Military Moms - Sept. - Oct. 09 - Page 8 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#211 of 238 Old 10-28-2009, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've only ever rarely seen them cover homebirth and that is based on state, etc. and it's always a fight depending on rules they are forced to follow in some states. Good luck.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#212 of 238 Old 10-28-2009, 11:17 PM

Hmmm I think the friends I know paid out of pocket for the actual birth. They went Standard perhaps for prenatal care w/the CNM. Standard is a Global package, covers 100% except for some labs and you have to stay off Prime for a year if you are E5 and up.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#213 of 238 Old 10-28-2009, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Your best bet is really going to be calling the midwife directly. CNM's are covered under prime as far as I know. They're going to know how to bill Tricare and all of the intricacies involved. I ended up paying out of pocket for mine, though.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#214 of 238 Old 10-29-2009, 12:41 AM

My midwife took Tricare in Washington state- she was an LM. She said the way she billed them, they covered most of it.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#215 of 238 Old 10-30-2009, 03:45 PM

Hi there! I hope it is ok to post a question in this thread, though I myself am not a military mama (and God bless you women who are!!)

(If you suggest I start a separate thread or post elsewhere I'm open to that!)

I just wondered if any of you had suggestions for what might be best to put into a military care package for someone deployed overseas? My brother deployed to Iraq earlier this month, and I'm kind of struggling with something he might find useful and fun to receive over there. It's like, you don't want to send anything bulky that takes up a lot of room, obviously you can't send perishable items, we communicate fairly regularly on email/skype so while I will be sending a letter it won't be super exciting... ya know? I'll put in a recent photo or two of my daughter b/c she's the only kiddo in his life right now and he worships her (he and his wife have no kiddos yet).

Also, this time around I will be sending him a big surprise - the gender of his unborn niece or nephew in a sealed envelope, so he'll be the only one to know! How do I top that for future packages?!

Anyhow any suggestions would be super great. And again, please forgive me for thread-crashing!

~Gina

Gina, wife to DH, mama to my heart breaker Cecelia (10/13/07) and
welcoming our new baby boy Henry (03/08/10)
#216 of 238 Old 10-30-2009, 03:52 PM

No problem - baby wipes, those little crystal light packets to flavor one water bottle at a time), snack food that is harder (beef jerky, thick pretezels, etc.) and PICTURES - looking at home, nieces/nephews etc. is great.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#217 of 238 Old 10-30-2009, 04:07 PM

My husband is in Iraq right now and there's a large PX on his base, so he doesn't need a lot. There are some magazines he can't get over there and some vitamins he asked for, so I'll be sending those soon. But most things these days, they can get over there. I think anything would be fine and just getting a package will be appreciated.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#218 of 238 Old 10-30-2009, 04:52 PM

Some of the wives/girlfriends that are around here are sending "seasonal" decorations, like a theme box-- Halloween ones went out the beginning of October, Thanksgiving type stuff will go out in the next week or so, etc. etc.

Chocolate doesn't hold up at all. It's better to skip it-- the thought is nice, but it's usually one big blob by the time they get it.

Crystal Light/Gatorade tubes are good. The new Starbucks viva line is a bit pricey, but a great idea for your coffee drinking deployed person!

Angie, proud Army wife to Dan, mom to Kat (4/00) and Gracie (11/09)!!
#219 of 238 Old 10-30-2009, 05:08 PM

A little Christmas tree would be nice! My husband didn't have one for his second deployment and he actually took one over this time.

It's so hard to know what ot send these days because they have jsut about everything over there - including Starbucks and other chains!

#220 of 238 Old 10-30-2009, 07:06 PM

Can they download music? Would a Christmas CD be appropriate? I remember when I was in Afghanistan it took ages to download music and I didn't have a lot of Christmas music on my computer. I sure missed it.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#221 of 238 Old 10-31-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Can they download music? Would a Christmas CD be appropriate? I remember when I was in Afghanistan it took ages to download music and I didn't have a lot of Christmas music on my computer. I sure missed it.
My husband was asking me for Christmas music recently. The internet is too iffy and slow most times over there for downloading. Depends on who the CD is going to though. Not everyone likes or celebrates Christmas.

#222 of 238 Old 10-31-2009, 01:10 AM

Well, sure, but I bet for some it would be a welcome taste of home.

#223 of 238 Old 11-03-2009, 05:07 PM

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I picked up some packets of Crystal Light lemonade and iced tea, and also some instant coffee from Starbucks. I think he'll really like that - he loves coffee. And if not, I'm sure he can find someone who would We also sent some photos, along with the mysterious ultrasound results. (My mom also sent him a package last week with lots of baby wipes - he requested those himself already too!)

I may keep the Christmas music in mind for next time - I bet he would like that.

Thanks again!
~ Gina

#224 of 238 Old 11-03-2009, 05:08 PM

i hint on baby wipes, the cheep ones from Costco are great and dont smell like baby t all! we have used them for years

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#225 of 238 Old 11-03-2009, 05:19 PM

The Costco ones are the only ones we buy - too funny! They are great

#226 of 238 Old 11-04-2009, 06:41 PM

New here and with alot going on....

My DH is in the AF and will be leaving very soon for a joint assignment Special Ops deployment. We are at a training base where few people deploy, and his work has been less than supportive.

We have a 26 month old son, who was just diagnosed on the autism spectrum. I am going to have to navigate getting him set up in the EFMP program by myself. We have a 7 month old son with severe reflux. I have beeen battling to get better medical treatment for him since he was 3 weeks old, but am consistently ignored by the doctors. For example, they refused a referral to a ped GI until he was spitting up blood. Now they are blaming lack of weight gain on poor breastmilk supply and refusing to do food allergy testing.

I don't have any family support, and am not close with my family. I do have a pretty good local support network but few people can manage 1 of my boys for a short period of time, and I don't know anyone that can handle them both.

Any suggestions?

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
#227 of 238 Old 11-05-2009, 02:06 PM

The costco wipes are great. Plus they don't LOOK like baby wipes.

#228 of 238 Old 11-05-2009, 04:17 PM

We used the Costco wipes as wet wipes for us, just you cannot flush them... so we switched to Scotty's. Pretty cheap too.

@ Soul-O: you can see the money more quickly. Your DH needs to harass finance all the time. It took 4 weeks after his promotion for us to get the backpay and new salary on his paycheck. It took less than 3 weeks to get our DITY money (each time!) and DLA and so forth. We pester them a lot, in a friendly way, but he keeps checking up every other day. That way, you do not have to wait ages for your money. We'll see what happens in June when he'll promote to the next rank. New base, you never know
#229 of 238 Old 11-05-2009, 05:15 PM

It's been awhile since I have checked in on this thread, just thought I would pop in to see how everyone was doing! We are doing well here. DH isn't in the middle of a DI cycle which is really nice, so he has been able to come home every night and all weekends. DS is ecstatic about that! Plus he'll be able to be off for a few weeks when the baby comes (hopefully any day now) which will make a huge difference. He was deployed when DS was born so this is all new for him!

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#230 of 238 Old 11-05-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReady2bMama View Post
Thank you so much for the suggestions! I picked up some packets of Crystal Light lemonade and iced tea, and also some instant coffee from Starbucks. I think he'll really like that - he loves coffee. And if not, I'm sure he can find someone who would We also sent some photos, along with the mysterious ultrasound results. (My mom also sent him a package last week with lots of baby wipes - he requested those himself already too!)

I may keep the Christmas music in mind for next time - I bet he would like that.

Thanks again!
~ Gina
Crystal Lite is the best deployment present ever!! I loved getting it, because I was trying to quit drinking soda. You had to suck down something all day long and I'd get tired of water.
#231 of 238 Old 11-05-2009, 07:05 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Ft Hood}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Resistance is futile Matey
#232 of 238 Old 11-05-2009, 07:32 PM

For all those at Ft. Hood, or who have loved ones there, our prayers are with you.
#233 of 238 Old 11-05-2009, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Lots of prayers to anyone at Fort Hood right now that you and your loved ones are safe

My heart is breaking for all of those soldiers and their families.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#234 of 238 Old 11-05-2009, 09:45 PM

So heartbroken about Ft hood.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#235 of 238 Old 11-06-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racie0417 View Post

My DH is in the AF and will be leaving very soon for a joint assignment Special Ops deployment. We are at a training base where few people deploy, and his work has been less than supportive.

We have a 26 month old son, who was just diagnosed on the autism spectrum. I am going to have to navigate getting him set up in the EFMP program by myself. We have a 7 month old son with severe reflux. I have beeen battling to get better medical treatment for him since he was 3 weeks old, but am consistently ignored by the doctors. For example, they refused a referral to a ped GI until he was spitting up blood. Now they are blaming lack of weight gain on poor breastmilk supply and refusing to do food allergy testing.

I don't have any family support, and am not close with my family. I do have a pretty good local support network but few people can manage 1 of my boys for a short period of time, and I don't know anyone that can handle them both.

Any suggestions?
That's awful! Is there anyway you can switch pcm's to someone off post?

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#236 of 238 Old 11-07-2009, 11:50 AM

Sending my thoughts and prayers to anyone affected by the Ft Hood tragedy.

Sharon FF/Medic DH 3 DD's 2/98, 4/01, 11/05
~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#237 of 238 Old 11-07-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racie0417 View Post

Any suggestions?
Okay - do you have PRIME or Standard? I'd say switch to Standard so you don't have to wait for a referral. That being said you need to go to the MTF Ombudsman and ask for help - because this attitude with medical care is NOT okay.

On your EFMP - do you have the contact, help of his command? I think they have to sign off on lots of paperwork so you want them to know, before he leaves, that they need to assign an XO or CO who you can speak to who can sign the paperwork - NOT some low-ranking guy who will always promise to call back when he talks to someone. Get that "someone"'s number directly and make it work!

Good luck Mama - have you made any local MDC through your Tribal area? Maybe a local SN board for Moms of kids on the spectrum? Sounds like you could use a good mentor/friend to help through this journey.

Ft. Hood

#238 of 238 Old 11-12-2009, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

NEW THREAD!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page