any radical feminists on MDC? - Page 10 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#271 of 281 Old 08-09-2011, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

mama s, wikipedia says she's a descendant of harriet beecher stowe.  (??)

then..  i am playing in computer land, and i was just going to google her name and the term racism... just for kicks.  apparently google has some cease and desist orders to remove results from the list?  i have never seen this before.   the statement is "in response to a legal request submitted to google, we have removed x results from this page (the search results from those terms)...  that is odd esp with the prominence of the info about harriet beecher stowe on the wikipedia page.  i guess just from lazy googling and not having read her work (i don't like crime novels) that she's a racist and her pr folks/agents are working to negate this legally? 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#272 of 281 Old 08-09-2011, 12:43 PM

I'm curious about this thread...although I'm not entirely sure I'm a radical feminist. I was at one point, but I found that not all of the issues that were important to me were well supported by feminism. Being pregnant, I am aware of how we construct pregnancy as a gendered experience. I'm uncomfortable with the idea that pregnancy and birth are the exclusive domains of women. I get a little irked by referring to pregnancy as exclusively a women's issue and where that leaves pregnant people who do not identify as women.

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

#273 of 281 Old 08-10-2011, 09:50 AM

Welcome Sudkada. You sound like a radical feminist to me, but everyone here has their own definition.

Hildare, I don't think her being a descendant of HBS means in any way that she's not a racist, kwim? That is a very strange search result.

Just as an example of what I'm talking about in her novel: she has a scene where a man who is interacting with a woman he doesn't know but is attracted to (both are white) goes through autopsy photos and picks one out to lay in front of her (for fun). It is a drug dealer described as a "young black male" who is lying on the autopsy table, dead of course, naked, with his chest open and organs out  of his body and then she talks about his very "prominent organ" that must have meant a lot to him when he was alive, etc. There is just all kinds of things going on there... and that's just one example.

#274 of 281 Old 08-10-2011, 09:53 AM

Sorry Sukhada, I tried to edit to fix the spelling of your screen name but it wouldn't let me. :)

#275 of 281 Old 08-11-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Soltera View Post

Welcome Sudkada. You sound like a radical feminist to me, but everyone here has their own definition.

Hildare, I don't think her being a descendant of HBS means in any way that she's not a racist, kwim? That is a very strange search result.

Just as an example of what I'm talking about in her novel: she has a scene where a man who is interacting with a woman he doesn't know but is attracted to (both are white) goes through autopsy photos and picks one out to lay in front of her (for fun). It is a drug dealer described as a "young black male" who is lying on the autopsy table, dead of course, naked, with his chest open and organs out  of his body and then she talks about his very "prominent organ" that must have meant a lot to him when he was alive, etc. There is just all kinds of things going on there... and that's just one example.

i thought it was kind of like... putting it in one of the first paragraphs on wikipedia (i assumed it was a pr stunt/agent doing it or something like that) was sort of her saying : "LOOK!  I can't be a racist!  my ANCESTOR was an abolitionist!"  lol..   i did find some people that were complaining about the dialogue/dialect used when non white people were speaking, and another thing about a book with a nightwatchman who behaved in a stereotypical way. 

but, you know, i've been complaining to anybody who will listen about the book The Help, because it's such a bestseller but so, so, so ickily done in a way that i feel is condescending and trying-not-to-be-racist but actually very much so.  popularity of an author is no indication that her/his work isn't sexist or racist.

#276 of 281 Old 08-12-2011, 11:19 AM

Oh, that makes sense. Interesting. That probably is what including that information is all about.

It is interesting to think about how even in things like literature we keep feeding old patterns and ideas and inequalities, and in writing about them and letting them slide while we read about them, we keep them alive. Unfortunatey, often things that push against all of that do not sell. .

#277 of 281 Old 08-17-2011, 09:16 AM

ok.. here's a discussion question for you all. 

how are you raising your children in a feminist way?  are you raising your children to be feminists themselves?  how do you teach this? 

<3

#278 of 281 Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

ok.. here's a discussion question for you all. 

how are you raising your children in a feminist way?  are you raising your children to be feminists themselves?  how do you teach this? 

<3

Oh, absolutely I am. We talk about sexism whenever it comes up. If there was an ad we passed by in the car or a movie I let them watch that I didn't agree with, we discuss it. Certain real life situations come up too. Unfortunately there are so many opportunites where it's appropriate to point it out and discuss it. I talk to them about equality and the past, how far we've come and how far we have to go, what they can do to make sure they're not contributing to sexism and patriarchy. Of course I explain it all in appropriate ways for their age levels, but they really do get it and are very aware. It's awesome.

#279 of 281 Old 08-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Hi everyone! 

We have a new feature that allows forum members to create "clubs" of their own that have many of the same benefits of a forum, including multiple threads, a member's list, and group messaging. All tribes are invited to switch from the one-long-thread here in FYT to the new Social Groups. You can read more about it hereLet me know if you have any questions but please post to that thread so I can keep everything in one place. smile.gif

#280 of 281 Old 04-24-2012, 09:26 AM

Hi everyone!

Has this thread closed or has it turned into a group ? Please let me kno thanks

pos.gif for #1  carefully threadingthe path to motherhood heartbeat.gif

#281 of 281 Old 09-26-2013, 09:55 AM

not sure if this thread is still active, but i'm subscribing to come back and read.

for now i'll just mention that i'm uber feminist, studied sex/gender and race in the context of inequality in school. i think anne fausto-sterling pretty much sums up everything important about how sex/gender (yes, both) are binary categories informed more by culture (folk theory) than science in her book "sexing the body: gender politics and the construction of sexuality". that book is like gospel to me, i will always readily sing its praises! orngbiggrin.gif

but as far as practical day-to-day concerns go, i have a lot to think about. i admit that i keep hoping for a "girl" – and then being like, what's wrong with me?! (my mom even called me out on that one!) i am by no means immune to the heavy influence of binary culture, and i don't think it's entirely escapable, even if in an ideal scenario i would prefer that, so i need to make sure i've got my head on straight so i don't do a disservice to the kiddo. i want to parent the kid as gender-neutrally as it is possible to do so. but i know even i will fall short. i think my own personal red flag is that i can't quite escape the pull somewhere inside of hoping for a "girl". this is a sign to me that my brain isn't quite where i want it to be.

i found this thread b/c i wanted to find some enlightened conversations about gender, but most threads w/ the word "gender" are not about this particular concern of mine. so, i figure a thread about radical feminism is most likely to have some of this discussion.

now here's my big head scratcher for now: i've done my research, academically, and am 100% convinced that there are no differences (especially in childhood) in personality, temperament, or intelligence, that correlate with chromosomes or genitals (and young kids don't have any discernable hormonal differences, so those aren't a factor here). so when we observe, again and again, that elementary school boys seem more prone to throw tantrums, less into being cuddly, more hyper and demanding, what does this say about how differently we are parenting boys versus girls? i've witnessed the behavior in my little cousins: the 2 girls sit on/next to me and snuggle, calmly, and the boys are romping around. the girls get all the connection and reassurance from physical touch, while the boys keep checking in verbally (showing, asking, describing). and i've seen attitude of deference & inevitability in my sister, when i am like, why don't you guys just sit and snuggle more? and she says they're boys, just more hyper, can't sit still, that sorta thing. and all over these message boards i've seen mention of how their DDs are the easy ones while their DSs are the challenging ones.

i am sure many (most?) parents will claim they've treated them identically, and feel certain this is proof of temperamental, constitutional differences. and while i'm certainly not wanting to judge these parents, my social sciences training tells me there are lots of subtle things going on they're not aware of. i really want to understand more about these subtle forces, which obviously play a huge role. and i want to be conscious of them so i can be more effective at avoiding gendered treatment of my little one. yes, i know, tall order!

that's what's on my mind at the moment. maybe this will be a good place to discuss & hear of parents who have defied these trends? orngbiggrin.gif

i just started reading "the gender myth", which is looking interesting and promising. anyone else read that one? any thoughts or feedback on this topic?

will be TTC in 11/2013 w/ frozen donor sperm via at-home ICI.  queer, 32.  DW is 41.  partners.gif married 9 yrs. stillheart.gif

treehugger.gif  joy.gif sewmachine.gif   knit.gif  goorganic.jpg   notes2.gif  and soon   bftoddler.gif familybed1.gif  malesling.GIF    

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page