Mommas who live in a not so crunchy area! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 10-12-2009, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I havent been on in awhile...I joined a church recently after being without a church home for 6+ years and BOOM huge home school, non vax type of people! I don't feel like quite the odd one out anymore, I am the only one with a kid under 4 (dd is 13m) so they have older kids, but it is noce to feel accepted....most of them have never seen babywearing though. The church even has a private very comfy area to nurse!!!
A_Random_Phrase likes this.

Monica:
dd (9-25-08)
#32 of 44 Old 03-05-2010, 02:51 PM

(what does that mean exactly?)

Hello, I was raised in a very conservative christian family in the "bible belt" area. But as an adult I have a very eclectic view of the world (pro-UC, gay rights, metaphysical spiritual mixed with traditional religious views, economically conservative, and pro-life).

My ideals are so wide-view that I feel like I don't really fit into any group....and that's okay by me. I love life and allow myself the freedom to change my mind on everything at anytime. My christian friends call that wishy-washy, but I think it allows for personal growth and development. My firm anti-abortion stance is attacked by my liberal friends as hateful, unfeeling and anti-feminism.

However, I do not judge others for their views or decisions. I leave that up to the Divine. I have both christian and non-christian friends, and love to learn about other's religious views/practices. I support women in every way possible, but I mourn abortion as a tragedy....I don't see it as a hateful crime. I see it as lost potential, and harmful to women, but I support the right to use birth control, and to openly discuss sex with our kids. I do not feel that homosexuality is a "threat" to my marriage/family values in any way. I believe some people are born gay, and have the right to have children and share their life with whomever they choose. Who am I to judge them?

See what I mean about "mixed" views? lol

I think we should worry more about our own personal relationship with the Divine/God/Goddess and just try to live and let live. We would be so much happier if we just all tried to get along more. Don't you think?

Mom of 2, ttc #3
#33 of 44 Old 03-10-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
Where in Mexico City are you?
I am from there and it is usually really crunchy!! Breastfeeding is the norm, babywearing is common, and most people eat fresh fruits and veggies instead of processed foods. They love their vaxxes though....

Or maybe it is just crunchy compared to where I live (Houston Texas) which is awfully not crunchy.
hola!!! d.f....it could be worse, yes, but it isn´t what i dream of!
no breastfeeding around here nor babywearing...i guess it dependes on social level, you know what i mean. we live in colonia del valle... belive me itñs not that crunchy!

i lived in el paso, so i know what you mean!
#34 of 44 Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 PM

We have a few awesome people out here, and a decent LLL group and stuff, but I still got to have this gem of a conversation about my baby in his mei tai:
Random lasy at the grocery store: Why are you carrying your baby around in a bag?
Me: excuse me? (thinking I had heard wrong)
her: Why do you have your baby in a bag? Can't you afford a stroller?
me: I prefer the carrier. It keeps him closer.
her: Do you need help? Can you afford his bottles?

And so on... it was terrible. ugh
#35 of 44 Old 03-28-2010, 03:20 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbigailGrace View Post
I SOOOOOOOOOOOO miss Austin! We are on the outskirts of Houston and well, it's NOT Austin!!
My husband and I met in Austin *sigh* then we moved to Portland, OR and now we're Back in Texas on the outskirts of Houston (Spring to be exact). I agree with you. It just isn't the same here,and it's a big adjustmet going from uber-crunchy Portland to, well, here. I'm lucky in the fact that I work in the Supplements (Healthy Living) area of my local grocer so I do get to talk to others that are wanting to heal themselves naturally and eat the anti\ural and organic (bulk) foods. I do miss a good playdate or LLL meeting. I've actually gone to a few here and didn't really feel like I clicked. Oh well, That's why they have Mothering Forums right?!

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

#36 of 44 Old 03-29-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post
Count me in. We're in suburban Utah. I have gotten so many comments on babywearing, and not ONE person has even known what to call it.

Them: That's a nifty....thing. She looks so happy in there.
Me: Yep, I love my sling.
Them: Did you get it in Africa?

I don't even talk to people about what we do. I wish we were in SLC because it is a little better, but not much...
Another Utah Mama

In the last year we moved from Sugarhouse (had been there 7 years, LOVED IT) to Murray, and now to Sandy. I have only seen one Mama NIP in my whole life And I do get the comments on DS's babyhawk, like, Wow does he have you trained! Or, they didnt have those when I was a mom! Uhh.. ok.

All my IRL friends think I'm nutty, for many reasons, and actually made bets about me while I was pregnant They made bets when (not IF, but WHEN) I would crave meat while I was pregnant and give in, ask for an epidural in my labor, give up breastfeeding, give up cloth diapers, and hate being a SAHM. Like, gee, thanks for being so supportive everyone

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#37 of 44 Old 03-31-2010, 10:59 AM

I should have reda this before I posted my new post...on the forum. I completely get it! So frustrating.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#38 of 44 Old 04-25-2010, 06:57 PM

I can see this thread is old, so maybe you aren't all on here.

I feel you about not feeling supported by the world at large--I live on a farm in IA, and walk a line of crunchy (many of our lifestyle and baby rearing choices) and not (conservative Christian who, believe it or not, doesn't judge).

We have a great opportunity to serve others by educating them. When I get odd looks for wearing my baby, I stop and talk with the person. When people question me about home birth, I advocate for it and open dialog. I've found when I am honest and open about our choices, people end up, maybe not changing their point of view, but feeling comfortable letting me have mine.

I think what it mostly is, is people feel judged, defensive, or uncomfortable when they see you making a different choice than they make, even when you *really* don't judge them at all (does that make sense?)

Like, if you choose homeschooling for your family, they feel you are saying they are bad for choosing public school, even though you don't necessarily feel that way...

I get on my soap box as often as I can to educate. :-)

I'm glad you guys have the forum and I hope you find like-minded IRL friends too!

Jessica: wife and helpmate to a farmer and mama to two girls and two boys
#39 of 44 Old 11-18-2010, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

hi...I am back after a long absence...dd is now 26 months, we stopped nursing about a week ago, she has totally forgot how to latch (I am sad about that)  Glad to see this thread kept going without me!!

Monica:
dd (9-25-08)
#40 of 44 Old 12-12-2010, 04:30 AM

I totally understand and glad I found this tribe.  I live in Northern Michigan with my dh and twp beautiful children.  I have lived here for over half of my life and I enjoy the nature aspect of the town, but there are very few of us that practice natural parenting, organic living etc.  My bff and I always get looks and comments made to us about our cloth diapering, baby wearing, organic eating lifestyles.   I am very glad I have her for support.  To shop we go out of town as well as finding other AP's.  It's tough at times, glad I have MDC to come to when I can't get out. 

Yoga loving momma to DD, Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08, DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason 
~Living to preserve Gods green earth~

#41 of 44 Old 01-13-2011, 04:28 PM

I am soooo with you ladies here in SW Missouri.  It's real tricky too, being out here in the country where people like to do their own thing and mind their own business, because you might be doing the same thing (ie: homeschooling) as your neighbor, but BAM once you start talking about it, you find it's for 100% opposite reasons.

#42 of 44 Old 01-31-2011, 05:28 PM

I feel that way here. I've lived here since May 2004 and have yet to fit in. So many people are christian, right wing, republican, gun-toting, racist, uninterested in preserving the environment, SUV/truck driving, and have no interest in considering life from any other perspective.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#43 of 44 Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Hello!  I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma.  Conservative is an understatement, for sure.  The government is embarrassing and the culture for the most part is quite unwelcoming to anything crunchy.  BUT, I found a fabulous Unitarian Church and have hooked up with a thriving community of crunchy mamas.  I think because we're such a minority, and the majority here is very outspoken, the impetus to band together is strong.  There are always a couple of establishments a year that ask a mama to leave for nursing, so we do nurse-ins, and there are two homebirth midwives.

I feel really fortunate that I don't have to be alone.  This would be a scary place to live without others for support!

#44 of 44 Old 02-08-2011, 12:08 PM

A Unitarian church would be awesome; our closest one is an hour and a half away.  I could actually drive into the city and find a fair number of mamas to stand together with, and in fact did do a few things with the LLL group there when my youngest was tiny and i really craved the support, but that was a lot of driving, and none of them were exactly willing to come my way, while the rest pretty much lived within walking or bus-riding distance to each other.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page