Military Moms: May - June - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 517 Old 05-04-2010, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies, I'm Chelci. My DH is a Marine and we are stationed in Hawaii. He just got home from a deployment and is gearing up for another one at the end of the year.

afro.jpg Chelci partners.gif Anthony, parents to: kid.gif E- 11/2006,energy.gif A- 07/2008, and babyf.gifBaby #3 due Aug. 2014.

A Few Facts About Our Familynamaste.gif  intactlact.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#242 of 517 Old 05-05-2010, 09:50 AM

Can I thread crash even though I don't belong here yet?

I am mainly looking for advice and insight... From someone impartial and non-hormonal, lol.

DH is enlisting (Army) and while we were originally going to have him DEP in in November (4-6 weeks after baby #3 is born), one of the possibilities we've somewhat discussed is him going in sooner, so that he will be done with basic and schooling while the new baby is younger... And possibly get to come home for Thanksgiving or Christmas since he'll already be in school then and not just basic training (boot)... If he's in school during a major holiday like Christmas, will he get the option to come home (probably on our dime but I'll make that work out, lol)?

I'm emotional and hormonal and so I am adamant on him waiting until the birth... But I see where he's coming from... that if he goes now, he'll come back when the new baby is more like 4 months old vs the baby being almost a year old. He says 'the baby will only care about you and the boob in those months anyway'. We will be staying in our hometown while he's away (we've contemplated following him to where ever his schooling is but it's on our dime and I don't want to move the kids, only to move them again 6 months later when we get orders) and our family is here so I won't be alone. He already works 80 hours a week so it's not like he's home much... but I guess its the thought of NOT seeing him during that time that gets me.

So, do we have anyone else here that is birthing without their spouse? I have 2 midwives as well as a doula, so I will have support. I may consider hiring a 2nd doula (I know of a few who need experience for certification) for additional support. I'm HBing and my MIL will be here for the kids (and me as well, but more the kids, lol).

I guess I'm nervous. I'm nervous regardless of when because we've never been apart like this... but maybe it IS better than he already have been gone and we've already developed our 'normal' routine before that crucial PP time where I'm more likely to develop depression instead of having him leave during the time that PPD most often occurs. It will already be a sense of normal by then and not a sudden shock.

I guess I'm looking for reassurance that women do this every day, birth without their spouse. In reality, he won't have vacation time to take off very long after the birth, maybe just the day of and day after anyway so it's not like he'd be here... And he works nights, then part time days so really, I would be relying on my MIL for assitance then anyway.

Its hard to make this choice hormonal and pregnant and he's leaving the when aspect up to me. I wish he would just say 'I'm doing X because it's the best choice I can make'!

Thanks ladies for any support and reassurance you can offer.

Fe

(and sorry to thread crash!)

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#243 of 517 Old 05-05-2010, 10:15 AM

sattygirl99- My DH served in the Army for four years then got out. Due to the economy, and some really horrible circumstances, he set out to re-enlist.

I am 28 weeks pregnant with #2 and DH will be shipping out July 17th... a mere week before I am due. He will be gone for 8 months, and we will see him around Christmas, then again in May/June when he is completely done with schooling and we move to base together.

I am hormonal, I am nervous, I am scared, I am angry, I am happy, I am every emotion that there can be.

All I can say, is it is very, very important to set up a support system.

I know there is the option of them being able to come home for a 4 day leave if you contact them during labor, but my fear is that will force DH to miss something important during warrior training or AIT. So I am thinking we will not take this route, but it's definitely something I am looking into.

Honestly for you guys, how far into the process is he? I know it took DH a few months, and then look at his ship out date... another 4 months away from when he went to MEPS. So don't get defeated yet as once he goes through everything, he could get a date past your due date and be there for the birth.

Look at it this way.... there is honestly never a good time for your family to be split apart. You will never find the "right" time for that to happen... so you need to decide if you are 100% on board, or not, because if not... you are in for a long four years!

Believe in yourself, and don't be afraid to ask for the support you need!!!

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

#244 of 517 Old 05-05-2010, 10:37 AM

Thank you...

He's taking the ASVAB next week (I think he meant next Thursday and not tomorrow, lol) and I'll have all of the paperwork within the next 10 days. I'm just waiting on everything so we submit it all at once. The recruiter told me the process really wasn't that long and said he could probably leave in a month or 2 if we submitted all the medical paperwork right the first time (he has some surgeries we have to account for).

I think I'm overthinking it to much... And that's what he and I just talked about. I'm 100% on board with him doing this and it being good for him, good for our family. But then I think of my OWN personal fears... Being alone, birthing alone, etc. There is no good time and he and I have even discussed that. At least if he went in sooner vs later than we'd see for Christmas (maybe Thanksgiving?)... And the baby would be younger when he got his orders vs being so much older. He'll miss those very early months but he has a point that really, the baby doesn't want him in those times anyway...

I have a good support system with my IL's. I don't forsee being able to rely on my parents much for emotionally support, they are more self centered than I'd ever like to admit. But I have military friends locally (both Navy and Army), plus non-military friends, support groups that I'm already part of (birthing groups, LLL, breastfeeding groups, etc.). I will most likely hire another doula to add an additional support person during my birth. I was aware he could get leave during the time if I called during labor but I too would be afraid of him missing something crucial while he's home or confusing the kids. My DD is young will be only 20 months when the baby comes and won't be able to understand as well.

Thank you for your post. It makes me feel more normal. This is the best chocie we can make for our family but it's hard to imagine your best friend being taken away from you for so long, when you've never been separated like that. It's hard to pull yourself away from the hormones, especially pregnancy. But as I told him... Really, I'm just getting bigger and bigger at this point. The only thing that may change is that I may go ahead and opt for an ultrasound and and maybe find out the gender since he won't be here for birth. We need to just make a decision and stick with it and know that our marriage is strong, we are strong and our family is strong. We can survive anything, we just have to believe and have faith. Way easier said than done!

Thank you very much... This is what I needed. Other people going through this too so I'm not strange, I'm not alone...

~ Fe ~
#245 of 517 Old 05-05-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKitten21 View Post
there is honestly never a good time for your family to be split apart. You will never find the "right" time for that to happen.
That's the truth. A very important aspect of military life is learning to be flexible. Nothing is ever written in stone. You have to be ready for changes all the time. Someone may tell you that everything is going to go X, Y, Z like clockwork but there is no guarantee. And when things change, there usually isn't anything you can do about it.

I gave birth to my 3rd child halfway through my dh's year long IA deployment to Iraq. I had a homebirth with a midwife, her assistant, a doula and my mother to help with ds2, who was 3.5yo at the time. Turned out I didn't need my doula. My midwife and her assistant were enough for my labor and birth. I don't live close to my family so my mother was only able to stay for a couple of weeks. I didn't have anyone to help me after she left, which I really could've used. Shoot, I could seriously use some help now and my youngest are 6 and almost 3.

My dh was home for ds2's birth but had to leave for a few weeks after his 10 days of paternity leave. After that dh was home (if you don't count all the short trips to the "field") until ds2 was about 5 months old. Then he was gone until ds2 was 15 months old. Almost the opposite of how things worked out with ds3. He was gone from the time I was about 3 months pregnant until ds3 was 7 months old (with one 2 week visit when ds3 was 4 months). Then he was home until ds3 was 22 months. Even when he's home, though, he's not really home. He's always traveling for 2 weeks here and a month there for training. For example, right now he's not deployed but he's at a school for 6 months half the country away. For all intents and purposes for us, he might as well be deployed but the military considers him home. It's always hard when my husband is gone. I don't think I could say that any one time was better or worse than any other.

That's been our experience with the Marines. The Army may work a little differently.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#246 of 517 Old 05-05-2010, 01:12 PM

sattygirl, I wrote a nice long response when my toddler pulled the power supply from the back of my laptop! Grrr... I don't have time to rewrite the whole post, but I will tell you that I am right there with you. I'm Pregnant. DH is leaving for BCT, followed by AIT in a few months and will likely be gone when the baby is born. Right now I'm trying to focus on the positive things that the Army does have to offer and building up a support team. That seems to helps keep the pregnancy hormones and emotions in check.

We still have to tell family, and I'm sure they are going to flip out because 1. OMGosh, he's doing what?!?! and 2. He's leaving her while she's pregnant! What a terrible DH and 3. Isn't he old for joining the Army? He'll get killed! My family is far from supportive, so I'm preparing myself for their reactions as
well. I support my husband 100%, and we know what we're getting into. My DH has wanted to join for years and we've researched benefits, allowances, war zones, bases, family life in the Army, soldier life (what am I missing?).... just about everything, before we made our decision to join. I feel like I have to write a speech to deliver to them. HA!
#247 of 517 Old 05-06-2010, 07:03 PM

I'm back after a bit of an absence. I'm glad to see that all of you are doing well, and many of you have DHs at home again (Yay Katie!). As for me, I got a BFP the day after my DH went back to Iraq from his R & R, and have been pretty sick/tired from about week 4 until now (12 weeks today). As well, this is a pregnancy that follows three consecutive miscarriages, so lots of fear and anxiety etc. It's been pretty difficult to do everything my boys need when I really don't feel up to getting out of bed most of the time, but I'm starting to feel better and can see a light at the end of the tunnel. I've been doing my best to avoid the cattle call at the Madigan OB dept. and be very zen about the early part of pregnancy, but given my high risk status, I'll be in there more regularly in the coming months. Anyhow, I'm just looking forward to sunnier days, more activities for all of us, and having that 2nd tri burst of energy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

I wanted to see if I could draw on some of the Tricare wisdom here--I'm starting to see a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in DD and would like to get her an OT evaluation. My understanding is that I need a prescription (referral?) from her doc to get one. Since she sees a DO rather than a pedi, would she have to see a pedi first? Anyone know if Tricare Prime would even cover this? I'm afraid to even call because everytime I do I feel like I get a different answer.

**subbing**
If the DO is your DD's PCM, then he or she will take care of the referral. You should receive a referral authorization in the mail within 7 to 10 days of the PCM's request.

Looking forward to more updates. Take care, and Happy Mother's Day to all of you.

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#248 of 517 Old 05-06-2010, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Congratulations, Tabitha! Sending lots of healthy pregnancy and baby vibes

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#249 of 517 Old 05-07-2010, 08:45 AM

Congrats Soul-O!!!!

Things on our end are ok... just trying to prepare for DH to leave July 17th. The midwife mentioned to me yesterday that the beginning of July she could check me, and we could try to induce at home and all, but I am just scared to do that. Of course, if it would work, and allow DH to be here while I birth instead of seeing his new baby at 6 months of age, that's a plus... so who knows!!

On a completely positive note....my last day of work is a week from today... so yay for being a stay at home mom again! Forever this time!!

How are things going with you Katie? Is anyone in trouble for the stunt that was pulled over in Kuwait?

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

#250 of 517 Old 05-07-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madis81 View Post
sattygirl, I wrote a nice long response when my toddler pulled the power supply from the back of my laptop! Grrr... I don't have time to rewrite the whole post, but I will tell you that I am right there with you. I'm Pregnant. DH is leaving for BCT, followed by AIT in a few months and will likely be gone when the baby is born. Right now I'm trying to focus on the positive things that the Army does have to offer and building up a support team. That seems to helps keep the pregnancy hormones and emotions in check.

We still have to tell family, and I'm sure they are going to flip out because 1. OMGosh, he's doing what?!?! and 2. He's leaving her while she's pregnant! What a terrible DH and 3. Isn't he old for joining the Army? He'll get killed! My family is far from supportive, so I'm preparing myself for their reactions as
well. I support my husband 100%, and we know what we're getting into. My DH has wanted to join for years and we've researched benefits, allowances, war zones, bases, family life in the Army, soldier life (what am I missing?).... just about everything, before we made our decision to join. I feel like I have to write a speech to deliver to them. HA!
Oh honey, this is me completely... My IL's know and are supportive... However my husband has always been geared towards military... He says he didn't tkae 4 years of ROTC in high school for nothing! LOL. My family on the other hand, is very military negative. My dad was navy when he and my mom got married and she 'made him' get out because it wasn't 'the life she wanted for herself'. I support my husband 110%, they are going to tell me how stupid we are and how I need to be prepared to be a single mom forever (this is the same mom who told me if I homebirth, I will die and leave my kids behind, lol)... I'm not looking forward to it and am not telling my family until he's contracted and we have a date for him to leave. Good luck and I know how you feel in that regard!

~ Fe ~
#251 of 517 Old 05-07-2010, 11:30 AM

Soul-O ~ Congratulations! I guess it's true that you can always tell when the guys were home by counting back 9 months.

I'm sorry some of you will have to deal with unsupportive family. It's too bad people can't just realize things will be tough and step up to help rather than trying to make us feel bad about our decisions. I guess maybe that's the only way some people can express their concern.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#252 of 517 Old 05-07-2010, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know much in terms of who got in trouble, I'm sure we'll find out eventually. I think it became a situation of someone doing the right thing by exposing the incompetency doing on and the rest of the chain of common coming down of them and trying to cover it up. I'm really disgusted with the whole thing and kind of feeling like everything is a big lie at the moment. I realize not all units are like this, but I do have a certain level of disillusionment going on.

DH's adjustment back in the family has been spectacular. DD took a few hours to warm up to him and then was nothing but "da da". We had been showing her pictures of him and saying "da da" while he was gone and she seemed to have picked it right up. DS was mad at him for a little while but after that it was like he hasn't left, in fact he rarely gives him a moment of peace My adjustment has been a little more difficult, I didn't realize how on edge and anxious and type-A and CLEAN FREAK I've become until he came home. I'm learning how to delegate tasks to him, and it's hard learning to consult with someone again. I'm getting there though. DH has completely abandoned his deployment routine and has pretty much slipped back into life as if nothing had changed.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#253 of 517 Old 05-07-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Katie~ View Post
My adjustment has been a little more difficult, I didn't realize how on edge and anxious and type-A and CLEAN FREAK I've become until he came home. I'm learning how to delegate tasks to him, and it's hard learning to consult with someone again. I'm getting there though.
That's always difficult. It's hard when you get used to doing things your own way for so long and then, all of a sudden, there's another person there that you have to constantly consider. About 2 weeks after my dh returned from his first deployment, we were sitting at the dinner table and I asked him if I could tell him something without him getting upset. He kind of shrugged and said, cautiously, "Maybe." I told him in a lovingly way that he was really getting on my nerves. We both had a good laugh over it because we knew it was part of the transition.

#254 of 517 Old 05-07-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Soul-O ~ Congratulations! I guess it's true that you can always tell when the guys were home by counting back 9 months.

I'm sorry some of you will have to deal with unsupportive family. It's too bad people can't just realize things will be tough and step up to help rather than trying to make us feel bad about our decisions. I guess maybe that's the only way some people can express their concern.
Thanks for the congrats, everyone. I'm still anxious and kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop (which, after three consecutive losses is pretty understandable!), but things seem to be progressing normally at this point.

Anyhow, just wanted the new military moms to know that you are not alone in facing family opposition. My DH went active duty in July 2006 after his civilian employer told him he had to choose the CA Nat'l Guard or them (like he could choose - his Guard obligation at the time was 6 more years!). We left our lucrative corporate positions and moved across the country, from fancy and expensive Orange County, CA to hot, spartan Fort Gordon, GA with a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and a 6 week old. DH had OCS written into his AD contract, so we knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel financially speaking, still those first two years were pretty tough, and I hated being away from my family and friends. Almost four years later, I feel certain that we made the right choice. Our previous jobs were eliminated, our former landlord went into foreclosure, and the economy where we lived in OC has pretty much turned upside down. As it stands now, we are financially stable and my DH is doing the work that he loves. My family has always been supportive - DH's family much less so. His dad is a former hippie who spent many years protesting the Vietnam war, and his brother is very liberal/anti-military, so we get consistent pressure from them to find a better way to make a living . Still, I try to focus on the fact that we feel good about our decisions and are supporting each other and our family.

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#255 of 517 Old 05-09-2010, 01:28 AM

Congrats, Soul-O! Your EDD is 3 days before DD2's 1st birthday-- It's a good week.

I guess it's all official now: DH had his levy briefing last week, should get his paper orders this week. He's going to Mortuary Affairs school June-August and the we'll call Ft. Hood "home" after that!

I hate feeling like the clueless wife, but I honestly have NO CLUE what his job is. There's no solid info out there-- just little snippets of this and that. There's apparently no boards like aviation wives have. I'm coming to the conclusion that my husband will now be one of the "dirty little secrets" for the rest of his career. He's just happy he can stay gainfully employed by the military and not medically removed from the military.

So, I'm taking a tiny break in between trying to sort and pack our house, and taking care of my little floor buffer. :P She's getting mobile, I hope my mom knows what she's in for in the next few months! :P Not so sure how the plane will be from HI to OH, but I'm stoked to go home!

Angie, proud Army wife to Dan, mom to Kat (4/00) and Gracie (11/09)!!
#256 of 517 Old 05-09-2010, 10:38 AM

Happy Mother's Day ladies!!

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#257 of 517 Old 05-09-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul-O View Post
Thanks for the congrats, everyone. I'm still anxious and kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop (which, after three consecutive losses is pretty understandable!), but things seem to be progressing normally at this point.
I know how hard all of that is. Getting past week 12 is a very good sign.

#258 of 517 Old 05-09-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Happy mothers day!!!

#259 of 517 Old 05-09-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmamajama View Post
Not so sure how the plane will be from HI to OH, but I'm stoked to go home!
Where in Ohio is home?? I'm in Ohio... and while DH is moving to Fort Gordon for 8 months, it's looking like we will be staying behind

Happy Mother's Day ladies!!!! I hope it was a special day!

#260 of 517 Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 AM

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day! We're still transitioning in Fort Drum. I was hoping someone here could explain the benefits and downfalls of Tricare standard, prime, and the US Family Health Plan (mostly this part). I read their flyer and information on their site but I have different questions.

Would it be easier to find a pediatrician who would be okay with non-vaxing through the US Family Health Plan or do all the Tricare programs pretty much have the same network of doctors?

Which program would cover the most for homebirth?

Is it really a lot easier to deal with referrals and emergency visits through the USFHP?

How would I go about finding a holistic dentist or would Tricare cover anything like that?
#261 of 517 Old 05-10-2010, 09:40 AM

nevermind! a friend of mine was able to help me find a comparison website for insurance!

Thanks

~ Fe ~
#262 of 517 Old 05-10-2010, 12:03 PM

I have not heard of the US Family Health Plan. Is that something new? I'll google it in a bit. As far as I know, all the Tricare programs have the same network of civilian doctors, which might be dwindling soon after government cuts to payments. There is a clause that most people don't realize is there that gives you the ability to go to any doctor, whether in network or not, whenever you want without a referral whether you have Prime or Standard. As long as the doctor is licensed and in good standing and the treatment is covered by Tricare, they will cover it. It may just cost you more depending on whether you have Prime or Standard and on whether or not the doc will accept the Tricare payment. With Standard you don't need any kind of statement or referral. You can go to whomever you want whenever you want. Standard is an 80/20 split after you cover your deductible, which is either $100 or $150 per person per fiscal year depending on rank. You can get outside care with Prime without a referral or statement of nonavailability but it will cost you more, 50% cost share after a $300 deductible, I believe. If you see an out-of-network provider, you may have to pay up to 15% above the TC payment in addition to your deductible and cost share but you'll never have to pay more than that.

Tricare will only cover a homebirth with a Tricare certified CNM, no CPMs or lay MWs. I've heard it's relatively easy for a CNM to get TC certification so her services can be covered. If you have Prime and want your homebirth services covered 100%, I think you have to get a Statement of Nonavailability from your MTF giving you permission to get care outside the MTF. Those can be hard to get depending on the circumstances of the MTF. When I tried to get one from Tripler AMC in Hawaii I was refused because they said they could provide all the care I needed. Around here they are routine because the MTF doesn't have the capacity for the number of TC beneficiaries in the area. If you've already been referred for outside care, it's not a problem.

On nonvaxing, I have Standard and can't go to the MTF here because they are overfull with Prime people so I don't have experience with military docs and not vaxing. A friend of mine says you are slightly safer taking your non-vaxed kids to a MTF because, even if they give you a hard time about it, they can't refuse to treat you or your children the way a civilian doc can. Although, actually, a civilian doc can't refuse to treat someone without at least referring them to someone who will. I stick with FPs and GPs for routine stuff with my kids and haven't had any trouble. I've never had a doc refuse to see my kids.

We got a little flack at the ped's office I had taken them to a couple of times. The record keeper (not even a nurse) said she was going to talk to the doc about us even though I had already informed him and one other that we didn't vax and they didn't seem to mind too much. I never took the kids back there but I don't do regular check ups, anyway. I heard they changed their policy so that they won't respect delayed or selective vaxers but will respect complete non-vaxers. Kind of dumb.

I'm not sure how a holistic dentist is different from a "regular" one. I would think TC would pay for any covered services as long as the dentist was licensed and in good standing. Again, how much you have to pay would depend on whether or not the dentist was in-network and the service provided.

I am very partial to Standard and have not had any experience with Prime so take this FWIW. With Standard I think I have a lot more freedom and choice. I don't need referrals for anything. I don't need to name a PCM that I have to go to every time before seeing a specialist, which ime is a waste of time and money since the PCMs have always referred me to a specialist even for things I didn't think I needed a specialist for. If there is space at the MTF, I can see docs there and save money. I can always use the MTF labs, radiology and pharmacy for free with my civilian doc referrals. I saw military docs for my pregnancy when we lived in Hawaii because I had no choice. Except for the fact that I gave birth in the hospital, it wasn't a bad experience but wasn't ideal.

#263 of 517 Old 05-10-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

MW pretty much answered everything for you I'm also much happier on standard and agree that there is more freedom when you don't have to get referrals. The majority of the care we seek is not covered by Tricare anyway, and a lot of the doctors in our area don't take Tricare because they'll end up being flooded with patients because there's a shortage of doctors. I was actually denied care by a doctor's office because they wouldn't take or bill Tricare and said that letting me pay out of pocket is a federal crime because I already had insurance. Tricare told me that wasn't true, but I have no recourse.

What was that somebody said about counting back 9 months to know when the guys come home.....

#264 of 517 Old 05-10-2010, 12:24 PM

I just did a quick search of the US Family Health Plan. That appears to be a private insurance plan that is offered to military families that is exclusive to the Saint Vincent's Catholic Medical Centers. It appears to only be in New York? It appears to work the same way as Prime but it's not associated with Tricare or the military or the government at all. I didn't check to see if covered services are comparable. I guess maybe you could enroll in that if it would give you more choices of docs to see. If you enroll in TC Prime but don't like the military docs available to you, you could try the St. Vincent docs. If you stay Standard, you could try the St. Vincent docs first to save some money. I think it would be considered dual medical insurance and would become your default primary medical insurance with TC being secondary. Other than access to more docs without deductibles and cost shares/copays, I don't see any other benefit to joining.

#265 of 517 Old 05-10-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I was actually denied care by a doctor's office because they wouldn't take or bill Tricare and said that letting me pay out of pocket is a federal crime because I already had insurance. Tricare told me that wasn't true, but I have no recourse.
Yeah, that's not true. You can always pay cash up front and file a claim yourself to get reimbursed. I did it when I was seeing a fertility specialist in Hawaii. Tricare even helped me when I found out he was overcharging me. I guess if you went someone else for care, there isn't anything you could do about it. If that doc didn't give you a referral to someone else, you could possibly file a complaint against him/her for that.

I've run into some ignorance by office staff who don't understand that I don't need a referral when I have Standard. That's a little annoying but usually easily cleared up. There was one person at a doc's office in Hawaii who kept insisting I couldn't come to them without a referral and just couldn't or wouldn't understand how Standard worked and I eventually gave up with them and went somewhere else. Oh, I remember. It was for physical therapy/sports medicine stuff.

#266 of 517 Old 05-10-2010, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Yeah, that's not true. You can always pay cash up front and file a claim yourself to get reimbursed. I did it when I was seeing a fertility specialist in Hawaii. Tricare even helped me when I found out he was overcharging me. I guess if you went someone else for care, there isn't anything you could do about it. If that doc didn't give you a referral to someone else, you could possibly file a complaint against him/her for that.

I've run into some ignorance by office staff who don't understand that I don't need a referral when I have Standard. That's a little annoying but usually easily cleared up. There was one person at a doc's office in Hawaii who kept insisting I couldn't come to them without a referral and just couldn't or wouldn't understand how Standard worked and I eventually gave up with them and went somewhere else. Oh, I remember. It was for physical therapy/sports medicine stuff.
That was what Tricare said, but the office wouldn't even schedule me an appointment for the kids when they found out I had Tricare. There aren't enough doctors here for everyone so the waiting lists are a mile long and forget about getting a doctor who will see non-vaxers, I'm called every competent doctor in a 50 mile radius. It's incredibly frustrating because that was one of the only offices actively taking patients.

#267 of 517 Old 05-10-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKitten21 View Post
Where in Ohio is home?? I'm in Ohio... and while DH is moving to Fort Gordon for 8 months, it's looking like we will be staying behind

Happy Mother's Day ladies!!!! I hope it was a special day!
Just east of Columbus is home! I hear that I should be accustomed to the humidity of Hood because if it. :P We'll see about that!

Angie, proud Army wife to Dan, mom to Kat (4/00) and Gracie (11/09)!!
#268 of 517 Old 05-10-2010, 05:04 PM

Hey all

I live in Anzio acres and my neighbors have crime scene tape up around their house. Anyone know anything going on? Husband leaving soonish and I'm trying to figure out how freaked out/scared I am with something so serious as to deserve crime scene tape and the CID -

Thanks!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi
My Livi bear 10/26/2006
#269 of 517 Old 05-10-2010, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by appifanie View Post
Hey all

I live in Anzio acres and my neighbors have crime scene tape up around their house. Anyone know anything going on? Husband leaving soonish and I'm trying to figure out how freaked out/scared I am with something so serious as to deserve crime scene tape and the CID -

Thanks!
If it happened today it likely won't make the news for a while, they're really slow about putting stuff in the news if it ends up there at all. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

#270 of 517 Old 05-10-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
That was what Tricare said, but the office wouldn't even schedule me an appointment for the kids when they found out I had Tricare. There aren't enough doctors here for everyone so the waiting lists are a mile long and forget about getting a doctor who will see non-vaxers, I'm called every competent doctor in a 50 mile radius. It's incredibly frustrating because that was one of the only offices actively taking patients.
The waiting list is for seeing military docs? We have a serious shortage of docs here, too. Since I don't go for check ups I don't worry about it too much. If you don't vax, there's really no need to take the kids to the doc every few months. I just take my kids to one of the many walk-in urgent care places if they are very sick or hurt. When they ask if the kids are up to date on their vaxes, I say that they are. That's not really a lie because, as far as I'm concerned, they are.

I rarely take my kids to the doc, though. I don't need to take my kids to the doc once a year to be told they are healthy. I can see that they are. One doc once told me that my kids were the healthiest he'd ever seen. I thought to myself, "That's because I don't bring them to the doc's office where all the sick people are all the time." I had another doc who was shocked that none of us were on any meds and that my 2yo had never had antibiotics. We don't go for normal illnesses like colds or flus or fevers. I only take them if it seems really serious, like when ds3 ended up having MRSA. I thought it was a spider bite.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page