is there a bra-free tribe? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 178 Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Preggie, That is beautiful! I wasn't so lucky , but pregnant with Athena and had a really fast growing tumor in my thyroid. There was a lot of outside pressure too. I have been bra-free for a little while now. I got Rolfed and started to notice the disc in my back being bad - right where my bra line was too. I am working on letting go, it is happening fast. Sometimes I wear them just to unhook it mid morning and be in public.. I am a 32B.. I really don't see the point anymore. DH loves my new boobs. I love not wearing one now and it is growing into public days fast. I love this new mindset.... (just like above poster preggie) reinvented my life and these very beautiful days keep happening. If anyone does notice.. I think it is a turn on :P. And I think that our very beautiful connection with each other (you mamas) is kind of an in.. Very happy.

Leslie, organic semi-unschooling mama teaching my children 5 and 2.75, that love & happiness is most important. Letting their light shine, finding out they are teaching me. Love being in the moment & nature.

#152 of 178 Old 03-01-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post

I'm still cosy and bra free in my cami here in the freezing cold winter. Can you believe that we have had -17C here in the UK? It's unheard of!

Not much else new here but I thought I'd share this. I have been married to my dh for nearly 9 years and not worn a bra for all of that time. Out of the blue the other day he said to me "I never thought I'd end up with a girl who didn't wear a bra" He had just come home from work and hugged me as he does every day and when I asked him if that bothered him he said of course it didn't but he'd realised he can hug me and run his hands up and down my back without hitting any hardware which is nice.

He never thought he'd raise a child without ever having put a nappy on her bottom or co-sleep or be a babywearing dad so it's another thing to add to his list of non-mainstream marvels!

I think that's what my hubby and anyone else that rubs my back likes.  No straps.  I love being bra free.  I'm trying to figure out how to make my own TTime Flatwear shirt while I'm pregnant. I think I'm feeling more conservative now that I'm going to church on a regular basis.  I just want some nipple coverage because they are hard all.the.time.  I would only do it for church.  I agree I think its a big turn on and I like that factor, esp. when its warm and sunny outside and just wearing a tanktop feels so good.  orngbiggrin.gif  I've been bra free now going on 6 years.  I love.gif it.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#153 of 178 Old 03-11-2011, 10:33 AM
rcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandk0610 View Post

anyone have any links to organic shelf-bra tanks or molded camis? if you know of ones that are made in the USA, it's a plus! tia! smile.gif

I have been lurking on your thread for a month or so. I hate bras. I often get to work and close my door and take it off (I am a professor), but I find it very uncomfortable to be teaching class in no bra (well, I have never had the nerve to do it, so I don't really know if it is uncomfortable, but I am afraid to try). I look at myself in the mirror with a bra, and then without one, and I can totally tell the difference.

I would love to have some suggestions on a shelf-tank or another alternative to a bra (camis sound wonderful, but I am not really there yet). Does anybody use a shelf-bra that is not cotton - like made of microfiber, or very thin cotton (I mean, not the cheapie old navy kind that is meant to be worn with nothing over it)?

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#154 of 178 Old 03-11-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth3199 View Post

I think I'm going to open a taboo can of worms here! I'm a mom of three wonderful girls 10, 14 anfd 15, and I absolutely hate bras and haven't worn one in a long time. I never hid that fact from my girls either, and told them that bras are unnecessary and often unhealthy. I also told them that they are free to own them and wear them as much as they like, or not at all. I taught them that ther isn't anything at all wrong or dirty about breasts OR nipples- we all have them, and never feel that they have to be hidden. I see so may posts here from women that have discovered being bra free, and certainloy a great many of us have daughters. Why in the world don't we be honest with them and let them make their own decisions about bras? Hardly any teen needs one, and if other comment or are rude, that's the other person's problem. Stand tall and proud! We really have nothing to hide... why not be ourselves? If our girls would like one, then provide one or a few, but never make them wear them.  If we hate them, why do we think our girls wouldn't? I would love to hear from other likeminded moms. 

clap.gif I plan to tell my daughters the same if I have them. I will not prevent them from having bras if they want them, and I might even offer to buy them when I see they are getting breasts, but I will also be clear that they are not necessary and very likely unhealthy.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#155 of 178 Old 03-11-2011, 01:23 PM

I remember there being another thread but can't find it. I'll join! I've been bra free about 10 months. I just couldn't find a comfortable nursing bra big enough so I just layer a tank with another shirt while I'm out. I actually just altered some tanks so I have some material between the underside of my breasts and torso. I cut them and added soft elastic so there is no pressure but they stay in place. I guess you could say they are like a really comfy shelf bra!

I really prefer bra free. I am trying to not care if my nipples show but it is hard when that idea of hiding them has been ingrained for so long.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#156 of 178 Old 03-11-2011, 05:00 PM

I found an old stash of cami lingerie from my honeymoon. I bought them from Banana Republic and almost wish I had the guts to post a picture. It is soooo pretty. It is very tight putting on, but once on and unraveled from the putting on, it is comfy, It actually holds in place perfectly, but way, way different than a bra feeling. I think there is something to this cami thing after all. It is soooo pretty. Silk around the edges and layers of lace and little bows on the straps

Leslie, organic semi-unschooling mama teaching my children 5 and 2.75, that love & happiness is most important. Letting their light shine, finding out they are teaching me. Love being in the moment & nature.

#157 of 178 Old 03-11-2011, 06:01 PM

Can I join the tribe as a supporter who still wears bras?

I am a 38F(DDD) and I find that not wearing a bra is more uncomfortable than wearing one (although I find bras uncomfortable.)  I need the support bras give because it helps me with my posture and keeps them from swinging all over the place and annoying me.  I can't stand it though and have dreamed of being bra free for years now.  It is just so obvious if I don't wear them, both to myself and to anyone else because of how they hang and where on my chest they hang.  Clothes fit worse without a bra since the awkward hang pulls at them funny and I already have a hard enough time fitting clothes to my big boobs!  20-30 pounds ago pre breastfeeding, my breasts were only D's and I was having the same problem although not quite as bad.  By the time I was 11, I was a C and I've dreamed of being an A or B cup ever since haha.  I need to lose at least 70 pounds and I'm really hoping that helps get my boobs smaller so they can stop hanging so funny so I can be bra free.  I dream of breast reductions currently...

#158 of 178 Old 03-12-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr View Post

I have been lurking on your thread for a month or so. I hate bras. I often get to work and close my door and take it off (I am a professor), but I find it very uncomfortable to be teaching class in no bra (well, I have never had the nerve to do it, so I don't really know if it is uncomfortable, but I am afraid to try). I look at myself in the mirror with a bra, and then without one, and I can totally tell the difference.

I would love to have some suggestions on a shelf-tank or another alternative to a bra (camis sound wonderful, but I am not really there yet). Does anybody use a shelf-bra that is not cotton - like made of microfiber, or very thin cotton (I mean, not the cheapie old navy kind that is meant to be worn with nothing over it)?

It does take about 3 months going bra free for your ligaments to strengthen again and people may not notice as much after that time period.  Do you have summers off?  Maybe you could do it then and try going bra free when your new classes start or do it during the winter when you can have multiple layers.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#159 of 178 Old 03-12-2011, 01:03 PM

Loving this thread!

I'm not exactly bra-free, but I hate the things! I take them off the moment I get home, and I've experimented with going bra-less in public when I couldn't take the discomfort anymore. I actually get back problems from wearing them. I've tried getting them properly fitted but they're still uncomfortable.

I'm a D-cup (and much bigger when BFing!) so it's hard to go without unless I want to attract sideways glances. Reading this thread has inspired me to look into getting some tanks tops with the built in sports bra. Maybe those will do the trick. smile.gif

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#160 of 178 Old 03-12-2011, 01:33 PM
rcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post

It does take about 3 months going bra free for your ligaments to strengthen again and people may not notice as much after that time period.  Do you have summers off?  Maybe you could do it then and try going bra free when your new classes start or do it during the winter when you can have multiple layers.

That's a great suggestion. I do have summers off. I stopped shampooing my hair two summers ago, and the greasy hair stage was in the summer so it was no big deal.

I picked up some shelf bra camis at target this morning to wear in the meantime.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#161 of 178 Old 03-13-2011, 12:37 PM

The other week we ended up taking about bras and bra-free-ness at a home education group I go to and one mama there said that I'd feel differenlty about bras if I had something to put in one! I'm a 34AAA so that is fair enough but I put it to her that if I thought that having breasts that looked like they 'should' was important  I'd be wearing a padded bra, not no bra. Silence followed!

Anyhow, the following week another mama in the group told me that she had thought of our conversation and left the house that morning without a bra on and she felt great! She has a much larger bust than I do and when she asked if anyone noticed anything different about her no-one guessed that she was bra free under her sweater. She now says that she is going to wear her bra less and less as she was pleased not to find deep angry lines on her body when he got undressed  that night.

So it seems I have made a convert! thumb.gif

#162 of 178 Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 AM

subbing.... I have wanted to go bra free for a long time but have never been comfortable for more than a day or so without.... excited to read through this thread!

#163 of 178 Old 04-22-2011, 04:02 PM

Here, here! I started going bra-free on my fiance's suggestion. I read that reduced air flow across your breasts may be a cause for breast cancer; and since it runs in my family..I went forth and did it on my fiance's support. It was tough at first, I was very uncomfortable. But now I love it, and while a sports bra feels really good every now and again, and very useful when I'm out and about to reduce how much I leak breastmilk, I honestly think experiencing no pain during breastfeeding is because I've been bra-free for so long. My nipples have been de-sensitized from constantly sliding across my shirts.
#164 of 178 Old 05-01-2011, 09:57 PM

I am a grandmother, age 57 and a 42 D, now a 42 DDD.  After having so many friends go through breast cancer, I began doing research to see what I could do to NOT join them.  That is when I came across the information that wearing a bra has no purpose, only a society expecting act.  I began going without at home, and loved LOVED the feel....and, my breasts got bigger, just as my research had stated!  Wearing a jacket during cold weather, I got brave and finally went bra free in public.  To my amazement, no one looks or cares!  I have tried the tank tops with the shelf, but being so large, that really didn't work....I am now looking for a sleep or leisure bra to wear when I have to wear one.  I love going without, see the health benefits, and am trying to spread the word to my generation!  Hurrah for the bra free ladies that have joined the tribe!  Please spread the word, maybe THIS is the way that breast cancer will be finally cured!!!!

#165 of 178 Old 05-02-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoSoul View Post

My nipples have been de-sensitized from constantly sliding across my shirts.

hmmmm.... maybe that's why my nipples are less sensitive than they used to be. perhaps a plus for breastfeeding, but not for adult breast use. greensad.gif

ETA: I'm not quite sure that's how I meant to phrase it, not sure it sounds quite right, but you know what I mean right?

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#166 of 178 Old 05-03-2011, 01:41 PM

IME that hasn't been the case. My nipples haven't been a problem when breastfeeding any of my four children but I think that breastfeeding has made my nipples more sensitive in a more personal way,

#167 of 178 Old 05-11-2011, 05:12 PM

I'm about 38-40DD right now, and have been mostly bra free from the get go. They always annoyed me. I didn't get my first one till my best friend's mom took me to get one because she wasn't comfortable with her son hanging around with a girl that didn't wear a bra. =/ I was a C cup by then. lol I do need to wear a bra if I'm going to participate in something really active...rock climbing, running, etc. They cause pain and get in the way do to their size, otherwise...and I'll wear one on the rare occasion I need to dress to impress. I guess I consider them either sports gear or formal attire. =D

As for the nipples, mine are incredibly sensitive. Nothing has made any noticeable impact on them. I've nursed 2 babies, and gone through bra-dependent phases through the years, but my nipples are still the same. I don't find bras to protect them from anything more than a t-shirt does though.

I did buy my daughter a training bra. She's got nothing to support, but is having nipple sensitivity sometimes now that she's easing into puberty. The thick sports bra type things are really uncomfortable on her, but the thin training bras are perfect for her right now. She only seems to wear them for a few days per month. She hasn't started her period yet, but I imagine the timing will match up when she does.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#168 of 178 Old 05-11-2011, 11:22 PM

I don't really find that a bra helps at ALL for active stuff, but what I like is a leotard (then again, I grew up in them, so they're super comfy to me). Wishing I had money for a nice non-underwire comfy bra for those few times I really want it, but I think if it mattered enough, I could probably find the money, and it's just not a priority for me.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#169 of 178 Old 05-12-2011, 04:10 AM

oh ya, a leotard is really uncomfortable and confining for me. I don't even like regular women's swim suits! lol (Dd and I both wear board shorts and rash guards to swim. SOoooo much more comfy than regular swim suits!) I don't do underwires either though. I use sports bras for active things, and have one regular bra I removed the underwire from for "formal" wear. =D

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#170 of 178 Old 06-01-2011, 06:31 PM

I despise bras! I've never had one fit correctly (I have a very broad ribcage and slope-y shoulders, plus two different cup sizes) and since my first pregnancy (15 years ago) the constriction hurts. I stopped wearing a bra when I figured out that it was causing thrush. Got rid of the bras, voila, no more problems. For a while I wore bra-shelf camis, but the elastic makes my skin itch so I finally gave up on that and now just wear tanks under loose shirts.

#171 of 178 Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 PM

Hey, I used to go bra free but haven't been able to pull it off lately... I'm nursing my baby and have major leakage like all the time. He is nine months old and I have to wear lots of pressure and wool pads to keep from leaking through my clothes. I don't know how to have pressure there aside from wearing a bra as any cami that is tight enough just isn't comfortable. Any suggestions?

be good family...

#172 of 178 Old 06-01-2011, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

Hey, I used to go bra free but haven't been able to pull it off lately... I'm nursing my baby and have major leakage like all the time. He is nine months old and I have to wear lots of pressure and wool pads to keep from leaking through my clothes. I don't know how to have pressure there aside from wearing a bra as any cami that is tight enough just isn't comfortable. Any suggestions?

Lily Padz! They're silicone cups that are tacky on one side and they stick right onto your breast. They put just enough pressure to keep you from leaking. Trust me, they rock. I'm using them right now myself.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#173 of 178 Old 06-02-2011, 02:17 PM

do they come in natural tree rubber or only silicone?

be good family...

#174 of 178 Old 06-08-2011, 12:40 PM

Just wanted to share here. I bought some light sports bras- think soft elastic, one layer of material. Apparently I didn't get them loose enough. I wore it for about an hour before my chest started to hurt and I was having a hard time breathing. I took it off and within 20 minutes my breathing was fine and my chest didn't hurt anymore! Guess if I try those again I should go up about 2 or 3 sizes!

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#175 of 178 Old 07-15-2012, 05:19 PM

For the breastfeeding person that was complaining about leaking, there is a way to prevent that i learnt from my friend. As soon as you feel that milk is coming down and you will leak, press on your nipples  until the feeling is over. I am breastfeeding my youngest now (1 mth old) and haven`t worn any nursing pads so far. Sometimes I feel the milk coming when i am in public so I cross my arms and put pressure on the nipples (less obvious than pressing on them with index finger. It takes less than half a minute i think and  it prevents leaking.

#176 of 178 Old 07-15-2012, 07:02 PM

This thread is really interesting! I didn't read it all cause it's really long, but wondered if there are other ladies on this tribe that are large breasted.

I'm a 38DD, and I can't picture not wearing a bra during my day job (I'm an admin assistant at a hospital), but I try to be bra free whenever I'm home.

Any other large breasted ladies out there that are totally bra free? Any tips for making it work for you? I love beig bra free, I'd love to make it work for me all the time!

Just me and DS.
#177 of 178 Old 08-04-2012, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm a 42H who works from home, and I love going bra-free around the house. Now that I've learned about the cancer link, I'm going to go bra-free all the time at home and try to work up my courage to going bra-free out in public, too.

I'm also going to share this informationn with my daughters. My 12yo began menstruating seven months ago and her breasts are growing. She had a couple of bras that she wore occasionally several months ago, but she has outgrown them and hasn't said anything about getting new ones. I'm going to encourage her to just go bra-free for as long as she feels comfortable doing so, and if she does at some point feel a need to wear one out in public, to get in the habit of pulling it off the minute she walks in the door.

I actually hope that both of them will spend their lives bra-free.

I'm so glad I saw this thread and learned how our bras are killing us!

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#178 of 178 Old 09-08-2012, 07:49 PM

I have been going bra-free for about a year now, and I love it!  I don't even know what size I am anymore (in the last year I've gained about 40 much-needed pounds--not all fat, but the fat I did gain seems to have gone to my butt and boobs LOL) but I used to be a 36C-34D.  So maybe a 36D now? 

But, I love not wearing a bra!!!  SO much more comfortable--I've always HATED bras!--and my breasts actually are shaped better and are more perky now than they were when I did wear a bra.  I think I read somewhere that when you wear a bra, the ligaments that hold up your breast tissue aren't really getting used much so they tend to atrophy, which will make your breasts look more saggy when they don't have a bra to hold them up.  When you don't wear a bra, they actually have something to hold up, so they stay more strong.  Also, I'm guessing better blood and lymph circulation has a part in that too.  Plus, the health benefits!

At work, I wear a tank top/camisole under my scrubs (I'm a nurse), but otherwise I typically just wear whatever--shirts, tank tops etc with nothing underneath.  If something is really loose, or just doesn't look right, I'll wear a thin tank top underneath.  But typically I don't worry too much, even when you can tell I'm not wearing a bra.  I mean, really!  Since when were breasts expected to be these smooth, nipple-less things??  That don't move?? haha!  ;-)

It took me a little while to feel totally comfortable going around in public bra-less, but now I'm completely used to it.  I'm sure people stare sometimes...especially in a small city in the midwest!!...but it doesn't really make me uncomfortable anymore.  I just hope that someone who notices might be inspired to try going bra-free themselves! :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page