Mimimalist Mamas - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 152 Old 05-29-2011, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think I've always been this way. I never had a lot of stuff. I hated that my mom decorated with a crazy amount of stuff that just sat there, got no use from it and we had to spend an insane amount of time making sure it was perfectly clean. I never understood the point. When I was having kids, stuff creeped up on me. I didn't realize it at the time, but it had a pretty big impact on my mental health. One day, I snapped and threw out an apartment worth of stuff. Then we moved, and I got rid of half of what we had left. That happened twice, over the period of about three years. And things were finally manageable. I've just been maintaining since. It's much easier this way, makes so much more sense to me. And as much as I'd prefer there to be even less stuff in the house, I'm comfortable with where we are right now. No clutter, everything is used on a regular basis and I like what I have. I would only be sad if I lost my pictures, my baby clothes quilt and a braided rug I'm working on. I don't enjoy shopping, so its not like I'm tempted to buy more. I just have no desire to.

Thanks for this tribe. I love reading about everyone's minimalistic lifestyle. :)

#62 of 152 Old 05-29-2011, 07:54 AM

Simple Living mama- So nice to have you here!!! Believe me, you are not alone. I have felt the same way since I was child. I never got into materialism/consumerism like my family. My mom used to say I was happiest out skinning my knees and eating an ice cream than out shopping. I started to feel weird when I went to high school in a very ritzy part of time. The education was awesome, the materialism, not so much. I took to wearing uniforms of sort because I liked things to be easy and I didn't have to think about them. I wore polos, pants, boat-shoes and I would add 2 sweaters in the winter. I also had my favorite wool dress that had a funnel neck.I actually think it was a long sweater but I wore this with my boots. I wore the same thing all the time and but this made me focus on my personality more and my education. Funny thing is, I dress the same way now. biggrinbounce.gif

Having travelled the world twice in my life, I am amazed at what other people don't have as compared to the things that most Americans take for granted. I have always thought that if everyone could just give up a little to help the poorest spots in the USA, wow what a difference we could make!!! I don't expect everyone to live like me- I consider myself to be on the radical side of minimalism, as defined by other, though I don't define this myself. It's just how I always lived.

The comment about the father's spending time with their children is so very true. I do the same with my son. I have to work (for now) but with minimalism, I have a lot more time and the energy to spend with DS now and it is awesome.

#63 of 152 Old 05-29-2011, 07:56 AM

Monkey princess-- I did the same thing after my son was born. I was tired, frustrated and just overwhelmed. Hubby took DS for a day out and instead of sleeping, I purged the entire house. I was a mad woman but it felt so good. I collapsed into the best sleep of my life that night and you know what, I swear the house made us all calmer.

#64 of 152 Old 05-29-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVNTEXAS View Post

Monkey princess-- I did the same thing after my son was born. I was tired, frustrated and just overwhelmed. Hubby took DS for a day out and instead of sleeping, I purged the entire house. I was a mad woman but it felt so good. I collapsed into the best sleep of my life that night and you know what, I swear the house made us all calmer.

I can so relate to this!!!

#65 of 152 Old 05-29-2011, 09:43 AM

I was a mad woman. My hubby went to a bbq for work and then took our son to the beach. I was extremely tired but I couldn't sleep. I started thinking about the piles of clothes/laundry and just the overall mess. I started with just our bedroom---took me 1 hour to go through everything. I was shoving everything into garbage bags. I had 10 bags just from our bedroom. Then I did DS's..which had partial storage. That used up another 4 bags. I folded all the laundry and half of it went out and then I purged all the chotskies..I seriously think I kept 4 items..all of it went..8 huge bins. I ripped  things down off walls and from shelves- then I listed the shelves on Craigslist. namaste.gif I felt SO free. It took me less than 3 hours- I was on fire. I then wiped everything down and vacuumed. It was awesome!!! I re-arranged a few pieces of furniture and then I fell blissfully into bed for a 3 hour nap. When I woke up, I took everything (in 3 runs) to Goodwill and AMVETS.

Hubby came home and freaked but he got over it.

#66 of 152 Old 05-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Banned

Sometimes I feel thwarted by my husband.

The cottage is looking great. The french cafe chairs look awesome with my table, and we'll be spray painting them white this weekend. I'm psyched about that. I'm going to call a handyman to help us put in our washer and dryer this week, and then do some major scrubbing next week.

I'm trying to decorate the place, and man, my husband is annoying. I have these two beautiful mid-century modern chairs that need to be recovered and a mid-century modern bench (also needs to be recovered). he likes them, but doesn't think they are "comfy" and he wants  "comfy chair to snuggle in" -- ok, i get it, but seriously, a comfy chair costs a fortune here.

Anyway, then i started talking about colors -- and he was like "I don't agree to that!!!" and I asked him what he wanted and he doesn't know. He wants white walls, floors, etc, and then black fabric on the chairs. I think it's too stark, and would prefer grey, and then we can bring in color by painting a few walls a good color. 

anyway, the man is crazy sometimes. LOL

#67 of 152 Old 05-30-2011, 04:37 AM

I was so happy to see you guys start this thread. We are inbetween the move that will take us from fairly minimalist and very organized to pretty extremely minimalist. At the moment stuff is either packed or sold (except the small amount we are actually using) so the house is very empty. Only about 4 toys out. And there is so much space to play and dance and the kids ride their bikes all round the living room and there's nothing to tidy up so I can actually vacuum every night! Something which was always necessary (don't ask me how but they get crumbs/food EVERYWHERE no matter what I do) but I never was able to achieve. And we have time to just play and go to the park and they are never bored. When they had a play room full of toys they were bored out of their minds the whole day. At the moment I am just going through the boxes we have packed and taking out anything else I feel I can part with. I always ask myself now 'will this item make us a happier family and bring us together more?' If the answer is no, then why do we need it!? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkvosu View Post

The one area I really struggle with is the kitchen. I love to cook. Heaven to me is playing in the kitchen all day! As a result though, I've acquired all kinds of kitchen equipment: a blender, food processor, stand mixer, hand mixer...I could go on. Any tips on minimizing a kitchen without compromising my ability to cook what I want? The minimalist in me says I don't need two muffin tins, but the baker in me says I do!

Can you please please please come live at my house LOL If I never had to step foot in the kitchen again I would be very happy- but I do love food!

My own rules for kitchen stuff are, if I can do the same thing with something else I own then I don't need it. So for example...Kettle? No I have a stove and a pot. Toaster? No I have an oven. (its a large toaster oven as this place has no inbuilt oven). I don't have any cupcake trays because the mixes I buy hide.gif always come with the little paper muffin things you pour the mix into, so I just use those on top of the flat oven tray. But if your joy for the things trumps your need to be minimalist then there is no reason to get rid of them. You only have to be happy with it yourself. There are no minimalist police coming round to check winky.gif

#68 of 152 Old 05-30-2011, 07:43 AM

I would like to join you ladies. When I first heard the words voluntary simplicity & minimilism they resonated with me right away. I began to read message boards, books & magazines to find out more. Then began to act on what I read. A decade later, I consider myself aspiring still because I know I am not where I want to be yet. Working slowly making changes that hopefully will last. Not just about stuff - although after this 2011/2011 challenge I realize I may be actually reach where I want to be with decluttering - but also about time & how I want to spend my life. I may even count my things just for fun.

Mom to 3 and wife to dh of 16 years. He doesn't think like I do, but I can see that changing some. I respect what so many of you have said about not imposing what I want on the others in my family, but at the same time I need them to not impose on me either. Must find balance with this. We have a small (for our area) 1200 sq ft home. Living here is 2 kids, 2 adults, 2 dogs. Dh works at home. Oldest child moved out about 6mo ago. At that time, the 2 younger ones were able to have their own room for the first time. Must admit, I am glad that they have there own space now. Not a necessity, but it is nice for both me & them.

Dh is disorganized by nature and doesn't tend to declutter anything. Luckily he has the office & garage to contain his overflow of things.That keeps me from feeling suffocated. Maybe someday he will change, if not - well that is okay too. I am learning slowly that it is still possible for me to be a minimilist even though some in my family are not. Plus, most of the community part of the house is up to me. Thotchkes are not my thing. Dh also prefers the minimal amount of furniture, that helps.

I remember when it was just my dh, dc1, and me living in a 2br 2nd floor apt. Plenty of space & easy to care for. We used to go to the park, walks, entertain etc... so much fun! So many years later I realize that my list of chores daily on top of working prn on top of volunteer activities keep me with a check list of to do's each day that parks, walks, and entertaining are sometimes feel more a burden than I would like.

I see that I need to continue to minimize the household so that I can feel lighter, than I need work on simplifying my day so that there is more free time in my life to feel more spontaneous with the kids/dh. Hmmm.....need to continue to ponder that. How do you all accomplish that?

I look forward to reading and learning from you. Helps to keep me grounded and focuses.

#69 of 152 Old 05-30-2011, 08:02 AM

My own rules for kitchen stuff are, if I can do the same thing with something else I own then I don't need it. So for example...Kettle? No I have a stove and a pot. Toaster? No I have an oven. (its a large toaster oven as this place has no inbuilt oven). I don't have any cupcake trays because the mixes I buy hide.gif always come with the little paper muffin things you pour the mix into, so I just use those on top of the flat oven tray. But if your joy for the things trumps your need to be minimalist then there is no reason to get rid of them. You only have to be happy with it yourself. There are no minimalist police coming round to check winky.gif

Thanks for that! I literally laughed out loud when I read it.

Now that I see some you took to minimalism when you had kids, I don't feel so weird. When I got pregnant with ds about a year and half ago, everyone thought I was crazy for getting RID of stuff instead of buying tons more. We eventually got a crib (which we have yet to use), and a few other must haves, or at least what I thought were must haves at the time, but for the most part I downsized substantially after I found out he was coming. I just wanted things simpler. We only have a 2 bedroom house, but somehow we had that thing packed to brim with crap.  It felt so freeing to let go of all that stuff. It was like I was creating physical space for the impending emotional stress that comes with having a new baby.  I don't know how, but I knew I would NEED that space to be able to feel peace.

The creation of this thread is actually very timely for me as I'm in the process of minimizing once again by getting rid of all the unused baby stuff - crib, crib bed set, & mattress, a very expensive and also unused co-sleeper, baby swing, several boxes of clothes that were handed down to me, and a few other misc items. Basically a whole nursery's worth of stuff. That's another thing we decided we don't need - a nursery! To each his own, but for us, we decided that a little 7 month old infant "needing" his own (fully stocked) room is absurd. He has a little dresser with his clothes in it, and we can keep that in our bedroom since that's where he sleeps anyway. We're turning ds's old room into a mutlti-purpose tv room/office for dh. That's a much better use of space for us. We have a little sunroom that we use a playroom and that's where we keep ds's toys and diapers - the only other things he "needs". We were going to have a garage sale and pocket some extra cash, but then that tornado struck Joplin. I'm very close to there, in Tulsa OK, so I know several people who lost everything, including baby stuff. As tragic as it is, I'm glad that I can meet someone's need with my unneeded stuff.

SAHM to Cameron James (b. 10/21/10) and wife to my adorable husband. treehugger.gif
#70 of 152 Old 05-30-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

yes, this will definitely vary and depend on lifestyle too.  For instance, we've been grain free for years and years so I have no stand mixer and no need for one.  I tossed my stainless cooking set (heath reasons) and replaced them with select pieces that I actually use.  I never used the stock pot, rarely used the small sauce pan, the skillets were nightmares etc. 

I now have two enamaled cast iron skillets that are used almost daily in tandem.  I have a two in one cast iron pan that saves on space and I LOVE it.  It doubles as a sauce pan if needed as well as a small skillet.  The skillet becomes the "cover" of the sauce pan.  http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-722223/Le-Creuset-Fennel-Two-in-One-Pan  I have a small dutch oven for veggies, but passed on the large one as I have a crock pot and just do soups and stews in there.

No toaster (if I have to re-heat muffins or pancakes I do it in the oven) no microwave, etc.  I do have a cast iron tea kettle as tea is a big vice for me!  I do herbal/medicinal tea so the prep is important.  The only small kitchen appliances are my juicer and blender.

For baking I have 2 jelly roll pans which double as sheet pans.  I have 4 different sizes of pyrex-five if you count the pie plate-and one 12 cup cupcake tin.

So for me, this is minimal.  Everything gets used and as you said, there's no real overlap.  I don't have things for "special occasions" and literally all the pieces get weekly action. 

#71 of 152 Old 05-30-2011, 09:55 AM

Ahhh! I've been trying to get rid of my toaster for months now, but dh resists. I think something about using the oven is intimidating to him, even though it seems just as easy to me. Reading a few of these responses makes me think my kitchen is pretty minimalist, for me anyway. I've convinced dh (and myself) that we don't need 12 plates, 2 sets of different size saucers, 30 cups and glasses and lord knows how many coffee mugs. We don't entertain really and ds is still a baby, so it's just dh and me using this stuff.  Something about staring an empty cabinet makes we want to fill it, but I'm learning to fight that urge.  All of that extra stuff is going to Joplin, too.

SAHM to Cameron James (b. 10/21/10) and wife to my adorable husband. treehugger.gif
#72 of 152 Old 05-30-2011, 10:21 AM

my dh was a tough sell too.  When I pared down dishware he was nutty.  we have five people, so five settings.  He couldn't get the concept of "if it's dirty and you need it, wash it!  he's like, "I just want to have enough."  It took awhile to understand that with this amount there was never a pile up in the sink. 

we don't have glasses, we use mason jars.  little ones for kids pint size for us an occasionally quart size too, but they double as storage for extra soups, sauces, mayo if I make it etc.  they also allow little kids to drink out of actual glass since they're so sturdy!

#73 of 152 Old 05-30-2011, 10:41 AM

The only glasses I kept are mason jars like you said, and also old peanut butter and pickle jars. I threw out my old, stained, BPA laden tupperware and replaced it various sizes of mason jars. Doubles as glasses and food storage. Works perfectly!

#74 of 152 Old 05-30-2011, 10:53 AM

exactly!  And I have covered pyrex storage bowls that serve also for eating yogurt, soup stew etc. right out of them.  Things with a dual purpose is great!

#75 of 152 Old 05-30-2011, 02:33 PM

Ah! The kitchen is the worst for me! It's a tiny space with hardly any cabinets or counterspace...

What do yall do for entertaining? Do you keep serving platters? I have so many platters and serving spoons etc. and they take up so much space I'm trying to find a way to get rid of them or at least make them easier to store. 

Also.... for those of yall that use the oven instead of a toaster/microwave... don't you find turning on the oven a pain bc it heats up your kitchen? In the winter I wouldn't mind but in the summer I don't turn on the stove during the day bc it gets too too hot. I would LOVE to get rid of my toaster AND toaster oven that clutter up my tiny kitchen workspace, but I'm worried about the heat issue nut.gif

For plates/bowls/cups that we use daily (it's just DH and me) my plan is to put them all away except for a few and just use those. We always have SO many dirty dishes. How many can I get away with? Two of each? The rule would be to wash it as soon as it's been used and put it in the drying rack.

The drying rack... ugh... I have this huge thing that takes up so much space. When I lived in Spain we had this cabinet with a drying rack instead of a solid board bottom so the dishes were out of sight. What do yall do?

When I get back to my house (I'm at the in-laws' now) Yall have inspired me... I'm going to seriously purge the kitchen... can't wait! biggrinbounce.gif

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#76 of 152 Old 05-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Banned

ok, after looking at some design blogs, DH is back on the wagon. LOL

I showed him a variety of designs (versions of minimalism), and he hewed again toward my preference -- "stark" minimalism as he called it. when I mentioned it before, he was like "no, it's too stark. it should be homey." He discovered that he does, in fact, prefer the stark. 

Because we are in transition (moving), our current place is a bit of a mess of boxes and what not. DS is having fun unpacking and repacking, so it's a mess. DH is more anxious, and once the bed and the bean bag was gone (to the salvation army), and I'd taken the packed bags over to the new place, he felt way more relaxed. It is amazing how, when the place is more minimalist and all cleaned up, how much happier all of us are. 

So, in our new place, he's going to just "trust my judgement" with the look of the design. We still have a fair bit to do, but the movers are coming this weekend, and then early next week, a cleaning crew is coming in to really scrub the place for us. Just makes life a little bit easier to have a crew do it (besides, I got a half-price deal, so I'm happy). 

#77 of 152 Old 05-30-2011, 04:29 PM

I am loving this thread and reading about all that you Mama's do to get to a minimalist place/ or keep it. I have taken another load to the Goodwill. I have some furniture that I want to get rid of, DH isn't on board with getting rid of a few pieces, so I am tryingt o be understanding. I saw some pictures of our house when we first moved in and I can't believe how little we had... I want to get back to that.

I love my toaster oven I don't think I could get rid of it... but am also trying to get my kitchen into a minmalist place.

My sister came to visit for a day and she said my house is looking great, the energy moves around a lot better. I feel the energy moving better as well. Before the only way I could feel that was when I opened all the windows.... now I can feel it when they are closed.joy.gif

My closet is clearing out as well... life is easier when I  have less.

Thank you all for the great inspiration!!

Kathleen

accountclosed15 likes this.

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#78 of 152 Old 05-30-2011, 05:58 PM

I ended up giving a lot of old food to the chickens, they were super happy.  

We have more dishes then we need, (maybe 8 plates for the 4 of us), but we have just enough to make a full load in the dishwasher plus a few cooking pots so it works really well.  If we washed by hand I'd have fewer.  We do have a toaster oven, and I like it better then the large oven because it cooks things in about half the time, we also have a blender, and an ice cream maker, but that's it for appliances.  We have a lot of cooking stuff though, two sizes of saucepans, a stock pot, two sizes of cast iron frying pans, a really big cast iron pot, two cookie sheets, a muffin tin, and a casserole dish.  I'd get rid of some of it, but DH likes to cook more then I do, and he wants to keep them.  I actually would like a bread pan though.

We use jars for drinking glasses too, I love them.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#79 of 152 Old 05-31-2011, 04:36 AM

I think when most men think of minimalist design, they think of something futuristic and stark. It doesn't have to be that way. Paint can change the whole feeling and the things you do have, make them shine. Paint your picture frames, recover an old chair, add a vibrant wall hanging or my favorite, take large canvases and paint them in your favorite colors and hang them. I also wonder if some people equate less stuff with being poor.

#80 of 152 Old 05-31-2011, 05:03 AM

Also there is a big difference in minimalist decorating and minimalist lifestyle and the two don't have to go hand in hand. You can have a very bare minimalist home but actually have things packed away out of sight and still have a ton of it and not live simply at all. And you can have very little but not have that stark decorating sense and just have everything out in clear sight. Also minimalist decor doesn't have to mean stark and no colours (it can if you want it to of course ;))- you can still have it homey but simple and not cluttered. 

#81 of 152 Old 05-31-2011, 02:45 PM
Banned

yes, i know.

my preference is for stark and minimalist (by most people's standards).

today, I came up with an interesting solution. The original way that I was going to set up the cottage may not work, so I thought of an alternative.

The salvation army was supposed to come and pick up the divan bed that we got second-hand (that I no longer want because it wasn't what I thought it was when i bought it. i was told it was "solid wood" but if you mean "solid timber" you have to say timber because "solid wood" means "wood particle board" that is not wiggling or falling apart. *annoying*

So, I thought that we might end up moving with it, so I can paint it bright white, put it into the bedroom area (which opens to the lounge) -- on the long wall. It's about 10 ft long. use that like a sofa. put my bench in front, and the two chairs one on either side. get some pallets and hack them into 3 shelves to hold our books. The draws under the bed can hold DS's toys, the extra bedding for the bed (pillows, sheets, blankets, etc), and I'll recover the mattresses with some nice fabric, too. 

then, put the bed in the lounge -- under the window that looks out over the sea. This will be warmer for sleeping, too, as it would put us in the same room (admittedly, it's all one room) as the fire place/gas heater (the bed will be about 3-4 feet away from it). 

Of course, I may decide to move it all around in a completely different way, too. we'll just ahve to get the furniture in there, i guess. 

#82 of 152 Old 06-02-2011, 09:08 AM

Here's a question...how do y'all decide how much/many of something is needed. For example, do you have two sets of sheets for your bed(s), a spare umbrella, etc? I like the idea of living without excess, meaning only having what I actually need, not what I may need if/when some unlikely situation occurs, which is I guess what makes me minimalistic in the first place. But, there are exceptions to that. I know so much of this depends on individual situations, like, for instance, I do have spare sheets because ds sleeps with us and, unfortunately, no diaper holds everything all the time. I'm curious what others do, though.  It's fascinating to me, where needs end and excess begins.      jkj

hkjh  

#83 of 152 Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 AM

Disregard that random typing. I'm not sure where that came from and it won't let me edit it.

#84 of 152 Old 06-02-2011, 11:17 AM

I have one set of sheets for my bed, one for the pull out couch for DS. He is out of diapers, but when he was in them or learning to sleep in big boy undies, I had 3 bottom sheets for him. I keep my umbrella in my tote/purse, it really doesn't take up that much room and I always have it with me. It all depends on your needs. I live where it stays warmer than most even during winter, so I don't need extra blankets and cold weather gear. We each have a jacket, hat and gloves and I have one extra blanket, which we use for picnics and the beach.

I don't buy bulk either. I just don't use up stuff that fast with just the 2 of us. I buy 2 soaps at a time or just 1 bottle of shampoo and I use them up. When space is at a premium, as it is in my 1 bedroom apartment, I learned to live with just what I need. I think my only exception is tp- because if I buy a huge batch, it literally lasts us a year. I just store some in the bathroom and the rest in the pantry. I move them as needed.

As a minimalist, I don't feel I make any sacrifices. I live with what we need and a few wants, for things like the sports or hobbies we are interested in. I live with our bikes in our closet because I can't leave them out on the porch and we do bike alot. But it works, because we use them and we take care of them. Most of the time, the bikes will be in the living room. I have so little, that we have the room. DS thinks it's cool and it reminds me to take a ride as often as I can.

I don't keep anything just in case or because I was into way back and now I am not. I got over that guilt quick. I believe you have to move stuff out and leave open space to let new stuff, experiences, ideas, karma, in. thumbsup.gif

I was thinking about this with some of DS's stuff- his baby items, toys and clothes that I have kept. I took his coming home from the hospital outfit and had it framed. I keep only his artwork that he either used his feet or handprints to make or some things when he writes his name or mine on them. He is actually getting selective about what I can keep. Must be genetic.jumpers.gif I kept his cards from his birth to his 1st birthday, a small baggie of blocks, a few favorite items of clothing- all in one skinny bin that goes on the top shelf of the closet. He can have it some day or else not...it will be up to him. I did add a few patches from when his father and I were in the military and his Grandaddy's dog tags and small flag. I have scanned all my originals into my computer, making 2 back up disks.

Ok- got off subject, but that is what I did. redface.gif

#85 of 152 Old 06-02-2011, 12:35 PM

I was just thinking about this today. I have previously kept an extra of most items and do have 4 sets of sheets (2 cotton, 2 flannel) for each of the beds (2 twin, 1 king). I have stopped buying a spare of most consumable items. We just keep the one we are using and when we are close to running out I add it to the shopping list. I will not replace the sheets for the king bed when a set wears out. It is rare that I can't get them washed within in the same day. I will keep an extra sets of twin sheets since one of my ds's still has nightly bedwetting. Also becaue they change their sheets on saturday morning and are so good putting the fresh sheet on right away that I don't want to mess with their routine.

I don't buy in bulk either or stock up on food. I receive my CSA weekly then shop at the store for 2-3 days worth of fresh or pantry items. 

Looking forward to hearing other replies..

#86 of 152 Old 06-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Banned

i'm like the other two.

We really only have what we need/use. We have one set of sheets for our bed, but we rarely use the flat sheet, so if there is an accident, we put the top sheet under us. Same with towels, with food, with shampoo, soap, etc etc. I think the only thing we buy in bulk is laundry detergent -- which is a 5 liter jug. 

It definitely keeps things simple for us. 

Right now, because of the move, we are decluttering again -- which means just letting go of jars, cardboard, and plastic containers, and any clothes that don't fit, or just destroyed. Mostly, recycling, of course. And, there are some things that I have to store -- like light bulbs for the offices (those big tube ones), so I'll need to find a home for them *in* the offices. Luckily, I have a little extra space, and if need be, we can always let them go (sell them online). 

Then it's matter of cleaning up our new space to meet our needs. :)

#87 of 152 Old 06-02-2011, 03:42 PM

When I am line drying I like to have two sets of sheets.  Lately I've been using the dryer more, and we really only need one set per bed.  Today I posted a ton of stuff on freecycle.  It's so awesome and freeing to be seeing these things go, especially when people are so thankful to get them.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#88 of 152 Old 06-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Banned

True, I love letting things go.

DH managed to get himself overwhelmed while we were packing the last bits today. we have one basket of "office papers" and he wondered if we "had to" keep them. we really don't, so he's going to the office tomorrow to take light bulbs and these papers, and then get rid of them during his office time next week. He really is coming along. LOL

We got our jars down to only the ones we use, and our plastic containers down to 5 (2 square actual tupper ware ones) and 3 old yogurt containers in three different sizes. That pretty much is all that we use.

I managed to donate clothes to the play group, wool to my friend (and wool felting supplies), spices and baking items to another friend. I cleared our various toiletries (why DH was hanging onto empty bottles and boxes of things is beyond me), and got those back down to our normal minimum, too. 

All that's left to pack now are the dishes and the remaining clothing items (currently in the wash).

Tomorrow, we pack everything into our friend's car in the am, and at 1:00, the movers come to pick up the heavy furnishings.

Around the same time, we'll be showing the place to potential tenants, and then on Sunday at 3, showing to another set of potential tenants. Looks like someone is likely to be renting this place come next weekend, which bodes well for us being out-and-done. :)

Then, we start working on making the new place nice and bright.

#89 of 152 Old 06-03-2011, 06:27 AM

We line-dry so two sets if sheets for our one bed. When DD has her own bed, I imagine she will have two sets too. DD wears wool "panties" to bed over her diaper ( we don't do cloth diaps anymore, but buy these bio-degradable eco-diapers made of corn starch) because the diaper leaked a couple of times. The night diaper is on a long time and needs some extra protection.

I also like to have a small supply of food stuffs and shampoos etc. Having a lot doesn't make me feel safe or secure, it makes me feel pressured to use it up. It also stiffles my creativity if I have too much supplies of any kind. One spare deodorant or bottle of shampoo is okay to have, preferably no more.

I often go through the cupboards too and throw out any stuff we are not using, like baking ingredients I didn't like at all. The frugal side of me first thinks if there is a way I can use it up or give it someone else, but if it's realistically not going to happen, I put in the bio-recycling.

#90 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 05:58 PM

Hi!Peace.gif I found the link for this tribe while reading thru the extreme minimalist thread. I think it's all relative. I've lived happily in a studio sharing it with others, I lived by myself in a 3br once (wow talk about spreading out!! even though it was only for 8 months). I was raised to be frugal but I have had to live on very little since around the time I became pregnant with my daughter, who is now nearly three. I have never moved a significant distance, I've lived within about forty minutes to an hour from downtown Chicago throughout my life. The place I recently moved into is actually very close to where I *was conceived, and I have gravitated to this neighborhood repeatedly over the short course of my adult life. That is all for now, I will read through the thread after getting DD to bed and then share some more particulars & what I'm working on at the moment. Nice to meet you all!!

Kate

ETA: was ...makes all the difference in that sentence! Let's not become so minimalist that we leave out important descriptors, LoL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page