Any other Barefooters out there? - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 784 Old 08-09-2007, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chelci: DH & I take frequent walks around the neighborhood, purposefully finding new surfaces to walk on. This helps us get used to the feel. Since we're not actually going anywhere, it's more fun.

I don't keep my feet pretty but I have thought about it.

How many of you do actually go barefoot in stores, restaurants, on busses, etc.? And do you ever get harassed? Gendenwitha, is there an update to your struggle? I go barefoot into stores when I'm with DH, but not by myself. I don't feel comfortable doing it alone because my Danish isn't very good, and I'm afraid that I won't know what's going on if someone did confront me about it. I have some "emergency sandals" in my purse that I pull out just before going in.
#362 of 784 Old 08-21-2007, 09:46 AM

My DH has been looking for soft-soled shoes to use when barefooting isn't possible. He first thought of mocassins but it was impossible to find any still made traditionally, with soft soles, rather than "regular" shoes that look like mocassins on the uppers. I did some digging and found Vibram FiveFingers and they look pretty awesome. Anyone else tried these? He's ordered a pair but they haven't arrived yet, so I'll have to let you know what we think! Unfortunately, I don't think they are suited for my feet, as I have abnormally short toes.

I also found huarache sandals which look great too, but DH wanted something warmer for when the Danish winter comes.

After going barefoot, rigid soles just don't do it for me anymore!
#363 of 784 Old 08-21-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
My DH has been looking for soft-soled shoes to use when barefooting isn't possible. He first thought of mocassins but it was impossible to find any still made traditionally, with soft soles, rather than "regular" shoes that look like mocassins on the uppers. I did some digging and found Vibram FiveFingers and they look pretty awesome. Anyone else tried these? He's ordered a pair but they haven't arrived yet, so I'll have to let you know what we think! Unfortunately, I don't think they are suited for my feet, as I have abnormally short toes.

I also found huarache sandals which look great too, but DH wanted something warmer for when the Danish winter comes.

Those Vibram FiveFingers sound like a neat concept, but like you, they would not work at all for me. I can't even wear a flip-flop with one loop around the toe - the shoes never fit me right because of my short toes and having something inbetween my toes drives me nuts - worse than regular shoes!

Minnetonka does still make softsole moccasins where the sole is made of the same material and wraps around from the top. They just classify them as "slippers" now. Here is a link (scroll down to see the "softsole" one). They also sell a deerskin moc with deerskin sole.

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

#364 of 784 Old 08-21-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post

http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.c...category_id=43
soft sole mocs.

http://www.snowwowl.com/naartmoccasins.html
how to make many different kind of mocs

they are out there, the soft shoed ones, but they will be pricey because they will be handmade by native people...
#365 of 784 Old 08-21-2007, 09:41 PM

This is so funny! Who knew there was a whole group of people who are like me!

Everyone who knows me, knows I don't wear shoes! Never have.

The only shoes I own are a couple pair of Old Navy flip flops (because they are $2 and I HATE to spend money on something I barely use, and don't even like to use!) and a pair of Crocs for the winter - which as far as shoes are concerned, aren't that bad.

My kids hardly ever wear shoes, either. We are all notorious for leaving them places. One of my friends kids are just completely baffled as to how my son can forget his shoes at their house! One time, I showed up at a clients house with no shoes on! It wasn't a big deal, considering all I do is put them on when I get out of the car and take them off when I get into the house...its just awkward explaining to people how I can forget my shoes. Usually we just leave our flip flops in the car in case we go somewhere and might need them, but sometimes they wind up in the house.

My dh is like a pp, though - HAS to have shoes on. Makes me . I got him to at least wear slippers in the house, though...
#366 of 784 Old 08-21-2007, 10:10 PM

here is the site i was originally looking for...affordable soft sole traditional mocs

http://members.tripod.com/twonationsbeadworks/id23.html
#367 of 784 Old 08-21-2007, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yeah, somewhere I fit in ...

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#368 of 784 Old 08-22-2007, 03:19 AM

Even when I was three years old, I never liked to wear shoes or socks. My mother in law buys me socks every year for Christmas because she thinks that I must be losing them to wear open backed shoes with no socks in the winter. If I were going to be outside for a long period of time, of course I'd put on boots & socks, but it seems silly unless I do...I just take them off as soon as I can.

Except for those rare occasions, I've only worn crocs, sandals or open back style shoes for years and years. Its nice working from home!

How many of you find that you can't find your shoes when you have to go to the store or somewhere you have to wear them, because you haven't even looked for them in a week?
#369 of 784 Old 08-22-2007, 04:19 AM

Some of those mocs look really nice! I may have a look next time I'm in the states.

Glad to see this thread get a bit more action.
#370 of 784 Old 09-07-2007, 12:11 PM

I was a highschool barefooter! I wore flip-flops to school (so mom wouldn't yell at me) and then took them off as soon as I was in the building. I work at a bank, and I still take my shoes off as soon as I'm behind the counter! I that there is a thread for this!!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#371 of 784 Old 09-07-2007, 01:09 PM

Um me! I can never find my shoes if I need them. I usually keep them in my car just in case. On the rare occasion I wear them to the house, I get to where I'm going and don't have shoes! I've had issues in stores in NH going barefoot. Not in Mass. though. I'm visiting OK right now and I have yet to see a store with the No Shoes thing on the door. No issues at all. I saw a lady barefoot in a restaurant the other day. : I'm pretty notorious for not wearing shoes as are my kids!
#372 of 784 Old 09-07-2007, 01:53 PM

I walked over to the neighbors house last weekend without shoes, because uh, why wear them, YK, so anyway, we are all (me, dh, them) standing in their gravel driveway talking (we are new to the neighborhood). And she says How can you do THAT?

I love freaking people out!!

If you can't take the heat get out of the Kitchen.
#373 of 784 Old 09-07-2007, 03:17 PM

I don't mind when people stare at my feet, or ask questions about it, especially when they're genuinely interested. But sometimes, when I get asked the same question over and over, by the same person, within the same visit… I mean really. If I said my feet weren't cold two minutes ago, why would they be cold now? Unless a blizzard just started, I think it's time to stop thinking about my feet!

I am a bit jealous of your feet. I'm wowing everyone with my ability to withstand temperatures below balmy, but I'm not gravel-ready. We went to some horse races over the weekend and there was gravel everywhere. I walked around (clumsily) for the first fifteen minutes or so and finally broke down and got out my emergency sandals.
#374 of 784 Old 09-07-2007, 06:31 PM

We are a barefoot family here. My kids have always loved going barefoot in the house even in the dead of winter when we lived up north. Plus, it helps keep the house WAY cleaner! Now that we live in Florida, we just put on sandals or flip flops to be outside unless it gets too cold. My kids are so funny, they have always shed their shoes and socks even at company's house. We shed our shoes right at the door and it keeps the house so much cleaner!
#375 of 784 Old 09-07-2007, 09:38 PM

Hi!

I'm a barefoot mama. have been for 12 years. I was fanatically barefoot for about 9 years, I didnt own a single shoe for the last 6 of those years. I travelled all over australia, europe, asia, africa and latin america during that time. DD has shoes, but they're optional. I'm not strictly barefoot anymore, when I was slinging DD all the time, I started to get really bad back pain when walking on paved roads in cities, and in the end, (about 3 years ago) I caved and bought myself some othropedic sandals. (figuring that shoes was better than a stroller in saving my back).

So, I have some sandals for occasional long-distance urban hiking. but that doesnt happen too often. I pretty much never wear shoes, and yes, I have photos on myself barefoot in snow. last month I was even fighting a forest fire bare foot!
I did get a couple of blisters, but it was okay. and I helped to save some homes and farms
nice to meecha all!

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#376 of 784 Old 09-07-2007, 10:54 PM

my husband says i have flinstone feet, he hates it, they are hard as nails, but i would have it know other way. thats ME! i was even barefoot and pregnant at my wedding. he hated it but i said if you let me be barefooted we don't have to dance and he was happy, and so was i.
#377 of 784 Old 09-08-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnn27 View Post
my husband says i have flinstone feet, he hates it, they are hard as nails, but i would have it know other way. thats ME! i was even barefoot and pregnant at my wedding. he hated it but i said if you let me be barefooted we don't have to dance and he was happy, and so was i.
Funny, people are always asking to feel my feet, expecting them to be "flintstoney" after 12 years without shoes. but they're not. I have really tough skin; I walk on broken glass and thorns and gravel and ice and such. and the skin is very thick, but not calloused or hard.
I was also married and gave birth barefoot.

#378 of 784 Old 09-08-2007, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
got a question, does anyone else notice that they can wash their feet over and over, and they still look dirty, or is that just my feet.

oh LMAO, just look at my pic and you'll see what I'm saying. no I wasn't walking in dirt, my feet are just always dirty looking

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#379 of 784 Old 09-08-2007, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailey's mom View Post
got a question, does anyone else notice that they can wash their feet over and over, and they still look dirty, or is that just my feet.

oh LMAO, just look at my pic and you'll see what I'm saying. no I wasn't walking in dirt, my feet are just always dirty looking
yeah, I have that. doesnt bother me. a really good scrub in a long hot bath helps. but its dirt ingrained into the rough skin.

#380 of 784 Old 09-08-2007, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
I'm not strictly barefoot anymore, when I was slinging DD all the time, I started to get really bad back pain when walking on paved roads in cities, and in the end, (about 3 years ago) I caved and bought myself some othropedic sandals. (figuring that shoes was better than a stroller in saving my back).
Really? Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. Since ditching my shoes, my "chronic" back pain has gone away completely. But I'm not slinging anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnn27 View Post
my husband says i have flinstone feet, he hates it, they are hard as nails, but i would have it know other way.
That surprises me too. I don't know too many barefooters in real life but over at Society for Barefoot Living the consensus seems to be that feet stay soft, even though the soles get thicker and can withstand more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailey's mom View Post
It's not just your feet.
#381 of 784 Old 09-08-2007, 11:28 AM

Quick question: are there any flat-footed barefooters here? DH is PAINFULLY flat-footed and goes NOWHERE without his orthotic sneakers. I mean, he gets dressed in the morning and puts slippers on because he can't stand in the kitchen without them.

Does anyone have suggestions for him? I'm a clogs/flip-flops/crocs gal myself, though I do have to wear dressy shoes to synagogue and work, so I own a couple. I'd love for DH to feel more comfortable barefoot, especially in the house.

TIA!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#382 of 784 Old 09-08-2007, 02:00 PM

From what I've been reading about barefooting, it looks like flat feet are caused by shoes (or more probably, the unnatural gait that wearing shoes causes). I have heard of flat footed people going barefoot and it improving their condition, but they were not in pain. Unfortunately if it's painful to go barefoot, I'm not sure what to do. I did find this online, which has some exercises at the bottom. Maybe that would be helpful?
http://www.easyvigour.net.nz/fitness...eus_max_ap.htm
#383 of 784 Old 09-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Mab

greetings from another barefoot mama!

I have to share this:
I live in Argentina. There is a very small town in the province of Cordoba called San Marcos Sierras. It's a all natural/alternative living little haven which I LOVE. I spend time there in the summer and would love to live there all the time. Anyway, people there are barefoot all the time. It's not weird to meet with barefoot folk walking around town. And if you look at the town webpage, barefooting is actually encouraged, to keep in touch with Earth. It says, "walk barefoot every day, at least a little"
#384 of 784 Old 09-10-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Quick question: are there any flat-footed barefooters here? DH is PAINFULLY flat-footed and goes NOWHERE without his orthotic sneakers. I mean, he gets dressed in the morning and puts slippers on because he can't stand in the kitchen without them.

Does anyone have suggestions for him? I'm a clogs/flip-flops/crocs gal myself, though I do have to wear dressy shoes to synagogue and work, so I own a couple. I'd love for DH to feel more comfortable barefoot, especially in the house.

TIA!
Barefooter here... My mother was a barefooter (including leaving the house!) from childhood, and I was too. I developed flat feet from being forced to wear shoes to school in high school.

As soon as I graduated (and subsequently became pregnant), I was free to barefoot 24 hours a day again. And my arches raised.

It's now been 5 years since high school and my arches are where they were in childhood (relatively high), and my feet no longer ache.

I found that foot-stretching exercises, similar to what professional ballerinas do, are extremely helpful. Sit on the floor with legs extended in front of you. Point your toes and curl your feet, stretching to attempt to make your toes touch the floor. Hold, then bring back slowly. Then bring them back, trying to make your toes touch your calf. Hold, then relax. If needed, help your DH do this at first.

DH is painfully flatfooted as well, and now barefoots the majority of his time. It took about 6 months of stretches and very slight stints of barefooting at a time to get his feet back into somewhat of good shape. Good luck!
#385 of 784 Old 09-11-2007, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mab View Post
greetings from another barefoot mama!

I have to share this:
I live in Argentina. There is a very small town in the province of Cordoba called San Marcos Sierras. It's a all natural/alternative living little haven which I LOVE. I spend time there in the summer and would love to live there all the time. Anyway, people there are barefoot all the time. It's not weird to meet with barefoot folk walking around town. And if you look at the town webpage, barefooting is actually encouraged, to keep in touch with Earth. It says, "walk barefoot every day, at least a little"
: I've been to Cordoba! wow, I loved it there! We didn't stay long; we were down south near Bariloche for a long time (barefooting in the snow and all).
Are you Argentinean?

#386 of 784 Old 09-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Mab

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
: I've been to Cordoba! wow, I loved it there! We didn't stay long; we were down south near Bariloche for a long time (barefooting in the snow and all).
Are you Argentinean?
I am
I love Cordoba. and I lived in Bariloche when i was a kid, so cool about barefooting in the snow!!
#387 of 784 Old 10-28-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin'Momto4 View Post
I LOVE being barefoot, I am like that 90% of the time unless I am going somewhere that requires shoes but DH on the other hand always has to have shoes on! Right after he gets dressed in the morning, he throws shoes on even if he isn't going anywhere. It kind of drives me nuts...LOL!
We are the same way...I buy cheap flipflops to wear in public and I run so I wear running shoes to run, but other than that, I never wear shoes.
I don't really have anything against them, they are just inconvenient and it's much more comfy without them. I also think that being forced to wear constricting boots everyday for 5 years (I was in the Marines) makes going barefoot even better.

Jessica ~ SAHM to Julianne (5-19-07) & Jocelyn (8-10-08) #3 12-25-10
Wife to my best friend and love of my life
#388 of 784 Old 10-29-2007, 05:59 AM

There are a lot of benefits to running barefoot, actually. It's an adjustment but you might look into it.

I can't stand flipflops. You have to scrunch your toes to keep them on, and it can really screw with your feet over time. Apparently some people don't feel the scrunch, but it drives me crazy.

I'm happy to say I haven't put shoes on since July and my feet love me for it.
#389 of 784 Old 10-29-2007, 06:02 PM

alcyone, how're ya holding up with the winter coming??

I managed to survive in Germany barefoot intoearly december... but then I just got on a plane south I've spent time barefoot in snowy climes, but never for any extended periods. I'm just wondering how a danish winter will go...

#390 of 784 Old 10-29-2007, 06:36 PM

Unfortunately at work and school the floors are cement, but when possible I go barefoot.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page