Military Moms: May - June - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#511 of 517 Old 07-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Was that the IA? IAs are usually at least 12 months. My dh had to do an IA and it was about 12-14 months total. His first deployment was supposed to be 6 months but ended up being 10. Then he had a 6-7 month deployment. (I always add an extra few weeks onto the beginning and end to account for travel, which isn't always considered part of the deployment.) Then he had his IA. He was CONUS for about 15 months but not home for much of that time as he was doing workups for his next deployment. Then he deployed for another 7+ months. He's CONUS now but, again, not home since he's been in OK for 6 months.
All hes done are IAs... (I have no clue why TBH... and I think Ive bugged him asking all of these questions last night lol)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#512 of 517 Old 07-03-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
All hes done are IAs... (I have no clue why TBH... and I think Ive bugged him asking all of these questions last night lol)
That's why his deployments have been longer, then. That's normal for an IA. The regular Marine deployments, whether on a MEU or to Okinawa or to a combat zone, are supposed to be only 6 months. We all know they can be extended, though.

I think the difference between Army and Marine right now is that soldiers deploy for longer but less frequently while Marines deployments are shorter but more frequent. I believe it's supposed to be equal time deployed and home so soldiers who are deployed 12-15 months regularly are supposed to be home for at least 12-15 months before being deployed again. Since Marines are supposed to be deployed for only 6 months, they only get 6 months home before being deployable again. That, of course, isn't a hard and fast rule, either. If you're needed, you get sent.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#513 of 517 Old 07-03-2010, 08:30 PM

According to DH "how it works for Marines is 2 months dwell time in the states for every 1 month deployed"... of course they can call you back sooner, but that is their ideal. We are really hoping they let DH stick around longer than that though!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#514 of 517 Old 07-03-2010, 08:52 PM

I'll have to ask my dh about that because the last he told me was equal time.

I thought about something with the nondeployable MOSes and units. Maybe it's something like the MOS and/or unit is nondeployable but the individuals in those MOSes and units are deployable, as in they can get picked for IAs like your dh was. Either way, I think deployment at some point should be expected during war time. KWIM?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#515 of 517 Old 07-03-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I'll have to ask my dh about that because the last he told me was equal time.

I thought about something with the nondeployable MOSes and units. Maybe it's something like the MOS and/or unit is nondeployable but the individuals in those MOSes and units are deployable, as in they can get picked for IAs like your dh was. Either way, I think deployment at some point should be expected during war time. KWIM?
totally agree there... and yes, DHs unit he is with right now is nondeployable (they have no use for them in the desert as he works with amphibious assault vehicles) however he, very much, is deployable.

#516 of 517 Old 07-03-2010, 11:03 PM

: You can be in a non-deployable unit and still deploy. That is what happened to me. I came down on IA orders and deployed by myself.
#517 of 517 Old 07-03-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
: You can be in a non-deployable unit and still deploy. That is what happened to me. I came down on IA orders and deployed by myself.
Is that Army? I'm wondering because she asked specifically about the Army and I only have experience with the Marines.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page