Any other Barefooters out there? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 784 Old 07-20-2006, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thats so funny theres actually a group of activists Id never of thought! Me and my kiddos are almost always barefoot but just because Im too lazy and dont mind the feel of grass between my toes. Unless were going to the store were barefoot - oh and in the winter frostbite wouldnt be fun.
#182 of 784 Old 07-21-2006, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~MommaCarrie~
Thats so funny theres actually a group of activists Id never of thought! Me and my kiddos are almost always barefoot but just because Im too lazy and dont mind the feel of grass between my toes. Unless were going to the store were barefoot - oh and in the winter frostbite wouldnt be fun.
Welcome to MDC and to the barefooter tribe!!!

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#183 of 784 Old 07-21-2006, 01:39 AM

In the mornings (except for this week, too many other things going on, though I'm *totally* missing the walk!) I go on a walk with a couple other moms. They're about as mainstream as they come, though they all breastfed for six months to a year.

For whatever reason I find it perfectly fine to mention the vax issue (in a totally calm, non-judgemental way because honestly these moms had never even thought to question it... at least they thought about questioning it... whether they did or not? well, that's their journey), I show off my pit and leg hair, I shout the wonders of baking soda and vinegar from the rooftops, I'll show off the most recent cloth diaper I sewed up, etc.... but gosh... the moment I begin talking about the joys of being barefoot .... and *gasp* keeping kids out of shoes for at least a year?!?

You would have thought I was walking naked down the street and nobody knew quite how to tell me.

Seriously. I thought it was the most bizarre thing. I guess I just figured barefootism would be a pretty lukewarm topic that would just be fun to talk about. But it was like I totally killed the conversation. I'm not sure if they thought I was judging that they had put hard-soled shoes on their older kids or what.....

At least I brought up soft-soled (leather) shoes. One mama was all about those.

(but don't get me started on the germs thing.... I figure there are far worse germs *living* in some people's shoes!)

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#184 of 784 Old 07-21-2006, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean

(but don't get me started on the germs thing.... I figure there are far worse germs *living* in some people's shoes!)
yeah totally I agree!! yucky swampy shoes.

the only thing that worries me is stepping on rusty things, or glass and what not. which is sadly not all that uncommon around here. but germs? i can wash those off!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#185 of 784 Old 07-21-2006, 11:07 AM

I really can't believe the violent reactions I get from people. Mainly from cloth dipes, being hairy, and going barefoot. I don't know if they somehow take it as a personal criticism. I usually am just trying to make interesting conversation. Ya know? Mostly they just chalk it up to being a crazy hippie. Oh ya, the no poo thing kills them too. Somehow that just solidifies it in their minds that I'm dirty. I can just hear them "I mean, she doesn't shave or use shampoo, how gross. Look at her feet with callouses. How unfeminine. She's trying to save the world one diaper at a time. Doesn't she know it's a hopeless cause? Let's just pollute and not think about it." I'm starting to get lots of comments about my 13mo old dd not wearing shoes. I tell them about feet development & they just look at me like I'm crazy. I did just get her some soft leather shoes for when she starts walking. But other than slippers in the winter, she's never worn shoes.

judybean - OT but I'd love to talk to you sometime about your experiences as a NFL Trad. especially regarding gentle discipline k? Maybe the Quiverfull tribe would be better?
#186 of 784 Old 07-21-2006, 03:46 PM

Been branching out with the bare feet lately. Guess it just never dawned on me I COULD. Been trained to wear shoes everywhere, KWIM? I love the cool tile in the stores on my bare feet. Best is still the damp grass after the rain though.
Question for you all...what do you wear on your feet in the winter?
#187 of 784 Old 07-21-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmpetplaya
Well... I always warn people IRL that I'm terrible with names
I think EC and barefooting go together in a different paradigm from normal kind of way... both diapers and shoes are perceived as being necessary and normal in modern society and yet they're both optional
yes! so so true!
and im horrible at even remembering people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny
the only thing that worries me is stepping on rusty things, or glass and what not. which is sadly not all that uncommon around here. but germs? i can wash those off!
when i was little i got a rusty old roofing nail through my foot while i was wearing shoes... man that sucked.

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#188 of 784 Old 07-22-2006, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonia80
Been branching out with the bare feet lately. Guess it just never dawned on me I COULD. Been trained to wear shoes everywhere, KWIM? I love the cool tile in the stores on my bare feet. Best is still the damp grass after the rain though.
Question for you all...what do you wear on your feet in the winter?
Yay! I think it's really the pervasive idea that shoes are necessary that encourages people to comment about bare feet and prevents most people from even thinking about not wearing shoes (especially in public). I had to read about it online and find out that it was legal and safe and that I wasn't the only one before I tried doing it in public (as an adult) also. I wonder WHY it's so pervasive Maybe because you can't really sell shoes to people who don't wear them... capitalism, ya' gotta love it

I don't know what I'll wear on my feet in the winter (if there is a winter for much longer... I just watched Al Gore's film "An Inconvenient Truth" - don't like HIM, but the movie was good - about global warming and &*($^#$&*!!!!! I kinda wish I didn't know about it... with knowledge comes responsibility...) because I just started the whole barefooting thing. I guess I'll wait and see. I have sandals and it never snows around here anymore so... I know there are people who hike barefoot in the snow though so it CAN be done.

There are some studies showing that getting wounded on the feet while wearing shoes is much more dangerous than while barefoot. I should look them up again... Shoes serve as perfect incubators for all kids of bacteria and fungi. In fact... the story about getting athlete's foot in the locker room/public showers is only true if you go barefoot into the locker room and then put shoes on afterwards because athlete's foot doesn't grow easily or at all on unshod feet.

I know a few barefooters who can put a piece of curved glass, pointy side up, on the ground and crush it beneath their heal without getting cut. So I guess glass stops being an issue after going barefoot long enough

love and peace.

#189 of 784 Old 07-22-2006, 04:58 PM

Hey, mamas! Long time. I am so glad that the server is up and I have a moment to get on here

judybean-I can't believe those mamas freaked out so much about barefooting.: Seems strange. It amazes me how many people think barefooting is so crazy.

During the winter it doesn't get too cold here. And almost never snows, so I usually can get away w/ barefoot for quite a while. However, I do have some pairs of soft soled sock shoes that I usually wear out and about. I picked them up at a hippie shop in town, but I think they sell some on gypsy rose's site. If I feel that the weather is just too much for barefeet or soft shoes I wear a pair of comfy old knock off vegan birk clogs. They are really comfy, too.

On the subject of nakedness...dd, as I mentioned spends quite a bit of time nude. We were visiting my parents over the last few days and my dad kept telling dd that she needed to put some clothes on. She cried and then when she took a shower she was so embarassed to be nude

Beth, Mama to dd , wife to dh , teacher :~ Living, Loving, Learning...everyday.
#190 of 784 Old 07-22-2006, 10:33 PM

Wow never knew their was a name for it. I went barefoot as a kid we only had flip flops for summer time outings and shoes for church. My kids have tons of shoes they only wear when were going somewhere. SAHM so my kids are home a lot and barefoot a lot. My DH makes them wear shoes to go outside but the thing is he doesn't know is mom never does so they go barefoot a lot. Me I am barefoot right now just looked all the kids are too. Were all barefoot about 90percent of our day and the other 10 is if were going somewhere which some days we just don't go anywere. Mostly the weekends we are out and about.
#191 of 784 Old 07-23-2006, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I know a few barefooters who can put a piece of curved glass, pointy side up, on the ground and crush it beneath their heal without getting cut. So I guess glass stops being an issue after going barefoot long enough
i used to be able to do this as a child. i used to freak out the shoe wearing children in the neighborhood when i jumped off a 4 foot ledge onto broken glass bwahaha...
and i spent summers barefoot in the middle of the desert in arizona. my mom used to call me asbestos feet.

cant do it anymore though...

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#192 of 784 Old 07-23-2006, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxybat
i used to be able to do this as a child. i used to freak out the shoe wearing children in the neighborhood when i jumped off a 4 foot ledge onto broken glass bwahaha...
:

That's awesome!!!

love and peace.

#193 of 784 Old 07-23-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxybat
and i spent summers barefoot in the middle of the desert in arizona. my mom used to call me asbestos feet.

cant do it anymore though...
Wow mama! Stunts like that...did you make a few bucks?

My feet seemed much stronger when I was younger. They are still pretty strong when it comes to cuts and sharp objects (just sensitive to the hot asphalt). I can walk through the dunes at the beach and if I get a sandspur in my foot it doesn't hurt, but broken glass.....

#194 of 784 Old 07-24-2006, 09:47 AM

Fellow barefooter checking in here!

I'm glad I found this thread! I'm barefoot the majority of the day unless I have to go somewhere. My kids run around barefoot too. It never crosses my mind to put on shoes when I'm at home. Even when I go out to back yard. And I've been like that since I was a kid. I've never liked wearing shoes.

The shoe thing was also why I never could get into the Flylady system. Wearing shoes around the house just doesn't make any sense to me. I even kick them off when I go to the park with the kids.

Nice to see there are so many others like me!
#195 of 784 Old 07-25-2006, 03:23 AM

oh my god, thankyou for this thread
I hate shoes always have.
#196 of 784 Old 07-25-2006, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome, queen, arlecchina, and joy! Always good to see new barefooters

love and peace.

#197 of 784 Old 07-25-2006, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Enjoying the "new posts" restoration and stumbled across this tribe. I'm only moderately hard-core on the bare-feetness, but I read this and remembered a passage from Thor Heyerdahl's book on Easter Island.

Easter Island is made of sharp volcanic rock that the residents walked barefoot on with impunity. All the westerner's shoes quickly got sliced up on the rocks. The missionaires gave shoes to the children--who quicklyl returned to their barefooted-ness when the shoes got sliced up on the rocks. The shoes couldn't handle it, but their feet were fine.
#198 of 784 Old 07-25-2006, 11:17 AM

That'a an awesome story tie-dyed! Welcome! It's so freeing to be barefoot!
#199 of 784 Old 07-25-2006, 01:55 PM

I forget whether I mentioned this before, but I found this thread and all of Trmpetplaya's links to the Society for Barefoot Living right about the time my Doc Martins wore out and I was very worried about not being able to afford comfortable walking shoes. I now have a pair of Dollar Tree flip-flops which live in my left hand (I put them on when going into stores sometimes) and a pair of el cheapos that are suitable for bicycle riding but not walking. I had one incident when my feet were first toughening up where I accidentally blistered my soles on hot pavement, but I was fine a few days later, much more quickly than when I tried to walk in my bicycle shoes.

I've walked barefoot across town several times since and am perfectly happy with this situation. It doesn't snow here very often so we'll see how I manage over the winter.

My dd is a homeschool graduate who very much wants to go to college; a replacement for the Doc Martins would probably have cost at least as much as tuition for a three unit class at our local community college.

I'm so happy to have realized that shoes are just one more stupid expense I can do just fine without once I think for myself instead of conforming. I was known as "The Barefoot Girl" as a child and have never worn shoes in my house or yard, but am brand new to barefooting in public.
#200 of 784 Old 07-25-2006, 04:31 PM

mmmm barefoot! I lived the first 27 years of my life without shoes... Now I moved from the beach, to the mountains where we have snow on the ground 8-10 months out of the year... The snow and the floor is now SOOOO cold!

Jenn mama to M(11), A(8), A (5), J (4), K(4mo)

#201 of 784 Old 07-28-2006, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

MDC ate my post I don't remember all that I said... maybe it wasn't that important

I wanted to welcome the new mamas to the tribe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie-dyed
Easter Island is made of sharp volcanic rock that the residents walked barefoot on with impunity. All the westerner's shoes quickly got sliced up on the rocks. The missionaires gave shoes to the children--who quicklyl returned to their barefooted-ness when the shoes got sliced up on the rocks. The shoes couldn't handle it, but their feet were fine.
I love this so much Thank you for sharing it!!!

love and peace.

#202 of 784 Old 07-28-2006, 08:27 PM

Checking in, mamas. Tomorrow we go to a wedding and I dreading wearing shoes I don't plan on wearing them once I sit down during the service and I expect to rip them off at the reception. I know that my feet will need a lot of breathing time after wearing dress shoes.

Peace~

#203 of 784 Old 07-28-2006, 11:43 PM

isn't it funny how dirty phobic people are? seriously? I think people would vacuum the dirt outta their lawn if they could figure out how! LOL

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#204 of 784 Old 07-29-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny
isn't it funny how dirty phobic people are? seriously? I think people would vacuum the dirt outta their lawn if they could figure out how! LOL
I don't doubt it one bit!!!!!! I, uh, maybe go to the other extreme on that : (I'm certainly not a housekeeper! It's not filthy, but just nicely lived in )

But on another note...

I'm so excited!! For whatever reason most things are way easier to speak about with strangers (even things such as lactivism, no-circ, no -- or at least informed -- vax, etc) than with family.... this even comes to barefooting it for me!!

But finally yesterday I was shopping with my mom and looking at some shoes for the girls (black mary janes for the winter months actually) and I finally did it. I found a pair of shoes made for wee little toesies and the soles were SOLID AS A ROCK. I couldnt' even bend them if I tried. (they were heavy too! ugh!)

So I made some comment to my mom about how terrible those shoes were since they didn't let little feet move like they were supposed to, etc..... and she totally agreed! I mean, obviously she couldn't *not* agree .... but still! Then she picked up some of those shoes that are marketed for babies that have the total ankle support and commented on how terrible those were as well!!

That got me on a roll and I got to chattering about how much better feet do when not confined by shoes, how arches can improve, how many fewer ankle injuries there are, and even how I'm more worried about what's in people's shoes than what's on the ground we walk on

She might have thought I was a bit silly (and by silly, I mean that I just got to talking and wouldn't be quiet ) but nodded and said it all made sense

I'm all about barefoot activism lately -- *especially* trying to protect the littlest of feet!! Poor babies with their feet all jammed into ill-fitting (and totally stiff) shoes! We'll liberate them two by two

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#205 of 784 Old 07-31-2006, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean
I'm all about barefoot activism lately -- *especially* trying to protect the littlest of feet!! Poor babies with their feet all jammed into ill-fitting (and totally stiff) shoes! We'll liberate them two by two
Totally!!! There's a grandmother in my church who was commenting on how far ahead dd is compared to her granddaughter as far as moving about (her granddaughter is a little chunk and dd is a pretty lean baby so that might have something to do with it - and dd is ridiculously ahead anyhow : ) and mentioned that she thought it might partially be because her daughter doesn't put shoes on her granddaughter. I took the opportunity to point out that my dd doesn't wear shoes either and that it's much healthier to be barefoot, especially for the first five years She completely changed her mind after about 10 minutes and laughed and said that her daughter is going to wonder how on earth she was convinced (the grandmother has been after her daughter about the shoes on the baby thing for the past 8 months ). I told her that her daughter knows what she is doing! I'm so happy that her daughter will be getting support from her mom now

love and peace.

#206 of 784 Old 07-31-2006, 08:22 AM

Barefoot activism- There is nothing better than educating people about the benefits of barefooting. Good for you mamas

I have to say that the biggest issue I find while talking w/ others and educating them about barefooting is the fear of germs and dirtiness while in public. I would love some links if any of you have some regarding this. I haven't looked, but figured maybe some of you had some links before I searched the web.

The wedding was great and I ended up spending much time barefoot
It is also very refreshing that each Sunday I worship the Lord in my barefeet.
This week the children led the celebration and danced around barefoot. It was awesome I also love the fact that when I take dd to the nursery, they don't have an issue w/ her barefeet.

Lots of peace~

#207 of 784 Old 08-05-2006, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother nurture
I have to say that the biggest issue I find while talking w/ others and educating them about barefooting is the fear of germs and dirtiness while in public. I would love some links if any of you have some regarding this. I haven't looked, but figured maybe some of you had some links before I searched the web.
This article was posted on the SBL list a little while back:

http://www.livescience.com/othernews...lean_rats.html

It's not directly about barefooting, but it's relevant

Here we go, just lay these facts on those people who are scared of being dirty and germy and yet still wear dirty germy shoes all day long It's from the barefoot children's site so it's about kids, but it's true about adult feet too!

http://www.unshod.org/pfbc/swc7.htm

Quote:
Accumulated sweat is accumulated waste which decays on feet which are covered. The child who wears shoes all day would need to bathe and change his socks twice a day, in order to keep his feet fresh. The barefooted child whose feet are soiled with dirt from lawns or floors of the house, would in this sense have cleaner feet than a child who has worn a shoe and stocking all day.
Decaying sweat sounds a lot dirtier and germier than plain old dirt. There are a bunch of links at the barefooters.org site about other concerns like athelete's foot (which can't survive on bare feet).

love and peace.

#208 of 784 Old 08-05-2006, 12:59 PM

Thanks mama.

#209 of 784 Old 08-15-2006, 06:52 PM

I found more 'shoes for barefooters' at a hiking store in Prescott, AZ. They actually look really neat for when you want some protection.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#210 of 784 Old 08-19-2006, 10:56 PM

I'm always barefoot! So are my kids and my dh... my home is a shoe free environment, lol. I usually wear birks if i have to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page