Nerd parents, I know you're out there - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 107 Old 01-02-2011, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

oh wow philomom how cool to live so close to it. thumb.gif

Seeing all those posters of Mask made me think of the one that has Mask and Lobo fighting each other.  Have you read that one?  It was delicious. yummy.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Lobo-Mask-Book-One-Two/dp/B002L08QH6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293982485&sr=8-2 

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#62 of 107 Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 AM

We are total nerd-balls, my husband and I.  He's a science teacher whose leisure reading is Science.  Our typical conversation is about an article he's read in there.  We have several microscopes and a telescope.  Mainly we watch documentaries on PBS or Netflix.

Me?  I will read anything.  I go threw jags.  My most recent one was the Afghanistan and Iraq wars.  Now I am listening to what I would call" technical" lectures on the Heart Sutra by His Holiness The Dalai Lama, having just finished his lectures on the meditation chapter in Shantideva's Way of the Bodhisattva.  I'm in deep with buddhism.  Which I don't know if that is nerdy, but it certainly has it's academic side.

I literally can't stand to sit threw a Hollywood movie.  I can barely even sit threw a Discovery Channel or National Geo documentary either .... I really will only watch PBS, preferably NOVA or Frontline.  I am a big reader of the New York Times and the New Yorker magazine.

Oh, and we dress really geeky.  Not intentionally.  My husband often will button his polo shirts to the top.  Yes, I do unbutton them for him.  I wear the same LL Bean clothes.  I just really don't care about clothing.   I wear crooked reading glasses around my neck, etc.

Spare time?  I am the treasurer at our local library.  I'd hate to tell you how many books we take out each month.

:)

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#63 of 107 Old 01-06-2011, 02:46 PM

BTW, would someone please enlighten me:  what is the difference between a geek and nerd??

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#64 of 107 Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subhuti View Post

BTW, would someone please enlighten me:  what is the difference between a geek and nerd??

http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Difference-Between-Nerds-and-Geeks

Scroll down to number five. By these definitions, my hubby and I are nerds and geeks. Nerdwise, we do know  history, art history, natural history and classical music stuff.  He's into programming. I'm into the literature. Geekwise, we also get a bit obsessive about Buffy, Tolkien and some comics.

#65 of 107 Old 01-06-2011, 04:16 PM

Yeah, another hippie nerd. To be completely accurate, I'm not a "nerd parent", yet, but I don't imagine my nerdy ways will change when I reproduce. Loved Magic the Gathering, but I was so late to that party that I always got my butt kicked, played D&D (3rd edition) some in high school and regularly for a few years when we lived in a bigger town. Don't want to watch anything except nature documentaries . . . I occasionally will, but only if someone I trust recommends it. My hubby also likes kung-fu movies of any description, including the ones with horrible dubbing, where you can tell the bad guy by the way he talks, walks, dresses, and by the type of facial hair he has. I can usually remember the scientific name of local plants (and often garden plants) more easily than the common name. When I went to the doctor for a UTI, he asked me if I was a teacher because I "talk like one". I met one of my neighbors after I met her boyfriend, I used a polysyllabic (but still very common) word, and she said that he had "warned" her about my big words. I have to consciously control my urge to correct other people's spelling and grammar because I know it would alienate them. I held off on MMORPG's for years because I knew they would eat my life, but I just started playing Everquest II with my husband and sister, and MAN is it fun. I read biology, evolution, psychology, and light linguistics books for fun (along with nearly any GOOD fiction I can get my hands on). I'm planning to breed my own varieties of vegetables, and started last year. We have a dissecting scope (great because you can look at pond life while it's still alive!) and a microscope. I'm not into most comic books, but I LOVE the sandman series. Ah, I could go on even more, but I don't want to go overboard. Nice to find you, ladies. I have to admit, I might have a hard time relating to a completely non-nerdy kid . . . my DH and I have discusses what our kids would do if they wanted to rebel . . . for my parents it would have been if I was a lesbian cop (for my dad, at least) . . . for us I think it would be an airhead cheerleader . . . and yes, I know that's a horrible stereotype, I have a cousin that loved cheerleading who is also smart and a reasonably good independent thinker.

Anyway, I LOVE nerds, because when you need to get something done, you find a nerd who specializes in that field, and they WILL be able (and excited) to help you. Long live nerds!

I'm not actually sure what the difference is between a nerd and a geek. And I'm a splitter, not a lumper. But someone who is a geek (but not a nerd) could let us know? ETA - oops, posted after going outside for a bit - I see someone helped us out on this. I apparently am also a nerd and a geek, although I think I'm more of a nerd.

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#66 of 107 Old 01-12-2011, 02:01 PM

Oh, I see.  By the wiki definition, we are nerds not geeks.  We are both intellectual-types.  

But ... we both like Star Trek when we were young.    But that doesn't seem to really push us into the geek category.

And I fully agree, nerds tend to fall in love with other nerds.

Btw, loved that there is a Geek Dating site on the wiki page ... :)

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#67 of 107 Old 01-14-2011, 04:22 PM

Oh good, nerds!  My DH and I are nerds/geeks (not sure the diff?) in different ways.  I'm the science nerd (wildlife biologist) and he's a more eclectic nerd.  He comes from a major reading/book family, and is into sci-fi (which I like too), and is a pretty big Star Wars nerd.  Our 2 yr old DD seems to love that, and can not only identify princess Leia, but yoda, bosk, and others I forget about.  We don't have a TV either...just books, and a piano.  Well, obviously a computer, or 'pewter.'  I do have a bit of a thing about spelling and grammar, altho it won't always be perfect here!  And pronunciation!  I'm a major nerd about that I guess.  Our DD is a crazy advanced talker, with incredible pronunciation, altho I highly doubt that is due to anything I'm doing.  More like to all the nursing she has done, developing all those mouth muscles.  

I can't wait to get a dissecting scope!  Thanks for reminding me of that one!  I plan to homeschool on our small farm and do *lots* of outside stuff.  

I never played DnD unfortunately, I was always taught that it was evil stuff, haha!  (glad to not be *there* anymore!)  So I sorta missed the window on that one. 

Glad to meet you all!  

#68 of 107 Old 01-16-2011, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yay nerdy mamas! My husband is a computer programmer and I'm getting my bachelors in biology teaching. In our free time we're either playing video games (He like LOL and we both play WoW), watching shows (heck yes to Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs!), or I quite often read. I absolutely delight in telling my daughter that the rainbow on that puddle is thin film diffraction. :-P

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#69 of 107 Old 01-16-2011, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm more geeky than nerdy, but "hi" anyway.  Yesterday I was at my friend's tattoo shop, waiting for her to get set up and get started on my arm, and mid sentence I saw a 2nd AD&D book on the bookshelf and totally geeked out on her, lol! I have a tattoo of the atari symbol, too...A couple of weeks ago I was psyched to get Kirk's The Nature of Greek Myths on clearance for 3 bucks!  We don't have time for D&D anymore (4 kids, what can I say!) but dh can't bear to let go of his books (he has tons, I don't even know how many).

#70 of 107 Old 01-16-2011, 06:22 PM

Both of us are PhDs/DMAs in the performing arts, me theatre, him music. I remember professor's kids being so delightfully odd when I was in college.... now I am the one raising them this way!

#71 of 107 Old 01-16-2011, 06:29 PM

Yeah, that is pretty much us. I had a friend once swear that when she sends her children over here, they go home with a few extra IQ points.

#72 of 107 Old 01-16-2011, 06:31 PM

I should add that my degree is in math and econ and my husband's is in math and computer science. We home school so math books and science books are all over the place. Our house is clean, but a bit messy. But much of the mess is books! I am not kidding. I do try to keep baskets in rooms that books can nicely sit in, but they always end up all over the floors near beds and shelves or whereever people read them. And at the moment, there are 2 different science experiments in the process in the kitchen.

#73 of 107 Old 01-16-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:

Oh, I see.  By the wiki definition, we are nerds not geeks.  We are both intellectual-types.  

But ... we both like Star Trek when we were young.    But that doesn't seem to really push us into the geek category.

Liz

Maybe it is possible to be a geek when you are comparing the definitions of nerd vs geek and trying to figure out which catagory you fit in? LOL

#74 of 107 Old 01-17-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post

Quote:

Liz

Maybe it is possible to be a geek when you are comparing the definitions of nerd vs geek and trying to figure out which catagory you fit in? LOL

LOL!  No kidding!  

We have art in the dining room and our kitchen table is a perpetual science experiment, intended or not!  Tolerance of mess is part of good parenting in my book.  It took a while for me to get used to, but as long as things are clean and important things (like books) are not lost .... I'm chill.

:)

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#75 of 107 Old 01-17-2011, 03:15 PM

People often say I sound super smart and that my vocabulary is amazing.  I actually don't think I'm that smart or well - spoken, but I do notice that often the easiest way for me to describe things involves using words that some people may not even know ... like "perspicacious!"  It's sometimes the only word that pops into my head and so captures a person's personality.  I do notice that I do, with some people have to simplify what I am saying.  It is a relief when I do not have to edit down for people -- like with my husband, he follows me!

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#76 of 107 Old 02-01-2011, 09:24 PM

Coming back to nerdness here. It's nice to see the thread hopping. DH and I are probably more nerd than geeks, but we have our share of geekiness too. He is probably a bit geekier but that's just because I don't have time with all of my nerdly activities.
I'm happy to report that the nerdling is showing nerdy tendencies already. orngbiggrin.gif He loves looking at books and manipulating objects. We'll see if the trend sticks.

sleepytime.gif
#77 of 107 Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:

People often say I sound super smart and that my vocabulary is amazing.  I actually don't think I'm that smart or well - spoken, but I do notice that often the easiest way for me to describe things involves using words that some people may not even know ... like "perspicacious!"  It's sometimes the only word that pops into my head and so captures a person's personality.  I do notice that I do, with some people have to simplify what I am saying.  It is a relief when I do not have to edit down for people -- like with my husband, he follows me!

I was fond of saying "the baby is fractious" or "our toddler is being persnickety today". I love words... there's one in English for almost everything.

#78 of 107 Old 02-08-2011, 03:41 PM

I agree, I just love our marvelous native tongue!  ;-)

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#79 of 107 Old 02-09-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:

I have a vocabulary book on my nightstand...I <3 words. They're fun, especially when combined with graphic design, etc.

Just need to brag that I've started my c++ class and I understand the material very well so far. I hope this keeps up the rest of the semester because I'm very enthusiastic! As long as multiplayer Medal of Honor doesn't steal too many more of my nights, I think I'll be okay.  whistling.gif

Does anyone else play multiplayer PS3 games? My username on the PS3 network is SincerelyPariah.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gif +  angel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#80 of 107 Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalemma View Post

You just read Nurtureshock. Your Netflix queue is full of documentaries. Maybe you listen to RadioLab.

I did just read Nurtureshock, and I love documentaries.  (I didn't know that made me a nerd, though!)  I'll have to check out RadioLab.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#81 of 107 Old 03-17-2011, 06:17 PM

We had a Pi day party at my house Monday! I think that's pretty nerdy/geeky.
#82 of 107 Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 AM

Years ago, I used to play role playing games.. but after I started having babies I lost the time for it. WELL, my soon to be teenager got a D&D starter kit, and has created a character and wants to play.. so I dusted off my old GURPS character, and went through and made a new person.. we will be trying to find a group to join this summer.. so anyway, I started looking around for some of the supplies he will need (the kit was very basic) and got him a miniature and we are learning how to paint them.. my question is this..

WHY are the miniatures made of LEAD? Is there a company that sells them that doesn't make them from lead? Once we paint them will that make the situation better, and how worried about this should I be?

#83 of 107 Old 03-21-2011, 12:37 PM

I don't know of any company that makes figs out of lead. Did you end up with a really old one? Even 20 years ago when I first started gaming lead-free pewter was the way of things. 

#84 of 107 Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masel View Post

I don't know of any company that makes figs out of lead. Did you end up with a really old one? Even 20 years ago when I first started gaming lead-free pewter was the way of things. 

Actually what I have read is that unless the package is specifically marked lead free, then it has lead. All the Reaper brand ones even have a California marking on them about material safety.. (I don't recall what it said exactly but it was about legislation numbers). They are all also specifically marked "not a toy."

They all arrived yesterday. My son's ended up being Valient brand (made in teh USA) It said specifically lead free on it. All the other ones were Reaper brand and were not marked that way.

I did find an article though that said the biggest concern is when they are being filed down and to make sure the area is well cleaned after and not to use any of the tools for other things.. and that once they are painted they are considered "sealed" so the lead is a concern, but it seems to me that once I have painted all the figures then we should be ok.

http://miniatures.about.com/od/materialsforminiatures/a/workingwithlead.htm

I didn't see a year on the article, though.

#85 of 107 Old 03-22-2011, 08:45 PM

You guys! I am rolling through these posts thinking, "wow, you are cool not nerdy"

Soooo, I guess that makes me a nerd too!

Our favorite pastimes are Doc Who, BBC of any kind really, Science Friday, Wait Wait don't tell me.

DH obsesses over coffee. No one gets it. He is totally cool and knows all about making the best espresso and most delicious cappuccinos. We drink these while playing scrabble or listening to TMBG's, or watching Antique Roadhouse. We also take turns with Rosetta Stone and quiz one another with complete sentences. 

We can never find friends because we are just so much cooler. (jk)

Hmmm, not the case. It is more like so much nerdier!

Excuse my over-excitement. But this is fun!

treestar likes this.

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
#86 of 107 Old 05-09-2011, 12:50 PM

Yay a nerd parents tribe orngbiggrin.gif
#87 of 107 Old 05-16-2011, 12:40 AM

Did someone mention Dr. Who? SUBSCRIBED!

Wait... Can I start a nerd parents play group?!?! Please let some of you geeks be from So. Cali, the OC to be exact...

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#88 of 107 Old 08-09-2011, 07:14 PM

Yes! I would also love to meet more geek/nerd parents.  We're about to be moving to DC/NOVA.  Any of you over there?

Husband is a nuclear engineer, I'm (formerly) a museum collections manager, now SAHM.  Together we are history/gamer/science/music/sci-fi/fantasy/art/nature....you name it geeks. 

Anyone here buy/listen to Teaching Company lectures?  How about the old BBC series Connections?

#89 of 107 Old 08-09-2011, 07:23 PM

Not a mama yet, but just popping in to say DH and I are near NOVA. We're both librarians and love Doctor Who. I think we're more on the geek side of things, but I just wanted to say wave.gif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay-at-om-mom View Post

Yes! I would also love to meet more geek/nerd parents.  We're about to be moving to DC/NOVA.  Any of you over there?

Husband is a nuclear engineer, I'm (formerly) a museum collections manager, now SAHM.  Together we are history/gamer/science/music/sci-fi/fantasy/art/nature....you name it geeks. 

Anyone here buy/listen to Teaching Company lectures?  How about the old BBC series Connections?

#90 of 107 Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 AM

I am definitely a nerd. I asked for a microscope for my 8th birthday.

Let's see... The ringtone on my cell phone is the Monty Python's Flying Circus theme song. All of the children's books I own are in Latin. I play WoW. Back when we had cable, I got the more expensive package, just so we could get the Science channel. I think it's the only one we ever watched. Now, we just watch documentaries and Ancient Aliens on Netflix.

I'm more of a science nerd. My husband is more of a history and outdoors-y/survivalist type nerd. 

We are very close to DC/NOVA, too! smile.gif

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page