camping trip-- to the suburbs!  It's actually in the rural outskirts of Seattle near the girl scout camp.  They are doing a 3-day day camp session, and I chose to camp 5 minutes away rather than commute from their aunt's house daily--or send them by bus.  They will already be wiped out!  This will be my first trip without dh.  He's staying one night and then the girls and I stay 2 more.  It is also the girls' first walk-in site.  I'm planning a great dinner Sunday.  Friends and relatives will be visiting.  After that, it will be pretty simple dinners--pancakes and sausages.  (I'd do hot dogs, but they are not fans anymore.  Gone are those easy days!)

#71 of 71 Old 06-27-2013, 07:54 AM

Posted this:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1385735/better-camp-food-nutritionally-and-environmentally

Would love your input!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page