Military Moms - Sept. - Oct. 09 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 238 Old 10-21-2009, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We did the PKU and hearing screen in our house when she was 5 days old but I've never received any paperwork as a result, all I was told was that both were normal. She was supposed to have it done when she was 2 days old but my midwife had other stuff going on (surprise, surprise). She's actually a CPM, so not recognized in North Carolina. I was supposed to have a lot of things done during my pregnancy, but she kept having to reschedule appointments and she would forget that I needed certain things done. Honestly, I wasn't too worried about it but now it would be nice to have some kind of record in order to get her birth certificate.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#182 of 238 Old 10-22-2009, 12:43 AM

Wow, that seems like a really disorganized midwife! How awful, with all the other stuff you have going on, to have to do that.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#183 of 238 Old 10-22-2009, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Wow, that seems like a really disorganized midwife! How awful, with all the other stuff you have going on, to have to do that.
My DH is furious with the whole situation. We paid $2700 out of pocket for her services and while I am more than satisfied with how Laine's birth turned out, he is upset that we paid for someone to do a service for us and to attend her birth and she couldn't even get that right. The reason she missed the birth was because she got lost and I had to give her directions about 5 minutes before Laine was born. Later on she said she won't get a GPS because listening to it is too distracting for her when she drives

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#184 of 238 Old 10-22-2009, 01:49 AM

WOW. Um. Turn off the sound, lady, and look at the freaking map.

You don't get a refund if she doesn't find your house for the birth? I mean, that could totally happen to me but THAT'S WHY I DON'T WORK IN PUBLIC SERVICE.

It's fine to have a UC, accidental or otherwise, but what if something had happened and she were your backup with pit on hand or something? Ack!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#185 of 238 Old 10-22-2009, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
WOW. Um. Turn off the sound, lady, and look at the freaking map.

You don't get a refund if she doesn't find your house for the birth? I mean, that could totally happen to me but THAT'S WHY I DON'T WORK IN PUBLIC SERVICE.

It's fine to have a UC, accidental or otherwise, but what if something had happened and she were your backup with pit on hand or something? Ack!
That is my DH's reasoning. She did show up about 5 or 10 minutes after she was born, and in time to catch the placenta. I'm glad that she was there for the placenta because I did have retained membrane that needed help, I wouldn't have know what to do about that had I been alone. I had read enough as far as checking for a cord and removing it, and what to do once the baby was out.

Her contract states clearly that there are no refunds if she misses the birth, it's just kind of something that you assume may happen when you have a homebirth. I think mine could have been prevented if she had been a little quicker about getting to my house but I am happy with how the birth turned out. I think I knew all along that I'd end up UCing just because of how we interacted during my pregnancy.

#186 of 238 Old 10-22-2009, 02:21 AM

That's crazy- fun that you got to UC without the pre-UC angst, but crazy. My midwife actually does give refunds if she misses the birth.

But then, she will drive two hours just to check dilation if you think you're close, and she will stay 48 hours. She is used to working a rural area. I say "is" but she finally got her baby, and is no longer working for now.

DH wants to have # 3 in Germany so it will be German. We'll see.

#187 of 238 Old 10-23-2009, 02:15 PM

Has anyone done the whole IM/webcam chat thing with Skype while their spouse was deployed? If so, what did you think? Was it worth the initial expense and set up? We're considering using the Skype once DH has a reliable internet connection in his office, so I'd like some opinions on it.

Thanks!

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#188 of 238 Old 10-23-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul-O View Post
Has anyone done the whole IM/webcam chat thing with Skype while their spouse was deployed? If so, what did you think? Was it worth the initial expense and set up? We're considering using the Skype once DH has a reliable internet connection in his office, so I'd like some opinions on it.

Thanks!
I thought some form of it was free? You can either use that or Yahoo I believe. We haven't used either yet but now that DH has internet in his room we will eventually, I didn't even think to find out if we could use it from his office. We've used it with my BIL when he was deployed and it worked fairly well.

#189 of 238 Old 10-24-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
My husband and I did yahoo messenger (which has voice and video options) while he has been gone in Korea. It worked great and it was really nice for him to be able to see the kids.
#190 of 238 Old 10-24-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
I thought some form of it was free? You can either use that or Yahoo I believe. We haven't used either yet but now that DH has internet in his room we will eventually, I didn't even think to find out if we could use it from his office. We've used it with my BIL when he was deployed and it worked fairly well.
Not while deployed, but while DH was in Afghanistan working as a civilian, we have used it. Yes, it's free, but if you don't have a webcam, you do need to get one. The quality of transmission to his civilian office was pretty poor, so my young child did not recognize her daddy's voice or face because the picture was so pixelated and the voice was all electronic-sounding. A lot of times, it just cut off. With a child four or older, I'd say it would be worth it for sure.

It might work better from Iraq.

#191 of 238 Old 10-25-2009, 03:20 AM

we wanted to use vidio or voice and ended up just using text chat a ton, he was at camp Liberty in Baghdad, but internet was there but always schetchy!! a lot!! just having text was great. the tech and camera is built into a Mac right out of hte box and did work great when we had good internet signal. but for us it was nice neer to get cut off so text was a often and comfort thing we could allways count on.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#192 of 238 Old 10-25-2009, 11:53 AM

This may be a ways back for some of you but when your SO went to BCT, did your housing allowance start right away? Our recruiter told us DH wouldn't get the housing allowance until the start of OCS. That extra three months would help alot. TIA!

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#193 of 238 Old 10-25-2009, 12:29 PM

Our housing came right away in his first paycheck, which is nice - but his first pay was over a week late. Just a head's up, so you are prepared that it happens sometimes.

Sharon FF/Medic DH 3 DD's 2/98, 4/01, 11/05
~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#194 of 238 Old 10-25-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Pay was 4 months late for us, but when we finally did get it BAH was included.

#195 of 238 Old 10-25-2009, 01:43 PM

we got bah during bct, but dh is only an e4. I don't know if it's different for officer candidates.
#196 of 238 Old 10-25-2009, 04:23 PM

We got it right away, and DH was an e4 as well. But he didn't go to OCS. Hopes to when he becomes a citizen.

Question- if your DH is not an officer, and you lived or live in Europe, did you manage to live on the economy?

#197 of 238 Old 10-26-2009, 08:42 PM

I feel like I should know this one, but can't seem to remember the answer. My DH will be promoted on November 29. If the Army gets the accounting right (i.e. in a perfect world!), will the pay raise be reflected in the November 15 pay or the December 1 pay, given that everything is paid in arrears?

TIA!

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#198 of 238 Old 10-26-2009, 10:31 PM

If your dh is enlisted, he probably won't see the difference in pay until mid-month or end of December, and you'll see back-pay anytime up til then. If he's an officer, it could be months, unfortunately.
#199 of 238 Old 10-26-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenok18 View Post
If your dh is enlisted, he probably won't see the difference in pay until mid-month or end of December, and you'll see back-pay anytime up til then. If he's an officer, it could be months, unfortunately.
He's an officer, so March/April ? Thanks for the head's up! I won't make any plans for the extra money.

#200 of 238 Old 10-26-2009, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I feel like I should know this one, but can't seem to remember the answer. My DH will be promoted on November 29. If the Army gets the accounting right (i.e. in a perfect world!), will the pay raise be reflected in the November 15 pay or the December 1 pay, given that everything is paid in arrears?

TIA!
If they get it right, I'd estimate it would take about a month from the date of promotion. It never works out that way though.

DH got promoted in May, as of right now we have yet to see any extra money. This next pay day will bring us to a total of $2800 is back pay. I've been told that once they get their head's out of the behinds we'll get it all pretty quickly, no clue when that will be.

#201 of 238 Old 10-27-2009, 01:54 AM

My DH likes to tell me the day before payday "I hope the Army pays us tomorrow!"...Can u guess how many times we have had problems with pay? If u owe the Army money they take it yesterday...if they owe u money u may see it one day!

EdnaMarie- I would wait until u get to Germany to see about housing. We got there and on post housing was full so the Army went out and leased us an apartment on the economy. Which gave us the luxury of off post housing without the expense Where in Germany are u getting stationed? We were in Schweinfurt!
#202 of 238 Old 10-27-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgrimm View Post
My DH likes to tell me the day before payday "I hope the Army pays us tomorrow!"...Can u guess how many times we have had problems with pay? If u owe the Army money they take it yesterday...if they owe u money u may see it one day!
I feel like stating this publicly will jinx me forever, but...

Aside from some back TDY pay that wasn't received in a timely manner, we haven't had any pay snafus yet. When my DH was promoted, and when he was commissioned, the pay was always correct. I suppose my luck is bound to run out sooner or later, no ? I asked DH about it last night, and he is not anticipating any problems. He's also an eternal optimist.

#203 of 238 Old 10-27-2009, 11:55 AM

We leave for Korea on Tuesday! The local post is giving me a hard time about shipping our HHG, they're saying that we're not entitled to any, just 500 pounds of unaccompanied baggage. Here's hoping that they get some sense beaten into them today by my peeps in Korea, LOL.

Cross your fingers, I'm not taking much, but what I am taking, I really, really *need*.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#204 of 238 Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
We leave for Korea on Tuesday! The local post is giving me a hard time about shipping our HHG, they're saying that we're not entitled to any, just 500 pounds of unaccompanied baggage. Here's hoping that they get some sense beaten into them today by my peeps in Korea, LOL.

Cross your fingers, I'm not taking much, but what I am taking, I really, really *need*.
This is not correct. Did he give them his old orders and not his amended ones? That may be the problem. Since he's accompanied, you're authorized that HHG allowance.
#205 of 238 Old 10-27-2009, 01:43 PM

Mmgrimm- no such luck. Baumholder just had a ton of people leave and they have blocks and blocks of houses free for the taking on base. I mean I shouldn't complain but I'd love to live off-post. We'll see.

#206 of 238 Old 10-27-2009, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I feel like stating this publicly will jinx me forever, but...

Aside from some back TDY pay that wasn't received in a timely manner, we haven't had any pay snafus yet. When my DH was promoted, and when he was commissioned, the pay was always correct. I suppose my luck is bound to run out sooner or later, no ? I asked DH about it last night, and he is not anticipating any problems. He's also an eternal optimist.
I don't think you'd have any problem either, it's pretty straight forward given that you don't have any special circumstances.

#207 of 238 Old 10-27-2009, 09:44 PM

In over 12 years, we've also never had a pay issue, other than an allotment that was done incorrectly. Enlisted, officer, promotions, flight pay increases - not once!

Of course, now that I've said that, we'll have a "no pay due" on the 1st!!
#208 of 238 Old 10-27-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLittleMonkeys View Post
In over 12 years, we've also never had a pay issue, other than an allotment that was done incorrectly. Enlisted, officer, promotions, flight pay increases - not once!

Of course, now that I've said that, we'll have a "no pay due" on the 1st!!
LOL! My thoughts exactly. However, it's nice to hear that, even in an organization as large as the U.S. Military, pay can be doled out correctly every time. May your good luck continue.

#209 of 238 Old 10-28-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
This is not correct. Did he give them his old orders and not his amended ones? That may be the problem. Since he's accompanied, you're authorized that HHG allowance.
nope, I'm the one that gave them the orders. I gave them the CSP orders, and then they wanted the original orders, and THEN the pinpoint orders...and then they wanted to know how long we've been married () and whether or not the Army was paying for the move (umm, duh? isn't that the point of csp?)

then she got into a long email debate with the head of transportation in Korea, who finally asked her, "if you know something about command sponsorship and Korea that no other CONUS installation knows, please let me know so we can get this case back on track. We process hundreds of families every week, and have never had this issue before"

soooo, yesterday, I emailed her a couple of times asking for an update, and she finally consented to the shipment. Gah!! I'm so ready for all of this to be D.O.N.E.

They're coming for UB today, NTS tomorrow, and HHG on Friday. Dog goes for his health certificate this afternoon, and van ships on Monday. We leave TUESDAY!!!

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#210 of 238 Old 10-28-2009, 05:24 PM

Hey! I know this has been asked a billion million times but oy it's so hard to figure this stuff out!

I am trying to figure out home birth info! Aggghhhh! Just being pregnant is confusing enough. Now they're throwing out things like global auths and needing to have a referral to any physician for pregnancy. I SWEAR i did not have to do this for dd. Things were easier it seemed! Anyways I'm supposed to have an appt with my PCM to get a global auth for pregnancy but it's just rediculous as this point. I'm 16.5 weeks and have NEVER met this pcm let alone the fact that base care has hit the bottom of the toilet. It'd take a month to see them! Ugh. Anyways my problem is if they do cover home birth. I swear they do right? CNM's only right? We have a freestanding birth center (that became covered when i was pg with dd) that have CNM's but they don't do home births and there are no CNM's that do homebirths listed on the triwest site. So how does it work? What magic words do I need? Do they cover 100% or 80%?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page