Military Moms: May - June - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 517 Old 05-19-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have a great trip, Angie!

MW - If he stays AD, what will happen to him is totally up in the air. He'll most likely stay here until a slot opens up where he wants to go and he'll be deploying earlier than he would if he goes back to NY. That's why I think we're leaning toward going to NY because we at least have a plan, I know we're going to reach a point where we can start from scratch and decide where we want to go from there. We're going to spend next spring/summer visiting and doing research. There are several really good, high demand communities to live in so the ideal situation would be to buy a decent house, do some work to it, and then sell it when we go to Arizona.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#302 of 517 Old 05-19-2010, 06:15 PM

Welcome! There's a new thread for May and June.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1220503

We're at Lewis, too. You said you live in the country, are you in Yelm/Roy? We lived in Yelm the last time we were here, but now we're in Dupont.
#303 of 517 Old 05-20-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
I wanted to see if I could draw on some of the Tricare wisdom here--I'm starting to see a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in DD and would like to get her an OT evaluation. My understanding is that I need a prescription (referral?) from her doc to get one. Since she sees a DO rather than a pedi, would she have to see a pedi first? Anyone know if Tricare Prime would even cover this? I'm afraid to even call because everytime I do I feel like I get a different answer.
some of the best advice you can get is from the OT clinic itself. figure out how to call or go into the OT office and ask them who and what they need to get before seeing your DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Katie~ View Post
Welcome to May and welcome all newcomers!
you got made a moderator when i wasn't looking!!?? Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
On a cool note, I think we're going to try geo caching when Sean gets home.
DH has taken up Geocaching and i go along very often, it is wonderful and fun. i love the ones that are tricky puzzles, i'm really good at strange puzzles, so he always brings those to me.

Quote:
It sounds like a lot of fun. We have a little disagreement about what to do, though. My husband thinks we're supposed to find something and switch it for something else we leave. I thought we were just supposed to find things, not take them, but we can leave our own caches if we want.
as for the taking and leaving, you never take the cache itself, but many caches have trinkets and toys and very cool travel-bugs in them, those are for you to take one and leave one. Read up on the travel bugs, they sometimes have goals and are fun to move around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattygirl99 View Post
Can I thread crash even though I don't belong here yet?
i would say you certainly belong here, i have been a gal on this thread for years and i dont have a child yet (see my update below)
as i see it, this tribe as for all partners and family of military and for military themselves as well, you are most welcome any time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul-O View Post
I'm back after a bit of an absence. I'm glad to see that all of you are doing well, and many of you have DHs at home again (Yay Katie!). As for me, I got a BFP the day after my DH went back to Iraq from his R & R, and have been pretty sick/tired from about week 4 until now (12 weeks today).

Congrats Soul-O!!!!! did we know this before now?? maybe i have just let it ooze out of my brian with all that is going on with me (see my update below)
we really need to go grab a cup of tea or something

Quote:
DH's adjustment back in the family has been spectacular. DH has completely abandoned his deployment routine and has pretty much slipped back into life as if nothing had changed.
this is so great to hear, and so glad to think of you all as a whole family again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmamajama View Post
Woah, I'm in the single digits before we say aloha to the rock!!!!
have a safe smooth move, it can be so fun and so hard all at the same time!

OK AS FOR ME!!!!!

!!!!!!! We are Preggo finally!!!!! EDD is 1/24/11 and we are just as thrilled as could possible be. You ladies will appreciate the way i told DH last night even more than most, i gave him this
www.adorkable.me

he loved it and got it right away, we have been having a wonderful time ever since. My HCG number look great (almost too good) and it all rocks!

As For DH and the Army, we have gotten orders to go to Walter Reed, did i mention that last month? orders are for Aug, but we have put in for a 30 day deferment till Sept. August is just a horrible month to move and would mean me giving up a lot of my summer and jobs that i hold very dear. We'll know in the next week if that gets approved.
I flew this last weekend to DC to drive around for a few days and get a good feel for all the neighborhoods, it is rally going to be a challenge to find a home that has what we need that we can afford, but i do at least feel better after seeing things first hand. over all i'm thrilled to be moving to a interesting big city like DC. slightly worried about having my baby in a snow storm!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#304 of 517 Old 05-20-2010, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Adorkable!

For as long as I've known you I've been hoping and waiting to see this post, that is such wonderful news! And such a sweet way to tell your DH, I bet he's over the moon! Congratulations!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#305 of 517 Old 05-20-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
OK AS FOR ME!!!!!

!!!!!!! We are Preggo finally!!!!! EDD is 1/24/11 and we are just as thrilled as could possible be. You ladies will appreciate the way i told DH last night even more than most, i gave him this
www.adorkable.me

he loved it and got it right away, we have been having a wonderful time ever since. My HCG number look great (almost too good) and it all rocks!

As For DH and the Army, we have gotten orders to go to Walter Reed, did i mention that last month? orders are for Aug, but we have put in for a 30 day deferment till Sept. August is just a horrible month to move and would mean me giving up a lot of my summer and jobs that i hold very dear. We'll know in the next week if that gets approved.
I flew this last weekend to DC to drive around for a few days and get a good feel for all the neighborhoods, it is rally going to be a challenge to find a home that has what we need that we can afford, but i do at least feel better after seeing things first hand. over all i'm thrilled to be moving to a interesting big city like DC. slightly worried about having my baby in a snow storm!

Are you going to try to find a place in the city or in the MD or VA suburbs? I grew up in Vienna, VA, 20 minutes from DC.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#306 of 517 Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 PM

our goal with housing is to be in reasonable walking distance (maybe <8 blocks) from a metro rail. and we need some sort of parking and a shop work space for me, we will live anywhere we can find that and afford it, me would prefer to be in the city, but the list of needs and cost will dictate.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#307 of 517 Old 05-20-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
our goal with housing is to be in reasonable walking distance (maybe <8 blocks) from a metro rail. and we need some sort of parking and a shop work space for me, we will live anywhere we can find that and afford it, me would prefer to be in the city, but the list of needs and cost will dictate.
Both the house I lived in Alexandria City and in Vienna were within walking distance to metros. That was a big thing for me, too. The metro goes a lot farther out, though. I loved Alexandria City (not Old Town, very expensive) and Arlington. Arlington is (or was) more expensive. The closer you live to any metro the more expensive the housing will be.

So, I just took a military spouse's survey. Have any of you gotten this in the mail? It was interesting but some of was a bit confusing for me to answer, like the ones about behavioral problems with children. If I don't think of my children's behavior as a problem regardless of what it is, do my answer really apply?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#308 of 517 Old 05-20-2010, 10:41 PM

Congratulations to you and your DH, Adorkable! This is the best news I've heard all week . I chose not to disclose my pregnancy until about the 12 week mark, and I'm 14 weeks today, so you didn't miss anything . I'm with the COB unit in the OB dept (complicated OB - high risk), which is not what I wanted, but I feel OK with the care I'm receiving. It's just nice to be released from the REs on the 3rd floor, kwim? PM me when you want to go to tea - I am certainly game!

MW - I was selected for the same survey, but haven't completed it yet. I like the idea of giving my opinion, but I'm thinking I'll answer similarly to you. I let you know what happens after I do the survey.

AFM - DH told me that we may have an opportunity to PCS to Germany shortly after he returns from deployment. As much as I'd like to go, I don't think that moving all 7 of us to a foreign country shortly after I give birth would be a good idea. What do you all think? Otherwise, if we don't go to Germany, it looks as though DH will go to Captain's Career Course in AZ a little sooner than expected - like possibly January. I'm cool with AZ because it is very close to my family, and considering that we'll have a new baby, I think this is the better move. So much to consider..

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#309 of 517 Old 05-20-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul-O View Post
MW - I was selected for the same survey, but haven't completed it yet. I like the idea of giving my opinion, but I'm thinking I'll answer similarly to you. I let you know what happens after I do the survey.
Another thing that bothered me about the survey was all the questions applicable to my dh's most recent deployment. I wanted to answer according to our most recent separation, which is his current 6 months in OK, but since that's not a deployment it didn't apply. I wish there were some way for me to tell someone what a hardship it is to have him deployed for 6+ months only to come home and have to leave again for another 6 months and how ridiculous it is to expect the entire family to move there for 6 months just to come back here again. What a waste of military money!

#310 of 517 Old 05-20-2010, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't received one of those surveys though I'd be interested to see the questions on it.

Speaking of babies, DH and I are having discussions on expanding the family. I think it's rare to get a nearly two year break between deployments, so it would be optimal timing for him to finally be around for one of our kid's births and the first year. But we also have to consider having to move next summer and trying to plan around that. HBing in NY is pretty volatile right now from what I've heard, so that's out. I'm worried because DD is still a really, really poor sleeper. I know I would figure out the logistics of three kids and all that, that I'm not worried about. It seems like if we don't TTC in the next two months I'm going to have a 5 year age gap between #2 and #3 because of everything going on. It's hard to find people who understand these things so I'm glad I can at least talk about it here.

#311 of 517 Old 05-21-2010, 08:09 AM

Anyone stationed near Osaka? There's a mama hoping to meet some MDCers there.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...1#post15429781
#312 of 517 Old 05-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I haven't received one of those surveys though I'd be interested to see the questions on it.
It's called the Military Family Life Project. You might be able to find info about it on the government website. I don't know. Most of the questions seemed to be about whether I wanted or needed to work, how easy or difficult it was to find work and why. Those questions don't apply to me. There were some questions about how we deal with deployments and about children's behavior in relation to that. Those questions were a bit odd to me because I don't consider any change in behavior during or right after a deployment as problematic. It's to be expected. There were also some questions about what resources would be most helpful during a deployment. The big ones are childcare and better/easier contact with the deployed spouse. It really bothers me that the military only offers childcare as a relief for parents while their spouses are deployed. I wrote that home cleaning, care and repairs services would be more helpful to me than any of the other stuff.

Aargh! I keep forgetting to add a little brag about my dh. It's a sad story but I'm very touched by how my dh has responded. One of the couples at the school with him lost a baby at 7 months pregnant due to a defective umbilical cord. This just happened this week. They also have a 2 year old and the mom is recovering from surgery. My dh called to let me know he'd be going over his budget a little this month because he was going to make some meals for the family. My dh is the best!

#313 of 517 Old 05-21-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Speaking of babies, DH and I are having discussions on expanding the family. I think it's rare to get a nearly two year break between deployments, so it would be optimal timing for him to finally be around for one of our kid's births and the first year. But we also have to consider having to move next summer and trying to plan around that. HBing in NY is pretty volatile right now from what I've heard, so that's out. I'm worried because DD is still a really, really poor sleeper. I know I would figure out the logistics of three kids and all that, that I'm not worried about. It seems like if we don't TTC in the next two months I'm going to have a 5 year age gap between #2 and #3 because of everything going on. It's hard to find people who understand these things so I'm glad I can at least talk about it here.
I totally hear where you're coming from on this one! That was kinda the same place we're in. Except TTC hasn't turned out to be as quick and easy this time around. Now I'm worried that if we do get pregnant this summer, we'll end up having to move before we have the baby, or right after, which is not what we initially wanted to have happen. Because we still don't have orders for where or when we're going. There's a decent chance we'll go to HI, and I really really would rather have another baby here, where we're at least sorta close to family, and friends, and a doula I want to work with... *sigh*

So, ds has NOT been dealing well with dh being gone. He's become so defiant and difficult. Everything is a huge drama, which is not like him at all. Usually he's very easy going and happy. This week has been really rough and I am just exhausted. We're almost done with week 2 of 6. I don't know how to help him cope with what he's feeling, or help him express himself. He's not especially verbal (just 21 months). He asks about 'dah' and I've been telling him that dah went byebye, he's on a trip. But I am pretty sure he has no concept of what that actually means. We've been trying to do fun stuff to help pass the time.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#314 of 517 Old 05-21-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagin37 View Post
So, ds has NOT been dealing well with dh being gone. He's become so defiant and difficult. Everything is a huge drama, which is not like him at all. Usually he's very easy going and happy. This week has been really rough and I am just exhausted. We're almost done with week 2 of 6. I don't know how to help him cope with what he's feeling, or help him express himself. He's not especially verbal (just 21 months). He asks about 'dah' and I've been telling him that dah went byebye, he's on a trip. But I am pretty sure he has no concept of what that actually means. We've been trying to do fun stuff to help pass the time.
Is he able to talk to Daddy on the phone at all? A webcam would be even better. Talking about Daddy and that he will be home again is good even if you don't think your ds is responding or responding well to it. We always have a 2 week period right after dh leaves and right after he comes home when everything is crazy. I just let it all go, don't put any expectations of any kind on the kids and just try to give them extra love and attention.

#315 of 517 Old 05-21-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Is he able to talk to Daddy on the phone at all? A webcam would be even better. Talking about Daddy and that he will be home again is good even if you don't think your ds is responding or responding well to it. We always have a 2 week period right after dh leaves and right after he comes home when everything is crazy. I just let it all go, don't put any expectations of any kind on the kids and just try to give them extra love and attention.
He has talked on the phone a couple of times, the first time was a disaster, but the second time went much better. I think we'll do that again tonight. I wish we could do webcams, but he doesn't have reliable internet, and neither of us have webcams.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#316 of 517 Old 05-21-2010, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

It is tough at first but it does get better. Everybody has to get into a new routine and that can take some time. It's hard for them because they know something is different but they don't know how to communicate what's wrong. It's just something they have to work through I think. If you have pictures you can show him pictures of him and dad together and remind him that dad will be home soon. I hope it gets easier for you both soon

TTC can be so difficult. I feel like I'm mourning the next few years because when I'd like to have a baby just isn't feasible. DH is leaning on the side of waiting until he's done his next deployment, but then we're looking at moving to Arizona and then possibly another duty station or going elsewhere for a civilian job and it's just so much chaos around trying to have a baby that I don't even want to think about it. On top of that I've been feeling lousy because I got three faint positives last week after being five days late and then started bright red bleeding I'm not even sure how I could have even gotten pregnant since we were using condoms, but I'm sad because I was starting to get excited none-the-less.

My youngest will be around age 5 by the time we can even settle down somewhere to have another baby most likely. On the other hand we can take the next two months to try, but then we'd be house hunting a few months after having a baby and he'd be deploying while we had a one year old, almost three year old, and almost 5 year old. Either way it's not optimal, I really just don't know what to do.

#317 of 517 Old 05-25-2010, 04:16 PM

Hey, ladies! Hope everyone is enjoying the Spring weather. I'm back here with more questions for anyone who can help. We're moving to Ft.Sill at the end of June and will be there until at least the end of November. When Phil finishes BOLC we'll PCS to Ft. Drum. I'm kind of freaking out about the whole thing. I am not pregnant, but would like to start TTC in the next year or so. We've got a 2 and a half year old and I'm hoping to get a break after he self weans (maybe in the near future?) before getting pregnant again. The problem is this: I have found a group of home birth midwives out in OKC that will drive out to Ft. Sill for births, but I'm pretty sure we're not even going to be there long enough for me to get pregnant and carry a baby to term. I don't even really want to start trying for a while anyway. But, I can't find any midwives close enough to Fort Drum if we get pregnant out there! The closest ones are 2 and a half hours away! I think I'll email them, too, and see if they have any ideas.

Has anyone had a home birth at Fort Drum? I'd be willing to pay out of pocket. I just had such an amazing birth center birth with Maddox, that I can't imagine a hospital birth now.
#318 of 517 Old 05-25-2010, 04:30 PM

Ignore this post. I some how made 2 of the same and can't figure out how to remove it. Der....
#319 of 517 Old 05-25-2010, 04:32 PM

Katie: "HBing in NY is pretty volatile right now from what I've heard, so that's out. "

There are a few home birth midwives in Ithica from what I've been able to find. I think that's about an hour from Syracuse, so maybe they'd travel to you.

From what I understand, you can still birth at home in New York. The problem is in New York City, because midwives need backing from a hospital and a major hospital (that was backing many midwives) closed
#320 of 517 Old 05-25-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsBabyMama View Post
Katie: "HBing in NY is pretty volatile right now from what I've heard, so that's out. "
How is it volatile and why would that mean it's not an option? As far as I know, it's not illegal in any state to birth at home. There are states where it's illegal for certain types of midwives or midwives who don't have doctor back up to attend home births but that's not the same as home birth being illegal. I had to explain that to a CPS agent here in NC when I was reported to them by my OB for having a home birth. Someone at the OB's office told the CPS agent that what I had done was illegal, which is not true.

In NC, any licensed medical professional can attend a home birth. That means a MD, CNM or NP but not a CPM or lay midwife. There's also always the option of an unassisted birth. I don't know if I could do that but I think I might if that was my only choice besides a hospital birth.

All this baby talk has got me thinking I should start preparing myself for when dh gets home in a month and a half. I'd have to start taking all kinds of supplements. Bleh! He doesn't want to TTC, anyway. We're supposed to be avoiding (although he has gotten me pg twice since we started that ).

I don't think there's ever an ideal time to TTC or have a baby in the military. Anything can happen at any moment to change even the best laid plans. For me, since we've had fertility issues, I'd TTC, or at least stop preventing/avoiding, whenever my dh was home.

When we decided to TTC #3, we had first decided to wait until ds2 was 2yo. DH ended up having to deploy again just before ds2 would've turned 2 so we started TTC right after he got home from the previous deployment, when ds2 was 15 months. It took us almost a year and a half before I got pg. DS2 was 2 years and 8 months old by then. It seemed to be a perfect time because dh's new unit was still deployed when he checked and wouldn't deploy again until after I was due. Unfortunately, he got picked for an IA since he had then become the guy in his unit who had been home the longest (even though he'd only been home from deployment with his old unit for about 3 months). He left that January for a year. I was about 3 months pg when he left and ds3 was 7 months old when he returned.

#321 of 517 Old 05-25-2010, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsBabyMama View Post

There are a few home birth midwives in Ithica from what I've been able to find. I think that's about an hour from Syracuse, so maybe they'd travel to you.

From what I understand, you can still birth at home in New York. The problem is in New York City, because midwives need backing from a hospital and a major hospital (that was backing many midwives) closed
This is good to know! I have a friend who is training to be a midwife in NY and she said a lot of doctors are opting out of being backup for homebirth midwives, so they're either having to abandon homebirths or go underground. I figured that would make it more challenging for me to find a midwife.

MW - I don't know how I feel about intentional UC for the next baby, I think I'm more of a go with the flow kind of person and will decide at the time whether I want anyone there. I know that I don't want to have another baby during a deployment, so giving birth in NY is out anyway because of the timing. So really the timing of a pregnancy/birth has to happen between now and when we start house hunting and have to travel a lot, otherwise it's going to be too hectic. That means TTC in the next two months to fit into that window.

DH is having mixed feelings about TTC, I think he thinks it'll be really difficult with 3 under 4. I have mixed feelings too, but I really don't want a huge age gap between kids. He talked to his chaplain about it who brought some of his own perspective since he has two preteens and two toddlers, and said that there are challenges no matter what the age difference. So we'll see I guess, at least now I think he sees my side. I know he'll go along with it but I want him totally on board first.

MW - When you bought your house, did you do the VA loan? I'm thinking we could go through USAA for it and trying to learn more about it.

#322 of 517 Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
DH is having mixed feelings about TTC, I think he thinks it'll be really difficult with 3 under 4. I have mixed feelings too, but I really don't want a huge age gap between kids. He talked to his chaplain about it who brought some of his own perspective since he has two preteens and two toddlers, and said that there are challenges no matter what the age difference. So we'll see I guess, at least now I think he sees my side. I know he'll go along with it but I want him totally on board first.
Having experienced having a 13yo and a baby and then an older teen, a 3-4yo and a baby, I agree with the Chaplain. There are challenges no matter the age difference. As much as I would love to have another baby (one more chance for a girl not to mention that I love being pg and the idea of having another home birth), I'm at the point now where I'm thinking one more would be too much for me. I've had such a hard time taking care of my 2 LOs, aged 5-6yo and 2-3yo, by myself this past year. If I could count on my dh being home most of the time, I might feel differently. The idea of me being a single parent to a 7yo, 4yo and a baby is too much. For me, it would probably be even harder if they were closer in age. YMMV, of course.

Quote:
MW - When you bought your house, did you do the VA loan? I'm thinking we could go through USAA for it and trying to learn more about it.
I think we did do a VA loan because we didn't have to put any money down. We got our mortgage through Navy Fed Credit Union. I wouldn't recommend them because they have raised our payment $100 a month every year, supposedly for taxes and insurance (not PMI). You can only do a VA loan once, I think, so if you have the money to put down, that might be a better idea.

#323 of 517 Old 05-25-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I think we did do a VA loan because we didn't have to put any money down. We got our mortgage through Navy Fed Credit Union. I wouldn't recommend them because they have raised our payment $100 a month every year, supposedly for taxes and insurance (not PMI). You can only do a VA loan once, I think, so if you have the money to put down, that might be a better idea.
We did a VA loan. I think you can do a VA w/most lenders, so do shop around for the best rate. They usually have different rates for VA vs non VA loans as well.

You can get a VA loan more than once, but you can only have one at a time. From http://www.homeloans.va.gov/faqelig.htm: "Yes, your eligibility is reusable depending on the circumstances. Normally, if you have paid off your prior VA loan and disposed of the property, you can have your used eligibility restored for additional use. Also, on a one-time only basis, you may have your eligibility restored if your prior VA loan has been paid in full but you still own the property. In either case, to obtain restoration of eligibility, the veteran must send a completed VA Form 26-1880 to our Winston-Salem Eligibility Center. To prevent delays in processing, it is also advisable to include evidence that the prior loan has been paid in full and, if applicable, the property disposed of. This evidence can be in the form of a paid-in-full statement from the former lender, or a copy of the HUD-1 settlement statement completed in connection with a sale of the property or refinance of the prior loan."

Our loan payments also increase annually b/c of higher taxes & insurance. That will happen with any lender. I *think* there are some circumstances where you may be "allowed" to pay your taxes and insurance directly and not to the lender's escrow, but I'm pretty sure they would require a high down payment for that and you'd have to budget for those inevitable tax & insurance increases & be able to pay those bills lump sum once a year.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#324 of 517 Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the info on being able to get more than one VA loan. I didn't realize that.

With our mortgage on the house we owned in VA, our payment didn't go up every year. I wish I could pay taxes and insurance on my own. It seems unfair that almost everyone is forced to have an escrow account so the mortgage company can make money off of our money but we can't. I understand why they do that. They have to protect their investment but it seems there should be more than one way to prove that we'd take care of it ourselves.

#325 of 517 Old 05-25-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I wish I could pay taxes and insurance on my own. It seems unfair that almost everyone is forced to have an escrow account so the mortgage company can make money off of our money but we can't.
Yes. It stinks!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#326 of 517 Old 05-26-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info on being able to get more than one VA loan. I didn't realize that.

With our mortgage on the house we owned in VA, our payment didn't go up every year. I wish I could pay taxes and insurance on my own. It seems unfair that almost everyone is forced to have an escrow account so the mortgage company can make money off of our money but we can't. I understand why they do that. They have to protect their investment but it seems there should be more than one way to prove that we'd take care of it ourselves.
You should have the option not to pay into a escrow acct for insurance and taxes. Chances are, if your loan amount went up, it was because of taxes and insurance. There aren't any other variables in a loan (depending on your type of loan). You can actually look at old statements and see what was fluctuating.

We currently have two VA loans. We used DH's certificate for one and mine for the second, but we're both on each loan.

I wou
D definitely shop around for rates. Many lenders do VA.
#327 of 517 Old 05-26-2010, 11:19 AM

I know that's the reason Navy Fed gives for raising our mortgage payment, taxes and/or insurance, depending on the year. We have a fixed rate, no balloon payment, loan. Well, technically, they say the escrow account went below their acceptable minimum balance the year before. I'm saying I'm not convinced it's necessary. There has never been a time that we've been asked to send extra money because they didn't have enough to pay either. I think the escrow is a scam, for the most part.

I'd refinance with another company except for two things. First, I'm worried that we wouldn't be able to get a new loan for as much as our old loan since we bought this house right before the bubble burst. Second, my dh hasn't been home and I don't feel like hassling with trying to get special POAs. Maybe this summer when he's home we'll look over it again. But then there's a 3rd reason. Since we'll probably only be in the house for another 3 years, refinancing may not be the best thing. We'd lose what little equity we have and wouldn't have much time to build up any more.

#328 of 517 Old 05-26-2010, 02:22 PM

My Dh made it through MEPs! Now we just need to find DD's birth certificate so we can get the dependency waiver in. Who loses their child's birth certificate?
In the meantime, my DH has to fill out this paperwork asking for information on not just his family, but mine as well, along with past addresses with references for the last 10 years, and his job history for the last 10 years. Does anyone know if this is typical for every recruit, or is this for the MOS he hopes to get? He hasn't even sworn in yet, because of the dependency waiver, and he needs to pass the DLAB and Airborne physical to be guaranteed the job he wants.
#329 of 517 Old 05-26-2010, 02:22 PM

By the way, that is useful information about the VA Loans!
#330 of 517 Old 05-26-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madis81 View Post
my DH has to fill out this paperwork asking for information on not just his family, but mine as well, along with past addresses with references for the last 10 years, and his job history for the last 10 years. [I]Does anyone know if this is typical for every recruit, or is this for the MOS he hopes to get?

This is all completely normal standard stuff. The military will search relatives to make sure neither one of you have relatives who are involved with terrorist groups/anti-american things... you know, they want to know it all

Also, this paperwork is used for a security clearance. So make sure you guys are completely honest and fill it out accurately.

It is a pain in the butt... but after this part, there really isn't too much paperwork for a while Good luck!

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page