The 'unofficial' Unjobbing Tribe - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 253 Old 12-28-2010, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

See (this is going to sound pathetic) but I can't even figure out what skills I have to be able to pull this off. Music, yeah, I played for years, but not enough to teach anyone anything other than basics. The only thing I can really do is write, more or less :)

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#62 of 253 Old 12-29-2010, 01:02 AM

There can be a significant distinction between self-employment and unjobbing.

You are human, so it is unlikely that you have only one ability to offer. The questions are:

a) how do you leverage what you do already;

b) and/or how do you acquire leverage-able skills;

c) and/or which ones.

I think if you take stock of what you already know and do, it will show up quite an impressive list. You do not have to choose just one thing; you are no better off by doing so than you would be with a job. Jobs isolate particular skills and cause repetitive motion/thought/stagnation injuries to life, imo, so choosing something I do already, or worse, something I really love, and turning it into a job (albeit one that I own), just doesn't solve the problem for me. I won't retain my passion for long that way. I will have made myself a job. I don't want that, and I'm not ashamed of that.

That's me, and my list of interests is unusually long. I have on my list such a diversity of income generating work, that it is going to be necessary for me to decide how often and in what capacity I will enjoy each activity. Some may end up being things I do for others without remuneration. Others, I will seek remuneration for. Some I may do once per month, some once per week, and others seasonally, or just for my family or myself. They are on the list because I can do them, and they are all viable for producing in some capacity. I choose what capacity based on my values.

I just figured out today, because I was curious, that my dp can work 16 hours per week teaching guitar at the going rate, and earn more income than he does working 40 hours of grueling shiftwork, which is emotionally exhausting, soul-destroying, family straining, and worse. He could start next month if he drummed up the clientele. In fact, he could start even if he didn't earn more. He could just start and gradually build up clientele while gradually reducing his job hours.

If he worked two days at that, and I worked two days, too, we could double our present income in four days of work per week! With no job! He has the requisite equipment, enjoys teaching, and the drive is half that of his job, so he'd pocket even more from using less gasoline, less wear on the vehicle, and he'd be home for dinner. Right now, he's away for 14 hours for his 12 hr shifts. A huge bonus for him is the built-in opportunity to rub shoulders with other musicians, talk shop, and jam, which totally thrills him. :)

It's ludicrous to not do this, but again, trusting oneself to take full responsibility is the issue. I cannot and would not force him, of course, but even though he has everything to gain, and nothing to lose. Presently, even though the job security is not really secure at all, and the paycheque not guaranteed, he hasn't sent out an email to the list of every registered homeschooling family in the city (he has it). I think he will, but after I showed him the figures today, I think he was a bit star-struck, so he may need a day or two to work it out in his own mind.

Our minds are powerful; use them for good, lol. :) You absolutely have more than one skill. Absolutely.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#63 of 253 Old 01-01-2011, 05:28 PM
esg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post

Our minds are powerful; use them for good, lol. :) You absolutely have more than one skill. Absolutely.

This is great to read. I always feel like I have none or maybe one skill to offer. As someone who wants to never go back to working 52+ hours a week, I really need to get out of the mindset that I have nothing to offer and into the mindset that I do indeed have more than one skill. I;m going to go write up a list soon so I can make it visible and stop delaying myself due to this mindset. Thanks.

A_Random_Phrase likes this.

Single mama by choice to sonbabyf.gif 2/2011.
I love showing my little sweetheart (now a busy preschooler!) the world!

#64 of 253 Old 01-01-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:

There can be a significant distinction between self-employment and unjobbing.

You are human, so it is unlikely that you have only one ability to offer. The questions are:

a) how do you leverage what you do already;

b) and/or how do you acquire leverage-able skills;

c) and/or which ones.

I think if you take stock of what you already know and do, it will show up quite an impressive list. You do not have to choose just one thing; you are no better off by doing so than you would be with a job. Jobs isolate particular skills and cause repetitive motion/thought/stagnation injuries to life, imo, so choosing something I do already, or worse, something I really love, and turning it into a job (albeit one that I own), just doesn't solve the problem for me. I won't retain my passion for long that way. I will have made myself a job. I don't want that, and I'm not ashamed of that.

That's me, and my list of interests is unusually long. I have on my list such a diversity of income generating work, that it is going to be necessary for me to decide how often and in what capacity I will enjoy each activity. Some may end up being things I do for others without remuneration. Others, I will seek remuneration for. Some I may do once per month, some once per week, and others seasonally, or just for my family or myself. They are on the list because I can do them, and they are all viable for producing in some capacity. I choose what capacity based on my values.

I just figured out today, because I was curious, that my dp can work 16 hours per week teaching guitar at the going rate, and earn more income than he does working 40 hours of grueling shiftwork, which is emotionally exhausting, soul-destroying, family straining, and worse. He could start next month if he drummed up the clientele. In fact, he could start even if he didn't earn more. He could just start and gradually build up clientele while gradually reducing his job hours.

If he worked two days at that, and I worked two days, too, we could double our present income in four days of work per week! With no job! He has the requisite equipment, enjoys teaching, and the drive is half that of his job, so he'd pocket even more from using less gasoline, less wear on the vehicle, and he'd be home for dinner. Right now, he's away for 14 hours for his 12 hr shifts. A huge bonus for him is the built-in opportunity to rub shoulders with other musicians, talk shop, and jam, which totally thrills him. :)

It's ludicrous to not do this, but again, trusting oneself to take full responsibility is the issue. I cannot and would not force him, of course, but even though he has everything to gain, and nothing to lose. Presently, even though the job security is not really secure at all, and the paycheque not guaranteed, he hasn't sent out an email to the list of every registered homeschooling family in the city (he has it). I think he will, but after I showed him the figures today, I think he was a bit star-struck, so he may need a day or two to work it out in his own mind.

would you mind posting your list, if it's not too personal?

#65 of 253 Old 01-02-2011, 05:02 PM

Okay, so it is scary for me to post a list because it is not refined yet, and this would be my first public expression of it. I want to begin and see which things are best for us, and then begin the process of culling from there, so the list is very long, but it won't be after the first year. So, here goes. And sorry about the vagueness of some of it. I have drawings, but I'd rather make the stuff than share the drawings. :) Oh, and this is art and handcraft-heavy because that's what I enjoy doing in larger scale than say, cooking, even though I do expend much personal time and energy doing it. I will use Etsy and the myriad (really- it's amazing) markets, galleries and fairs to peddle my work.

Our work:

- weekly column in local paper (one editor confirmed interest in my pitch and will be discussing with other editor this week; I'll know soon) I've never been remunerated for writing before. Dp wants to do this too.

- botanical illustrations for a local farmer's community cookbook (waiting on assignment specs; confirmed work)

- ink and gouache fine art paintings

- encaustic and/or wax paste paintings

- oil paintings

- commissioned ink portraits in a style I developed on my own a few years ago

- pallet-wood furniture and accessories with artistic embellishment

- handmade dulcimers and children's stringed instruments- possibly also using hardwoods from pallets- retail hardwood is hard to obtain here, so pallets are the easiest way to go.

- coiled baskets of various sizes and materials

- beeswax candles

- wool-filled household accessories

- rag rugs

- loom-knitted hats made from high-end wool/silk

- high-end stuffed toys of unique designs that we've worked on

- artistic guitar/banjo straps

- hand-painted drum sticks (there is a disproportionate number of musicians here relative to the gen. pop.)

- tanned rabbit hides either plain (large community of fur crafters here) or made into something (we'll have rabbits come spring)

- live herbs in gift baskets/pots, SCOBYs, and fresh Kombucha for the farmer's market

- miniature kites, pinwheels, and face-painting at the farmer's market

- high end mobiles for home decor and window hangings

- medieval-style cloaks for children made from repurposed wool

- finish novel, several childrens books, and the other four books I've written but need to edit and refine, then approach publishers

- sell a pig (we'll be raising two piglets this year: one for our consumption, and the other for a surreal amount of cash given how easy and inexpensive they are to raise.

- possibly sell overstock of meat rabbits

- film our progress as we transform our home area into a functional homestead (anything locally produced here- books, films, etc...- sells quickly; there's a huge local-loyalty and also tourist interest in how we live here.)

- fine art sculptures- metal, glass, wood, etc...

- two 8 hr days of guitar lessons/week (dp; I play ukulele and I'm a beginner)

- play gigs and yearly festival

- build pretty chicken coops for city folk (new regulations allow chickens for the first time since they banned it decades ago), compost bins, dog houses and rabbit hutches

- collect and resell excellent quality/condition books

- wooden toys and practice swords

- once/week primal lunch at market kitchen that draws locals for locally produced, organic food (this would be a triple purpose activity: lovely, huge commercial kitchen use for our children to participate much more easily than at home, meet and visit with lots of like-minded folk, and make cash)

There's more, I'm sure. I just pulled out six pages from three different attempts at making the list and compiled most of it here. We're building a blacksmithing forge this summer. Most of what I have listed, we could start doing today. We couldn't go on for long without sales to amass more materials, but we could start.

We live where the possibilities are really wide open. There is no saturated market here, but a large enough population to support almost any endeavour. And we have twice yearly tourism. We'd be rich of we opened an art supplies store. There are oodles of artists here, and we all ship our supplies in. Crazy. I don't want a job, though- not even one that I own. Plus, we don't have the capital to buy the supplies anyway.

So, there it is. :)

If anyone else is willing to post lists, it might be fun to encourage one another. :)

ETA: the column and book illustration stuff just came about in the last few days since I decided to do this. They were not previous engagements. :)

mum4vr and A_Random_Phrase like this.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#66 of 253 Old 01-02-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esg View Post

Quote:

This is great to read. I always feel like I have none or maybe one skill to offer. As someone who wants to never go back to working 52+ hours a week, I really need to get out of the mindset that I have nothing to offer and into the mindset that I do indeed have more than one skill. I;m going to go write up a list soon so I can make it visible and stop delaying myself due to this mindset. Thanks.

:) It will be so awesome to live freely with your little bundle (with a great name)! I remember before I was married, looking at a list of things that someone else was doing and thinking as I read along, "I could do that! And that, and that, and...". My dp is probably sick of hearing me say that the only difference between us and people succeeding at what they want to do, is that they are doing it.

Having read the autobiographcal anecdotes of various people doing it, it firstly amazed me how ordinary they were. They have fears, setbacks, and didn't know everything about their work before they started (entrepreneur rule number 1, which I think only serves to dissuade otherwise capable people from doing what they want to do; we can all learn, even while doing). But then I saw their courage and it was that quality alone that set them apart in my eyes, and made them extraordinary. But I don't think the deliberate life is only for an elite class; it's for anyone who wants it and then acts accordingly, which takes courage in a culture that truly believes college=job=money=success, then you retire when you're spent. That's just not for me. And that sequence is no guarantee, either, but it doe set up the potential for false hope, false identities, and worse: the obliteration of individual creativity and ingenuity through productivity. If we aren't built to make things, do stuff, and enjoy the process, then we are incorrectly built. We're not ants. We're human beings. So we should stop acting like ants. :)  

#67 of 253 Old 01-02-2011, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I have no idea there was a NAME for what I do!

I jokingly call myself a professional shopper - I thrift and coupon shop to make a living. Anything free after coupons or sales cheap enough to make a profit that we won't use goes in my yard sales, anything I see while out thrift shopping that I can make a profit on gets sold on ebay or craigslist. My goal is to get my house paid off ASAP, then I can just live off my yard sales.

I used to sell books online for a living in college, but now the market had dropped quite a bit so I only sell through buyback sites - less hassle and less work. Pay isn't as good though.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#68 of 253 Old 01-02-2011, 06:40 PM

I have been an unjobber for quite some time now- I have a pet sitting business that specializes in parrots. Our busiest times are winter holidays and summer vacations, other times of year it is slow.

I have also done other things, too- working under the table for several people and their small businesses (carefully negotiating boundaries and being careful never to always answer their calls every time they call- that is a recipe for little pay and too much work!), making things and selling them, and also finding things to sell on ebay. I have friends who get free new products at their companies, so I get to sell things that they give me sometimes.

I love the being my own boss thing. I used to own my own webstore- and hope to open another place one day (brick and mortar, a sustainability and permaculture embracing restaurant and general store).

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#69 of 253 Old 01-05-2011, 12:19 AM

This also is my goal this year.  energy.gif

Resistance is futile Matey
#70 of 253 Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

I jokingly call myself a professional shopper - I thrift and coupon shop to make a living. Anything free after coupons or sales cheap enough to make a profit that we won't use goes in my yard sales, anything I see while out thrift shopping that I can make a profit on gets sold on ebay or craigslist. My goal is to get my house paid off ASAP, then I can just live off my yard sales.

I used to sell books online for a living in college, but now the market had dropped quite a bit so I only sell through buyback sites - less hassle and less work. Pay isn't as good though.

Are you really able to make enough money to pay your monthly bills just by doing that? I've bought from thrift stores and resold on eBay for money, but it hasn't been enough to be my sole source of income (and my boyfriend smokes, so we definitely can't sell pretty much anything! >:( ). I feel like eBay is dying off, honestly. What do you think?

I bought my boyfriend an amazing book called "The Art of Non-Conformity" that I'm reading too, and I love it. I highly recommend it to people reading this thread.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#71 of 253 Old 01-05-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post

Quote:

Are you really able to make enough money to pay your monthly bills just by doing that? I've bought from thrift stores and resold on eBay for money, but it hasn't been enough to be my sole source of income (and my boyfriend smokes, so we definitely can't sell pretty much anything! >:( ). I feel like eBay is dying off, honestly. What do you think?

I bought my boyfriend an amazing book called "The Art of Non-Conformity" that I'm reading too, and I love it. I highly recommend it to people reading this thread.

I do pretty well, last year I made $4k just from yard sales. Ebay I'm just getting back into - I've been using just craigslist for ages, but craigslist here really isn't selling as well as it used to.

The book buyback sites you definitely can, if you have good thrift shops and a cell with internet. I just shipped out 40 books sold for a total of $125, and those were just old ones from when I sold on half.com that I was decluttering.

I guess it depends on how much you need to live on - I can live comfy on $12k a year, and that will go down to $5k when my house gets paid off. Yes, it's below the poverty level, but we have everything we need and enough to make ends meet.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#72 of 253 Old 01-05-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah

I will add that to my list, thanks!

Quote:

I do pretty well, last year I made $4k just from yard sales. Ebay I'm just getting back into - I've been using just craigslist for ages, but craigslist here really isn't selling as well as it used to.

The book buyback sites you definitely can, if you have good thrift shops and a cell with internet. I just shipped out 40 books sold for a total of $125, and those were just old ones from when I sold on half.com that I was decluttering.

I guess it depends on how much you need to live on - I can live comfy on $12k a year, and that will go down to $5k when my house gets paid off. Yes, it's below the poverty level, but we have everything we need and enough to make ends meet.

Wow, you ARE a frugal mama! I envy your ability and aspirations.

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#73 of 253 Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 AM

That was really super helpful... I have some thinking to do :)

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#74 of 253 Old 01-06-2011, 08:41 AM

Subbing. This is my dream for DH and I.   I'm currently building my practice as a Certified Nutritional Therapist--not making much money yet but loving the work.  I think one of the biggest things for DH is the confidence factor---trusting that he can do something he loves and actually bring in an income.  I struggle with this too but I'm getting over it since I have found work that feels like play and, when I put myself out there, I am getting a good response.

#75 of 253 Old 01-07-2011, 06:33 AM

This is our dream as well.

We both lack confidence and energy. It feels like we also lack time, but I think the lack of energy thing just makes it feel that way. He might lose his job soon (the company he works for was recently and rather suddenly taken over by another) which I guess would be a great time to just go for it. My husband is artistically (actually graduated with a degree in painting from a great school) and musically inclined so he would love to do more of that. I don't really have any talents or skills that I can think of, to be honest. I'm even pretty horrible at being frugal! I'm trying to learn though. :)

oh noo
#76 of 253 Old 01-08-2011, 10:16 AM

From my list in post #65:

Quote:
- botanical illustrations for a local farmer's community cookbook (waiting on assignment specs; confirmed work)

I had the specs meeting yesterday, and it's not just botanical illustrations; it's everything! I'm illustrating the whole book!!! I'll be doing 100 drawings of various things ranging from a garlic bulb to the process of eviscerating a chicken, so the drawings will vary in complexity. They are going to print April 1st, so my drawings are due by March 31st. Sooo excited!

I'm amazed that just becoming open to doing this has already yielded two paying opportunities. I think I may not be on MDC as much now; I have over 100 hours of drawing to do and hopefully the column specs come this week too. :D

ETA: 82 days, 100 drawings...

Is it helpful to post as I make progress here, or might it be annoying to others? I just thought if I post as opportunities open up for me, as I accomplish things on my list, it could be encouraging to others beginning like I am, and real when I post what hasn't worked for me. So, I guess unless the consensus is that it's annoying, I'll just quote my list items from #65 with the results as I make them happen. :)

#77 of 253 Old 01-09-2011, 11:08 AM

PreggieUBA2C, that is such an awesome project, congrats!

I would love it if everyone posted progress, opportunities that arise for them, etc...very inspiring.

I am dreading going to work tomorrow. :( I sent my future SIL a text yesterday about starting an AP-friendly in home day care. I want to stay home with our son, and she wants to have a baby and be a SAHM too. We would have to figure out how to have health insurance and see what our start up fees would be, how much we could potentially make to budget our bills, etc. I've always wanted to find an AP day care...a place where I know gentle discipline would be practiced, cloth diapers welcomed, no-vaxxing isn't a problem, healthy snacks served, etc etc...so why not create that instead of wishing someone else did? And in the process I could homeschool my son and spend more time with my family, plus have fun doing crafts and playing outside with kids instead of being stuck at a desk all day. I would continue going to school...I'm a computer science major and I love it...I want to be self employed as a programmer eventually. So I could keep working toward that on the side, along with our record label and million other projects...

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#78 of 253 Old 01-09-2011, 12:28 PM

Pariah, thanks! :D

I wanted to do a gentle dayhome, too, but then we kept having babies and we were the dayhome, lol.

Would you mind sharing what your other projects are? A record label sounds really neat, and I have absolutely no idea what that entails. My dp is toying with the idea of publishing; is a label a similar undertaking?

#79 of 253 Old 01-09-2011, 01:56 PM

Pariah, before you dream too big....check your state laws.  Many states that allow vax exemptions for school do NOT allow them for daycares!!! They consider daycares a different category and not exemptable. Just a simple call to the licensing agency and requesting the regs and reading for yourself you can figure it out.

Preggie, love to see your updates!! Your list helped me brainstorm my list! :) I'm not 'artsy' at all, but I can sew and do quite a few other things that I wouldn't have thought of, had I not read your list. So thank you very, very much for posting it!!!!!!

I can't remember if I just subbed to this thread, or if I posted an intro....so I'll write again ;)  I am on my way to MT in a few short weeks to my new little 'ranchette'. (It's only 6 acres, so not quite sure what to call it as 'ranches' in Montana are thousands of acres LOL). But, we're going to be doing some 'homesteading' and definitely unjobbing! I have done craft shows in the past and will do those again once I am all settled in.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#80 of 253 Old 01-09-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Pariah, before you dream too big....check your state laws.  Many states that allow vax exemptions for school do NOT allow them for daycares!!! They consider daycares a different category and not exemptable. Just a simple call to the licensing agency and requesting the regs and reading for yourself you can figure it out

For this reason we'd most likely not be a licensed day care. The couple people I know of who do/have done daycare aren't and it hasn't hurt them, business-wise. Amongst co-workers and other parents I know, licensing doesn't seem to matter too much...reputation/word of mouth is everything. That said, when I was considering daycare for my son when I started my current job, I applied for daycare vouchers and because the daycares that accepted them were getting gov't money, they had to take people who didn't vaccinate due to religious beliefs. I'm assuming it is the same way as how public schools have to accept religious exemptions. Double checked just now on the NVIC site for my state...it does say that non-vaxed kids can go to take care provided the proper form/documentation stating the religious objection is completed and kept by the person operating the daycare. Awesome.

Quote:

I wanted to do a gentle dayhome, too, but then we kept having babies and we were the dayhome, lol.

Would you mind sharing what your other projects are? A record label sounds really neat, and I have absolutely no idea what that entails. My dp is toying with the idea of publishing; is a label a similar undertaking?

Publishing is different and I don't know much about that at all. Our record label is more art for art's sake rather than for profit, so our business side is different than a label that has a huge budget and advertising team. I'm putting out at least one EP this year, that is my goal. So far we do small pressings of physical CDs and then mostly digital releases of music. We (the couple of us "signed" to the label) also DJ at clubs, mostly within the goth/industrial/fetish scenes. We've turned more into a "media production company" in the past several months, doing web/graphic design in addition to music, and we're considering bringing on a friend who has been doing freelance video editing/shooting. I'll also be promoting/selling other visual art (photography and paintings) through the label. The label is appropriately called Anything Industries...we just want to create things, express social/political views, and personal experiences (with no defined/limiting genre or medium, hence "Anything") and send them out into the world. We're brainstorming ideas for live shows (we all make electronic music and we're into performance art) and poking around venues in our city to hold a monthly electronic/hip hop club night.

We don't make a lot of money from this...cd and digital download sales bring in some, DJ gigs bring in a little, and web/graphic design has been the most profitable so far and we're trying to expand that through blogging, Facebook pages, etc.

Other projects...I'm sketching out a children's book and working on the plot. I shoot concert photos for a popular music website that my friend runs, in addition to doing the site's advertising and promotion and photo editing. I make lots of little things to sell...toys, "spooky books," etc. I'm also working on a line of stationary, postcard, gift tags, greeting cards, etc. I also have a million other hobbies and interests...

Sorry for such a long post! You made the mistake of asking what other projects there are, LOL. IMO, there are never enough.

#81 of 253 Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 AM

Awesome Pariah!  Here, you cannot legally care for your kids plus more than 2 unrelated children without being registered/licensed as a daycare!  Very strict. And technically if you do any care, you're supposed to notify them and be listed as a 'legally unregistered provider'.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#82 of 253 Old 01-18-2011, 01:16 PM

So yay!

I have been working at my 100 drawing contract for a book on preparing and preserving the harvest for winter, and just received an email to reprint my as-of-yet-incomplete drawings for a city project. My drawings, if the council approves of the proposal, will be turned into pretty signs that will be permanent installations in the city's gardens around town. The initiative is to plant edible gardens, so my drawings are right in line, which is why I received the email from one of the organisers of the project (everyone knows everyone here; there are 24,000 people living here, so word travels fast).

Anyway, I'm so thrilled. Will post again when I know for sure whether it'll happen. :)

Hope you don't mind the play-by-play. I always look for people's descriptions of how things go before they've been tidied up for publication, and it is very hard to find such things, so I'm trying to do that here for anyone else who might want to know exactly what a journey like this might look like.

I hope everyone else is making progress, too! Please post! :)

#83 of 253 Old 01-18-2011, 08:50 PM
esg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esg View Post

Quote:

:) It will be so awesome to live freely with your little bundle (with a great name)! I remember before I was married, looking at a list of things that someone else was doing and thinking as I read along, "I could do that! And that, and that, and...". My dp is probably sick of hearing me say that the only difference between us and people succeeding at what they want to do, is that they are doing it.

Having read the autobiographcal anecdotes of various people doing it, it firstly amazed me how ordinary they were. They have fears, setbacks, and didn't know everything about their work before they started (entrepreneur rule number 1, which I think only serves to dissuade otherwise capable people from doing what they want to do; we can all learn, even while doing). But then I saw their courage and it was that quality alone that set them apart in my eyes, and made them extraordinary. But I don't think the deliberate life is only for an elite class; it's for anyone who wants it and then acts accordingly, which takes courage in a culture that truly believes college=job=money=success, then you retire when you're spent. That's just not for me. And that sequence is no guarantee, either, but it doe set up the potential for false hope, false identities, and worse: the obliteration of individual creativity and ingenuity through productivity. If we aren't built to make things, do stuff, and enjoy the process, then we are incorrectly built. We're not ants. We're human beings. So we should stop acting like ants. :)  

That is very true! The only difference is that they're actually doing it and I'm sitting here wishing I could. Not anymore! I have one more week of this work,

It does amaze me how these people are just like me,  just like us. I always think they have this extra bit that I don't but really the only difference is that they are doing and not sitting. You are right though. It will be awesome! I'm nervous but I am totally committed now. I have to do this cause there's really nothing else I should be doing.

I expect it will be tough to get going and to get to the financial level that I'm leaving behind but I'd much rather work at it this way. I'm excited!

Single mama by choice to sonbabyf.gif 2/2011.
I love showing my little sweetheart (now a busy preschooler!) the world!

#84 of 253 Old 01-21-2011, 09:30 PM

You guys are awesome! People after my own heart. You're giving me courage, to think of ways I could approach unjobbing (I have heard the term - I have a book called, "How to Make a Living Without a Job"). I'm being pressured to get a rat-race job bc my kids and I have been living in a couple of travel trailers in my sil back yard. I'm sure she is very tired of having us here. I don't have a vehicle to get to any rat race job, though (I'm in a rural area), even if I wanted one.

Just knowing I'm not alone - and reading the updates in your stories helps so much. Thanks.

mum4vr likes this.
#85 of 253 Old 01-22-2011, 03:38 AM

Life embrace-rs! I am with you! Living here in Hawaii (and moving to the East Coast, but don't know where yet) I have been embracing a lot of living and food growing. It is amazing to grow our own. I think the most incredible feeling is picking fruit from a tree, season after season. I think I am with a lot of you about the truths about how much I need to live and breath. I went outside the other night at midnight naked because my dear son 3.5 yrs old has been really stubborn about wearing clothing. It was really mind blowing. I have studied Biology (B.A) and really passionate elective subjects, while Biology was my main love, learning about other passions really helped me grow. I have gone from mainstream (with DH, rocky, eek) and totally been feeling more crunchy as life goes on. He had a rough year last year at his job and his mother died.. I also had a rough year too finishing up cancer cure (YAY!.. not the kind that took my hair, but my thyroid.) It really landed us thinking so much, praying dearly and hugging each other often.. "Banana Pancakes" by Jack Johnson and "Better Together" came up often. So many things changed and changed. So now, here I am like a crazy person feeling what it is like to be naked to try to understand my kids..yep.. duh.. we are animals. http://www.oprah.com/health/Lessons-for-Living-Longer <---- I read up on this stuff, and eating more raw food, lots of raw food in my health case.. but really.. look at this list! IT IS US!!! :)))) I think that so much of what is all tied up in these systems.. these go to buildings.. break for lunch.. get a sitter.. run to class. Why? I mean at that very point I feel like I really may no longer, but sure if I want to some day when my kids are older, get a degree. I got Life! Habitat! 

What was it like? It was cold, but I wanted to wait like 5 minutes.First I felt like a total animal, I looked around like I was looking for other animals, but more like imagining if like really big ones were there (did not like that).  I put my hands in the dirt and smelled it. I chewed on some basil (kind of not cool because you should always wash your harvest very well and vinegar isn't bad). I was totally astonished..a feeling that I still really don't have words for. I got my DH out of bed and got him naked (under a blanket) and told him outside. "We are ALIVE!" All this Harvard and everything can be a really stressful distraction.. We are animals, we need food and family. This is what the longevity cultures have! Habitat! " He told me I was nuts and  went to bed.

But later all this week we talked and some point I kind of broke down about it. I mean... There is a crunchy conflict going on but he turned to me and told me I was beautiful and he would love me no matter what and also after meeting me after a divorce from a jet-setter (in a flower shop buying roses for another date :D) he has been living more and longing for bigger dreams. I feel like I am turning into a true hippie. Not sure about the leg hair yet, but I totally love friends that care that so much about living and the earth to have hair.. or about being natural. It is frustrating because he is very Conservative, yet provident and frugal. Really? I think he is kind of a closet hippie. He wants so badly to be popular with every league of men...but tonight at a beach campfire he told me the only thing he prays for the most and every day is that we are happy, healthy and together. He would be pinned a geek hippie with a small love for vehicles, world news (i know), travel, tea, yoga, hiking, volunteering, but most of all being a great father, why we had an amazing first date is we just spilled all our dreams out, dream home, dream life, etc). He has shown me when truly talking to him that he really wants to play music, make things from wood, and maybe write a novel.. way more than banking, but I feel like he may use is MBA for something green. Living here so close to nature, we have been having so many sustainable inventions (sorry can't share yet.. we are seriously getting up and running but the green market is so important and so raw! They need all of us and China to rocks this green thing!) that maybe no one has ever thought of before. And ETSY? We love Etsy! I think that as time goes on, people will fall in love more and more.. it is amazing how many of my friends have never even heard of it.. I thought I told them, but we had 2 Christmases in a row with Etsy and now it is getting popular around here. I love Etsy. It is spiritual having a collection of handmade toys and a Christmas of them! 

I have plans to unschool/homeschool with a lot of nature, library, and as many free programs I can find. DH has been very clear about joining us and clear that having rich experience with real books and classes (child led) will be the way to go.

Relocating is proving to the be either a miracle that will soon be answered (sold house but planning a trip to find home around family and staying with family, but we are providing the money for traveling and food with house sale..well actually all of our stuff we sold = income.) I hope to get a Road trek (van like RV but not huge) and get us setup that way until we find home..but.. so.. I am finding that a community that, well, has a spirit of going green, but really? It is more about the organic food. People going back to their roots. Sometimes, sure Organic can be for a few, but the way it just sort of trickles out into the system makes me feel more comfortable being a very frugal person. We will one day have a home... I guess what I am trying to say is.. I am not sure if we are moving to a really crunchy place where I can walk and encourage veggie grown gift giving, solar ovens, greenhouses going up like barns for the Amish.. is around my family in not so crunchy places.. I am not sure.. I love my family I mean I love them dearly! But the New England area is just lighting up with Organic Food! I am however considering TN over Asheville NC for the first time because I am unsure I can afford to un job in a mountain town.... It is kind of the thing about lifestyle.. I am unsure that we can afford a great lifestyle with pretty mountains vs. organic farms and u-pic farms out the back door and in Abundance.. Not sure where it is though. 

I really like the daycare idea! I was thinking of a creative space kind of place where people can rent out a portion of our home or something, for gatherings and since we are really against plastics and love the earthy decor (and artsy).. we may be able to bring some Honolulu/Chinatown/West Coast Vibe into a place.. but Honolulu has a very transition feel to it.. it actually brings more people together from all paths on life, so.. just thinking. I was also thinking of having teen nights there because they really need a healthy and safe place to manifest their dreams and a stage in the community, not just a school or church, but a place to hang art and have a showing, also amps to sing out all they want, a dance floor, but no drinks other than coffee, smoothies, and teas. I think concessions would ultimately pay for it, but cover would be the best way. DH is great at building and I am really getting awesome at holistic design. It could work?! The thing that makes it more of a possibility is if a few people get together that want to unjob together. I am feeling like the crunchier places may be the place to look for this. I also like the idea of running a crunchy parents co-op, where the workers get great prices.. The thing I am seeing about building one of these places is that I will share the work with other parents just like us, or grandparents, etc. and that way we can be free-er than running it all alone. 

I am getting scared that if I move far from my sisters' towns that I will not be getting the point of family.. but those sisters' also live in that place because of their job or school and I am having a really hard time talking to them about how off the grid I want to raise my family and I DON"T want to start a new movement in an area where people are kind of stunned when they see me in flowing organic dresses (dreams to be realized soon, I wish!) because I am worried that if I really let that get to me, it will shape me and I will feel so censored. 

Not that you are all going to change your look, but sometimes I think that the whole frugal thing is going to have its way with us. We are also trying to teach our kids to be take-out ware free, and all kinds of noticeable - bend out of your way (or relearn) stuff and I want it to go smoothly. I want to make all my own house cleaners, soaps, gifts, hopefully clothing (and very little), have very little furniture (actually love sacs are going to be fun for our kids! and we think these can move outside easily, or upstairs, etc) and one large plate like they do in Morocco where everybody eats in a circle on the floor and dips bread in a dish (once in awhile sounds like a dream! But totally the one dish set per person. All celebrations will be decorated with as much ground found nature as possible and some cuttings.. I think art supplies and musical instruments are going to be our biggest things.. also health insurance.. still even checking out Mass because they have a public system that you pay for. Not sure though.. totally need it.. so much thinking of working at Whole Foods, but that is not always green or easy.

The countryside is where I see something big. Like life. Sometimes I think that way, but then I want to walk most places. The small town, if it had a co-op from local farmers on Main street, a local farm to table restaurant and a library, with a park for a waterway near by is my ultimate dream. I would walk into town and probably plan play dates for the kids where we put on neighborhood plays or did other kind of focused stuff or just celebrated the passions everyone has. I would be willing to try off the grid living as much as possible. Sometimes I think it is also a balance.. No stimulants bought outside the home, no light but candles at night (most times), no washing your clothes for one load a week, or you hand wash it in the bathroom sink. 

traveling is going to be the most creative and that is where I think unjobbing is the most direct way to this... I was thinking of really hanging out with my family from Jan-Mar and having a Christmas with them then and keeping our little Christmas with just us (and my mom if she wanted to come over, but really no fanfare..but lots of handmade) Also, there really isn't a lot of harvest during that time in America, so shopping where they shop, etc and not picking from our garden, co-op, market, would be fine. I am not sure how well this could go..It is cold, we would be RVing, but living a lot with them? Brother in law is so picky about space.. hmm.. maybe sis and I can plan projects during this time? 

Other option is moving to Loudon County where a friend is totally like me and even have the same age and sex kids as us! She is also a closet hippie and a close corporate friend, grows most of her own food, cans, bakes bread, and is totally frugal. Her family and I Skype! That is really meaningful to me and I understand with a friend like that we can grow other things and share them, also help on planting day, etc, etc. 

I am so sorry I rambled! 

Leslie, organic semi-unschooling mama teaching my children 5 and 2.75, that love & happiness is most important. Letting their light shine, finding out they are teaching me. Love being in the moment & nature.

#86 of 253 Old 01-27-2011, 02:01 AM

I found this today... It might have been the first film that got me thinking (saw it a long time ago). I know in the end he gets his job back and gets a promotion, but the guide to the movie on the second disc clearly said that it was meant to get families closer. Very fitting for my family anyway.. I love it when Michael gives back the tuppins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SszipbuN-tc

Also this website.. I know it is about homeschooling/unschooling and that is totally *kind of* off topic, but the booklist this man wrote is very interesting to me. Sort of hits two spots at once for me rather than reading a book about unjobbing (maybe because I am not searching for employment ideas to do at home, but more of the reason why it *is* so important) look at the first 4 titles:

http://www.skylarksings.com/books/

I read the "original seeker" one and DH did too. It was so great. I am interested in reading a little more on Holt and Gatto, but I also am seeing the beauty in love and happiness as a foundation for my kids and I just want to take a break and focus on that moment.. trying to be open and loving and not carrying around heavy ideas about "systems" in my head, but more like "oh look! a butterfly!" Soule Mama's books are the next ones I am planning on reading.. just want more inspiration for having fun! 

I also got involved in this.. totally by the seat of my pants with my single mother friend, just because she needed some "community" to get it started. We already have so many people and ideas coming together and not really holding it away from schoolers, but we also really want a homeschool connection to be made...When you get it on the level of homeschooling, parents get really involved and take ownership.. I guess it is a step up from playdates... mom led classes, we all take turns, we all share what and when we can.. So there are no fees.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rainbowtribehomeschooling/

Cheers! 

Leslie, organic semi-unschooling mama teaching my children 5 and 2.75, that love & happiness is most important. Letting their light shine, finding out they are teaching me. Love being in the moment & nature.

#87 of 253 Old 01-27-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacresmama View Post

I found this today... It might have been the first film that got me thinking (saw it a long time ago). I know in the end he gets his job back and gets a promotion, but the guide to the movie on the second disc clearly said that it was meant to get families closer. Very fitting for my family anyway.. I love it when Michael gives back the tuppins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SszipbuN-tc

Also this website.. I know it is about homeschooling/unschooling and that is totally *kind of* off topic, but the booklist this man wrote is very interesting to me. Sort of hits two spots at once for me rather than reading a book about unjobbing (maybe because I am not searching for employment ideas to do at home, but more of the reason why it *is* so important) look at the first 4 titles:

http://www.skylarksings.com/books/

I read the "original seeker" one and DH did too. It was so great. I am interested in reading a little more on Holt and Gatto, but I also am seeing the beauty in love and happiness as a foundation for my kids and I just want to take a break and focus on that moment.. trying to be open and loving and not carrying around heavy ideas about "systems" in my head, but more like "oh look! a butterfly!" Soule Mama's books are the next ones I am planning on reading.. just want more inspiration for having fun! 

I also got involved in this.. totally by the seat of my pants with my single mother friend, just because she needed some "community" to get it started. We already have so many people and ideas coming together and not really holding it away from schoolers, but we also really want a homeschool connection to be made...When you get it on the level of homeschooling, parents get really involved and take ownership.. I guess it is a step up from playdates... mom led classes, we all take turns, we all share what and when we can.. So there are no fees.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rainbowtribehomeschooling/

Cheers! 

David Albert {Author of the book above} is one of the coolest guys you'll ever meet. Our Homeschool group had him speak for our annual conference this past July, and it was great.

I haven't read the book yet - adding it to my library list now.

#88 of 253 Old 01-29-2011, 09:24 AM

Seeking ideas and maybe encouragement (which is funny bc I have done this before, and it was the happiest time in my family's life!)

Unjobbing again after leaving a ministry related teaching job. We moved back to our old digs, and are renting from friends whilst building a permaculture house. I "get" the basics of being resourceful and unjobbing, but my previous leads for "trickle in" income (like substitute teaching) are drying up-- I've had only 2 days in a month, and my tutoring bus. is not picking up yet either-- apprehension is beginning to set in a little.

Also, I am well aware that I can't expect glorious garden produce for at least a year or two (we need time to build compost) bc we'll be gardening fairly depleted soil; it takes time to heal and build it; I don't have a lot of cash for good soil amendments (and thank God for my sheep and my friends! bc sheep bedding can be put onto a garden straight w/o composting and w/o burning it up-- it should help some 'til our compost matures). Our garden, needless to say, usually provides a LOT of our annual food!

I used to keep children in my home, but I think we are too far out in the sticks for that to be practical. Since net access IS available, but slow, I'd entertain any suggestions in that direction, or really any good ideas at all.

blessings to all and tia!

#89 of 253 Old 01-29-2011, 10:35 AM

I would write a blog about t all, even if you don't publish for a while, get started. Remember you are doing something many people long to do ( I think? Attracted to many) and make toys from found nature and home decor. And in a little milk paint and felt. Sell on etsy. Totally try just trying to sew together little doll houses, widdle small things like hair sticks, fairy doors. Or a doll chair. Try to make something very beautiful from found pieces for party decor, etc.

Best of luck!
mum4vr likes this.

#90 of 253 Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 AM

thank you greenacres, for your encouragement. (I'm thinking, me? publish a blog? LOL)

I love doing the types of creative things you mentioned, and it is all part and parcel of the life we live. I never thought of actually realizing any income from this type of creativity, tho. Usually it is the "trickle in" income that allows us to enjoy all the creative fun... reconsidering some of my hobbies now in the light of-- can I possibly realize any income from the things I already enjoy (besides teaching)...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page