Military Moms: Jan/Feb 2011 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 81 Old 01-01-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Happy New Year! May we all have a blessed and bountiful year ahead! 

Congratulations are in order for Adorkable!joy.gif

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#2 of 81 Old 01-01-2011, 05:37 PM

on that note (thanks love.gif)

my little girl and boy were born on December 27th at 6:30am and 6:44am weighing 5lbs3oz and 5lbs10oz respectively.

They were right at 36 weeks gestation and were wonderfully healthy. (both had Apgar scores of 8 then 9 and their 1 and 5 min checks)

Everyone is tucked in safe and sound at home learning life together. We ended up at the hospital at 7cm dilated, something in my felt i was supposed to be there, which was a big deal for me since i had really felt i would never want that, but i found out once i got there that my BP had shot thru the roof and i was spilling tons of protein and my liver panel was off the charts, after never showing a single sign of it i developed a really rapid and sever case of Eclampsia or something, I'm glad that it got taken care of, though the help for that cause a chain of other issues which stalled my up till them really impressive labor. i spent 24 hours in the L&D before finally getting from that 7 to 10 and finally having a wonderful really amazing vaginal birth.

I'm still on BP medication and feeling good.

Babies and I are home after close to 4 days of getting watched, but no NICU!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#3 of 81 Old 01-01-2011, 09:31 PM

wave.gif Can I join??? I'm not a military momma yet but my DF is army and we are going to be married sumtime before june..Im new to all this military stuff so I figured this would be a good place for help support... we are in alaska right now but in july we have to move to ft. lewis WA.

#4 of 81 Old 01-02-2011, 09:22 AM

Congrats Adorkable!!! What beautiful little babies they are! :)

Sorry I haven't posted much... been keeping to myself lately and really been busy at the same time....and ummmm have an announcement....

I took a pregnancy test and the faintest little line appeared.... This means (if my calculations are right!) When this baby comes, I will have a 3 year old, a 15 months old, and a newborn.... Lord help me! haha!!

We were not trying.... but we weren't really actively preventing.... well, sort of heh. So this is just kind of a huge shock for us both. Especially since we will be PCSing in the spring or summer and no clue where we are going (rumor has it Korea) so I'm just trying to take this all in now :)

And of course you can join RaeRae!! Welcome to the military wife life!! It's a wonderful journey!!

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

#5 of 81 Old 01-02-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so happy for you Adorkable and glad all went well and you and the babies are home and healthy. Enjoy your babymoon!!!

Welcome RaeRae!!!

Kourtney - Congratulations! You will do great, having already had little ones close together you know what to expect. 

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#6 of 81 Old 01-03-2011, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the welcomes mamas! So I hvae a qeustion maybe you ladies can help me with... I have a son from a previous relationship... his father has givin up all rights to him... It should be no problem for my fiance to adopt him now right?

#7 of 81 Old 01-04-2011, 03:40 AM

Hey RaeRae ..... I would recommend waiting until you get married before you pursue the adoption. You probably will get better advice in the blended and step family forum since it's not really a military issue :) As far as the military is concerned, your son would be one of his dependents. Hope that helps a little!

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

#8 of 81 Old 01-04-2011, 04:20 PM

Congrats on the new babes Adorkable!  They are so beautiful!  

Not too much new with us.  We're slowly getting ready for our move in April.  We're trying to get our house listed this week.  I'm going through closets, trying to get a little more organized before I get too hugely pregnant and tired to do it.  

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#9 of 81 Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 PM

Adorkable: Congrats!  What beautiful babies!

We finally got those orders, and yes, they are for Cherry Point.  joy.gif  Only problem is, a move isn't authorized.  DH is working on that & thinks he's got a good chance of getting it funded.  We'll move whether the military pays for it or not, but gosh it would be nice to have that $$.  We're listing our house on Friday, so this week has been busy, busy, busy with pre-packing & cleaning for staging!  And we got our loan pre-approval so we'll start really looking for a new place after we get this one on the market.  

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#10 of 81 Old 01-07-2011, 07:31 AM

Ive been gone a fair bit but between Mae almost being mobile now (rolling over) and babyproofing (havent done that in a few years!) plus the 2 week trip we took home (in the car with three kids from 2 1/2 months to nearly 8 years old and it was 2200 miles there and back) and readying for the deployment (which is now under way) Ive been a bit busy.

But trips over, house is almost babyproofed, and deployment has begun... so I guess I'm back!

Congrats Adorkable on the birth and MommaKitten on the future birth!

RaeRae - even if he doesn't adopt him if he is living with you your hubby (when you are married and he is hubby) can claim him as his dependent. I have 2 kids from a previous marriage that hubby has as dependents. However, if you do have the termination of parental rights from your sons father (or there is no father on record... but if hes on record as his father you HAVE to have the termination of parental rights) then your husband should have no problem adopting him

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#11 of 81 Old 01-07-2011, 01:19 PM

Adorkable, CONGRATULATIONS! joy.gif Its so great to see twins arriving vaginally.  Well not seeing, you know.  Yay!  They're beautiful.

MK, congrats to you too! 

#12 of 81 Old 01-07-2011, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Congrats Adorkable and Hello everyone else!!

This is my last month with DH before he deploys again... then I'll be moving back up to Michigan with my parents. irked.gif  On the plus side I'll never be alone if I don't want to be.  On the down side I'll be back to doing dishes for 5-10 people, including my dad who will use 5 pans to cook one piece of meat.

So does anyone have any more tips on how to help a baby learn who Daddy is while he's away?

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#13 of 81 Old 01-09-2011, 07:43 PM

Question for the Army wives, particularly if you aren't in the service yourself, what do you wear for formal wear when your dh is in uniform? I have to come up with my first modern dress in about 5 years (hang on, have I even bought a dress since we got married? eep!) by March.

I think the dress uniform will be navy blue, so I'm debating between a navy blue that turns bright blue when it reflects the light, doing something in orange (complementary colors, so red if it turns out the uniform'll be the dress greens instead), or a hunter green (which would clash horribly with the dress greens.)

#14 of 81 Old 01-10-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

How exciting! I normally shop at Nordstrom for dresses, I find that I like their selection the best. Most clothing and sales don't sell greens anymore, so if he's buying a uniform or purchased one recently it'll be blue. If he was issued one it could still be green but they're phasing out the greens. I always wear dark colors so navy, black, dark purple, etc. You'll find that there will be some people who wear really bold colors but I personally find darker colors to be more appropriate for a formal event. 

This is what I wore for the last formal:

IMG_2241.jpg

This is the one I wore prior to this one: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3079804?origin=category&resultback=3395

You'll have to show us what you decide on! 

#15 of 81 Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 AM

Congrats!  You can so do it :) I currently have a 3 month old, a 19 month old and a 33 month old... yeah, my oldest turned 2.5 the day after the youngest was born!!  Add in that DH deployed right before the baby was born?  It has been a bit crazy!!  Fun tho... and they are so cute with the baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKitten21 View Post

Congrats Adorkable!!! What beautiful little babies they are! :)

Sorry I haven't posted much... been keeping to myself lately and really been busy at the same time....and ummmm have an announcement....

I took a pregnancy test and the faintest little line appeared.... This means (if my calculations are right!) When this baby comes, I will have a 3 year old, a 15 months old, and a newborn.... Lord help me! haha!!

We were not trying.... but we weren't really actively preventing.... well, sort of heh. So this is just kind of a huge shock for us both. Especially since we will be PCSing in the spring or summer and no clue where we are going (rumor has it Korea) so I'm just trying to take this all in now :)

And of course you can join RaeRae!! Welcome to the military wife life!! It's a wonderful journey!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#16 of 81 Old 01-10-2011, 09:15 AM

hi. i'm new here. i'm a navy spouse and mom to three. i have a question i was wondering if anyone knows anything about duty swaps?

raerae, my sister and her husband are stationed at ft. lewis. 

#17 of 81 Old 01-10-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Katie~ View Post

How exciting! I normally shop at Nordstrom for dresses, I find that I like their selection the best. Most clothing and sales don't sell greens anymore, so if he's buying a uniform or purchased one recently it'll be blue. If he was issued one it could still be green but they're phasing out the greens. I always wear dark colors so navy, black, dark purple, etc. You'll find that there will be some people who wear really bold colors but I personally find darker colors to be more appropriate for a formal event. 

This is what I wore for the last formal:

IMG_2241.jpg

This is the one I wore prior to this one: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3079804?origin=category&resultback=3395

You'll have to show us what you decide on! 

Thank you! It looks like regular formal gowns work fine.

#18 of 81 Old 01-10-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

If the event is big enough people will be dressed in all manner of formal attire from short cocktail dresses to full-on ball gowns. I prefer a middle ground but chances are whatever you choose will be just fine! If it were a smaller event I'd go for a formal looking cocktail dress in a heartbeat. 

#19 of 81 Old 01-10-2011, 02:09 PM

if it is a dinner i always go full length formal, once when it was just a drinks reception i went with a cocktail dress.

the best part of military balls is that if your life is anything like mine you can splurge a bit on a dress because you will be able to wear it again soon when you get posted in a new place!

i have 4-5 very nice dresses and have worm them each many times because they were each worn once at each posting, and then again when we went to his school or to DC or a new unit.

as long as i stay a similar size i can keep wearing them for a very long time, something civilian ladies dont get to do! So i work hard to get beautiful very classic gowns and some i am still wearing and getting gushing compliments on 6 years after the first ball they went to, like this one below. (I will be deleting this picture in a few days to keep my MDC and IRL worlds separate)

this was my very first ball, when my now DH and i had just started dating and he had just come back form his tour in Iraq

(photo removed for privacy) />

EDIT TO ADD:  
as for general color and style, you might just keep in mind if DH likes to "show you off" or disappear at functions, mine really likes being with the the pretty girl, and really likes to see me dressed up and making an entrance, so i happily do just that. others feel out of sorts at events like that and would rather just slip in and out, dress accordingly, you are their adornment in my mind.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#20 of 81 Old 01-11-2011, 10:30 AM

Well, I'll definitely be going with a sleeved dress, my arms and shoulders aren't nearly as pretty as yours! lol.gif Good point about being his decoration.

#21 of 81 Old 01-11-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe somebody here can help me with this tax issue. 

This year I originally thought we would receive the other half of DH's $10,000 enlistment bonus from the national guard. The first payment took place in August 2008. He didn't keep track of things as well as he should have and we determined that the entire bonus was paid in 2008 and was taxed 40%. I decided to check his w-2 and our tax return and see if the bonus had been included in his base pay and it wasn't, nor were the taxes included as they should have been.

That leads me to believe that there must be another w-2 floating around somewhere. He was paid by the national guard from January 2008-August 2008 when he went active duty, so would they have filed a separate w-2 for the two different periods? This is frustrating me to no end so any help would be appreciated. 

#22 of 81 Old 01-11-2011, 10:39 PM

That is very odd... We have been getting bits of DH's bonus for a few years (10K in 2008, 6K the past 2 summers) and it is taxed at 25% and all included on our W2. Is there anyway for him to get ahold of an LES from the month you got the bonus?

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#23 of 81 Old 01-12-2011, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

I've tried and nothing from 2008 is available online. I know it's somewhere because they have to hold onto it for record keeping. His pay has been a NIGHTMARE over the last three years, this really isn't any different. He's going to work today since he's been off because of snow the last two days and is going to track down where all the paperwork is. 

Originally, 50% of the bonus was to be paid at the completion of OBC and the second half after serving 3 years (December 10). According to the paperwork we received from the NYARNG incentives manager, he was paid the full amount as of 9/22/08 and they took just over 40% out for taxes. Since I can't see any of the LES statements, I checked his w-2 and there's no discrepancy in pay to include the additional income or taxes. There was a huge deal for a while about who was actually responsible for paying him and I'm wondering if this got mixed into all the confusion. The only thing I can think is that they filed two separate w-2's, one for Jan-Aug 08 and one for Aug-Dec 08 and the Aug-Dec 08 one will reflect the bonus. If that's so I need to amend our 2008 return to include the extra w-2 so hopefully he can track that down today. 

#24 of 81 Old 01-12-2011, 09:25 AM

I hate dealing with military pay... we have been lucky to not have any major issues but even small things turn into a huge deal with them!  Hope he can get it all sorted out easily :)

#25 of 81 Old 01-12-2011, 01:55 PM

Ugh, Katie, yuck.  Seems like the little things always turn into nightmares.  I hope he finds the w-2.

I'm still anxiously awaiting our orders.  We're expecting that he'll report to the next job at the end of May, which gives us a little more than four months to get things figured out, including renting our house here in TX.  It would be nice if they would give us more notice!  On the bright side, I'll officially be a SAHM in four months.  I'm nervous about that, but also really excited. Where we end up will play a role in how long I can SAH, and whether I can convince Huz that it's time to TTC.  This next assignment will be four years, which is going to bring new experiences for us.  DD was 6 mos. when we last moved, but (theoretically) she'll be starting school at the next assignment.  She'll only be 2.5 when we move, so I doubt she'll remember it, but I wonder how the moving is going to impact her.  Have you all done anything specific to prepare little ones for moves?

#26 of 81 Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 AM

Hi Mamas:

Sorry I've been MIA for awhile.  We're busy getting ready to move into a much larger home off post (in Dupont, a nice community that is a very short distance from the post) and I've been nursing both a bad cold and a badly broken toe that will require surgery soon, so life is a bit more hectic than I'd like it to be!  DH recently moved to a new unit, and I'm feeling a bit out of sorts because I don't know any of the new people, and it's Infantry as opposed to MI (which is our norm).but it's a prestigious job, and DH is excited to be there.  Having 5 boys to care for has been an adventure as well!  Anyhow, looks like everyone has been busy around these parts.

Adorkable: Congrats, congrats, congrats!  I remember sharing stories with you about the Infertility clinic at Madigan with you just about a year ago.  I'm so happy that your beautiful babies have arrived.  Enjoy those little blessings :).

Sapphire: As far as formal attire is concerned, I usually go with something black that has bling-y type accents.  I was 35 weeks pregnant at my last formal, so it was a bit difficult to find a great dress for that one, but I've found that stores like JCPenney and Macy's typically have nice dresses on sale this time of year.  Have fun getting dressed up!

Katie: Wish I could help you with the W-2 issue.  I think you are on the right track with your research.  Let us know how it goes.  I noticed that DH's pay was a little lower than expected today and think there's an allotment issue, but won't be able to work it out until the full LES comes out for January at the end of the month - ugh!  It would be nice to have better access to financial tools, wouldn't it!

MK: Congrats on the pregnancy!  Closely spaced kiddos can be a lot of fun :).  My DS3 and DS4 are 20 months apart.  While it was very tough initially (especially because DH was gone for the first four months after DS4 was born), they are good friends and playmates now.  I had DS4 while at Ft. Gordon, and wouldn't recommend using on post facilities.  There is no OB unit at Eisenhower, so you see family practice MDs for prenatal care, then are referred out to MCG hospital in Augusta to deliver.  MCG is, ahem, not exactly a baby-friendly facility.  PM me if you want details.

Welcome RaeRae!  I'm also at Fort Lewis.  My DH is in the 3/2 Stryker BCT.  We are a blended family as well.  I would suggest holding off on any custody/adoption changes until you are married. 

Sorry if I missed anyone.  Off to change a diaper and get some breakfast for my DH.  Hope all of you have a great day!

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#27 of 81 Old 01-13-2011, 08:43 AM

JustKate... we have moved a couple times with little ones (once when DS1 was 4 months, and again when he was 2.5) and we never did much to prepared them for it.  We talked about it a little, like how we were going to go on a long drive to live in a new place.. but all he really got from that is that we were going "on da biiiiig road with da tucks!!" so yeah :)  We are moving again in June and he will be a little over 3, DS2 will have be newly 2, and DS3 will be 8 months... that should be an interesting move...

#28 of 81 Old 01-13-2011, 01:50 PM

Hi everyone!

I might become an army wife and know *nothing* about military life.

My DH is graduating this year from pharmacy school and we are speaking with a medical recruiter on Wednesday next week. I am nervous about this big huge change. I have tried to research what we might face and all I know right now is that we would sign for four years, in order to get the max amt of the school loan repayment program offered. (We will have 150k of school debt when all is said and done!) I know that he will be deployed and could be as long as a year. Other than that, I know very little. I am getting used to the idea that we will be separated, but that is really hard to wrap my head around. I will be where ever he is stationed, alone, with no family or friends around. I know that there are probably a lot of spouses who live the same way and I have questions that I hope you ladies don't mind me asking.

What sort of support is offered to wives of deployed servicemen?

Is there anyone here who lives on the army base as opposed to taking the housing allowance? Pros and cons?

What is it like being married to a serviceman? Is it really all the different from civilian life?

Is there a good forum for wives of soldiers?

How many crunchy people do you know in military?

I will also read past the military mom threads from mothering. I am glad there is a tribe like this here at mothering!

Thanks ladies. love.gif

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#29 of 81 Old 01-13-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What sort of support is offered to wives of deployed servicemen?

I don't know a whole lot about other branches but I'm sure we all have something similar. In the Army we have FRG groups, some are better than others but they basically exist to provide support and activities and updates/information about the deployed unit. Free child care is usually offered once a month here as well. There are typically all kinds of activities going on, both for adults and children. 

Is there anyone here who lives on the army base as opposed to taking the housing allowance? Pros and cons?

I've done both and honestly one of my favorite things about living in military housing is the sense of community and always having someone nearby who can really relate to the lifestyle. Unfortunately family and civilian friends just tend to not get it as well. I've been able to make some really close friends and it's great having people to rely on. If the on-post housing is crummy then living off post is a better option sometimes, depending on what your BAH is. If you can find decent housing for under your BAH you can actually make money. 

What is it like being married to a serviceman? Is it really all the different from civilian life?

It's different. Most civilians won't have to miss birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, funerals, etc. They won't have to miss major milestones or births of their children. There are pros and cons to everything, but those types of things have been hardest for me emotionally. It requires much more sacrifice of things that tend to be taken for granted a lot of the time. Self reliance and Independence are things military wives have in common for sure. In my marriage I think it's been a lesson in learning about our individual strengths and learning to value the small things and being a lot more easy going with each other. 

Is there a good forum for wives of soldiers?

I'd say this one is pretty excellent wink1.gif

How many crunchy people do you know in military?

The nice thing about military life is that you'll find people from all over the spectrum. One benefit of being on MDC is that you can go to the tribe where you're stationed and find playgroups and different activities in order to meet people. It's made it a lot more easier for me to find friends in my area that way. I've also gotten pretty lucky and have homeschooler's, breastfeeding mama's, and co-sleepers all on my street. 

#30 of 81 Old 01-15-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul-O View Post

Hi Mamas:

Sorry I've been MIA for awhile.  We're busy getting ready to move into a much larger home off post (in Dupont, a nice community that is a very short distance from the post) and I've been nursing both a bad cold and a badly broken toe that will require surgery soon, so life is a bit more hectic than I'd like it to be!  DH recently moved to a new unit, and I'm feeling a bit out of sorts because I don't know any of the new people, and it's Infantry as opposed to MI (which is our norm).but it's a prestigious job, and DH is excited to be there.  Having 5 boys to care for has been an adventure as well!  Anyhow, looks like everyone has been busy around these parts.

We live in Dupont! I love it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page