Any other Barefooters out there? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 784 Old 06-05-2006, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh and I discovered barefooting about six months ago and haven't looked back! It feels quite unnatural to wear shoes now (when we do have to wear shoes in stores and such we wear hemp Rainbow sandals).

Research on barefoot children -
http://www.unshod.org/pfbc/pfmedresearch.htm

And a wealth of info about the health benefits of bare feet can be found here along with pictures and testimonials and FAQs... -
http://www.barefooters.org/

Barefooters in action!
http://www.barefooters.org/gallery/a.../photos-1.html

ETA more links!

observations of the health benefits of barefooting:
http://www.shoebusters.com/

Sandals that are (almost) as good as going barefoot when you must wear shoes:
http://www.nomadicstate.com/

Dh has fallen arches because he wore hard-soled shoes all the time as a young child, but he actually has a bit of arch now since going barefoot for a few months

Hope there are more of you around and maybe there'll be some converts after researching the issue

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#2 of 784 Old 06-05-2006, 04:43 PM

I've always been this way. I only wear shoes when required, IE going to stores, restaurants or if the ground is too hot *summer temps over 110 here means very hot pavement*. When I do wear shoes it's Birks.
#3 of 784 Old 06-05-2006, 06:38 PM

i hate wearing shoes, too & have always been that way! i get so much grief about how unhygenic & gross i am because i choose to go barefoot.: i wear my birks when shoes are required.

i even go shoe-free as much as possible at work...one reason i cannot wait to become a SAHM! my home is a no shoe zone, too...i tell people to just try & not be relaxed when they're wearing no shoes!

baby arlo is now earthside! 11.23.2009
#4 of 784 Old 06-05-2006, 07:38 PM

Barefoot here! Heck I'm barefoot right now Always am. So are my children. They wear shoes if they chose to (except the baby). I wear Birkenstocks all year round (and I livein a place where it gets cold and snows) though my lone pair just kicked the bucket and I need a new one (and don't have $$$ layin around for some!) I want Birks for my kiddos When I was working on a website about my doula-ing and childbirth-related things, I called it The Barefoot Doula

Namaste, Tara
#5 of 784 Old 06-05-2006, 07:44 PM

I'm a barefooter at heart! I wear no shoes whenever possible, and encourage my children to do the same. When it's winter time, I wear a pair of danskos, super comfy, and not restrictive at all. I've been known to walk in snow barefoot whenever I can, much to dh's dismay. My kiddos don't wear shoes much at all either. I don't think they're neccesary. Others, including family may disagree.
#6 of 784 Old 06-05-2006, 07:46 PM

Those are very interesting links. I go barefoot probably 90% of the time but I always thought you couldn't go into stores and stuff barefoot. At first when I saw the title I thought you mean water-skiing.

Blessed mama of four
::
#7 of 784 Old 06-05-2006, 07:53 PM

I'm also a barefooter at heart, but really should start to practice more it. Love Born Shoes, Merrell Shoes, Nikes, Adidas, Reefs if I can't be barefoot.
#8 of 784 Old 06-05-2006, 07:53 PM

Double post
#9 of 784 Old 06-05-2006, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm probably more of a barefoot wannabe. I'm barefoot right now, worry about cutting my feet on stuff outside.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#10 of 784 Old 06-05-2006, 08:49 PM

I LOVE being barefoot, I am like that 90% of the time unless I am going somewhere that requires shoes but DH on the other hand always has to have shoes on! Right after he gets dressed in the morning, he throws shoes on even if he isn't going anywhere. It kind of drives me nuts...LOL! My kiddos also hate shoes and the little kids only wear shoes when we go to the store (except my 20 mth old) but my 9 and 6 yr old have to wear shoes all day to school. What shoes would be the best for them?

Julie (34)
Mom to 3 boys + 3 girls = PERFECTION joy.gif
Collector of TOYS!
#11 of 784 Old 06-05-2006, 08:59 PM

I go barefoot everywhere I can, but I personally choose not to drive barefoot or go into stores barefoot.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#12 of 784 Old 06-05-2006, 09:12 PM

Oh definetly. My DH hates that I go barefoot all the time and hates it even more that our kids do. My oldest had to wear his shoes 24/7 for a while because he had in-shoe braces. It was near impossible to keep them on him, though. He's just like his mamma. LOL.
#13 of 784 Old 06-05-2006, 09:17 PM

At the beginning of spring, my shoes come off and dont go back on till winter!! only some birks and dansko sandles when I need to go somewhere where its required!
#14 of 784 Old 06-05-2006, 10:42 PM

We are also a barefoot family. Unfortunately I have to wear shoes to work as does dh.

We love www.nomadicstate.com They are beautifully made and oh so comfortable. Definitely check them out.

BTW-trmpetplaya-nice to run into you on a board again since the young granola mamas.

Peace, love and free walkn' feet!

Beth, Mama to dd , wife to dh , teacher :~ Living, Loving, Learning...everyday.
#15 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 12:16 AM

Oh ya, I belong here! Shoes & I just don't get along! Always barefoot. If I have to wear shoes I wear my Keens they're SOOO comfy (and I don't like shoes) I'll even keep them on sometimes. I want birks though. I can't keep shoes on my kids. My 2 yr old even takes them off in church. They take them off & hide them when we go places! My 12 mo old has never worn shoes - just wool slippers! Here's to free & happy feet!
#16 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 12:30 AM

Well add me to the list I am always barefoot. I hate shoes.If we go somewhere I will wear flipflops * all seasons* I just hate to feel so ( looking for a word) tight..shoes laced and socks are a nightmare!

My kids wear crocks a lot do you all like them?
#17 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 12:39 AM

I am!
I used to go barefoot 24/7 to all stores and everything, but with a 14 month old DD I dont have time to argue about my rights when we REALLY need food from the store I am in KWIM?!?!
I just love it. Although I have been doing it for years (about 10) and my arches seem to have fallen alot, should I worry?
#18 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 12:54 AM

I just read the FAQs on the barefooters link and that is all very interesting. I love to go barefoot and do it as much as possible, but I didn't ever realize there were other "freaks" out there like me (well, excepting maybe those with a foot fetish and that's a whole 'nother website)!

I wish I had the balls (ovaries) to go barefoot everywhere all the time. I just dont dig the shoes all that much. Kudos to the barefooters!
#19 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 03:59 AM

count me in. i try to wear bedroom slippers when i can get away with it or its too cold to just go shoeless. i don't even bother with shoes if i'm going to the store a lot of times.
#20 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.r.i.t.s
If we go somewhere I will wear flipflops
I wish I could wear flip flops for those times that I have to wear shoes, but they feel so uncomfortable for my toes! Maybe I'm wearing the wrong ones?

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#21 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 05:54 AM

i am barefoot at heart. my home is a shoe free zone. my feet hate shoes. when i head out, i am sticktly in sandles or birk clogs. but it seems i only wear shoes til i get to my destination, and then off they go! i wish we didnt have such cold temps here or i would probably be barefoot outdoors all year round. i just freeze too much to be outside barefoot.
#22 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 08:33 AM

I am barefoot all summer. It would be sheer stupidity to do it in the winter here, I would lose my toes! I dance barefoot, I drive barefoot (sometimes) and my feet are so tough I can run accross the gravel driveway without wincing! When I was in college I would leave my shoes in my locker all day, and I was known as "socks" because that's what I always wore!

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
#23 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I dont have time to argue about my rights when we REALLY need food from the store I am in KWIM?!?!
I personally would go barefoot everywhere but yeah, when I'm toting three kids with me its really not always a good time to argue my rights.

My house is a shoe-free zone We live on a bunch of land and are barefoot on it. So we get plenty of foot free time. Except my MIL's stupid mulch. She mulches EVERYWHERE and I cannot walk barefoot over mulch no matter how much I have tried. My DH wears his nasty workboots in the house! It deives me insane. He's afraid of stepping on toys/other stuff on the floor. He doesn't get down with my "you can always wipe your feet if you step in something". I wish he woudln't wear shoes so much because my kids are picking up on it and often ask to wear shoes more than they used to. And their Grandma is always all "where are your shoes?" so my toddler thinks that he has to wear shoes sometimes when he doesn't. She's getting better though.

Namaste, Tara
#24 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy marja
When I was in college I would leave my shoes in my locker all day, and I was known as "socks" because that's what I always wore!
I am curious as to how many of you barefoot mamas wear socks. I really can't stand them. I only own probably around one pair for hiking. I will admit, though that during college I would wear sandals in the shower Just too many foot funk going on in those places.

Beth, Mama to dd , wife to dh , teacher :~ Living, Loving, Learning...everyday.
#25 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 03:25 PM

I'm often barefoot, even outside. I only wear shoes when I leave the house to go to a store or somewhere public. I wear flip flops a lot or sneakers if it's too wet/cold for flip flops. I am not a fancy shoe person!

The only thing I hate is how rough my feet get, I know that is part of going barefoot all the time and I hate wearing shoes all the time so it's something I have to deal with but I do hate that. My kids' are always barefoot like me, my dh always has shoes on, he hates going barefoot.
#26 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 03:31 PM

I wear the kind with cloth in between not the ones with the plastic that hurts!!!!
#27 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy marja
I am barefoot all summer. It would be sheer stupidity to do it in the winter here, I would lose my toes! I dance barefoot, I drive barefoot (sometimes) and my feet are so tough I can run accross the gravel driveway without wincing! When I was in college I would leave my shoes in my locker all day, and I was known as "socks" because that's what I always wore!
i love driving barefoot. in the summer i do it all the time. dh thinks i'm totally crazy because i can'y stand having hot feet so my shoes come off wearever and whenever the mood strikes!! my feet are not tough though and i cannot walk on rocks or gravel or hot sand. but they do get massaged every night by my lovely dh

chicken3.gifbelly.gifwow...i'm gonna have another one!!!
#28 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.r.i.t.s
I wear the kind with cloth in between not the ones with the plastic that hurts!!!!
Ah, that's what I've been doing wrong then... just wearing the plastic ones.

#29 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 03:35 PM

I drive barefoot but its illeagel in the state that we live in..
#30 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust
Ah, that's what I've been doing wrong then... just wearing the plastic ones.
yup the cloth just fits in between and its feels really comfortable

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page