Military Moms: Sept/Oct 2010 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 263 Old 10-22-2010, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

phone call this morning. rarely is it good when he calls me from work. this was the second worst from-work call yet. Worst was when he told me he was deploying to Kuwait and Iraq.

This time its a ship somewhere in the pacific... for the first half of next year.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#242 of 263 Old 10-22-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Have a good trip tomorrow, MK!

I'm sorry MK.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#243 of 263 Old 10-23-2010, 12:20 AM

Thanks ladies! I will let you know when we get in and get settled.

Yorktown is awesome. I didn't live there, but we tried to! We really enjoyed that area.

MP- I am so sorry... here starts the roller coaster of emotions. It seems like everyone I know is getting orders on a ship in the Pacific or stationed in Korea. I know we are trying to make our presence known and I have a feeling that is where the next war is going to take place when their leader dies and his son(right?) takes over. Seems like the military is preparing for some issues out that way.

DH is most likely going to be stationed in Korea. We will know in the next few months what the game plan is exactly.

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

#244 of 263 Old 10-23-2010, 01:40 AM

south korea is one of the destinations he mentioned, as well as japan, Australia and Thailand.

if it weren't for the fact that this is his job, i would be seriously jealous. We wanted our first trip to Australia to be together.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#245 of 263 Old 10-23-2010, 07:19 AM

Welp... officially leaving!!! This means, being with DH is only 15.5 hours away. Yeahhhhhhhhh

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

#246 of 263 Old 10-23-2010, 01:26 PM

Safe travels, MK! Please update us when you arrive in Augusta. I hope the weather cooperates for you.

MP: Sorry to hear about the orders . Your DH's cruise sounds like an adventure. Perhaps you'll be able to arrange to meet him at one of the stops?? Kinda pricey, unless Space A travel is possible. Anyhow, I know how tough it is to be without a DH while caring for small children. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#247 of 263 Old 10-24-2010, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post

phone call this morning. rarely is it good when he calls me from work. this was the second worst from-work call yet. Worst was when he told me he was deploying to Kuwait and Iraq.

This time its a ship somewhere in the pacific... for the first half of next year.

I really should check here more often. DH left last night for NTC. I feel like such a wimp because I've never spent such a long time by myself. Last deployment I was living with my parents. I hope the baby stays put so DH doesn't miss the birth. Of course then once he comes home I'm going to be anxious for him to come out so DH can spend some time with him before deployment. Its hard to imagine he'll be walking before DH comes back home.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#248 of 263 Old 10-25-2010, 08:06 PM

I don't know if anyone's had any experience with this... but DH just left for a 6 month deployment to Qatar. Upon arrival, he learns that the already slow (as in not much work to do) shop is going to have 2 more people on this rotation than the last one. Any hope of him getting sent home? I'm talking slow as in private laptops are allowed in the shop at slow times to play WoW and talk on Skype.

I know of one friend's DH that got sent home from a deployment because they didn't need him, but I never heard any details.

You'd think if they pick anyone, it would be the guy with a pregnant wife about to give birth...

Doula and SAHM to Xander (4) and Lorelei (1.5). EC gave me courage to CD! Our children are intact. Our surprise 1st bio baby due Dec 2010!
#249 of 263 Old 10-25-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeering View Post
I don't know if anyone's had any experience with this... but DH just left for a 6 month deployment to Qatar. Upon arrival, he learns that the already slow (as in not much work to do) shop is going to have 2 more people on this rotation than the last one. Any hope of him getting sent home? I'm talking slow as in private laptops are allowed in the shop at slow times to play WoW and talk on Skype.

I know of one friend's DH that got sent home from a deployment because they didn't need him, but I never heard any details.

You'd think if they pick anyone, it would be the guy with a pregnant wife about to give birth...
that's exactly what happened to my dh. He got to Afghanistan, and found out they didn't need him and he wasn't supposed to be there. So he was there about 2.5 months then got sent home.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#250 of 263 Old 10-25-2010, 08:33 PM

We're leaving our girls with my parents for a week. Does anyone know what we need to do/leave with them in order for my parents to get them medical care if necessary?

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#251 of 263 Old 10-25-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagin37 View Post
that's exactly what happened to my dh. He got to Afghanistan, and found out they didn't need him and he wasn't supposed to be there. So he was there about 2.5 months then got sent home.
Thanks for giving me some hope!

Anytime less than his 6 months would be great.

I emailed the commander's wife to thank her for calling and checking on me, and while I was at it, I mentioned how silly it seems to have him there when there's no work to do... not in so many words, but you know.

I'll be praying...

Doula and SAHM to Xander (4) and Lorelei (1.5). EC gave me courage to CD! Our children are intact. Our surprise 1st bio baby due Dec 2010!
#252 of 263 Old 10-25-2010, 09:20 PM

hdeering hubby says its possible... but depends more on what they are forecasting for that position than what is going on right now

#253 of 263 Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 PM

Possible is good. And this is the Air Force....

He's in computers. Really, not an essential thing to have tons of guys on in such an established location. It's just dumb, really. But we'll see.

#254 of 263 Old 10-26-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
We're leaving our girls with my parents for a week. Does anyone know what we need to do/leave with them in order for my parents to get them medical care if necessary?
I would suggest getting a medical power of attorney from JAG. Attach a copy of one of your IDs (which your parents will need if they take the girls to a medical facility for treatment). Make sure they understand that the PCM must be notified within 24 hours if your DDs receive emergency medical care at a facility other than their MTF (or PCMs office). Have fun on your trip!

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#255 of 263 Old 10-31-2010, 12:26 AM

Well we made it to GA and being a family again is wonderful!! 4 months apart really didn't do any "damage" to us. We seemed to have blended back together perfectly (kids included) I'm thanking my lucky stars for that one!!

However, we have one problem. We are living on post (have to) and our place is infested with roaches!!!! Seriously! The property management doesn't seem to be in any hurry to fix this. I mean... what can we do when they don't seem to care?

#256 of 263 Old 10-31-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

You may need to bomb it yourself. We had ants one time and I was 39 weeks pregnant with a toddler and had to do it. Eventually they did come out after I pleaded with them but not after I did it. Maybe tell them you have very small children and cannot live in the home safely unless they have a professional exterminator come, otherwise they need to provide you with safe housing. There are ways to file formal complaints, it should be in the contract you signed.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#257 of 263 Old 10-31-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKitten21 View Post
Well we made it to GA and being a family again is wonderful!! 4 months apart really didn't do any "damage" to us. We seemed to have blended back together perfectly (kids included) I'm thanking my lucky stars for that one!!

However, we have one problem. We are living on post (have to) and our place is infested with roaches!!!! Seriously! The property management doesn't seem to be in any hurry to fix this. I mean... what can we do when they don't seem to care?
We had the same problem at Gordon. Are they the big flying cockroaches, or the smaller, indoor variety? What often happened while we were there is that housing would bomb one house, so the roaches would just take up residence at the next house. Yuck. My best suggestion with that particular housing agency is to be a squeaky wheel - call the maintenance line every day until someone comes out to spray for roaches. Give it a week. If nothing happens, have your DH mention it to his 1SG, then let it go up the chain of command. You can also ICE the housing agency yourself.

Glad to hear that all is well with you and your family. Congrats on surviving the move!

#258 of 263 Old 10-31-2010, 01:54 PM

Question for you all..

Now that you've been living the military lifestyle for awhile, do you find that you get the "PCS itch" about two years after living at a particular duty station? We've been at Lewis for almost two years now, and I'm already looking at housing for our next move (Ft. Huachuca for MI Captain's Career Course). Am I crazy? I suppose it comes from living in the same little town for the first 16 years of my life, and having a bit of wanderlust as a result. I especially think I'm a little batty because I'm 37w3d pregnant with DS #5, and shouldn't even be devoting an ounce of brain power to the idea of PCS-ing .

#259 of 263 Old 10-31-2010, 03:18 PM

re: the roaches

my mom had a horrible problem with them in navy housing in S.D.

they ended up moving with our family into our new home back in illinois and it took them YEARS to finally get rid of them (bombing, sprays, nothing completely worked)

i will find out from her what finally did it.

#260 of 263 Old 10-31-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul-O View Post
Question for you all..

Now that you've been living the military lifestyle for awhile, do you find that you get the "PCS itch" about two years after living at a particular duty station? We've been at Lewis for almost two years now, and I'm already looking at housing for our next move (Ft. Huachuca for MI Captain's Career Course). Am I crazy? I suppose it comes from living in the same little town for the first 16 years of my life, and having a bit of wanderlust as a result. I especially think I'm a little batty because I'm 37w3d pregnant with DS #5, and shouldn't even be devoting an ounce of brain power to the idea of PCS-ing .
I'm the same way. It has a lot to do with the fact that I'm a planner and I have this crazy idea in my head that if I plan and know what to expect it'll decrease some of the stress and anxiety, though I don't know if it ever does. I think you do just get used to moving after a while, we're naturally nomadic people and places do get boring after a while and it's fun to see new places out there. I don't think we've ever found a place that feels like home yet, either.

#261 of 263 Old 10-31-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Question for you all..

I've never lived any place more than four years in my entire life (I was a child of hippies, then a humanitarian bohemian sort, finally military) and my average is 1.75 years in one town. I do get itchy feet! But I want my kids to have more stability so we're hoping to move around Germany for a while now so we can get them in the schools and such.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#262 of 263 Old 11-01-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Question for you all..

Depends on where we are. I didn't want to leave our last assignment AT ALL, and we had asked for an extension right when we found out that Huz got into the school program he's doing now. Bleh. It was the right thing to do for his career, but hard for both of us to leave.

Our next move will be this year--June?--and we won't have orders until mid-February. Is it just the Coast Guard that does it this way? It drives me crazy to be thinking all winter about where we'll be. It's hard not knowing, because I'd like to plan. Plus this time we'll have to rent our house here, which will be a whole new experience.

Soul-O, how's the pregnancy going? It's November already, can you believe it?

#263 of 263 Old 11-01-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

New thread for November and December

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page