Native American Mamas tribe - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 598 Old 11-19-2003, 12:01 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Arghhh! School is not going well. I am being suspended. LAck of resources for single mom's, lack of daycare, etc. Things were going really well, and then bam! We got sick, one right after the other. So, three weeks out, I fell too far behind. Then there was the week I had no money and no food and was begging the neighbors to feed my girls.
I love this small town and how safe I feel here with my girls, but if I want to finish college and go onto med school, I need to transfer out of here. I am just so scared, kwim? I also have no funds for moving right now, so I would have to spend next semester and the summer working.
I would have to find another college, find schooling for my 7 yr old, and daycare for the baby, and a home for us to live in. Then there's the whole medical insurance and money issue.
Right now, I am just so overwhelmed and exhausted.
I miss my family, but I know that I would never make it back to college if I move home, kwim?
Well, my baby is tearing up my apartment and needs a bath. thanks for letting me vent a little
#92 of 598 Old 11-19-2003, 12:36 PM
Banned

mama in the boonies- i'm sorry things are so hard. i'm not sure where you go to school now, but there is a program in grand forks, nd called inmed (indians into medicine). it's at the university of north dakota and i think it's supposed to be a pretty good program. it's aimed at getting indian students into the medical field, like doctors, pharmacists, that sort of thing. maybe that would be worth checking out? i think they'd offer a lot of support.
#93 of 598 Old 11-20-2003, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Vent away,MamaInTheBoonies! Best not to keep these things bottled up inside.
Plum had a good idea,have you looked into the INMED programs? I'm pretty sure they are nation wide. Also,there are IHS grants that pay for your college,your books,and give you a monthy stippend. They aren't easy to get,but filling out the paperwork would be worth every minute of the time spent on it if you did get it! There are several options out there for you. I hope you can find something that will be helpful.
About medical insurance,have you looked into medicaid or low income health insurance for your children? There is a program that is supposed to be in every state that qualifies all children w/out insurance for some kind of low cost health insurance. You could call your county health department and ask for an application. MANY families have taken advantage of this insurance. It truly can be a life saver when a little one is sick.
I'm so sorry that you ran out of money and was unable to get food. I cannot imagine how scared you must have been. I pray that this won't happen again.
Hang in there. You'll be in my thoughts!
#94 of 598 Old 11-22-2003, 01:44 PM
Banned

Thanksgiving pow-wow coming up at the Indian Center in Mpls. Anyone going? Or are there others you will be attending?
#95 of 598 Old 11-26-2003, 12:00 AM

CeraMae, I think a drum would be nice. If you can find someone that makes NA type drums..you might be able to contact the NA students associations at a college (if you have one by you) and see if they know someone that makes them. DD has a rattle that looks like a little drum on a stick with beads or something in it that I got from a lady at my church..it is neat.

Music and chant is a huge part of the Passamaquoddy religion and culture and I think that a drum would be the ideal gift. (IMO of course) You might be able to find an inexpensive one if you ask about one for a child. Or you can try contacting the Passamaquoddy and see if they know of someone who makes drums or what would make a nice gift.

About the doll making...you can find directions for making corn husk dolls. Some of them can be very elaborate and interesting. Course it is just a thought but it would be made of materials that were used for doll making in NA culture. (corn husk dolls were made by the Passamaquoddy, my tribe is in the same language family so there are some similarities)

huge site with Passamaquoddy info

http://www.native-languages.org/passamaquoddy.htm

Looking into the Tribe more I see they practice the Medicine wheel. There are books availible on the subject, I have one but I am not at home to get the title...

MamaintheBoonies, Also look into Haskell which is a NA college in Lawrence Kansas. I think it just has associates programs (not certain though)but it is a NA college and has aid programs for NA students.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#96 of 598 Old 11-30-2003, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone!
Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving,and I hope all is well with each and every one of you.

I would like you all to know about THIS THREAD. If you can help,or if you need help,please contact Trabot. I would love for everyone to have a great Holiday,and this is one way that we can help or get the help we need.

Take care! And I hope you all will check in soon.
#97 of 598 Old 11-30-2003, 06:37 PM
Banned

thanksgiving was fun. my mom came and brought a bunch of kids with her. they left yesterday and my house is still a mess.

littlebear'smama- i signed up for that thread. it looks fun.
#98 of 598 Old 12-01-2003, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

:LOL That sounds about right,Plum!:LOL I shouldn't laugh. It'll be my turn in a week or two!
I'm glad your Thanksgiving was good. And I'm glad to hear you signed on to help out! I know it will make a difference.
I wanted to tell you that I clicked the link in your siggy and Scout is gorgeous!
#99 of 598 Old 12-30-2003, 04:31 PM
Banned

hey how is everyone? did anyone see that movie on tv the last two nights, 'dreamkeepers'? i liked it; i'm all for seeing indians on tv.

you might find this interesting. the bottom three are my ancestors; james is my great grandpa. http://mceweb.cec.umt.edu/tribes/Kni...bjectid506.htm

where could i get a simple pattern for a little dress? i want to start on a dress for scout to dance in, and i figure this winter is a good time to start. either one piece or a simple top and bottom.

thank you, littlebear's mama, i think scout is cute too!
#100 of 598 Old 12-30-2003, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

I saw the movie,and I *loved* it. I can't believe they actually told REAL legends. I about fell out of my chair when grandfather rock rolled over coyote! I think they did a good job. Most the time when you see NA movies on t.v.,it is from the perspective of another culture. This movie really seemed to be from the perspective of the NA.
Neat pictures,Plum! What a wonderful thing to share w/your dd.
About the dress...what kind are you looking for and about what size? Are you looking for a traditional t-dress...something simple? For that,you might not even need a pattern. Just measure off how big you think she'll be,cut and sew. You can add ribbon,a belt,and maybe some leggings and she'll be good to go. A simple elastic waisted skirt prolly wouldn't require a pattern,either. If you want a little shawl for her,LMK. I have some extra fringe.
I hope you all had a wonderful Holiday. We did,although we did get the flu to go along with it.
We'll be going to a New Year's benefit dance on the 4th. My dh drum is host. It will be nice to get together with family and friends again.
#101 of 598 Old 12-30-2003, 09:31 PM
Banned

i loved how iktomi and his wife looked! with the spiky hair? i loved how the scenes with iktomi and coyote were shot, that black and white looked cool. i about cried at the end when the grandfather died.

about the dress: well, she is only three months but by summer she'll be almost a year and, who knows, maybe she'll be starting to toddle. i want to start her early. i danced when i was younger but i wasn't shy about it. but i've noticed it works best when you start them before they can get shy. by the time my mom tried to get my brother to start dancing, around age four, he was way too self-concious. so, i will probably make it a 2T. she's pretty big already (fifteen pounds at three months). is the t-dress knee length with wide sleeves?

i had wanted my grandma to help me with fringe, but (i posted this elsewhere, too) she died last week. it was a nice ceremony. well, there was one fire and brimstone preacher and one traditional elder. so it was like a clash of cultures, you know? dh finally saw how our people (i don't know how other indians do it, just the ones up here) do it and he says he feels it offers more closure. maybe i should be sadder, but i'm actually happy for her. her husband and two of her kids were already gone so i know she's with them. on the way home, we were in a snowstorm and we saw the strangest thing: a hawk flew in front of our car. i took it as a sign of her watching out for us.
#102 of 598 Old 12-31-2003, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

I agree about Iktomi. That was hillarious!! I was laughing my tail off when his wife was going for coyote's you-know-whats!!:LOL
I also got teary-eyed with the Grandpa died. And when the Grandson remembered the legends and began sharing them at the pow wow. It was like he wasn't really paying attention,but in the end he remembered.
Yes,that is the dress I am speaking of. I know there is another name for it,but I usually describe it as a t-dress. It's just a simple cut,you know?
It's good to hear that you're starting Scout out early. I'll bet she's gonna love it!
I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmother. I understand what you mean about not being sad for her. I think that we are often sad for ourselves and our loss,despite the fact that our loved ones are in a much better place. It's good to hear that you are able to be happy for her and have your closure. And aren't those signs,like the hawk you saw,so comforting?
If you want some fringe,I have extra left over from some shawls I was working on. I have some red,yellow,blue,and black left. I'm sure there is enough of any of the colors to use for a small shawl. You're welcome to it. Or you could use ribbon. It's not as easy to unravel,especially if you use some fray check on the ends.
Can I see pictures when you're done?
#103 of 598 Old 01-22-2004, 07:23 AM

hi im new... my name is cinder(21) and im mohave, chemouevi and navajo. i have one daughter born october 2003. were living far away from my family, in southern california.
i have a question

is there an age where you have to introduce a cradle board by before it will possibly be rejected?
my daughter got hers at 2 1/2 months and im afraid she doesnt much like it. is there any hope of getting her to like it?

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#104 of 598 Old 01-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Banned

hi there! (can't help you with the cradleboard, though. i would love to try one.)
#105 of 598 Old 01-23-2004, 04:32 AM
rrr

Hi NA mommies,

it's been a long time since i've seen any action on this thread.

i am very busy with my kids. and i got into and ebay habit over the holidays and i havn't been on the mothering boards.

and i'm trying to go to bed earlier, which should limit my late night computering.

and i'm not making much progress on my musical for the march LLL area conference.

hope january is ending up ok for everyone.

rrr
#106 of 598 Old 01-23-2004, 05:04 AM
Banned

I am working on Fancy Shawl outfits for me and my girls. I am even beading our mocs! Well, trying to anyway lol! I am having trouble with finding the right needle. The eyes keep breaking when I pull them through the deerskin.
Busy with kids, still looking for work, and busy with kids....lol! But happy. I guess I can say that I am happy! Looking forward to dancing with my girls.
Oh, update about dd's school. I ended up talking to the principal and the school counselor. i basically told them that it was their responsibility to teach their kids basic respect of all ppl. It is not my nor my daughter's responsibilty to educate them about our culture. They've started to teach them about respect and boundaries. So, that's cool.
My baby is a mini-tornado!!! She is just into everything! Still doesn't talk, but that's cuz she doesn't need to, she has her Big Sister lol! And my 7 yr old is reading!!!Actually reading!!! It is just amazing! She has started reading The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. It is so cool! i just love sitting and listening to her read me stories. i think of all the books we can read together and then talk about.
#107 of 598 Old 01-25-2004, 03:58 AM
Banned

hey! glad to see you mamaintheboonies! your girls sound adorable.

scout is a pretty mellow baby, but she still doesn't it if i'm not holding her, so i don't get much done if i can't sling her. so, still no dress. plus i'm just intimidated by, of all things, making the neckhole. i think i could just sew the rest of it, but i'm worried about making the hole for her head. i don't want it to be too big or too small.

littlebear'smama- i would love the fringe. i'll let you know when i get to that point. it'll probably be awhile, though :LOL .
#108 of 598 Old 02-11-2004, 02:48 AM
Banned

how's everyone doing?

my baby is growing up too fast! she has a tooth now and she can sit up. it breaks my heart.
#109 of 598 Old 03-26-2004, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone! Back from being MIA for awhile.

MamaInTheBoonies,hope everything looks up for you soon.

Plum,how wonderful to hear your Scout has a tooth...or is it *teeth* by now?

Sending a big out to you all! Let's keep our little thread going.
#110 of 598 Old 03-27-2004, 12:54 AM
Banned

hello! scout is doing great! she turned six months old and today cut her fourth tooth. she got number three on monday or tuesday. two in one week! she's a handful now. she pulls herself around the living room (not crawling yet) and tries to eat everything.

i added new pics in my signature.

next weekend is her first pow-wow. it's in grand forks, nd. my mom and i are going to check out the tiny tots because i still haven't decided what kind of dress to make and i think i need to see ideas.
#111 of 598 Old 03-28-2004, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

She's adorable!
Have a good time at her first pow wow!
#112 of 598 Old 05-28-2004, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

How is everyone? Can we have a roll call?? :hello
#113 of 598 Old 05-28-2004, 11:50 PM

Hi. I've been lurking, but will introduce myself now.

I am bright-white, and my dd is Menominee from her dad. We live in the Pacific NW, far from her rez (which is in northern Wisconsin). We've been back there twice since she was born. (Her grandparents live there.)

Her dad isn't into Menominee culture in the least. However, I would like dd to have knowledge/roots about this side of her. We have some friends here who are Suquamish and also some who are members of some other local tribes. Does anyone think it's weird if I take her to other tribes' ceremonies and pow wows with my friends? I have mixed feelings about this because I would rather she learn her own history, and don't want to replace it with just any old tribe that seems to be convenient....KWIM? OTOH, we are having fun and learning a lot about the tribes here. Example: Last year our friends' son trained for the annual canoe trip up puget sound and across the strait of juan de fuca. very cool. they spent months making their canoes and we got so see how the canoes were made and blessed.

Or maybe I should just leave all of this for her grandmother to figure out? (her grandmother is pretty active in her tribal community) Her dad isn't going to expose her to any sort of culture, but perhaps I should leave it to her relatives who actually ARE Menominee.

Now I'm rambling. I'm glad for the thread. Thanks.
#114 of 598 Old 05-29-2004, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome,Mocha!
You know,pow wows are generally "inter-tribal" which means MANY different tribes coming together for fellowship and most often,competition. I would think your dd would get something out of going to any pow wow.
That being said,pow wows and ceremonies are two different things. Pow wows are for fellowship and fun. Ceremonies,in most cases,are pretty much for members of the tribe holding them and for trusted friends and hold a very important meaning to the culture of that tribe. It's great that you're going to these local gatherings,and I'm sure your dd will gain something from that,as well. Just don't forget to to let her know where she comes from,and the traditions of *her* people. If possible,try to get back to WI every now and again. I know it's hard,but it's worth it! Your dd will have the benefit of seeing Native traditions at home,in her community as well as the benefit of seeing her own culture back in WI. It sounds like you really want your dd to have pride in her culture,and in who she is.
Good Lord willing,we're traveling back to OK in July. I'm excited about going and seeing dh family,but I'm not excited about the 12 hour car ride. :LOL
#115 of 598 Old 05-29-2004, 05:46 PM

Forgive the intrusion, mamas, but was wondering whether y'all are supportive of the opening of the new Museum of the American Indian, in DC. It looks like a beautiful space to me. I knew a Seneca woman...Cheryl...Oh I cannot for the life of me remember her last name...(her mom made the best frybread though)...who was involved years ago in the first steps toward the completion of it.

She has passed and I believe her mother has too, in the years since my last visit to that rez. (I had such a good time)

Anyhow...are any folks going to attend the festivities, participate or vend some wares or food there? It's September 21...there's a weeklong festival in DC.

The museum has put up a nice page on the Web and you can do a search for Museum of the American Indian if you would like to find further info.

Thanks for any thoughts. And if you are going to participate, please include that info too.

I hope my intrusion was not offensive.

I appreciate it and enjoy the longer days!

Warm thoughts...
Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
#116 of 598 Old 05-29-2004, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear's Mama
Welcome,Mocha!
Ceremonies,in most cases,are pretty much for members of the tribe holding them and for trusted friends and hold a very important meaning to the culture of that tribe. It's great that you're going to these local gatherings,and I'm sure your dd will gain something from that,as well. Just don't forget to to let her know where she comes from,and the traditions of *her* people. If possible,try to get back to WI every now and again.
Thanks, LBM. I am blessed to have friends who will share this and include us! We're trying to get back to WI about twice a year. this summer we're going to try to time it so she can get to one of their events.

I hope you have fun in OK, and survive that car ride. Ouch! I'm sure it will be worth it though.
#117 of 598 Old 05-31-2004, 08:53 PM
Banned

glad to see you, littlebear'smama! we are doing well. we just got home for a weekend trip and now dd is wild. i feel guilty when she's in the car that long but she didn't seem to mind.
#118 of 598 Old 06-01-2004, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Plum! Glad to "see" you,again. How did your dd enjoy her first pow wow?

Joyce,I haven't heard of anyone being unsupportive of the new museum,but that doens't mean that *someone* out there isn't.
My family won't be attending the opening. Sounds interesting,though. I would like to visit the museum if my family and I get to attend the LLL ICF next year.
#119 of 598 Old 06-09-2004, 01:47 AM
Banned

LBM, she loved it! we had fun watching and she napped in the bleachers. we took a lot of pictures and we had fun visiting.

your trip sounds fun! my family reunion is next month, but i don't know if we are going. we had a vacation planned for the week after and don't know if we want to tack on another trip just before, you know? i still have to call my grandma and tell her.
#120 of 598 Old 06-09-2004, 08:03 AM

LBM...

I certainly do appreciate your reply.

You are so right, there's always someone who will feel negatively about any given event.

The museum has a nice website up, though I don't have a link handy to provide here.

Meanwhile, LBM and you other Mamas, enjoy your day today!
Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page