Any other Barefooters out there? - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 784 Old 10-30-2008, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
YOu should check out Soft Star Shoes They have sizes for all ages...even us! I am patiently awaiting purchasing myself a pair...maybe for Christmas??
Problem is that the ones for adults are mocs... so not really shoes as I think of them. And beyond the really small sized the kids shoes are not very flexible at all. They are great quality, though.

I actually don't think there are any "barefoot" shoes out there for kids. Even SKR and such are very much shoes, although flexible. That is why I started making my own for dd. What I mean is that IMO shoes should have thin, flat soles, only thick enough to keep the feet safe and so on. And the insole should also be flat and flexible and only thick enough to keep the foot warm enough. When it is warm, no insole is needed...

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#482 of 784 Old 10-30-2008, 05:36 PM

Hilarious thing happened at the park.

[adoring mother and cute baby playing at the playground in the sand box, when a late middle aged woman comes over from the jogging path to talk to me (adoring mother), I had seen her when she walked by earlier and smiled at her. I kinda thought she was coming over to tell me that her daughter was looking for a nanny and she thought that I was such a great mother that I would be perfect, and was I looking to make some extra money? Yes, I'm a little fanciful and full of myself...HA!]

Late Middle Aged Woman: Does he have shoes?!

Me: No.

LMAW: I don't appreciate him playing in the cold water with no shoes on.

(20 minutes or so ago, we'd been splashing in the warm water that collected on the black mats under the swing, I rolled up Caleb's pants so they wouldn't get wet. Even if it hadn't been heating up all day, Caleb wouldn't have played in it if he'd been too cold. Duh. It's not like I was holding him down in the water.)

Me: [blank stare]

LMAW: I know it isn't my business, but he's my business. (at my blank stare she repeats herself, me still thinking "huh?") Do you understand what I'm saying??

Me: Um, I understand that it's none of your business.

LMAW: But HE is my business. (still no response from me, not sure what she was looking for). If you don't put shoes on him I'm going to go over there and call the police!

Me, laughingly: Go ahead.

LMAW: I will!!

Fifteen minutes later a cop showed up and told me that they got an anonymous phone call that a child was at the park unattended and in barefeet. HAHAHAHAHAHA! He thought she was a little uptight and went back to protecting the good citizens of Medford.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#483 of 784 Old 10-30-2008, 09:27 PM

Did any of you ever step on something and get hurt? WOuld it have mattered if you had shoes on or no?

Our island has lots of prickly things. There are two guys on our island that are known for going barefoot everywhere (you Mommas would love it- no where you can go on the island that would MAKE you wear shoes!) The soles of their feet are so THICK! So even if they stepped on something they would just pull it right out- Actually one time I noticed one fo the guys had what we call buzzard grass poking right out of one of his toes and told him about it- he shrugged and pulled it out- hadn't even felt it! lol

I'll slowly toughen my feet up around my house and on the road until I feel like my soles are thick enough to walk all over like that

Cute tribe- maybe I'll join you all one of these days...
#484 of 784 Old 10-30-2008, 09:35 PM

Did any of you ever step on something and get hurt? WOuld it have mattered if you had shoes on or no?

Our island has lots of prickly things. There are two guys on our island that are known for going barefoot everywhere (you Mommas would love it- no where you can go on the island that would MAKE you wear shoes!) The soles of their feet are so THICK! So even if they stepped on something they would just pull it right out- Actually one time I noticed one fo the guys had what we call buzzard grass poking right out of one of his toes and told him about it- he shrugged and pulled it out- hadn't even felt it! lol

I'll slowly toughen my feet up around my house and on the road until I feel like my soles are thick enough to walk all over like that

Cute tribe- maybe I'll join you all one of these days...
#485 of 784 Old 10-31-2008, 04:29 AM

When I first started out, I got some small things in my feet, but it's been a while. Big things tend not to be an issue, and small things are only a problem until your soles get a bit tougher. Which, by the way, they aren't very likely to do around the house, unless your floors are made of gravel or something. Carpeting, hardwood, linoleum… none of those are going to do anything at all to toughen up your feet. The only way to do it is to walk on things you think you "can't" walk on. It's not always that fun at first, but if you keep at it, it gets betters. Do it for just a couple minutes at a time and eventually work up to longer times.
#486 of 784 Old 10-31-2008, 08:29 AM

sweetpeppers, that is HILLARIOUS!

"LMAW: I know it isn't my business, but he's my business"

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#487 of 784 Old 11-04-2008, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeppers View Post
LMAW: I know it isn't my business, but he's my business. (at my blank stare she repeats herself, me still thinking "huh?") Do you understand what I'm saying??
what does this even mean? I'm so confused. Dietys help the little old ladies who heckle me and my kids. All I get now is "hippy" comments about barefeet and dreads.

On another note. I think I am taking the plunge. I have warn my last pair of shoes so there is really no sole left. I'm not getting another pair. I'm going to try my hardest, Ohio winters are gross and I'll be getting more pregnant.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#488 of 784 Old 11-04-2008, 11:47 PM

yay kriket! I went several years without owning a pair of shoes

#489 of 784 Old 11-13-2008, 10:33 PM

Wow I didn't know there were others like me!!!:
I live in Northern VT and go barefoot pretty much all the time. I've always loved feeling the Earth on my feet. I've been told I am disgusting, that my feet look horrible, it's not "lady like" and worse of all? "That's how you get worms"
It's November and I am still barefoot outside! I always forget to wear shoes and it drives my husband mad!
Although he finds it amusing to find my barefeet tracks going from the house to the barn in the snow
#490 of 784 Old 11-13-2008, 10:46 PM

worms.... ptth.

these are probably the same people that let their dogs lick them on the mouth. We have 2 dog rules. No blowing in the aussies face, and no letting them lick you in the face. Raw fed dogs WILL give you salmonella.

Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#491 of 784 Old 11-14-2008, 05:06 AM

If you're in a big city, no one mentions worms, but instead needles. Apparently shoddies think hyperdermic needles litter the streets, along with shards of glass bottles, rusty nails, and steaming piles of poo in a manner so dense we have no option but to plow through and slice up our poo-crusty feet into oblivion.
#492 of 784 Old 11-14-2008, 11:30 AM

Alcyone: I aspirated my coffee.

You hit the nail on the head! People act like I'm trying to grind my feet down to the ankles!

#493 of 784 Old 11-14-2008, 02:05 PM

Poo Crusty feet LOL!

Yeah I get alot of weird looks for it but barefeet keep my grounded. When I wear shoes I can't focus on anything but the tight feeling on my feet. My Mom says even as a baby I used to cry and pull my shoes and socks off.

I can honestly say I am worm-free but some people around here like to think otherwise!
The most I've had happen is stepping on hot coals while stoking the woodstove (burrrrrrrrn) or getting hay slivers in my toes.
#494 of 784 Old 11-14-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootQueen View Post
getting hay slivers in my toes.
ew! Timothy head thingys are the worse! those casing things with the forked tops! They stick right under your toenails!

#495 of 784 Old 11-14-2008, 02:52 PM

LOL. All the recent posts are great, 911 calls from the Park, COSTCO , "UN-Lady-Like"

The Eewww Factor is Crazy!

i just looked over a GAIAM Mag i was delivered in the mail, with a "Cobblestone" mat. to improve health etc...

All i could think is "Hello" Barefooting it can change everything. We've lost touch with REALITY!

LOVE and HUgs. i was scrubbing my poor feet yesterday.

Keep on Walking Mamas~*
Peace!
#496 of 784 Old 11-14-2008, 05:23 PM

Hi, I want to get in on this thread. I'm pretty much always barefoot except going into stores and school and such. I usually have to keep sandals in the car in case I forget some. I run and hike barefoot, even in winter. I haven't had any significant injuries. My most annoying barefoot related thing is at an amusement park over the summer, I never realized they wouldn't let a 17 month old on rides just because he was barefoot. Its not like he was walking around anywhere or would put his feet on something or put his feet somewhere they could get hurt. It was just things he'd be sitting on my lap for. He was so upset because my sister was going on everything. My MIL always tells me the thing about worms. I find it amusing when the other mom at the playground makes comments about how its dangerous for children to play there barefoot, all while her children are tripping around in those croc like shoes that don't even have backs on them. How can she think that is safer for running and climbing. Most people don't really seem to care or notice if I'm barefoot, but everyone seems so bothered about my son being barefoot. This looks like a fun thread.

Amy, wife of Ben and mommy of Paul (4/9/07), (7/09) and Charlie (5/13/10)
#497 of 784 Old 11-14-2008, 08:40 PM

I've had worms in my toes and under my toenails. but that was in mozambique. any of you going barefoot on the beach in mozambique, or northern brazil, be warned

i've also seen people with hookworm in their feet from walking barefoot on the beach in northern brazil.
and yeah, pretty much *everyone* goes barefoot on the beach

it's amazing how good a "landmine" radar I've got IRT poop/ hazards on the footpath. but for some reason shod people don't get that. I guess because they just walk around without paying any attention to where they're stepping or what they're stepping on
hardly counts as walking lightly on the earth iyam

#498 of 784 Old 11-15-2008, 01:08 PM

I'm talking to those that go barefoot everywhere. How do you respond to store personnel when they tell you to put shoes on? I don't get harassed everywhere, but at least half of the places that I go. I don't really want to get into a big thing about it, I just want to be left alone. I hate having anything on my feet, and I'm not going to start wearing shoes on surfaces like tile and carpet. It's stupid. So what do you serious barefooters do about this problem?

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#499 of 784 Old 11-15-2008, 01:29 PM

I've never been asked to put shoes on in a store. I think that might be an American phenomenon. But it's a topic that comes up frequently on SBL. Generally, the responses seem to be along the lines of looking confused and asking why. If they claim it's the law, part of a health code, or similar, you can present facts. SBL's site has letters from the health departments of every state to prove there is no law, if you're in the US. If they bring up OSHA, point out that only employees are affected by OSHA and not customers.

If it's a store policy, though, there's not much you can do since they have the right to refuse anyone's entry/money. You could write to the store owner or corporate HQ and ask why your money isn't welcome, but I wouldn't hold my breath expecting a change in policy.
#500 of 784 Old 11-15-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I'm talking to those that go barefoot everywhere. How do you respond to store personnel when they tell you to put shoes on? I don't get harassed everywhere, but at least half of the places that I go. I don't really want to get into a big thing about it, I just want to be left alone. I hate having anything on my feet, and I'm not going to start wearing shoes on surfaces like tile and carpet. It's stupid. So what do you serious barefooters do about this problem?
well, I have a few suggestions.
1. Grow raging dreadlocks then people will look at your head, not your feet.
2. Shop in "mom and pop" places. ie. Kroger always gives me a racket, but never at Frank's.
3. Wear floppy pants to cover most of your feet.
4. You could try the belt thing! where you wrap a nylon webing (like you use to strap a sleeping bad to your pack) and wrap it around your foot to look like a sandal.
5. one of the other mamas here carrys ballet slippers just for these occasions. They make ones that aren't pink!

I don't really argue with people, if they tell me to put shoes on they obviously get off by being bosey and rude, so I just leave. Good luck!

#501 of 784 Old 11-16-2008, 12:52 AM

what alcyone and kriket said for a start :

I used to carry ballet slippers in my pocket if i knew i was going somewhere it could be an issue, or wearing long flowy skirts taht go to the floor so my feet aren't much showing.
but it's been a long time since i've had to deal with anyone having a problem with my barefootedness.

#502 of 784 Old 11-16-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
4. You could try the belt thing! where you wrap a nylon webing (like you use to strap a sleeping bad to your pack) and wrap it around your foot to look like a sandal.
I make barefoot sandals. They are so quick and easy! I do it because they're cute, but a lot of people don't notice they aren't really shoes if you don't spend a lot of time standing/sitting in one place.
#503 of 784 Old 11-16-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootQueen View Post
...and worse of all? "That's how you get worms"
seriously?

good witch
#504 of 784 Old 11-16-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
sweetpeppers, that is HILLARIOUS!

"LMAW: I know it isn't my business, but he's my business"
I will join you here on the floor

flippin' busy bodies... get a life!

good witch
#505 of 784 Old 11-22-2008, 06:25 PM

Today we had our first real snow of the season and it was coming down all big, beautiful, fluffy flakes, but not really that cold (about 33 F) and I had this conversation with my DD.

DD: I took a walk outside to appreciate the snow.
Me: Really? Did you wear your new boots?
DD: No, I went barefoot.

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

#506 of 784 Old 11-22-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
I make barefoot sandals. They are so quick and easy! I do it because they're cute, but a lot of people don't notice they aren't really shoes if you don't spend a lot of time standing/sitting in one place.
These are really pretty! Thanks for sharing!

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

#507 of 784 Old 11-23-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_Mommy View Post
Today we had our first real snow of the season and it was coming down all big, beautiful, fluffy flakes, but not really that cold (about 33 F) and I had this conversation with my DD.

DD: I took a walk outside to appreciate the snow.
Me: Really? Did you wear your new boots?
DD: No, I went barefoot.

cute!

#508 of 784 Old 11-23-2008, 06:30 AM

This is a tribe for me. I've always preferred bare feet and my kids are following in my footsteps. (DH prefers shoes. And he has itchy feet sometimes. Connection?) I'm glad for this tribe, because despite my comfort with bare feet, I haven't taken it as far as being barefoot while out shopping, etc. So when my daughters try to go shoeless when we go somewhere I keep saying things like, "It's too dangerous to run around the park without shoes." Good point someone upthread said, about being more aware of what's on the ground than those with shoes on. Makes sense.

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

#509 of 784 Old 11-23-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMichele View Post
about being more aware of what's on the ground than those with shoes on. Makes sense.
Its the truth, and it becomes uncontious. I was walking with a friend and they landed in dog crap, they asked me how I didn't because I should because I was barefoot, I told them I watch where I'm going!

Plus dog crap is pretty easy to get off bare feet.

#510 of 784 Old 12-17-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Hilarious thing happened at the park.

[adoring mother and cute baby playing at the playground in the sand box, when a late middle aged woman comes over from the jogging path to talk to me (adoring mother), I had seen her when she walked by earlier and smiled at her. I kinda thought she was coming over to tell me that her daughter was looking for a nanny and she thought that I was such a great mother that I would be perfect, and was I looking to make some extra money? Yes, I'm a little fanciful and full of myself...HA!]

Late Middle Aged Woman: Does he have shoes?!

Me: No.

LMAW: I don't appreciate him playing in the cold water with no shoes on.

(20 minutes or so ago, we'd been splashing in the warm water that collected on the black mats under the swing, I rolled up Caleb's pants so they wouldn't get wet. Even if it hadn't been heating up all day, Caleb wouldn't have played in it if he'd been too cold. Duh. It's not like I was holding him down in the water.)

Me: [blank stare]

Me: Um, I understand that it's none of your business.

LMAW: But HE is my business. (still no response from me, not sure what she was looking for). If you don't put shoes on him I'm going to go over there and call the police!

Me, laughingly: Go ahead.

LMAW: I will!!

Fifteen minutes later a cop showed up and told me that they got an anonymous phone call that a child was at the park unattended and in barefeet. HAHAHAHAHAHA! He thought she was a little uptight and went back to protecting the good citizens of Medford.
I think this woman is stalking me! Check out my post in parenting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page