Any mama's out there that hunt? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-14-2011, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I grew up around hunting my whole life. we didn't really go to dr's often, and lived off the grid. .  We ate what my dad hunted and what came out of our garden.  I am now a hunter and so is my dp.  So I am wondering if there are any others out there?  Or maybe you just harvest your own meat from animals you have??? 

M,partner to D,mama to Sofia (6/01), Madeline(11/04), and Quin(2/08)  Hoping for a tubal reversal baby SOON after the proceduremakebabe.gif

#2 of 7 Old 12-14-2011, 07:43 AM

Like you, I grew up with a hunting family.  I hunted in my early teens but haven't since then.  By my mid-teens, my interests moved to sports.   We live in an area where hunting dictates all work and social calendars in November and hunting has been on my mind a lot lately because DS is at the age where he is asking questions about hunting, which is taking me back to my childhood memories.  I can remember hanging out with my grandfather and uncles when they butchered their deer.

I enjoy reading the Girls Guide to Guns and Butter blog.  She hunts, as does her DH and extended family, and has a lot of great posts about hunting and cooking game.  (The also raise and process their own meats)

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#3 of 7 Old 12-14-2011, 07:48 AM

We raise our own beef and pork and dh and I both hunt.  I grew up hunting big game, but lately dh and I have been bird hunting.  Definitely a whole new ball game!  My boys are both very excited to hunt, though they have a few more years.  I think the actual hunting might not live up to their expectations but they'll learn how to do it.

#4 of 7 Old 12-14-2011, 09:31 AM

We don't hunt, unless we have a purpose (like a coyote killing all our chickens and ducks).  We do, however, raise goats, ducks, domestic rabbits, chickens, and guineas.  We raise the ducks and rabbits for the table.  My oldest 2 girls do the butchering of small animals.  My dh does the bigger things.  We recently butchered our last 2 pigs.  We get our pork from my mom's dh trapping wild pigs, of which there are more than plenty!  My 2 middle kids are into trapping raccoons lately.  As a matter of fact my dd (12) came up from the woods an hour ago to get her brother to help her carry the big coon in a trap.  We'll likely bake it tomorrow.

My dh was raised squirrel hunting in KY.

Nice to talk to others who don't think we are damaging our kids by teaching them these sometimes lost arts.  :o)  My kids can give a heck of an anatomy lesson!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#5 of 7 Old 12-14-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

YAY, I love to see this!!!!!   Chicky it is a WONDERFUL anatomy lesson!

M,partner to D,mama to Sofia (6/01), Madeline(11/04), and Quin(2/08)  Hoping for a tubal reversal baby SOON after the proceduremakebabe.gif

#6 of 7 Old 12-15-2011, 10:06 AM

Unfortunately, they got another lesson today when we had a dog attack on our chickens.  :o(

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#7 of 7 Old 12-15-2011, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

That's awful Chicky!!!!!

Tags
Welcome

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page