anarcha mamas? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 01-16-2011, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey everybody,

Amazing thread! I live in a house with 9 other anarchists. I am an infant nanny now. I am planning to TTC as a Single Mama in January 2012 or earlier, depending on money. I'm polyamorous, but plan on being the sole "parent" to my child in a huge family of rad folks! So glad you all are here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump mama jump! View Post

I should probably reread it. I think I took it as being a little pro cio since we often have trouble distinguishing my dd's vocalizations intentions. She VERY rarely actually cries, but gets really vocal about things, so I feel like just letting her vocalize for its own sake is on par with ignoring cries since she's usually trying to tell us something important.

Quote:

Of course sex is not the only expression of life-energy that parents try to stifle in children. There are also, for example, the child's natural vocal expressions (shouting, screaming, bellowing, crying, etc.) and natural body motility. As Reich notes,

"Small children go through a phase of development characterised by vigorous activity of the voice musculature. The joy the infant derives from loud noises (crying, shrieking, and forming a variety of sounds) is regarded by many parents as pathological aggressiveness. The children are accordingly admonished not to scream, to be 'still,' etc. The impulses of the voice apparatus are inhibited, its musculature becomes chronically contracted, and the child becomes quiet, 'well-brought-up,' and withdrawn. The effect of such mistreatment is soon manifested in eating disturbances, general apathy, pallor of the face, etc. Speech disturbances and retardation of speech development are presumably caused in this manner. In the adult we see the effects of such mistreatment in the form of spasms of the throat. The automatic constrictions of the glottis and the deep throat musculature, with subsequent inhibition of the aggressive impulses of the head and neck, seems to be particularly characteristic." [Op. Cit., p. 128]

As a nanny, I think that maybe I could easily interpret the above quote as being meant for children who are a little older, as opposed to infants. The text seemed pretty adamant that loving and immediate responses to a child's needs were paramount in creating a free child.

Quote:
A new-born child has only one way of expressing its needs: through crying. Crying has many nuances and can convey much more than the level of distress of the child. If a mother is unable to establish contact at the most basic emotional ("bioenergetic," according to Reich) level, she will be unable to understand intuitively what needs the child is expressing through its crying. Any unmet needs will in turn be felt by the child as a deprivation, to which it will respond with a wide array of negative emotions and deleterious physiological processes and emotional tension. If continued for long, such tensions can become chronic and thus the beginning of "armouring" and adaptation to a "cruel" reality.

Forest For The Trees  stillheart.gif  Radical Family Support Consulting for Growing Families (ask me!)
10+ Years in Professional Holistic Childcare and Support / Alternative Education / Unschooling my Friend, Z (4)

Future Community-Dwelling, Stay-at-Home, Sole-Parent by Choice!

#32 of 48 Old 01-17-2011, 09:08 PM

I'm a bit confused from reading this thread. I always thought anarchy meant someone who doesn't believe in government telling them what to do, but this thread looks like that definition includes agnostics, atheists, and several other things. I, personally, think we'd be better off if we lived in small groups, without a government entity telling us how to live and breathe, but I believe very strongly in God and in that person being a very loving and personal being. So, I don't know if I belong here or not.

hildare, Radical Homesteading (the title) sounds intriguing. What does it entail? Do you have a link to share?

hildare likes this.
#33 of 48 Old 01-18-2011, 10:27 AM

A Random Phrase, there are religious Anarchists. I know some self-identified Christian Anarchists, though they have very radical, progressive perspectives on the faith. I personally am agnostic. I find religious literature enthralling and I believe that Jesus (if he is a factual person) would probably have identified as an anarchist, had the term been available to him. At the very least, he was anti-capitalist. Supposedly, he washed the feet of women. He honored his mother. He engaged in platonic friendships with sex workers. He died because the king wanted power, and Jesus's message of community and love were too strong for the powers that be. I love that story. It has a LOT of flaws, but I think it's beautiful at it's core, and I know it's not the only story of it's kind throughout history. Just check out this Woodie Guthrie song. Neat.

The irony is how little the "love your neighbor" ideal is practiced with wholehearted conviction within the church. I believe strongly and passionately that the institution of religion has created immense oppression and suffering. It tends strongly to be steeped in hierarchy, patriarchy, classism, racism, etc. Not Anarchist. Religious leaders are often adorned with flashy outfits and king-like status. Not Anarchist. I am not at all opposed to personal faith,  assuming that it does not result in an emotionally an socially unhealthy and deeply ingrained numbness and acceptance to patriarchy and oppression, which I believe it usually does, at least often in abrahamic institutionalized religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam).  The words "anarchia" and "anarchos" mean "without ruler". I know many people think of God as being a coercive authoritarian "father" figure, which is in no way Anarchist. At least not considering the historical roots of the anarchy movement as a very radical force for liberty through autonomy.

Some people, who would like to identify as both religious and anarchist, might try to make a discrepancy between a state ruler and an omnipotent ruler, God. So they make authoritarian allowances in their interpretations of what God is where they wouldn't in their interpretations of how the state should work. 

Anarchy has a history in many faiths but most recently and powerfully with those who aren't religious. It has strong roots in a "No Gods, No Masters" ideal. It puts a lot of faith in the inherent goodness of the individual, and their innate tendencies toward autonomy and productive collaboration in community. It asserts that where there is a master, there is sickness and there is violence.  Where there is true autonomy, there is liberty. 

Anarchy is radical and has the deepest of trust in humanity to rule themselves in a way that honors collaboration and . That doesn't necessarily conflict with the notion of god, though it often does, especially within our society.  

Community and autonomy and love. Anarchy. 

<3 (A) <3

Brendalee likes this.

Forest For The Trees  stillheart.gif  Radical Family Support Consulting for Growing Families (ask me!)
10+ Years in Professional Holistic Childcare and Support / Alternative Education / Unschooling my Friend, Z (4)

Future Community-Dwelling, Stay-at-Home, Sole-Parent by Choice!

#34 of 48 Old 01-18-2011, 05:03 PM

Habitat, thank you for the answer. My personal view of God is a being who gives us a tremendous amount of freedom to choose, including whether or not to choose to do what he says. I do belong to an organized religion, though. I do get what you're saying about the leaders of religions. Even if they don't want to be viewed as someone whose every word must be obeyed, people often put them on a pedestal.

I think you are spot on about Jesus. Most certainly, he was very radical to the people of his time.

I think I may lurk here from time to time. Thank you again for your clear answer to my question.

#35 of 48 Old 02-04-2011, 03:00 PM

Something ironic: since last posting here, I came across several anarchy blogs written by members of the church I belong to. You learn something new every day. And what they said made sense to me, so I have been seriously thinking about some of the details of how I really think. I think most people have a tendency to cover up what they really think/feel because of how they perceive those in authority over them. (I hope that made sense.) I guess I am more one of you than I thought.

#36 of 48 Old 02-12-2011, 04:27 PM

I haven't checked this thread in a while. Thanks to people who posted new links. They look interesting. I've been meaning to pick up a copy of the future generation, and have heard of Rad Dad, but never actually read it.

To me anarchism is more than just the advocacy of the absence of government, but the whole absence of hierarchy. I feel like oppression would still be present in other forms as long as there is any one or group with power over others.

That said, I have a lot of problems with religion, but certainly respect everyone's right to believe what they want.

hildare likes this.
#37 of 48 Old 02-19-2011, 09:26 PM

Yay for more anarcha mamas!

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#38 of 48 Old 02-24-2011, 07:21 PM

Hmm, I just stumbled upon this thread, and am checking out the links some of you posted. Very interesting! Can anyone recommend some really basic info on anarchism for someone who doens't know much? Thanks. :)

#39 of 48 Old 02-25-2011, 09:33 PM

sub sub subbing...

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#40 of 48 Old 03-17-2011, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

enjoythesilence, check out the anarchist faq on infoshop.org

and, i love love love emma goldman.  most of her books are really good.  i like red emma speaks.

also a berkman wrote the abc's of anarchism, which is very straightforward....

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#41 of 48 Old 03-18-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

enjoythesilence, check out the anarchist faq on infoshop.org

and, i love love love emma goldman.  most of her books are really good.  i like red emma speaks.

also a berkman wrote the abc's of anarchism, which is very straightforward....

Thank you.  :)

#42 of 48 Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 PM

loved checking out this thread, It's good to know there are others like me and my LO's papa. :)

1st time mama to my little Diogenes, born 8/25/10
#43 of 48 Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 AM

very cool thread!

#44 of 48 Old 04-28-2011, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

ok, anarchamamas & dadas... i am reading unconditional parenting and i am LOVING it.  it seems pretty much a good fit for what we believe.  anyone else read it?  your thoughts?  <3

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#45 of 48 Old 05-06-2011, 10:00 AM

hildare,
I havent read it but Ill check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#46 of 48 Old 11-20-2011, 06:46 PM

This thread is still here? Wow.

LLA (long live anarchy)

#47 of 48 Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 PM

There is also an Anarchist Mamas Social Group for anyone who is interested: http://www.mothering.com/community/groups/show/4/anarchist-mamas

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#48 of 48 Old 11-22-2011, 08:28 PM

Cool. I'll go check it out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page