Make friends here!!!! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 1378 Old 06-20-2009, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBaBa View Post
It's been 2.5 years since I received a sewing machine. It is now on the dining room table and I'm good to go!

Now if I can just figure out how to thread it....
Again this sounds so much like me. It's so 'simple' when someone sitting next to you shows you, and then, of course at least a few weeks or even months later, when I finally attempt to use it (just a simple pillow case or sth), it's like sewing hell. And I end up doing it by hand the next week after I calmed down. lol.

Me:,loving HB,two active sons of 3 & 5,1 cat, nature lover,,extbf,occ,SAHM, multicultural/lingual family,+/-cl, :become a better parent/person by not expecting to be the perfect parent/person
#242 of 1378 Old 06-20-2009, 07:22 PM

hey all of you! how sweet of you to look through your posts & delete the name references! I am not sure about my signature, as, the link never does show in google, since it is spelled not together but with spaces, & googling my little one's names just points to the blog, which is fine, as that is staying. i do however definitely want mdc to not be found.
I am not sure what to do about it.

alright now,don't roll your eyes & think "pffft,teenage mama" , because dd was absolutely definitely planned , both dh & me always wanted her & never regretted our decision.
I'm 21.
(i so don't feel 21 though, other women my age just seem to be talking about boyfriends & clubs? )

Bababa, yes, i wind bobbins by hand, it's ok most of the time, exept for quilts where i usually cut my finger on the thread at least once & then keep getting the thread into that same place :

I'm off to bed now, i hope to be on tomorrow!!
good night !!
<3

ps// dh says google will re-index mothering.com soonish again, & then hopefully all old name search results will disappear, fingers crossed!
#243 of 1378 Old 06-20-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernalala View Post
Btw, 'lonelies' how old are you all? I'm 32.
't is wel een beetje raar, (al) twee-en-dertig jaar... :-)
I am 29, but I feel about 20. DH will be 41 this summer, and he acts about 20...lol. No worries about seeming young, Mimi. It's just a number, and you seem like a good mom.

BaBa- I agree, the generational thing is definitely no excuse. I'm glad you have found a way to cope with it.

Yes, I do play classical music, but my tastes are a bit eclectic. I do love Mozart and Bach and named the cats for them. However, I also love the romantics and more modern guys like Schoenberg.

My husband is not a musician and has had absolutely no exposure to classical music. I kind of like it that way. There was always a lot of drama in my relationships with musicians. I think it's the way we carry our emotions on our sleeves all the time...wasn't a good mix for me.

Suzuki- Honestly, it's like Montessori and Waldorf. I take a little bit from each idea and work with it, but I don't believe in following the method exactly. I actually have my suzuki certification, but I don't teach as a Suzuki teacher.

I like that kids start young. I truly believe that all people have musical ability. It's just a matter of training. Parent involvement is key, and I require parental attendance at most lessons (not for teenagers). This method is wonderful for very young children.

However, I do teach kids to read music pretty quickly and focus on musicianship, music theory, history, etc. more than the strict Suzuki method does. Also, kids around here generally start violin in school around age 11. As a result, I need to help with sight reading skills and cater more to an older beginner. Suzuki doesn't work as well for the more mature student, IMO.

Sorry...that's long winded, but a very brief snapshot of my philosophy...lol

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
#244 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 03:41 AM

BaBaBa, it's so cool you got your sewing machine working! What machine do you have? I am a DIY sewing machine fixer, so if you need help with fixing stuff let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernalala View Post
Lol. BVN too 'braaf' for you then? Love the 'watch tv through skype' idea. Is your aunt in view too? or ypu only hear her comments? lol.

Btw, 'lonelies' how old are you all? I'm 32.
't is wel een beetje raar, (al) twee-en-dertig jaar... :-)
She sets the computer up so that I can just see the TV. We also watch other stuff like that sometimes, and I like it! DD has a youtube obsession at the moment. She likes to watch infant swimming .

What is BVN? I am with you in the age department and I also like Doe Maar Which part of Belgium are you from if you don't mind me asking? If you do, just ignore . I really find myself saying almost everything about myself on here, which is a bad idea as we have noticed with our friend.

I'm off to edit those messages now.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#245 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 03:49 AM

morning everyone!

fathers day today, so we are going to go round to dhs parents , then go home to tidy, because it's obviously a mess today again, & then at some point my mum + her husband will need to be picked up from the airport.
i so can't face the world today , i'm even giving ds a bottle from the freezer. ( i defrosted it : )
#246 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 06:33 AM

Fathers day was last week here but I still sent my dad in the US something.

My DH bday is today so we're sort of doing whatever he wants, my guess being watching tv and movies all day . .

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#247 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 06:50 AM

happy birthday to your dh!!
i so don't fancy going to dhs parents, mil always yells at my little ones.. grrr
#248 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 08:25 AM

Good Morning!

Happy Father's Day to your DHs/Partners.

ItHappened- Happy Birthday to your DH. :

I'm 9DPO this morning and am going to get one of those fancy early tests to try to give my DH a Father's day gift. The dog got him a card, too.

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
#249 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 09:22 AM

Mimi- don't get me wrong, my DH dad (his mom passed) pretty much makes me crazy.

Geigerin- good luck with your test! Let us know how it goes

#250 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post
Geigerin- good luck with your test! Let us know how it goes
BFN. It's early and our first month charting, so I was asking a bit much. Still worth a shot, though, to try to give DH a Father's Day gift.

#251 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Can't stay and chat... gotta put a mousetrap under my skirt.

: Geigerin

and
#252 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

oops... sorry. That's too bad.
We must have been typing at the same time.

and
#253 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 11:05 AM

I had 3 months of charting before it worked for me, the first two months were sort of figuring how long my lunar phase was and my OV date, the third month I was able to time it better. . I didn't get a BFP until 11 DPO however.

We're having so much rain here, I think I might go crazy. I don't do well sitting inside all day.

What do you guys do when you have free time and the weather is always bad?

#254 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

oh! enjoy them as much as you can right now! In a few months you'll be yearning for some free time

You could prepare some meals to freeze and keep for when the baby comes.

I love to read and I'm working on a few new indoor hobbies like knitting, decoupage and now sewing. (Although I seem to be stuck now that I've threaded the top and the bottom of the machine. I can't get the thread to draw up from below. help! Machine is a Euro-pro)

and
#255 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, I want to thank M for inspiring me to reclaim my craftiness

and
#256 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
You could prepare some meals to freeze and keep for when the baby comes.
I am waiting for our freezer (which we get next month) since at the moment we only have a refridgertor the size of the ones you have usually in dorm rooms or hotels which is fine unless I need to freeze 30 or so days worth of meals.

#257 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 12:31 PM

hey everyone! i am afraid i can not stay veyr long,there is a lot of cleaning to do now, i just got home from "nanny & grandpas house" , which is always pleasant because there's always lovely red wine
anyway, off to get emi to take a little nap & then got to tidy :

i hope to be able to talk to you all later / tomorrow!!!!

(ps// soooo have to sew more smocks for dd,

one here
here another one
& here ,
as it is what she has been wearing all summe,rbut i am getting bored of the ones we have.

have a lovely day!
#258 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

positively green with envy

and
#259 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 01:54 PM

We went to a new home dec store and got some cheap bits and peaces. DD got butterfly wall stickers and is very happy . I'll be meeting with another MDC mama tomorrow, who is living abroad but has come to see her family. :

No.... DD has peen herself AGAIn so I am off to deal with that.

Did you get the machine threaded alright Ba? Let me know if you need help

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#260 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

no, I haven't. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to look at it again. The instructions in the book aren't very clear but I think as I move the needle down it's supposed to draw up a loop from below? It's not doing that.

We EC'd DD beginning at 6 months and although she's very good she still periodically will have inexplicable accidents for a few days before she gets good again. Very frustrating!

and
#261 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
no, I haven't. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to look at it again. The instructions in the book aren't very clear but I think as I move the needle down it's supposed to draw up a loop from below? It's not doing that.

you need to "sew" a few times for the top thread to be able to grab the bobbin thread, (it helps to use two different colours when you first start) . once you see the other colour coming out of the bottom you have to pull both threads up together & move them away from the sewing machine.
it can be a bother, bobbin thread often gets stuck or comes out far too slow if you did not adjust the tension right, which can then make for some messy seams. i think some machines adjust it automatically,though, i would not know, as i am sewing on that old manual singer, where tension & bobbin thread are both a major pain in the neck.
#262 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I should go help DH prepare supper.

FIL's big insensitive mouth just earned him a vegetarian supper (and he's NOT vegetarian)

Let the wine flow...

and
#263 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

oh thank you! that's good advice. Winding the bobbin by machine was actually super easy once I figured it out so I'll do another one in a different colour.

and
#264 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 04:04 PM

You really shouldn't have any problems with the bobbin thread coming upwards unless you put the bobbin in wrong. (yeah, I did this when I first started sewing ) The default on the thread tension should be around 4, at least that is what I do.

What did your FIL do/say this time? Please share the gossip .

Sasha has been having this "nasty" spot on his scrotum, like diaper rash but only in one spot. It just started bleeding . I put some calendula creme on it now, and letting him go diaper free. Moms of boys, and tips what to do to make it heal faster?

#265 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

... nothing shocking yet although I did have to shut him down before he made some racist remarks. He started with (talking about Africa) at least the colonists gave them some order. Um excuse me? They had their own order before the Europeans came and destroyed it. Most of the problems today in Asia, Africa and the Middle East are a direct result of colonization.

and
#266 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
... nothing shocking yet although I did have to shut him down before he made some racist remarks. He started with (talking about Africa) at least the colonists gave them some order. Um excuse me? They had their own order before the Europeans came and destroyed it. Most of the problems today in Asia, Africa and the Middle East are a direct result of colonization.
I just spent about a minute looking for the puking smilie. Well, I can't find it but you get the gist . When is he leaving?

#267 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 05:50 PM

:

Happy to find you all!

I have been feeling very unfulfilled in friendships lately. Also, knowing I don't want to stay in the area long term really makes me lack energy in making new friends. It really kind of sucks but where I'm at!

BaBaBa- If you get your machine threaded and needle, all you should need to do to get the bobin thread to come through is basically turn the needle wheel thingy on the side of the machine manually and it will catch and pull through.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#268 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
:

Happy to find you all!

I have been feeling very unfulfilled in friendships lately. Also, knowing I don't want to stay in the area long term really makes me lack energy in making new friends. It really kind of sucks but where I'm at!

BaBaBa- If you get your machine threaded and needle, all you should need to do to get the bobin thread to come through is basically turn the needle wheel thingy on the side of the machine manually and it will catch and pull through.
That sucks, I'm with you! At least the internet can move with you when you move . Welcome!

Hey, Ernalala, do you know this song "vriendschap is een illusie"?

#269 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Welcome everyone and anyone!

We've reinvented ourselves (or rather changed the name, we're still the same ) so if you find yourself unfulfilled in the friendship department, whatever the reason, or just want to chat, COME ON IN!:

Help me out MittensKittens!
Anyone mind if I join in?

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).
#270 of 1378 Old 06-21-2009, 07:13 PM

welcome !!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page