SCA Mama's! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 123 Old 05-13-2009, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else out there in the SCA??

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#2 of 123 Old 05-14-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph12334 View Post
Not anymore, but I was for years (but on the other hand, it's BEEN years, too, and it was pre-kid).

Mama to DD (11/07) and DS (07/10)
#3 of 123 Old 05-15-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sometime View Post
Not anymore, but I was for years (but on the other hand, it's BEEN years, too, and it was pre-kid).
I was also really into SCA prekids, but have never suceeded in getting back to it since.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#4 of 123 Old 05-15-2009, 12:30 PM

Somewhere we have an old SCA/rennies thread. I'll try to find it and give it a bump.
#5 of 123 Old 05-15-2009, 12:35 PM

Hmmm, I guess it got archived and locked, but here it is: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=253397

Is anyone going to pennsic this year? :
#6 of 123 Old 05-15-2009, 01:13 PM

I was never fully SCA because I never had access. I did go to Shakopee and other ren faires, wear garb, and take broad sword an rapier lessons (real weapons). I had more access to foam weapon fighting groups than anything else.

Not much action since becoming a mom, though. Perhaps we'll take DS to Shakopee one of these summers.
#7 of 123 Old 05-18-2009, 01:31 PM

West Kingdom, here! My son and husband rarely attend with me these days, but I'm active. THL Elsa Saxenkammer, Baroness of the Court of the West is pleased to make your acquaintence. Being a native Westerner, I have now reached my title usage quota for the year.
#8 of 123 Old 05-18-2009, 01:41 PM

I'm in Calontir and there are a couple of folks from my barony on the board. My DH and I have still been fairly active since our DD came along though it has been more local and nearby activites. I've done a bit of research on children in the Middle Ages which also keeps me motivated.

I don't usually go to Pennsic but is anyone going to the Lilies War next month?
#9 of 123 Old 05-20-2009, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

I went to pennsic last year - with dd who was 2 at the time - then dh came and got her after only 2 days.

I now have ds who is 1 month old. I'd love to go to Pennsic, but pretty much have no oe to camp with. The folks I camped with last year are not too welcoming and even less so this year. There is another camp, but no kids in it.

In the whole Barony I can count the number of kids on two hand, and I have two of them! We just don;t have many really little ones around. Most are older kiddos and they don;t come around much.

I was hoping to find other sca mamas out there. DD was done breastfeeding when i got into the sca. Now I have one horribly modified outfit for nursing ds in.

I'm in Midrealm - Barony of Red Spears

i saw the old thread, but saw it was locked, so i started this to try and find sca moms

#10 of 123 Old 05-21-2009, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I go to sca events sometimes, but my dh is much more involved than I am. I just don't really find it fun with the kids, I feel like I spend all my time just keeping them safe and out of other people's stuff. dh and I met in the sca 10 years ago

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#11 of 123 Old 05-21-2009, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

I so love the sca - i'm at that point that i jut want to be immersed in it. I majored in art and art history, so go figure.
I leave the 3 year old at home with dad mostly now, but baby will come with me now.

#12 of 123 Old 05-22-2009, 01:27 AM

yup

Missed most of the wars last year..but have been gearing up for a couple. We are really lucky that the clan we spend most of our time with is not only the largest bard clan but also the one that puts on all the kid stuff And there are about 12 or so kiddos from 2-12 yrs. Most of the mamas are pretty AP..but I don't know them super well.
My six year old LOVES it..my husband is a heavy fighter so it's a hoot to go watch. I just wish I knew more folks to hang with during combat etc.

Anyone here in An Tir? Aquaterra?

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
#13 of 123 Old 05-22-2009, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm in An Tir, closest barony is Lionsgate. I'm just outside the shire of Lionsdale.

We go to Clinton War some years, but if we get our goats like I hope we will in the next month, I'll be staying home with them and the children.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#14 of 123 Old 05-22-2009, 07:49 PM

Hey, one of my all time favorite people is a relatively recent (last 5 years) transplant from AnTir. Any of you know Duchess (now) Kara Baraksdottir? She's the adopted daughter of Lao and the late Jarl Barak, just reigned twice down here with Uther- who has reigned in both the West and AnTir.

We might do West AnTir next year, but I don't do many wars.
#15 of 123 Old 05-22-2009, 11:23 PM

I am once again in Calontir- started in Artemisia before it was a principality (A.S XXI), moved to Meridies (now Gleann Abhann), Calontir, MidRealm, and now Calontir again.

Unfortunately, I have to skip Lilies again this year, and Pennsic is definitely out of the question. I would love to hit the Artemisian Uprising next month, as my brother has been put on notice of vigil to be Knighted, but that is also a no go.
#16 of 123 Old 05-27-2009, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

oh no, that stinks you have to miss your brother's thing.

it's always cool to hear families (not young kids) in the sca. or brothers or sisters. my family thinks i;m a freak

#17 of 123 Old 05-27-2009, 03:06 PM

This will be my baby's first Pennsic. Last Pennsic, my hurdy gurdy barely fit on my lap.
#18 of 123 Old 05-28-2009, 03:20 PM

/wave

Not SCA, but since the other thread was Faire people as well, I thought I'd poke my head in....

RPFS here, I've been working it since 1989 with only 2 years off - I got my entire family into it (parents, little brother, and now husband)

How ya doin'?
#19 of 123 Old 05-31-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
oh no, that stinks you have to miss your brother's thing.

it's always cool to hear families (not young kids) in the sca. or brothers or sisters. my family thinks i;m a freak
Yeah, he is the first in the family to become a peer. My sis was the first to do SCA, but she is in a mixed marriage and doesn't do much anymore. My mom even goes to an event every once in a while. Dad says it is not his thing (he did go to Estrella one year), but he did black powder rendevous when we were kids.
#20 of 123 Old 05-31-2009, 03:16 PM

I'm a total newbie to the SCA. I went to one local project meeting, and really loved it. Planning on going again next week, and hopefully finding a good event to go to, with my dp. (and make some garb for him. I have some that will work from ren faires, if I make a smock. never got to that lol)

(also not a mama yet, but ya know. someday soon, I hope )

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#21 of 123 Old 06-01-2009, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilliput View Post
Yeah, he is the first in the family to become a peer. My sis was the first to do SCA, but she is in a mixed marriage and doesn't do much anymore. My mom even goes to an event every once in a while. Dad says it is not his thing (he did go to Estrella one year), but he did black powder rendevous when we were kids.
that's so cool!I con;t even get my husband to come with me, let alone anyone else in my family! They pretty much all think i'm the wierd one in the family....oh wait...that's because i am the wierd one in the family!

#22 of 123 Old 06-06-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbers View Post
/wave

Not SCA, but since the other thread was Faire people as well, I thought I'd poke my head in....

RPFS here, I've been working it since 1989 with only 2 years off - I got my entire family into it (parents, little brother, and now husband)

How ya doin'?
Hey small world I also work RPFS, and did a few years up North as well. I have been working since I think 1997.

I have visited a few SCA events since my belly dance teacher was Queen a few runs out here, but I think some of the set up is so confusing. I feel like I need a thick book to get it all (so much to learn and so many titles ). Though I love to watch the dancers and there is some cool art demos.

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#23 of 123 Old 06-10-2009, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

I want to run away to Pennsic

my first event this weekend with the baby - we'll see how it goes

#24 of 123 Old 06-17-2009, 03:05 PM

Not a Momma yet, but DH and I met in the SCA, we're both heavy fighters(well, he is, I'm still working on my armor) from Aethelmarc.
#25 of 123 Old 06-18-2009, 02:46 PM

I'm missing SCA like mad spent my teen years in it. Now going to re-join with my 8 year old daughter.
#26 of 123 Old 06-19-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Sure am, I've been in the sca for hmmm around 17 years now.
#27 of 123 Old 06-28-2009, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm active in the SCA, DD too! I don't make it to as many events as I'd like, mostly just the 2 my college puts on, and Estrella War. DD has been to Estrella 5 times, we've only missed one since she was born. I'm actually Minister of Youth for the College of Brymstonne (yes, we're a wierd college, as much an assemblage of staff/faculty/alumni as students; also we're landed, if you consider 7-11 parking lots land). I also do chirurgeoning (CIT), mostly at Estrella--I do overnights while DD sleeps on a cot in the very warm Chirugeon's point tent. My persona is Norse, I dabble in various arts, and someday I'd like to do hardsuit, but it's going to have to wait until I have both the means and the time (fighter practices not something I can get to much because of transportation issues and work schedule, even though I'm no longer pg/nursing and DD is old enough that she could be on the sidelines watching/occupying herself while I played).

DD wants to do youth combat, and I plan on presenting her with armor and weapons for her birthday.

I was actually introduced to Mothering Magazine, natural parenting, etc. by a fellow SCA'er, back when I was young, single and partying down in Trimaris.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#28 of 123 Old 07-01-2009, 01:14 PM

I'm really missing fighting right now. I've had breaks of this length before but I guess being ordered to stand down by my doctor is different than deciding to skip a few practices. (I'm 27 weeks pregnant.)

The Lilies War was a bust. My DH got sick and we came home early. That's also when the weather went from pleasantly springl-ike to OMG it's hot.

For me as well the local SCA folks are some of the crunchiest people I know. I wouldn't know where else to look.
#29 of 123 Old 07-03-2009, 02:15 AM

Greetings,

I'm LadyTamsyn le Rous and currently Pied Piper of Lionsgate in AnTir. Pre-kid, I played in Atenveldt, primarily.

The SCA has been a lot more challenging since having my daughter (she's 5), but it's fun to introduce her to it as well. I went to my first camping event of the summer three weeks ago and she came along. She was scheduled to stay with Dad but when she saw me packing she got excited to join me. It turned out to be fine because we camped with some Lionsgater and Lionsdalers who had kids and babies and they all hung out and played. The event rented a group area of a campsite near Cultus Lake and the site was a big circle surrounded by bush with one exit. People camped on the perimeter and you could see and hear the kids from every point with lots of room to run. It actually felt really period.

I think the key(s) to enjoying the SCA post-kid is to 1) let go of your pre-kid expectations and 2) connect with other families. I became Pied Piper because I was basically doing it anyway and I had to concede the near impossibility of creating decent illumination near a 2-year-old.

Now that she's 5, I can give her a scroll of her own and she paints it up, then runs off to play, so things are easing. I don't make as many events but I still get to stay connected. I think having her along has helped me meet more people than I did when I first tried to play in Lionsgate.

Toni (Tamsyn)
#30 of 123 Old 07-03-2009, 03:25 PM

We're in AnTir though I don't even know if we are in a shire or barony. I figure once August rolls around I'll find out all the local info and go to a war or feasting event to meet some lovely new folks. have to join the society agian, make garb, get a name registered, etc. I think Ren Faire's would be fun too though have never been to one.
Thank you for the advice Tamsyn! Great ideas!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page