Siman Tov, U'Mazel Tov!...Jewish Mama's Tribe is back! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 80 Old 12-15-2010, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikva18 View Post

Somehow I keep getting unsubbed from everything mothering... Anyway, here I am.  :)

LOL, me too....

Hi there mamas :)

#62 of 80 Old 12-16-2010, 09:28 AM

hi! glad to see this thread .... 

for the pp looking for an inexpensive siddur, i'll give a shout out for the koren-sacks siddur. it's orthodox, but i think might also be accessible to many who identify as cons/recon (i love love love the translations, and the commentary is quite different than what you'd find in artscroll, for example).  i got the personal UK version on amazon for about 10 €. it is so nice to have a tiny and complete siddur.

hi!

#63 of 80 Old 12-28-2010, 04:08 PM

Subbing :)

Mama to my sweet boy O  age 4; baby girl lost at 13 wks, July '14 ~ I'm a nerdy, treehugging, polytheist lady and a professional herbalist.   Three candles that illume every darkness: Truth, Nature, Knowledge. - Triads of Ireland 
#64 of 80 Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 AM

I was wondering if any of you mamas might have, or know where I could find, a pattern - or book of patterns - for knitting or crocheting kippa. I'm particularly looking to make a frik for a 3-5 year old. Thank you so much for your help!

#65 of 80 Old 01-03-2011, 02:19 PM

wave.gif

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#66 of 80 Old 01-04-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpernickel View Post

I was wondering if any of you mamas might have, or know where I could find, a pattern - or book of patterns - for knitting or crocheting kippa. I'm particularly looking to make a frik for a 3-5 year old. Thank you so much for your help!

I haven't  made one, but some of the toddler crocheted hats look like those kippot. Have you looked on ravelry?

#67 of 80 Old 01-04-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpernickel View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Yarmulka-Design-Wolbrom/dp/1880582171

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#68 of 80 Old 01-25-2011, 08:37 PM

that is a great book. the patterns turn out so nicely.

#69 of 80 Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 PM

Just checking in to say Be Happy, it's Adar!

I've not really been on MDC since the Yiddishe Mama's tribe was moved. I shouldn't be here now since I'm up to my eyelids in schoolwork. We finally sold our house and moved back into the city (to a two bedroom apt. BLEH)- but we are six blocks from Dd #1's  school and  Dd#2 will be going to preschool there in the fall. 

Miriam

#70 of 80 Old 02-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Hi everyone!!! I thought I posted here way back when but apparently I didn't. I will try to keep up with this board but I forget to come back sometimes.

What's everyone doing for Purim? any MM themes or costume themes? We haven't decided yet.

Melanie wife and mama
#71 of 80 Old 06-24-2011, 01:15 PM

Hello everyone! This is my first post, and I thought it might be a good place to post this (and if not please point me in the right direction) as I am really seeking to find a "tribe"! This is a message I wrote about seeking a community to live in, I guess it'd be easiest just to paste it here...

Seeking a Jewish Community… We are a family with children seeking an agricultural/permaculture/smallholding type of Jewish community. We decided long ago that the 9 to 5, work-a-day, suburban world is not the way we want to live. We want to raise our children (and ourselves!) on the land. We have looked into many communities, but have not yet found a fit. We have realized that we need to be seeking a community with a shared spiritual path. We plan to build our own home, have the family dairy cow, grow our food. We would like to share this lifestyle with others. We've made up a list of skills and abilities that we possess and want to be able to use to the benefit of a community... stone masonry stone carving wood carving blacksmithing growing and using herbs making medicinal tinctures growing fruits, vegetables, etc. leatherworking sewing pottery tending livestock teaching children We have an avid love of learning, especially old trades. Both of us constantly study, whether it's philosophy, spirituality, history, art, geography, sustainable living (gardening, building, power, etc.), almost anything we can get our hands on. Our homesteading/ sustainable living hero is John Seymour. We will go anywhere in the country for the right fit. I’m sure there is much, much more you would like to know about us, so please ask away!!!

Thank you for reading, and please let me know if there is a more appropriate place for this.

#72 of 80 Old 06-24-2011, 02:04 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#73 of 80 Old 06-25-2011, 10:01 AM

Yes, very much like a kibbutz I suppose. Any ideas?

#74 of 80 Old 03-10-2013, 10:46 AM

Hello! Is anyone still here? I am new! My name is Liba Miriam , mother to three!
#75 of 80 Old 03-10-2013, 12:07 PM

Hi,

I'm mama to w, ages 13 and 11.

#76 of 80 Old 03-10-2013, 01:35 PM

Lovely to meet you!
I've signed up to mothering because I have lots of things on my mind that my non Jewish friends don't understand fully, so I'm here hoping for advice and friendship! smile.gif We live in the UK .
#77 of 80 Old 03-12-2013, 03:37 PM

great.  well, I too, sometimes have Jewish Mama things that are not so mainstream.  Good to know I can come here with that!

#78 of 80 Old 03-12-2013, 06:22 PM

I am looking for advice. I am not Jewish, I have a client who is and she recently gave birth to a baby girl. This is not her first child so I think she has plenty of kid stuff. I was wondering what would be an appropriate gift to send her. Our relationship is one of personal trainer and client so we know each other well but not intimately, e.g. I've never met her family but I hear stories about them all the time.

Would love to get some input. Thank you.

Now that I am a mom I no longer have time for knit.gif,teapot2.GIF,read.gif
#79 of 80 Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 AM

you could look at a source like this:

http://www.moderntribe.com/judaica/gift_ideas/for_baby

all depends on how observant they are, how into their religion, or not, they are.  but that link might give you some ideas.  or you could just buy a non-Jewish related gift.  Same as you probably would a Christian friend.

#80 of 80 Old 03-13-2013, 11:54 AM

Thanks for your input! I ended up sending customized cookies from William Greenberg Desserts, a kosher bakery in NYC where she is from originally.

Now that I am a mom I no longer have time for knit.gif,teapot2.GIF,read.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page