Military Moms: Jan/Feb 2011 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 81 Old 02-15-2011, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Kourtney, I'm so sorry about your loss. Wish I could send more comfort your way. hug2.gif

Adorkable, that is a huge relief.  Hopefully the command gives your DH a chance to work through things and then make the best decision for your family.

As for us, we are still waiting for orders, but are unofficially penciled in for Yorktown, VA.  I can't remember what the job was.  Assistant comptroller-something?  I don't know.  Doesn't really matter anyway!   Has anyone lived in that area or Ft. Eustis?  He would be working at the CG Training Center off 17 & Moore House Rd.  I'm really nervous about this next move because DD will probably be going to school while we're there (pre-k and k, maybe).  My biggest concerns are where/what medical I'll have b/c I'd like to have another baby during the next 4 years, and then the school districts.  Anything else I should make a top priority? 

#62 of 81 Old 02-15-2011, 09:57 AM

Kate: I haven't lived in that area, but my BIL (CG) is going to school there right now!  The TLF on Langley is awesome.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#63 of 81 Old 02-17-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

As for us, we are still waiting for orders, but are unofficially penciled in for Yorktown, VA.  I can't remember what the job was.  Assistant comptroller-something?  I don't know.  Doesn't really matter anyway!   Has anyone lived in that area or Ft. Eustis?  He would be working at the CG Training Center off 17 & Moore House Rd.  I'm really nervous about this next move because DD will probably be going to school while we're there (pre-k and k, maybe).  My biggest concerns are where/what medical I'll have b/c I'd like to have another baby during the next 4 years, and then the school districts.  Anything else I should make a top priority? 

I'm a retired AF wife (as of October 2010), but I still occasionally lurk on this thread.  DH is now a civilian GS at Scott AFB in Illinois.

Kate ~ DH's brother and one of his sisters both live in Yorktown with their families.  I know they have both been very pleased with the schools there.  My niece and nephew started kindergarten there and are now in 5th and 3rd grades.  My other two nieces went to middle school and high school there and both went to good colleges (UVA and Old Dominion).  Both BIL and SIL have had nothing but good things to say about Yorktown schools.  Good luck with your move!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#64 of 81 Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 AM

Good to know, thanks!

For those who delay vaxes, do you know if Tricare pays for the blood titer tests?

#65 of 81 Old 02-18-2011, 03:08 PM

Hi.  Sorry I don't post much on here but thought I'd pop in. My husband graduates AIT in a couple weeks and we have orders for Yongsan.  Anyone been to Korea?  Any advice? Anyone done a 15 hour plane ride with a 15 month old? I'd love some advice on that one. 

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#66 of 81 Old 02-21-2011, 07:38 PM

wave.gif Hi ladies, can I join the party? Navy wife, and mama of 6 here. We are in Hampton Roads area. My husband has been in for 4 years and just reenlisted for another 4. I have mixed feelings on this but mostly good most days ;)

JustKate, will the ped order it, I am under the impression what ever is put on paper by the dr is approved 99.9% of the time.

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
#67 of 81 Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 PM

Hi there! Just popping in to say "HI" again. I've been on this forum a few times... then I had a baby, and then DH left for several weeks. I'm hoping I can get into a groove and participate is this thread more!

Mommyofalmost6, How do you like the Hampton Roads area? We're getting ready to move to Newport News!

#68 of 81 Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 PM

I am a military member as well as my husband, so here is my suggestion. Contact DFAS directly by phone and request copies of your LES's and W-2's for those dates as well as any other statements.  It should have been on the LES as other pay unless they produced it from another department.  I know whenever we do a DITY move we always have a second W-2 statement with that information and it arrives later than the usual W-2's.  I had to request copies of our W-2's from 2007 recently and we received them within 10 days.  Your husband will need to contact them because the statement is in his name. Good luck, Jennifer

Mother of 3: 1 C-section 6/06; 2 HBAC's 12/08 & 10/10 h20homebirth.gifjumpers.gifhomeschool.gifgoorganic.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif
#69 of 81 Old 02-22-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madis81 View Post

Hi there! Just popping in to say "HI" again. I've been on this forum a few times... then I had a baby, and then DH left for several weeks. I'm hoping I can get into a groove and participate is this thread more!

Mommyofalmost6, How do you like the Hampton Roads area? We're getting ready to move to Newport News!

Honestly we really do love it! Its so family friendly and so much to do and see. We are getting ready to start homescooling our little crew and are so excited about all the history around us. And the beach, ooo how I have come to love the beach lol. I have only been to Newport a few times as we live on the other side of the tunnel in VaBeach. It was nice over there though!  Congrats on the baby :)

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
#70 of 81 Old 02-22-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommyofalmost6 View Post

wave.gif Hi ladies, can I join the party? Navy wife, and mama of 6 here. We are in Hampton Roads area. My husband has been in for 4 years and just reenlisted for another 4. I have mixed feelings on this but mostly good most days ;)

JustKate, will the ped order it, I am under the impression what ever is put on paper by the dr is approved 99.9% of the time.

Hi there! We saw the doc yesterday, and she said "oh, we don't do that for these (Dtap, IPV), they're just on a schedule." duh.gif  So we are going to wait a little longer.  Her daycare doesn't care, and I'm satisfied with what she's had so far.  Hopefully we'll find a more flexible ped the next time we move.

Did you happen to have any of your children there in Hampton Roads?  We're penciled in to Yorktown for now, and expecting to live in Gloucester or Williamsburg.... I'd like to have a baby while we're there.  Obviously this is waaay early, but any information would be great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by madis81 View Post

Congrats on the baby!  Are you moving this summer?  We're going to be neighbors!

remijo, where in MD are you?  I grew up there--Charles County.  I know there are some military wives in Korea here on MDC, but I haven't seen anyone post on this thread recently.  That's a big move...I don't envy you one bit.  When will you be moving?

MM, good to hear about the TLF on Langley.  I think we'll probably find a temporary place to stay until we find a good rental.  I really like to get the feel of a place before jumping into a lease.  Hopefully we'll be moving in May and we'll be ahead of the rush.

#71 of 81 Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 AM

I actually have not had a baby here yet.... we shall see though :) I do recomend staying away from the military hospital up here and look in to the birth centers and I have heard some good things about a lot of midwives around here. So there is hope for a good experience!

I know Navy housing up here is done by Lincoln which has been fab for us and has some awesome housing up that way. Might be worth looking in to?

I know the Aquarium, Botanical garden and the Zoo do discounts for military. The zoo has a membership for $75 for the military family.

Maybe wait till you get here and ask for the test to be done? I have had great luck with our drs so I hope you have the same!

#72 of 81 Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:

remijo, where in MD are you?  I grew up there--Charles County.  I know there are some military wives in Korea here on MDC, but I haven't seen anyone post on this thread recently.  That's a big move...I don't envy you one bit.  When will you be moving?

We are in Fort Meade right now.  Its been ok and we thought we'd be here the whole four years but I'm excited to be traveling, its one of the reasons we joined.  The paperwork is a headache and I will be happy and relaxed when I have plane tickets in hand but not before then. There's all this talk that command sponsorship is so hard to get and they are very packed over there with families so I'm hoping, hoping that we are not one of the families that doesn't get sponsored. DH has orders to report May 6. 

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#73 of 81 Old 02-22-2011, 08:44 PM

Justkate, we move in 2 weeks! And it realy sucks right now, because DH isn't home and we've all been sick. It started w/ the flu, and then my oldest 2 had/has pneumonia and I have bronchitis. My baby has managed to not get that ill. . . the power of breastmilk antibodies!

#74 of 81 Old 02-23-2011, 04:44 AM

Hello all,

I am a Military Wife, living in Wiesbaden, Germany...but moving to Ansbach this Summer.  We have an 11 year old daughter (Mya) and 16 month old son (Oliver)  They are both Halloween babies, born ten years apart.

We are trying to decide when we want to TTC our next baby, but think we have decided that holding off trying until a couple months before he deploys will be the best bet....that gives us over a year, and I am getting antsy, but he was home for the birth last time and deployed when Oliver was 5 months old...came back when he was almost 14 months old.  He doesn't want to miss that age again...so hopefully he can come home for the birth ( I know that it might not happen) and he will be home for the age he missed out on this time.

I also hope that I can do a homebirth for our next (and last) baby.

Oh, we also have a babywearing group we started here in Wiesbaden, Mya was breastfeed until just before she turned three and we Oliver is not stopping anytime soon.   We cloth diaper...bedshare a little, although...if I am honest...after a deployment, I like alone time in bed with my husband...so we are working on sleep issues   O seems to sleep better in his crib anyway....

I think that is all for now.   Oh, I am originally from Vermont....Mya was born there and Oliver was born in Augusta, GA (Fort Gordon)  We moved here when he was 2.5 months old :D

#75 of 81 Old 02-23-2011, 06:39 AM

I need a little tricare guidance for some more btdt mamas.  We're pcsing to a different tricare region in a month (going from north to south) and I will be about 37weeks pregnant  bigeyes.gif  There's not an MTF, and I have Prime.  All the Prime folks here where we are now are seen at the MTF, I have never had to go somewhere off base for my care.  I don't know how it works.  I'm trying to find out what I need to do to make sure I get some prenatal care those last few weeks.  Will I have to see my new PCM and get a referral to someone off base first?  The clinic offers basic gyn care, but not prenatal (found this out on their website).  Should I try to call tricare and find out?  Do I contact my current tricare region, or the one I'll be moving to?  I do have some contact info for a civilian practice that I would like to go to, are they who I need to talk to?  I'm so lost and confused, I don't really even know where to start.  I know I could just show up at the hospital in labor and they wouldn't turn me away, but I'd like to try to get in to see someone at least once or twice before I deliver.  Everything about this move is turning out to be beyond stressful.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#76 of 81 Old 02-23-2011, 06:54 AM

Awww hun that stress is not what you need right now!! I would call the office you want to use and talk to them about setting up an appt and having your records trasfred there as long as they take prime. Which if you are not near a MTF then I am sure they do. I would also call tricare South and talk to them and make sure you have all your ducks in a row so to speak. The few times I have had to call tricare offices it hasnt been to bad. I am not sure you would have to get a referal but you might whichis why I would call and ask. They can be picky sometimes ;) Good luck mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagin37 View Post

I need a little tricare guidance for some more btdt mamas.  We're pcsing to a different tricare region in a month (going from north to south) and I will be about 37weeks pregnant  bigeyes.gif  There's not an MTF, and I have Prime.  All the Prime folks here where we are now are seen at the MTF, I have never had to go somewhere off base for my care.  I don't know how it works.  I'm trying to find out what I need to do to make sure I get some prenatal care those last few weeks.  Will I have to see my new PCM and get a referral to someone off base first?  The clinic offers basic gyn care, but not prenatal (found this out on their website).  Should I try to call tricare and find out?  Do I contact my current tricare region, or the one I'll be moving to?  I do have some contact info for a civilian practice that I would like to go to, are they who I need to talk to?  I'm so lost and confused, I don't really even know where to start.  I know I could just show up at the hospital in labor and they wouldn't turn me away, but I'd like to try to get in to see someone at least once or twice before I deliver.  Everything about this move is turning out to be beyond stressful.

#77 of 81 Old 02-24-2011, 01:55 PM

Mommyofalmost6 and madis81

I'm so glad to "meet" you two!  We'll be PCSing to Yorktown in May. Right now we're on Prime Remote seeing civilians, so I'm unsure of what to do when we move.  I'd like to have a baby in 2012, so ideally I'd find a midwife.... My understanding is that the MTFs are pretty full, so there's a possiblity that they will kick you out to the civilian world even on Prime.  That would be great! Otherwise I'll probably look at going Standard once the pg happens. DD turned two this month, and I'm going to be a SAHM for a year or so, so I'll be interested in any activities/playgroups you reccommend.

gagin37, When we were in Key West, it was that way.  It was awesome.  We stayed Prime, technically, but I saw civilians (a midwife group!) for my maternity/birth/postpartum care. It's the best of both worlds--FREE and you pick your provider.  IME in heavy military areas w/o maternity care, the OB/GYNs/Midwives accept Tricare.  I didn't need a referral--when you switch regions, they'll know that there is no maternity care available and ask you for the name of the person you want to be your PCM.  It can be anyone that takes Prime. Super stressful that you're dealing with this, but it could work out really well for you.  If i were you, I would call the provider you like and confirm that they take Tricare Prime, and that they'll take you at 37 weeks.  Then when it's time to switch regions, give their name, and ask tricare if there's anything else they need from you.  If you happen to be going to Key West, let me know!

Doodler, welcome! That's amazing that you had two Halloween babies.  My best friend just moved to Germany (5 mos. pg with twins!) and I get the feeling that she feels a little isolated.  Is it difficult to get by if you don't speak German?  She's in Otterbach and her DH works on a military base near there.

#78 of 81 Old 02-26-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
gagin37, When we were in Key West, it was that way.  It was awesome.  We stayed Prime, technically, but I saw civilians (a midwife group!) for my maternity/birth/postpartum care.

Yep! Who did you see in Key West? I was at Dr. Ward's practice w/ her midwives.

#79 of 81 Old 02-27-2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks, I think that's what I'll do.  I'm going to call the provider's office tomorrow, and see what they say.  One more thing in the looooong list of stuff to do.  We're going to Robins AFB, in GA.  Did I mention dh has decided we're going to do a DITY move?  At 37weeks pregnant.  Ug.  And we're trying to remodel a bunch of stuff in our house in hopes of catching a buyer, cause no way can we manage 2 mortgage payments for very long.  I'm so over it all right now.  I want to be nesting and getting ready for my baby girl, not painting ceilings in a house I'm about to move out of. 

Quote:

gagin37, When we were in Key West, it was that way.  It was awesome.  We stayed Prime, technically, but I saw civilians (a midwife group!) for my maternity/birth/postpartum care. It's the best of both worlds--FREE and you pick your provider.  IME in heavy military areas w/o maternity care, the OB/GYNs/Midwives accept Tricare.  I didn't need a referral--when you switch regions, they'll know that there is no maternity care available and ask you for the name of the person you want to be your PCM.  It can be anyone that takes Prime. Super stressful that you're dealing with this, but it could work out really well for you.  If i were you, I would call the provider you like and confirm that they take Tricare Prime, and that they'll take you at 37 weeks.  Then when it's time to switch regions, give their name, and ask tricare if there's anything else they need from you.  If you happen to be going to Key West, let me know!

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#80 of 81 Old 02-28-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post

Yep! Who did you see in Key West? I was at Dr. Ward's practice w/ her midwives.

Dr. Ward and Beth.  Amy left when I was about 36 weeks. Even though it was the weekend and Beth wasn't on call, she just "happened" to be there when I got to the hosptial.  The birth itself ended up being pretty traumatic--c-section, transfer to the NICU in miami via helicopter--but I KNOW Beth did everything she could to help me have a natural birth--she cried with me when DD's heart rate got high and they started talking section.  I would birth with her again if I had the chance, and I recommend her to everyone.  happytears.gif

#81 of 81 Old 03-01-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

New thread!!!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page