Make friends here!!!! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ugh,just bought some hair dye for the first time in the uk, & did that allergy test & it is itching like crazy. in germany & sweden PPD is banned from hair dye (it is banned EVERYWHERE from putting directly onto skin, what the hell is it doing in something you put on your head???) & i did some research,turns out a lot of people are allergic to garnier hair products, & a mum of 3 even died.
if they already make a odd free version for germany & sweden, then why the hell don't they just sell that everywhere? !!!
anyway, can anyone of you recommend a nice natural hair dye? (don't say black hennah, i reeeealllly don't have time for that tomorrow, & i need nice hair by the evening
#302 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=ithappened;13969968]Fathers day was last week here but I still sent my dad in the US something.[QUOTE]

Located in be, maybe?

Me:,loving HB,two active sons of 3 & 5,1 cat, nature lover,,extbf,occ,SAHM, multicultural/lingual family,+/-cl, :become a better parent/person by not expecting to be the perfect parent/person
#303 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
Thanks, Mimi, Sasha seems to have gotten a bit better, but I have to say that it is a new challenge with a boy. It seems we're making progress with EC as well, but I am still kinda uneasy about the whole process. It is definitely helping the rashy spot heal though.
yay! glad he is getting better.
having a boy is certainly ...different. dd was never interested in what's going on down there, this little one will actually try to take off his diaper to go investigate ..
#304 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:17 PM

[QUOTE=ernalala;13977029][QUOTE=MittensKittens;13973995]While this country irritates me in so many ways, I feel at home here.
Quote:

That's exactly how I feel here, too :-)))))))))))))))))))))))
That's why it sometimes irritates me when I'm 'mistaken' for a 'foreigner', lol.

Example of feeling at home: yesterday, we were talking (among similar origin company :-) about living here and the comment of two people who would move away this Summer was that they couldn't really get used to the local 'last-minute' things. Lololol. I said that in fact this is a field in which I achieved great accomplishments, no more meticulous and/or irritating planning within nor around me!!!, even though at times it CAN be inconvenient, I love the feeling of 'freedom' and 'seize the day' it creates. Our last visitors would make an agenda (asking our input was not such a good idea) of what they would do on each and every day of their stay here. It's sooo far of my bed now, this everyday scheduling. Being a SAHM like me of course gives you more freedom in making your own schemes (scheduled or not at all ). I understand that they did it to try and do as much as they could, all of the things they'd really liked to do around here. But for me the thing is, to be happy and satisfied, I've long forgone the idea of always having to actively go somewhere to DO something to actually have had a satisfying day. It was to the point that if an 'agenda plan' didn't happen as planned, there were irritations because of that.

I'm soso happy I learned to embrace this mentality of last-minute flexibility, it's a tremendous ability to have in dealing with my spirited, pretty inflexible little one for sure. If I would hold on to 'my plan for us' a 100 percent of the time like it often happens with ppl in my coi, it would be either continuous battle, or the scheduling parent striving to have the last word at all times, or both.

But I always find it a very hard question when people here ask me to compare my country of residence with my coi and of course 'which I prefer most'. They seem to truly believe that theirs must be 'best' but it's not that black and white, I truly prefer neither :-), there's so many factors involved that each place has it's huge pro and cons. And there are factors that've lead me to come and live here .

Also, I think you truly get to know a place/country by living there among the local ppl, not 'merely' in mainly the expat communities, imo. However I must say I meet shortly with some of the expat c once in a while, but I'm really not much into the international circles around here, and I am really mainly surrounded by locals. Not saying that most expats are wrong not to, I understand that when you're moving away every 2-4 years it's a very different thing than actually migrating and staying to live there permanently. But in the first case you often still see the culture from a very 'foreign' perspective even after several intensive years, at least, that's my observation. And that's what's mostly 'undone' for me by now.
Absolutely. I like to call myself a "wereldburger" - citizen of the world, and over the years I have come to appreciate my origins more, as well as all the places I have seen and lived in. In my case, because I am of mixed origin, I really feel like I am a foreigner wherever though, and also because I have moved around so much. Turkey is probably pretty similar to here, amongst other things because this country was occupied by the Ottomans for so long. The flexible attitude is something that I appreciate when it is about doing spontaneous, fun things, but when business arrangements fall through because of the same attitude, it is just plain annoying . You're an hour later than here, right? We're CET.

I tried the expat thing for a bit, but never fitted in there either and I just don't enjoy it that much. It takes a lot of the experience away from you, IME. Do you ever go back to your COI?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#305 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
turns out a lot of people are allergic to garnier hair products, & a mum of 3 even died.
Oops, that is what I use . Any links/research? Natural hair dye - don't use henna on chemically colored hair but I am sure you are aware of that. Other than that, don't know. I'd be interested as well.

Yeah, Sasha has discovered he can put his hands there as well, and actually laughed out loud when he found it

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#306 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:22 PM

aw man, no more links in signatures! i loved that! found so many great blogs! i will so miss that!
#307 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
aw man, no more links in signatures! i loved that! found so many great blogs! i will so miss that!
I thought they said they will automatically remove all links, but approved non-profit blogs will be allowed again? I like reading peoples' blogs too!

#308 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Oops, that is what I use . Any links/research? Natural hair dye - don't use henna on chemically colored hair but I am sure you are aware of that. Other than that, don't know. I'd be interested as well.

so far most i read were about the "nutrisse" kind, i am using "100% colour" right now, always have in germany, but it's different here, & the skin test , my skin is crazy itchy after just 3 hours!

i went to their site to see what they have to say, & it's something along the lines of "well,it's bad, but everyone uses it" .. grrr.
it does say, though, that it's my own fault because at some point i had black henna somewhere on my skin. -.- yes, i am the irresponsible one here ...

if you google "garnier allergic reaction" quite a few come up. (for me, anyway,that's google UK.).

I used to have this one that i used here in the uk, it came in a brown paper bag & was 100& natural, smelled fantastic, but they discontinued it where i shop, & i can not even remember the name of it
#309 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Sasha has discovered he can put his hands there as well, and actually laughed out loud when he found it
Ah! how adorable!
#310 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I thought they said they will automatically remove all links, but approved non-profit blogs will be allowed again? I like reading peoples' blogs too!
i hope so,i am a big fan of birth stories & baby pictures!
#311 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:39 PM

Are we the only ones still up again?

#312 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
so far most i read were about the "nutrisse" kind, i am using "100% colour" right now, always have in germany, but it's different here, & the skin test , my skin is crazy itchy after just 3 hours!

i went to their site to see what they have to say, & it's something along the lines of "well,it's bad, but everyone uses it" .. grrr.
it does say, though, that it's my own fault because at some point i had black henna somewhere on my skin. -.- yes, i am the irresponsible one here ...

if you google "garnier allergic reaction" quite a few come up. (for me, anyway,that's google UK.).

I used to have this one that i used here in the uk, it came in a brown paper bag & was 100& natural, smelled fantastic, but they discontinued it where i shop, & i can not even remember the name of it
I will be looking for a non henna natural alternative. I used to get my hair dyed at the hair dressers but I can no longer afford that.

#313 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Are we the only ones still up again?
yes, yes
#314 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I will be looking for a non henna natural alternative. I used to get my hair dyed at the hair dressers but I can no longer afford that.
yeah. i can't spend £100 on me once a month.
#315 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:43 PM

I'm glad you're still there . I can't sleep

#316 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
yeah. i can't spend £100 on me once a month.
I only dye it black anyway so t just looks the same whether I do it at the hair dresser's or at home, no highlights or blabla. And no cutting because I am growing it long.

#317 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

check all your cosmetics stuff here:

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

and
#318 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I only dye it black anyway so t just looks the same whether I do it at the hair dresser's or at home, no highlights or blabla. And no cutting because I am growing it long.
same here, it's a pain in the aehm though , i've got really light blond hair, just always looks like i'm going gray when it grows back

nah, i can't sleep either.
have not heard back about the "surviving abuse" forum, but then the mods (well,one of them) have not been online since my request to join , not sure how long this should take.
#319 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBaBa View Post
check all your cosmetics stuff here:

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

thanks baba, will check that in a moment, is that for england, too?
#320 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

why don't you like henna?

and
#321 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:51 PM

oh my goodness i will NOT be using this!!!
to think i just wasted £7 on that makes me extremly angry!
#322 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
i like it for drawing pretty things on skin (& pregnant bellies!) but for hair, the red one goes from orange to yellow to red to whatever & has to stay in for 4 or so days, the black stuff, well, it makes my hair blue
#323 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
You can't use henna to dye hair that has been previously dyed with chemical coloring. I like henna, but I don't feel like growing out every last inch of colored hair.

#324 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

i think it just dpends on whether they've done the research on the particular brand. you can sort by hazard score. it's crazy how one product (ie., a particular nail polish) can score a 0 but a different colour or type of nail polish by the same company can score a 9

and
#325 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
oh my goodness i will NOT be using this!!!
to think i just wasted £7 on that makes me extremly angry!

be sure to check out all your baby care stuff too!

and
#326 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 07:58 PM

i would rather not, i trust Claus Hipp wiht my life. :-/ (though he did sell out, Hipp's owned by J&J now, which REALLY makes me angry.

grrr. ok. off to check hipp.
#327 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 08:02 PM

the stuff we have is all a "0-2" which is.. not perfect, but not sure if "0" exists?
#328 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

I think if you're in the green you're good

and
#329 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 08:10 PM

that's good news.
sad about my hair colour though! fingers crossed i find some of that organic stuff they have with the "0" . or, well,anything but a 9,really
#330 of 1378 Old 06-22-2009, 08:13 PM

I think I am going to try to sleep now .

Good night/have a nice day!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page