Not Mamas Yet Tribe Winter/Spring 2010 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 254 Old 06-08-2010, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#242 of 254 Old 06-09-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliemae View Post
I probably should start a multi and a prenatal. I just have trouble because I don't want to choose the "wrong" brand . Right now I am taking more pills for detox affects then supplements. I take psyllium husks and activated charcoal for a colon cleanse, and I am just finishing up a parasite cleanse with black walnut hall tenure, red cloves, and worm wood. They are the first cleanses of any kind I've done and it's been interesting. I know I'm not getting the best results for my efforts because I haven't changed my eating habits as much as is recommended.
The Prenatal version of Rainbow light is pretty highly regarded on these boards, but I didn't know that until last week. I was taking the Trader Joe's brand of women's vitamins, and started looking around on LuckyVitamin.com for something similar. Turns out, Rainbow Light makes it I think it was $12 for a 90 day supply at Trader Joe's, and even cheaper if you buy it at lucky vitamin. I bought it in 150-pill jars. The prenatal, alas, is more expensive.

Quote:
it's great to be chatting with well educated/researched like-minded ladies again!
Agreed! I think I wandered away last time because it was preventing me from pushing the babymaking desires out of my head. It was so far away at that time that I had to push it away to keep my sanity. It was really hard for me seeing much younger women able to take that step...not that I wasn't happy for them, but I was sad for myself. Now it's closer, and I feel justified in letting it take over my life again! I love that we're all unique and committed to doing what it takes to make/raise a healthy kid. My child-free friends are awesome (not the jerky type) but they don't get it. My non-child-free friends, well, most of them already have a kid.

Mom to Thora, born at home 9/28/2011. Currently in Madison, WI, but gearing up for a move to Providence, RI in August! I'd love to meet some folks.
#243 of 254 Old 06-09-2010, 01:27 AM

BFing is insanely important to me too! I'll do everything short of animal sacrifice to make sure I make it two years, and hope to make it at least three. I actually haven't thought of what I'd do if I couldn't for some reason...hopefully one of my sisters would be lactating and would pump 1/2 supply for me so that bub wouldn't get all formula. I just have a weird hangup about donor milk from non-relatives, which is ironic since I hope to donate through milkshare when the day comes that I'm nursing. Plus, as a vegetarian it would hardcore creep me out to have my kid get milk from an omni-mama. Realistically though, I'm not worried. My grandma didn't nurse at all but gushed milk all day, every day for six weeks. My mom got those shots to dry her milk up (dumb ancient military doctors told her there was no point in BFing ) and STILL got a lot of milk in. Family history looks good, and I have normal breasts and everything. Oh, and my gyno told me I had a great, perfect uterus. Haha.

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#244 of 254 Old 06-09-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseau View Post
I'm almost even determined enough not to feed my kids formula that I'd pay crazy amounts of money for donor milk if I had to. Besides the health benefits, I'm just totally grossed out by formula smell, formula puke and formula poo.
Well, I'll certainly donate some if I can. I just read the wiki on milk banks. I had no idea it was so widespread, but I'm glad. I have a friend who can't bf her baby because of a medication she can't stop taking...I wonder if she ever looked into donor milk.

Quote:
The mom who writes one of the blogs I read is my hero because she bfed through a horrible breast infection, abcess, surgery and a months long recovery with a gaping wound close enough to her nipple that it got reopened nearly every time she fed her daughter. I figure that if she can breastfeed through all that, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to resort to any and all means possible to breastfeed my babies.
Dang. What would happen if you just stopped feeding on one side? Would it affect milk production overall, or would just that one breast stop producing?
That is inspiring though. I heard that my cousin was going to breastfeed "if she could", and bought her a copy of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding for her shower. I was hoping it would make her more committed. I think she partially bf'd for a few weeks before switching over to formula. *sigh*

Mom to Thora, born at home 9/28/2011. Currently in Madison, WI, but gearing up for a move to Providence, RI in August! I'd love to meet some folks.
#245 of 254 Old 06-09-2010, 10:53 PM

I think you ladies will appreciate this...

I downloaded a book for my Kindle a few days ago called "The Prospective Mother". As it turns out, it's a nearly 100-year-old pregnancy manual. I only read the first chapter, but it was amusing to read that the surest way to know you are pregnant is to feel the baby kick.

Oh, how far we've come to be able to pee on a stick...

#246 of 254 Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlyGrnMigt View Post

I downloaded a book for my Kindle a few days ago called "The Prospective Mother". As it turns out, it's a nearly 100-year-old pregnancy manual. I only read the first chapter, but it was amusing to read that the surest way to know you are pregnant is to feel the baby kick.

That sounds awesome! Do you know if it's available in a non-Kindle version for those of us lacking e-readers? I have a pregnancy/parenting book from the 50's and another one that was given to my mother in 1983 when she was pregnant with me. I also have an obstetrics text book from 1950 that's totally awesome, albeit gory and scary. It's amazing to see how things have changed....and not changed...

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#247 of 254 Old 06-10-2010, 09:10 PM

http://books.google.com.hk/books?id=...page&q&f=false

That's the google books link (via Hong Kong), and the project gutenburg link to download is: www.gutenberg.org/etext/7129

You can download a program free from amazon to read e-books. They have Kindle for Windows, Kindle for Mac, Kindle for iPhone, Blackberry, etc. I'm pretty sure they also support the non-kindle filetypes, since the Kindle itself does.

You MIGHT be able to find it in a university library somewhere, but my guess is that not too many copies are preserved.

I'd be interested in taking a look at the ones you have too. It's like, 100 years ago, 60 years ago, 30 years ago...

#248 of 254 Old 06-10-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:

You MIGHT be able to find it in a university library somewhere, but my guess is that not too many copies are preserved.
And I'm immediately proving myself wrong: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/111...NF2QEA78TZV8AQ

Of course, a free program plus a free download might be better if you don't plan to curl up with it, but you do have both options. The free version is also on amazon if you search.

#249 of 254 Old 06-11-2010, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

I actually just googled it right after I posted that message and found it on google books, so I'm just reading it online. I made it through the first chapter and then just skimmed the rest quickly before bed last night. Very interesting! I can't wait to read the rest this weekend. I need to get the 50's parenting book back from my friend, but when I do, I might scan some of the pics to share. It had a lot of really funny and/or disturbing photos. It also had one really beautiful photo of a nursing mother.

#250 of 254 Old 06-11-2010, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a link to a thread about a later version of one of the books I have. My edition is 1953 I think and is slightly different, but pretty much the same as the edition described there: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=463305

I'm seeing my friend this weekend and I'll get my book back from her and scan some of the pics.

#251 of 254 Old 06-12-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:

That's awesome! I just found a hippie manual called "The Home Health Handbook", self-published in 1971 Vermont. I got it at a thrift store for $.25, and I was so excited when I saw it had three whole sections on childbirth in addition to all the down-home earthy advice with chapter titles like "Sanitation for Small Rural Groups" and "Safe Canning (And Freezing)" and "The Commune Medic's Guide". This stuff just tickles me pink, I can't wait to get to the point in my life where I can start my own little homestead.

photosmile2.gifcavale treehugger.gif*wannabe radical doula*
*plotting with sammodifiedartist.gif until we have our own little ones*
planning to TTC in May '11 (just in time for my birthday!)
#252 of 254 Old 06-13-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseau View Post
Here's a link to a thread about a later version of one of the books I have. My edition is 1953 I think and is slightly different, but pretty much the same as the edition described there: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=463305

I'm seeing my friend this weekend and I'll get my book back from her and scan some of the pics.
That sounds cool. I'd definitely like to see some of the pics. I was also thinking that I could start the new thread if you want. I've never done it before, but I can't imagine it's too hard. No reason the "burden" should be all on you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbledumpster View Post
That's awesome! I just found a hippie manual called "The Home Health Handbook", self-published in 1971 Vermont. I got it at a thrift store for $.25, and I was so excited when I saw it had three whole sections on childbirth in addition to all the down-home earthy advice with chapter titles like "Sanitation for Small Rural Groups" and "Safe Canning (And Freezing)" and "The Commune Medic's Guide". This stuff just tickles me pink, I can't wait to get to the point in my life where I can start my own little homestead.
That sounds pretty cool, especially for a quarter! Be careful with the canning/freezing advice. That sort of stuff gets updated frequently and it's best to see if your County Extension office has a publication out (usually cheap or free) or buy a more recent book. I do not want you to have botulism in your beans

#253 of 254 Old 06-13-2010, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

I did it!! Summer/Fall thread!! Come on over!!!

#254 of 254 Old 06-13-2010, 08:20 PM

Oops! I'll cross-post this to the new thread.

Quote:

I decided to record this book (it's in the public domain) for the good people over at Librivox. If you're not familiar with them, they use volunteer, amateur readers (anyone who wants to) to create free audio books of books in the public domain.

I've only recorded the preface, introduction, and first chapter so far, but you can listen to it as an audio book if you can handle my unprofessional sound set-up (there's some computer hiss on parts of the tracks). http://librivox.org/newcatalog/publi...ProjectID=4410

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page