Summer MJ/Cannabis Mamas!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 509 Old 07-31-2009, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippy View Post
Ah...had some medicine today and yesterday. Fabulous! Everything flowed with the kids; our connection was awesome and of course everyones needs get met when we're connected. :
It had been a while. Maybe 2 months. Why? I had been building back up to the mama i dont like: edgy, irritated, short tempered, demanding, dare i admit it...a tad coercive...and definitly no fun. (Ok maybe im exaggerating but im hard on myself)
Then on Tuesday i yelled at DH..in front of the kids no less..and bless him he simply looked at me and said something kind like "You are so angry right now."

I ran to the garage and got some MJ medicine. Aaahhhhhh.Then apologized to everyone.

My SIL is a case worker and her clients are folks on various psych meds. She tells me that that its common for her clients to feel great and do well on their meds and then stop taking them because they think they dont need them anymore. They of course then fall apart.

I think im doing this. I wonder why i dont just use MJ regularly?
I love marijuana and i support it but i think there is this feeling of shame in using it. Why can't i just be OK without it? Why cant i be a great mom and partner without it? Why can't i just be relaxed and flow through my day happy instead of slightly pissed off at the world?:
On the flip side i also love it and want to shout out to the world how wonderful it is. Uy yuy yuy.
Feedback or pats on the back welcome.
Love your post! I feel very much the same way, i am such a better person with mj. None of the other meds i have ever taken have helped me like it does. I agree as well, sometimes i want to tell everyone how great it is, and then other times i feel ashamed that i use it (especially now that i am pg, i don't tell anyone) It is sad it has such a stigma.

Peace Mama, it's doing us no harm, and much good.:

Living and learning with my four young ones......
#122 of 509 Old 07-31-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
What ive noticed is that when im around folks that use MJ it somehow gets brought up and a smile or other forms of approval let everyone know whats up. Then the circle of availability becomes wider.

How about bringing the subject up innocently with the folks you assume use and see what happens. Good luck! Like bring up a celebrity caught using or something and see their reaction.
it seems like everyone is acceptable to it---just no one uses it.
#123 of 509 Old 07-31-2009, 03:48 PM

happyhippy, loved your post! So true. I felt the same way until I pushed all that aside and decided to become a daily user. If you can get a vape,that might help cut back on guilt. I had some guilt over smoking it for health reasons and b/c I know I smell awful and my kids (who are old enough to know something's up) would wonder why I smelt like smoke when we talk about why smoking is so bad for you. Don't want to confuse them and we are slowly more open about it b/c of our vape...and our "medicine box" we carry it around in.

Of course surrounding myself w/ other MJ mamas is wonderful and extremely helpful w/ that guilt.

If you are really brave you can post in your tribe forum here on mdc or here looking for other mj mamas...or here. You might be able to find connections for meds or maybe join a drum circle in your area...there are groups on meetup for that (drum circles, that is). Maybe?
#124 of 509 Old 07-31-2009, 09:11 PM

Wow, Happyhippy! I could've written that next to last post of yours!

I too know I'm a much better person to be around when I partake. Not only can I focus better on the everyday things that need to get done, but I'm way more relaxed and I am much less neurotic. Life is much more beautiful when I can get a few puffs in the middle of the day!

I'm also trying to be less hard on myself for having to depend on this herb. I justify it by understanding that it's just a plant and that it's ot laced with all kinds of toxins the way pharmaceuticals are... now if only it could be legalized in every state and federally at the very least regulated for medical purposes. My current state may be the last one to join in but that's another subject...

I wish I was close to some of you, would love to have a get together!!! Anyone in FL?

Peace out!

:::
#125 of 509 Old 08-01-2009, 09:52 PM

This is so upsetting : I am angrey that propaganda and an society with a hidden agenda has made educated women and good parents feel a shame that they dont deserve. I too have felt this inner nagging chastising me when I partake - especialy since my stint in Drug Counsiling- and I blame most of it on me going through the DARE program . Yet I wonder if people on heavy amounts of pharams feel this . I try to set an example for my children hoping that the stigma will burn out with our generation : but I sometimes feel like this miricle plant has a very long way to come

Shannon : married to my love Colin Mother to Maggie-Ray(5-06)high needs Rock star and CJ(4-08) Sweet Distruction:Vegitarian BFing BWing CDing Vax reserching Viniger loving Family
#126 of 509 Old 08-01-2009, 10:27 PM

my kids need MJ lollypops this week. holy sh**.

JK. Ok kind of Kidding. LMAO.

Its like nonstop fighting...physical and otherwise. I am like "c'mon dudes....Peace on Earth..." I certainly do not feel very peaceful at the moment. :/

I am a sad excuse for a hippy right now.
#127 of 509 Old 08-02-2009, 02:53 PM

#128 of 509 Old 08-02-2009, 03:23 PM

In the same intrest of plant healing Im loving my Aloe plant right now And thats the color of us right now .
What do you guys think is an ok age for partaking ? I know RIPAC has a parent form for kids under 16 . Im wondering becouse I have a 14 year old cousin posting all kinds of weed related things on his facebook I started my relationship with weed young but as an adult looking at kids I cant beleave how young they are. Yet I know that when my husband goes "out for air" at our next family party some other family members tag along - Id like to have a plan

Shannon : married to my love Colin Mother to Maggie-Ray(5-06)high needs Rock star and CJ(4-08) Sweet Distruction:Vegitarian BFing BWing CDing Vax reserching Viniger loving Family
#129 of 509 Old 08-02-2009, 11:34 PM

Thank you all! I feel so much better after posting and especially after hearing i am not alone! DH and i had a great conversation today about MJ, culture, consciousness, and stigma. I know i have to shrug off those guilty feelings. I have to accept the gifts and be thankful. No one's perfect (and with my upbringing i can forget it!) so why should i expect myself to be anyway? I am grateful for mj. Now if i can just figure out the vaporizer...will look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
Of course surrounding myself w/ other MJ mamas is wonderful and extremely helpful w/ that guilt.

If you are really brave you can post in your tribe forum here on mdc or here looking for other mj mamas...or here. You might be able to find connections for meds or maybe join a drum circle in your area...there are groups on meetup for that (drum circles, that is). Maybe?
Lemon Juice, i do know MJ mamas IRL and feel comfortable in my real life tribe.
Thanks for the links though, i will check them out and see if they are a community i click with. Love the Rainbow link. Ive been to a gathering and will be there again someday. Thankfully, medical mj is legal in my state. I dont have an RX (yet...) but know someone who does. Wow, is it good!

Let's keep talking about this. Its feels good for the soul. : So...

If you don't feel any guilt associated with using, can you talk about why or how you got there?
#130 of 509 Old 08-03-2009, 04:04 PM

just stopping in, briefly to vent.
we just moved. again, second time in 2 months. :
but now we are in our own place, no housemates, no extended family, jsut US. and its nice to have that.
i have a major surgery on friday. and i am way stressing. herbal meds help with the stress, BUT, i dont have any here at my house, i must go to an extended family members house to partake. and then i am limited to whatever they have.
good thing here in Oregon its really easy to find delicious wonderful herb just about anywhere.
i could definitely use some positive healthy vibes coming my way on friday.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#131 of 509 Old 08-03-2009, 04:17 PM

hugs!!!
#132 of 509 Old 08-03-2009, 05:23 PM

hi all! this is my first post here on this thread, though i've read it on and off )(mostly off) for a few months. i post on MDC pretty often, but i wanted to create a different username so i could feel less paranoid about being here.

anyway, i'm looking forward to getting to know you all. i actually know some of you already and i'm EXTREMELY disappointed that i seem to have missed a new england meetup??? is that going to happen again? i NEED mama friends who smoke. i feel so alone sometimes. i know a lot of my friends would judge me really harshly if they knew i smoke. especially if they knew how often! but i'm still a fantastic mother, and i'm more functional on cannabis than i was on anti-depressants and painkillers.

also wanted to know if anyone else here is TTC? this is my first time TTC and i don't know anyone at all who is TTC on MJ. also i'd love to share two AWESOME cannabis-positive articles from columbia.edu: here and here (it's a 2-parter). this made me feel so much better about my decision to continue cannabis and discontinue other meds, as i was feeling really rocky and guilty for it before. now i feel like the only problem with MJ is really the STIGMA constructed by our society, and not the fact that i use it.

anyway i'm off to celebrate the time with DH since DD is being babysat by the grandparents... i'm really happy to finally have the courage to post on this thread and get to know you ladies!

ETA just read the whole thread and wanted to add a couple things:
-i have never been honest with any healthcare provider about my MJ usage, which has been on a weekly if not daily basis since 2002.
-i conceived my daughter when DH and i were both smoking TONS and TONS of herb.
-thanks to the research of melanie dreher, i felt comfortable smoking throughout my entire pregnancy with DD. she's a fantastic little girl who meets or exceeds all growth/development milestones.
-i didn't smoke for a little while after DD's birth but i did start again during her infancy. i exclusively BFed her on demand. we still BF pretty much on demand now (she's 20 months old), but not exclusively since she's been eating solids for over a year. it never impacted my milk production or anything... i've always been able to make plenty of milk, and DD has always been healthy and happy.
-i was able to stop feeling guilty about using MJ this year, FINALLY, after reading the two links above and watching more documentaries about marijuana. on netflix instant or hulu i was able to watch stuff like 'totally baked' and 'super high me' which made me realize that this is SO normal and harmless. this is all illegal simply because of william randolph hearst in the 30s, and if you look at a movie from that time like 'reefer madness' you realize that it was just total propaganda. now we have a stigma that's hard to fight. people have been smoking marijuana for eons, parents or not. no parent is perfect. we all just have to be fair to ourselves to show our children that they can grow up being happy and fair to themselves as well. we don't have to constantly feel guilty for our choices or bad about ourselves. we can only teach them self-love if we accept ourselves for who we are and what we do. now i don't feel guilty and paranoid each time i use... i feel totally okay about it.

okay, now i'm really done.

in the cannabis closet since 2001. in love with DH since 2003, loving mama to DD since winter 2007.
#133 of 509 Old 08-04-2009, 12:55 AM

Welcome RootsDaughter72!!!: Thank you for the links. I will definitly check them out!

In keeping with the current theme of accepting our cannabis ways, id like to start this: Fill in your own truth.

When I use marijuana medicine I am a competent housekeeper.

Anyone else?

#134 of 509 Old 08-04-2009, 02:45 PM

I am better able to enjoy daily routines and focus on BEING, resulting in being a better mother, lover and friend.

PEACE and LOVE!

:::
#135 of 509 Old 08-04-2009, 06:33 PM

I have a couple of question that my friend was wondering about & I thought some of you lovely ladies might know or atleast be able to point me in the right direction. My friend is going to be getting her medical mj card in CA, but she is not sure how many plants she is allowed to have growing at one time with it. Also she lives in family houseing at a University of California school. Would they be able to kick her family out if they discover she has mj growing even though she will have a medical mj card? Thanks!!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#136 of 509 Old 08-04-2009, 11:07 PM

when I use MJ -
I am able to relax and enjoy my kids and husband more- yet at the same time clean more... it is a miricle plant

#137 of 509 Old 08-06-2009, 02:20 AM

When i use marijuana i am more compassionate.

Cheryl, i don't know what the details of the mediacl marijuana law is in CA. I assume its different in every state. Im sure your friend can get all the answers from the dispensary she's getting her plants or herb from.
#138 of 509 Old 08-07-2009, 09:47 PM

just a quick update: surgery went great! i got to keep my spleen. the cyst went to pathology. will be out sometime around monday or tuesday. morphine is totally jacking me up and i am SO HIGH!

#139 of 509 Old 08-07-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
I have a couple of question that my friend was wondering about & I thought some of you lovely ladies might know or atleast be able to point me in the right direction. My friend is going to be getting her medical mj card in CA, but she is not sure how many plants she is allowed to have growing at one time with it. Also she lives in family houseing at a University of California school. Would they be able to kick her family out if they discover she has mj growing even though she will have a medical mj card? Thanks!!
Growing guidelines are per county. If you Google "california medical marijuana growing limits" you'll find what your county allows. I have no idea about growing in UC family housing... I would imagine they would not allow it regardless of medical card. They could cite fire danger, using too much electricity or water, etc. Also, most counties' guidelines state that you can't grow within X ft. of a school, as well as other guidelines she'll want to check out. Good luck to your friend!

Rebecca, mom to Annie (11/07/2008)
#140 of 509 Old 08-07-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
just a quick update: surgery went great! i got to keep my spleen. the cyst went to pathology. will be out sometime around monday or tuesday. morphine is totally jacking me up and i am SO HIGH!
Glad it went well & they aren't taking your spleen out. Healing vibes to you!

Good points RebeccaWo. Thanks!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#141 of 509 Old 08-08-2009, 10:27 AM

been up to pee a handful or times, and then to walk the halls. hot damn i wish i could use my green meds here. it would make it so much easier for me to heal and relax.

#142 of 509 Old 08-08-2009, 11:00 AM

Tiff thinking of you and sending healing vibes your way :
#143 of 509 Old 08-09-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
What ive noticed is that when im around folks that use MJ it somehow gets brought up and a smile or other forms of approval let everyone know whats up. Then the circle of availability becomes wider.

How about bringing the subject up innocently with the folks you assume use and see what happens. Good luck! Like bring up a celebrity caught using or something and see their reaction.
Have tried. Uh uh, no one that I know! All I hear is that "it's addictive, only bad people do it," yada yada yada. These are the crunchiest minded mamas around (met them through MDC couple years ago). It's just more of an atmosphere in this part of the country I suppose. I am from a liberal college town and MISS it.

No private space for growing, unfortunately.

Samantha, Student, wife to my best friend (1.30.09) Mama to three beautiful daughters and and a handsome little son
#144 of 509 Old 08-09-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitsndaisies View Post
Have tried. Uh uh, no one that I know! All I hear is that "it's addictive, only bad people do it," yada yada yada. These are the crunchiest minded mamas around (met them through MDC couple years ago). It's just more of an atmosphere in this part of the country I suppose. I am from a liberal college town and MISS it.

No private space for growing, unfortunately.
That makes me so sad.
I was talking to a friend whose friend owns a dispensary where marijuana is sold legally to people with a medical marijuana license. He was just blowing my mind with it all! Edibles behind a food counter, different strains displayed on shelves, doctors connected to the dispensary to give prescriptions! Im still scared to get a license.

Peace mama! Hope you hook up soon.

Im really too old to believe this is really happening but i guess we are seeing the beginning of legalized marijuana in our lifetime. The stigma will soon be outdated too.
#145 of 509 Old 08-10-2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatianaTiger View Post
Hi Mamas,

Hope your all relaxing with some broccoli :

Ugh, I went to the OB today for my first appointment. What a waste of time I wrote on my forms that I use marijuana, I wanted to be honest. Well this dr, very mainstream, said that I need to stop right away that it's very bad for the baby. I didn't want to get in an argument with her so I didn't say anything. She wasn't very nice to me after that. I just hate the propaganda out there against marijuana : I'm also on zoloft and she says that the zoloft is totally safe but marijuana is dangerous? Marijuana is a plant, I trust it so much more to be safe compared to a man made medication. Sometimes it feels like this when dealing with doctors. I'm changing to a midwife, you could not pay me to go back to her.

So tell me mamas, were you honest with your care provider about marijuana use during pregnancy?

Not even a little bit. If it for some reason became relevant of course I would advise them, but otherwise no way.

PS we finally got a vape!!! I was feeling so guilty smoking and nursing, now I feel sooo much better!
#146 of 509 Old 08-10-2009, 02:53 AM

Many healing vibes for you Tiff~~~~

RootsDaghter72- welcome There was a NE meeting, it was awsome!! I'm sure there will be another.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#147 of 509 Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 AM

we need a mdc norml chapter.
#148 of 509 Old 08-10-2009, 08:24 PM

hi!
i'm a little shy! but i do have a question, what are your thoughts on breastfeeding and mj? i haven't partook since i got a positive test result and am thinking i'll wait until dd is weaned, but that may be a ways off if she decides to keep going till 2 or even 3 like some other families do. i don't want her to be "under the influence" until she's a reasonable age to be mature about it. i've heard it stays in your system a month and is stored in fat cells (like big fat filled nursing boobs). what do you think? should i completely forsake harvest season?:

raising and growing in the green mountains.chicken3.gif

#149 of 509 Old 08-10-2009, 09:18 PM

go with your intuition, reiki mama. If you practice reiki then you already know the answer to your question.
#150 of 509 Old 08-11-2009, 04:24 PM

happyhippy- when i use marijuana medicine, i feel relaxed, happy, and able to function.

sleepymamabear, glad it went well. hope you recover soon! can you get someone to bring you a special brownie or something?

thanks, jojo! i hope i can be at the next meeting!

vermontmama- i have been nursing DD for 20 months, and for about the past 17 of those months, i have been using mj on a daily or near-daily basis. DD has always met or exceeded her growth and developmental milestones according to her doctor, and she is a fantastically smart and amazing child. if i do say so myself. :

i can't find the link i originally read, but here's another one that is pretty interesting (focuses more on pregnancy than bfing). anyway, google around and maybe you'll find more info, but studies have been done on so-called "roots daughters" (women in jamaica who smoke pot regularly and openly) who breastfeed, and their children actually do better than their breastfed counterparts whose moms don't smoke pot. the reason for this is thought to be that roots daughters tend to be from a higher social status and have better access to information and healthcare, not marijuana itself; however marijuana did not prove any detriment. i posted a couple links on page 7 and i think one of them might go into this, but i did find the text of this study somewhere online and that is what clinched my decision to continue smoking while nursing.

it is true that if you are breastfeeding and using marijuana, your breastfed child would test positive, and that's definitely a risk to consider. but no properly-done studies have really found any effects of marijuana. for me, i would be on anti-depressants and pain meds on a constant basis if not for mj, so my DD is going to be exposed to something, and i am more comfortable with this!

do you guys have netflix? if so i HIGHLY (lol) recommend checking 'the union: the business behind getting high.' it was a very eye-opening documentary about marijuana and why it's illegal as well as the economics behind it, and i learned a lot of stuff i never knew. totally worth a watch! made me feel much better about my MJ habit too

anyway i partook before writing this so sorry if it's incoherent and rambly. i'm having a flare-up (i have severe chronic pain), and i figured mj was safer than the oxycontin i've been given, so i am puffing away over here!

in the cannabis closet since 2001. in love with DH since 2003, loving mama to DD since winter 2007.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page