Any other Barefooters out there? - Page 21 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#601 of 784 Old 03-23-2009, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, this is cool! I have never flet comfortable with shoes. I was lucky and lived in a lot of temperate climates growing up and avoided wearing them as much as possible.
Now I have a daughter and I am torn about shoes for her.
Right now it's winter-ish and she has 2 pairs of Robeez that I like because they are soft soled, I hate the idea of addicting her to soled shoes, it just seems wrong!
#602 of 784 Old 03-24-2009, 01:08 AM

Got into a discussion the other day about not wearing shoes with my brother in law and told him that shoes are just uncomfortable to walk alot in. He gave me a look of shock and said then wear flip flops. I told him that flip flops are not the greates to hike in. I would much prefer to go barefoot he thought I was kidding. I had to tell him that I have met some women (on here) that go barefoot everywhere and that one has hiked countries without shoes MF. He thought that was really exciting. So I think MF will have a new 11 year old stalker.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#603 of 784 Old 03-24-2009, 12:47 PM

It was so fun reading this whole thread. I didn't get to write much the other day (just posted a link), so I had to come back and introduce myself.

I am a 3rd generation barefooter (at the least...I'm sure my ancestors further back were, too.) My grandmother only wore shoes to go into town or to friend's houses. She even worked out in the garden (fields) barefoot.

My mom was the same way...only wearing shoes to go out somewhere. The rest of the time she is barefoot.

Me? I'm barefoot almost all the time. Even when I was teaching, as soon as I got to school off came the shoes. None of the children in my class wore shoes...even outside on the playground. If it is absolutely too cold to go barefoot or if I go somewhere nice, I'll wear Kinos (a brand of Cuban flip-flops.)

My kids will probably not be as ardent as I am, but that is because of my husband. He and his family wear shoes all.the.time! They even wear shoes in the house! The only time they are barefoot is in the shower and in bed. I am slowly (been working on it for ten years) weaning my husband off of shoes. He is the shoe whore in the family, but at least now, he rarely wears shoes inside. My kids don't really care one way or the other. I try and keep them barefoot as much as possible (they didn't even own shoes until they started walking), but they like wearing shoes, too.

Mama to: turtle 6August01 and frog 28May05 and ttc#3
#604 of 784 Old 04-02-2009, 02:06 PM

I am barefoot, whenever possible. I remember growing up in NC and going to the grocery store and library barefoot - they don't let you do that anymore *sigh* My kids are the same - the 10 month old only wears them 2% of the time. I've gotten my husband to relax on his own shoe wearing lol The teenager is our rebel though. *sigh* At least she isn't a prep...
#605 of 784 Old 04-17-2009, 04:56 PM

It's 70 degrees here :
EVERYONE (in my family anyways) IS BAREFOOT!!!

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#606 of 784 Old 05-06-2009, 10:54 AM

Cool thread.
I'm not a full-time barefooter, but I love love love being barefoot.
At home, in the car, in our yard, at the park - all barefoot. But I'm not at the point yet where I'm ready to barefoot while shopping or walking on the sidewalk. Nor am I ready to barefoot it in our northern Ontario winter. I'm a wimp and hate the cold as it is, even when I'm bundled up wearing my warmest winter clothing and -40celsius boots...lol

My most favourite moment every year is the first day I can stand out in my yard, barefoot, stretch out my toes and wiggle them into the ground. I love it. And I absolutely LOVE seeing my kiddos running around barefooted. A baby's foot is the most delicious thing ever, and should never be covered with a shoe...

Working at home, tattoo'd, metalhead momma - homeschooling Evan (1.22.'06) and Abigail (8.2.'08) fencing.gif , and happy partner to Kyle jammin.gif . 
#607 of 784 Old 05-06-2009, 03:40 PM
mlh

My 2 yr old is choosing to be barefoot all the time. She will wear shoes when we go out, but they always end up off at some point. There is nothing cuter than a 2 yr old walking around in a pink dress and barefeet!

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
#608 of 784 Old 05-07-2009, 12:07 PM

I don't own shoes for my 15 month old, nor do I want to buy any because HE DOESN'T NEED THEM, but I'm still dealing with the "homeless" association people have with barefooters around here. I'm afraid I'm so sick of it that I tend to be a bit nasty when I'm late for work because a total stranger stops me for the fourteenth time to inform me that I'm not wearimg shoes.

I'm stuill fuming from the UAV who practuically ran me off the road two weeks ago to shove a dollar bill in my face and say "God laid it on my heart to give this to you and tell you to buy formula for your baby instead of drugs and wine" while I was weariung a brand new Suse Kindercoat ($119) over a Girasol Earthy Rainbow (German style wrap carrier that cost another $100 used).

It's not my job to educate idiots like that and there is no such thing as the fashion police. .

I have thought about printing some info off the web that I can hand to judgemental people so I can just smile and say, "I don't have time to talk right now but this should answer any questions you have about the barefooting lifestyle."

Can anyone suggest something shiort, succinct, and easy on the printer ink?
#609 of 784 Old 05-07-2009, 09:32 PM

Isn't is Crazy The things other folks NEED TO TELL US!

BARE FEET ROCK!

xoxoxo, Peace~*
#610 of 784 Old 05-28-2009, 09:59 AM

SUBBING!
I actually made a barefoot tribe here loooooong ago under a different username, probably 4 or more years ago! So I'm so happy to see this here. I try to go barefoot as much as possible and when I'm not barefoot I'm wearing my flip flops. My son is the same, bare feet or flip flops. I get all kinds of crazy comments when I'm out with the kids. I don't go barefoot in stores (something always gets said, even when I tried wearing those straps that "trick the eyes" into thinking you have sandles on) but my son does because he's 2 1/2 and no one really pays attention.

I was so happy yesterday in Goodwill because my son was walking with me and a man stopped me and mentioned my son being barefoot. I thought, "Oh no...here we go" but you know what he did? He warned me that they had just swept up some glass so my son should be careful Yay!

Edit:
noordinaryspider: that's awful that someone did that! But just wondering, what does UAV stand for?
#611 of 784 Old 05-29-2009, 12:35 AM

Ever heard of five fingers? they're a type of shoe designed to allow you to actually use your feet muscles while walking, probably the closest you can get to being barefoot when shoes r a must. I was living in a hippy town in cali and one summer decided to see how long I could go w/o shoes -in stores and everything. Made it about a week, it got a little nasty- black feet and all. Feels good. Feels natural. Check out five fingers, you'll make lots of new friends wearing them cause everyone will want to talk to you about em
#612 of 784 Old 06-01-2009, 07:22 PM

I am a barefooter. My podiatrist told me that the only shoe I should ever wear was a Birkenstock. Cool, b/c that's all I wear anyways. I have been a barefoot or Birk woman since I was 18 or 19yo. I love shoes, but I love being barefoot A LOT BETTER!
#613 of 784 Old 06-01-2009, 09:32 PM

Well, it took almost three months of barefooting in stores and such to be noticed. I just started this year to barefoot because while I tried a few years ago, and did as often as I could tolerate walking like I was doing a pee-pee dance around the myriad industrial staples, screws, nails and roofing tacks strewn all over the roads all over the town we lived in (and in everyone's yards too). :

Now we live in a cabin in the woods with a dirt road that leads to the highway. We walk every day on the road and we're all barefoot all the time (except dh). We bring water shoes in the van when we go to town.

It took a little while to strengthen the soles of my feet to tolerate the pebbles and rocks that are everywhere here, and now I especially love walking on the dirt road because the pebbles are so soothing and invigorating to my whole body.

Our boys run on pebbles and rocks and tree limbs and whatever is on the ground. I picked a mass of thorns out of my sole the other day (they were from wild rose and were hidden under a pile of dry leaves and grass and twigs) and none of them penetrated through my sole; they just stuck in, so no injury and no blood! If I had been wearing my sandals, I still would have been poked at the sides of my feet and if they were not conditioned like they are now, I would have been bleeding for sure.

I love that my posture has changed to healthy and my health in general, especially my immune system, has improved dramatically since I added barefooting to my life (or took away shoes, whichever... ).

We barefooted in clay and mud swamps in front of our cabin and the flu that the children had the night before was gone by noon and both the children and I had great energy by the evening (I had a stomach ache previously and felt weak). Who has extra energy after a flu? We did that day and I know it was so helpful to our bodies to be barefoot in the earth's nutrients and detoxing agents.

Anyway, count us in. I am planning to make my own boots for the winter. We had -60C and lower here last year; we do need foot protection from the cold.

What do those of you who need cold, cold, winter footwear wear?

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#614 of 784 Old 06-04-2009, 05:59 PM

The only time I am not barefoot or wearing flip-flops is when there is snow on the ground. My husband always wears his shoes. ALWAYS. Like, he'll wear them in bed. It drives me nuts!

Happy mama to two homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg DD's
#615 of 784 Old 06-04-2009, 07:30 PM

shoes in bed *shudder*

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#616 of 784 Old 06-04-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
shoes in bed *shudder*
indeed, my dh wears socks in bed an i think thats gross!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#617 of 784 Old 06-06-2009, 06:25 PM

huh, I never thought of being barefoot as strange! I have never liked shoes and only wear flipflops or crocs if it's cold, the fleace lined ones are really warm...I don't need socks-yay!

I wouldn't do it in a store but every where I go (friends, church, when I worked etc) my shoes come off. I even take them off at teh library, dr's appts and once during therapy lol.

It's funny, it never once crossed my mind that it was not what everyone did!!

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#618 of 784 Old 06-08-2009, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I actually can't stand flip flops at all. They hurt my toes. I'll wear Birks sometimes, but prefer to be shoeless.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#619 of 784 Old 06-15-2009, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Hi! I am sitting here barefoot right now lol!
I never wear shoes inside, never! I do wear flipflops or sandals to go outside though, since I am always going into one of my animal pens. You don't want to step in a chicken pen with bare feet lol!
My husband is the opposite. He sometimes falls asleep with his shoes on. Ugh. His feet are so soft, smooth, and delicate, and I laugh if he ever steps outside barefoot. He can barely take 2 steps out there! I joke that my feet are like dog's paws lol--I can walk almost anywhere barefoot!

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#620 of 784 Old 06-16-2009, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Who goes to school barefoot? I'd love too, but I work in an office that's in a building with some of the school administration. I need to stay on their good side, so I end up wearing shoes. :/

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#621 of 784 Old 06-16-2009, 12:54 AM

Oooooooooo i'm glad i found this thread.!

i am a big believer in no shoes or very little soled shoes for children and have recently learned that i like going barefoot myself.! essp. since most of the year it is snowy and below 0 here so my barefoot time is limited.

although i now covet the rope sandles in the first post!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#622 of 784 Old 06-16-2009, 04:04 AM

I used to go to high school barefoot (while I was still in high school )

#623 of 784 Old 06-16-2009, 11:29 AM

I've never been a fan of shoes, they just aren't as comfortable as being barefoot! I don't wear shoes in my house, or in other people's houses, but just about anywhere else I have to. I am a big fan of flip flops when I can wear them, and flats for work/church, although I've been getting away with bare feet at church recently too since I'm pregnant I actually went without shoes the entire week at summer camp one year, it was on a college campus so there were lots of hot asphalt parking lots, but it didn't bother my toes a bit.

My big issue has always been that I have super high arches, so shoes never have enough support for me, yet barefoot has never been a problem.

Jessica , wife to L (8-5-05), Mama to H (9-18-09)
Regretting our decision to circ after complications that could have killed our baby boy!
#624 of 784 Old 06-20-2009, 07:50 PM

I am sooo happy: my youngest told daddy yesterday that he wanted to stay beary toed all day. My dh goes barefoot alot too but when we go out to town I wear ballet flats or flip flops. But dh and the boys will wear their flip flops or tennis shoes but my youngest refused and my dh didnt fight him on it he let him go totally beary toed (yep that is how he says it). He told me how when he went outside he felt the mud on his toes he had a big grin on his face bigger then this smilie:. He is soooo much like his mommy. My dh still cant walk on rocks barefoot because well he just recently started going barefoot he was soo impressed that his child could do it without wincing even a little. I love it hung up clothes and picked up the backyard and cleaned out the pool without shoes on and my dh is very impressed by this. Wierd huh? Anyway just wanted to update everyone on this.

#625 of 784 Old 06-24-2009, 04:49 PM
mlh

My youngest (2.5 yrs) refused to wear shoes. I just carry a pair of flip flops in my bag so when we go somewhere that we feel she needs them, we can slip them on. We have been hiking a lot lately and making her wear her hiking shoes...it is a huge struggle to get them on her, but it's getting better. I don't blame her though because mama usually wheres flip flops (the good Chaco kind) while hiking and takes them off any change I get. I think barefoot kids are sooo cute!

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
#626 of 784 Old 06-25-2009, 09:43 PM

love love love barefooting, only wear them when I have too, lived out in the woods for a year with the fam and really enjoyed feeling the ground under my feet constantly, and for some reason...i really like to drive barefoot?

:'n mama to Lotus and Zen :
#627 of 784 Old 06-27-2009, 09:31 PM

I love driving barefoot as well.

#628 of 784 Old 06-29-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdipemomof2boy View Post
I love driving barefoot as well.
So do I.

*delurking*

Someone once told me it was illegal to drive barefoot in NY. I wonder how they'd even find out?

I used to carry the IN laws about being barefoot with me everywhere I went, but no one ever bothered me about being barefoot, so I stopped.

I don't like to wear shoes. I find it creates a little tension with potential suitors, but that just lets me know they don't have as much potential as I first thought!

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#629 of 784 Old 07-26-2009, 07:47 PM

Haven't been around for a while, but hi, I'm back.
I LOOOVE to drive barefoot, actually when it's warm I only wear shoes if I have to go into a store (and I carry a pair of sandals with me for that purpose )

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#630 of 784 Old 07-26-2009, 10:22 PM

I can't drive at all if I've got shoes on.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page