Make friends here!!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post
ernalala- the reason why the strawberry ice cream often crystallizes is because the fruit adds additional water so you have to either reduce the water in the recipe somehow or puree the strawberries
Well, actually I did that, and it was cooked together with the milk and then cream added really no watery substance. The strawberries were even pureed AND strained to a half-fluid fruit paste.

Me:,loving HB,two active sons of 3 & 5,1 cat, nature lover,,extbf,occ,SAHM, multicultural/lingual family,+/-cl, :become a better parent/person by not expecting to be the perfect parent/person
#62 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:05 AM

NAK, typing with one hand

Hey ernalala, you speak DUTCH!?!? That's great! I gathered you were from Belgium but wasn't sure which part

Re neighborhood creeps, I have one too. The guy who lives across the hallway from us. He used to tell DD to "shake hands" with him, and wanted to carry her :. In the end I told him to lay off or I would call the police. This is the shirt story; won't bore you with details, but it worked. He now crosses the street so he doens't have to run into us when he spots us . The people here have pretty much never heard of keeping your hands to yourself when it comes to kids, which is annoying. But this guy is a Creep with a capital C. I don't know if that is the advice you were looking for but well... it worked!

Geigerin, you shouldn't have to read the old thread . Perhaps we should all introduce ourselves again. I'm Olivia, expat solo mom by choice of two. And you?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#63 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 AM

I would LOVE to make ice cream today. Unfortunately, the "staaf mixer" broke, but they still have lots of fresh ice cream for sale here. We might make a trip to the mall just for that.

Ithappened, Austrian? Hahaha....

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#64 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:10 AM

our icecream made from normal cream turned out really delicious, just thought i'd let you all know!
#65 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:13 AM

Wow, I can't believe that we already filled FOUR pages. HWAT, glad you found the toy, my DD can't stand losing her fave toys. Is George really attached to the toy?

#66 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 AM

ernalala- weird! then its vary mysterious to me why it would get crystals

as for ice cream. I got this little under 15 euro ice cream maker off of amazon.de. I don't make ice cream a lot but whenever I crave it (1-2 a month) and its great for that. The only downside is you have th prefreeze the container and our freezer is so small (its like a mini-fridge) that the contrainer pretty much takes up the entire thing.

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#67 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewearetogether View Post
I'm german, i lived in Nordrhein Westfahlen ( don' take my word for the spelling on this!!) near Bielefeld . (some people know it, that's why i mention it.

dh is very british, i met him when i was 16 & an exchange student , we were sitting next to each other in the cinema & i got scared so i took his hand. ( i know,weird, so not like me!) so, that's that
We decided to move to england because we always wanted to homeschool our little ones, & it is illegal in germany.
Sadly he doesn't speak a lot of german yet.

Waldorf, sort of, we have circle times in the morning & before bed, & no plastic toys, (ok, ONE little people prate ship ) we do a lot of painting, finger knitting,sewing & bees wax modeling, but we also have millions of books, which is not very waldorfy. i went to a waldorf kindergarten, which was very lovely, but then went on to a posh traditional school, so i am not sure how waldorf is going to work for us as my little ones grow, but i definitely want nature / seasons based learning.
Wow! What a small world. I lived in Osnabrueck 2002-2004. I loved it there. It was such a small city, and I could walk everywhere, even to work. I also appreciated the local dialect. It's easy to understand.

So, you and your husband have been together since you were 16?! That's amazing. I imagine you have a very close bond.

I lood forward to getting to know you.

Quote:
Geigerin- My husband is Austrian and we live in Austria (Tirol). I know you weren't asking me but was excited to see someone knew where Austria was (you'd be surprised how often people ask me if I speak "Austrian")
: ROTFLMAO. Sounds like people around here who think 'Mexican' is a language.

Yay, Tirol! Do you like to ski and hike? It is so beautiful there. I keep telling my husband that if we had the opportunity, I'd move back to Salzburg in a second. Of course, I have a list of such places:

*Banff, Alberta, Canada
*Boulder, Colorado
*Block Island, Rhode Island (near my hometown)
*Montreal, Quebec, Canada
*Interlaken, Switzerland

Those are a few favorites, anyway. Montreal is probably most realistic since my parents are only two hours away in northern New Hampshire...Of course, we'd have to learn French.

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
#68 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

yes, the pre freezing is hassle. We, luckily have a chest freezer in the cellar so we always keep it in there.

and
#69 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:30 AM

Woah...this forum moves quickly!

So, let me check:
We have a Dutch mom living in Belgium, an American mom living in Austria, and a German mom living in the UK. Right? That's awesome! (Also, I think I saw a Canadian in the mix...will take me a minute to get names memorized)

As for me, I am an American living in America- a native New Englander living in the midwest. Quite a culture shock, actually. We are TTC #1 and have 2 cats and a Great Dane (uncropped). I'm a private studio teacher on summer break.

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
#70 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geigerin View Post
. Montreal is probably most realistic since my parents are only two hours away in northern New Hampshire...Of course, we'd have to learn French.
Not true! Montreal is a truly bilingual city. You'd have no problems.

and
#71 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

ohhhh! I love Great Danes. A Harlequin Great Dane is one of my fantasy dogs!

and
#72 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
Is George really attached to the toy?
George has got a favourite toy,too . It's a Sigikid cat with red trousers, ummm, looks like this , my cardreader is broken, so i can't show you a nice picture, had to google this one.

Emis is a white dog, i think either steiff or happyhorse.
#73 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:39 AM

Geigerin- I have lived in Boulder and Banff! I also love Interlaken.

Anyhow, we have a malamute. I LOVE dogs.

I am a big time skiier, hiker, climber so living in the Alps is a huge improvement over NYC.

#74 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Woah...this forum moves quickly!

So, let me check:
We have a Dutch mom living in Belgium, an American mom living in Austria, and a German mom living in the UK. Right? That's awesome! (Also, I think I saw a Canadian in the mix...will take me a minute to get names memorized)

As for me, I am an American living in America- a native New Englander living in the midwest. Quite a culture shock, actually. We are TTC #1 and have 2 cats and a Great Dane (uncropped). I'm a private studio teacher on summer break.
Sorry if I confused you ... I'm Dutch/American living in Serbia, but we do have a Belgian mom living somewhere else but she'll tell you herself

#75 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
George has got a favourite toy,too . It's a Sigikid cat with red trousers, ummm, looks like this , my cardreader is broken, so i can't show you a nice picture, had to google this one.

Emis is a white dog, i think either steiff or happyhorse.
That is so cute. Do you ever make your own toys? I noticed you are creative too!

#76 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Wow! What a small world. I lived in Osnabrueck 2002-2004. I loved it there. It was such a small city, and I could walk everywhere, even to work. I also appreciated the local dialect. It's easy to understand.

yes, it's "proper" german
I still have friends living there, how cool!

Quote:
So, you and your husband have been together since you were 16?! That's amazing. I imagine you have a very close bond.
actually sounds more amazing than it is, i'm still quite young
but, we have a close bond anyway
It was really weird, because , we just both immediately knew that we were made for each other. i know that sounds stupid
#77 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As for me, I am an American living in America- a native New Englander living in the midwest. Quite a culture shock, actually..
I can imagine! I have this image in my mind of mid Westerners all being like in the movie Fargo

and
#78 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
That is so cute. Do you ever make your own toys? I noticed you are creative too!

aehm, i do, but, they don't turn out so very well:

creepy sleepy cat

Bluecat

Even though they are well loved by my childre, they are not toys i'd show off i'm better at quilts, clothing & such. non three dimensional stuff.
#79 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Even though they are well loved by my childre, they are not toys i'd show off
I think they are adorable!

and
#80 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBaBa View Post
I can imagine! I have this image in my mind of mid Westerners all being like in the movie Fargo
Hahaha!

HWAT, those are cute!

#81 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I think they are adorable!
yes but you are always really sweet & nice :-P
no,really,thank you. i am hoping to make a waldorf doll, but that will hopefully go better. at least there are instructions online for that.
#82 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 10:05 AM

have i mentioned how much i like the new name for this "tribe" ? just yesterday dh asked me "what are you doing?" & i just couldn't bring myself to say "i'm writing somethinbg in the no-friends-mamas thread". haha.
#83 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

MK< you're not from the mid West are you?!?!

Weren't there a lot of Dutch settlers there... no, Swedish, right?

Off to playgroup now. Have a nice day everyone:

and
#84 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Off to playgroup now. Have a nice day everyone:
byebye, have fun!!
#85 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 10:39 AM

mamas, may i have your input on this please?
#86 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Not true! Montreal is a truly bilingual city. You'd have no problems.
Well, they do understand us when we go, but I always feel like the ugly American, unable to say anything in french but hello, thank you, and may I have a croissant...(and a few bad words, but I don't use them...lol)

Quote:
ohhhh! I love Great Danes. A Harlequin Great Dane is one of my fantasy dogs!
Our dog is a Mantle, but his mom was Harlequin. She's beautiful.

Quote:
Geigerin- I have lived in Boulder and Banff! I also love Interlaken.

Anyhow, we have a malamute. I LOVE dogs.

I am a big time skiier, hiker, climber so living in the Alps is a huge improvement over NYC.
Seriously??? I am sooo green with envy right now. My husband would be jealous, too. He wanted a malamute when we first started thinking about a dog. They are beautiful, but we are holding off on high energy dogs until I'm home full-time.

Quote:
yes, it's "proper" german
I still have friends living there, how cool!

actually sounds more amazing than it is, i'm still quite young
but, we have a close bond anyway
It was really weird, because , we just both immediately knew that we were made for each other. i know that sounds stupid
That doesn't sound stupid at all. My grandma was in the 7th grade (13) when she met my grandpa (he was 16). They've been together ever since. Sometimes, it just works out that way.

Quote:
I have this image in my mind of mid Westerners all being like in the movie Fargo
Ha! No, the Hoosier twang sounds more southern to me. It's more of a drawl. I do live in a city, so it's not quite that bad. lol

#87 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:

That doesn't sound stupid at all. My grandma was in the 7th grade (13) when she met my grandpa (he was 16). They've been together ever since. Sometimes, it just works out that way.

awww
#88 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 12:33 PM

Geigerin-

I think our malamute is a defective one. She just sleeps and eats most days, when its hot out, she won't move sometimes the whole day except to go outside to pee.

#89 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
just sleeps and eats most days, when its hot out, she won't move sometimes the whole day
sounds like my ds
#90 of 1378 Old 06-18-2009, 01:36 PM

lol...and we got a Dane with a TON of energy. Just goes to show you never know what you might get.

I'm the lazy one around here...If I could nap every day, I would.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page