Women of Color #12 - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 2776 Old 09-07-2008, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I often wonder about one thing, though. The term "women of color" techinically applies not just to African-American women, but also to Latinas, Asians, Native NDNs, etc. There are lots of those here on MDC, but only some come here on the WOC tribe.
I wonder why that is.
yeah i wonder about this too. i suspect that many other w.o.c.'s or poc's don't think of themselves as connnected to others poc's outside their racial or ethnic background. perhaps the women of color as a collective identity had its heyday in the "Bridge Called My Back" era of the 70's and 80's and it may be fading fast in the light of the "colorblind-ism" of today.

rootzdawta: i spent the afternoon checking out your blog--i dig it! do you sell your beautiful wares?

arike: congrads on the pregnancy ( though i can't believe you didn't know. i knew when i conceived!) your edd is my birthday---yeah libras!
#482 of 2776 Old 09-07-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-AM-Mother View Post
i'm black. my father is black. my mother is Italian and creole. Her mother is Italian and her father was Creole.

the reason i consider myself black (although most of my family on my mother's side do not, they will list everything they are mixed with) is because growing up my mother's father side (creoles) had a lot of issues with people passing themselves off as white. they would deny any of their darker relatives, cut ties, etc. some of them married into families of extreme wealth and found the color black to be disgusting.

my grandfather (who married an italian woman, my granny) walked a fine line with his family because he spoke five different languages, and his skin was white but had a red undertone so he always looked like a white man with a tan, but that ended when his children with my Italian grandmother began dating "darkies." he had to choose a side, and choose to support his children and their choices. from that day on, we were outcasts. my grandfather was very hurt by his families decision and no matter what he was not able to develop any kind of relationship what so ever with his family again.

so at a very young age, i saw how race and color could make and break families.
i really respect this position/perspective. i always remember what Lisa Jones wrote in ber book "Bullet Proof Diva" which i read years ago. As the biracial (Af/Am and Jewish i think) daughter of Amiri Baraka aka Leroi Jones and Hettie Jones...she said that she would/could only identify with a mixed race identity that is thoroughly anti-racist, pro-Black and that was committed to a critique/disavowal of white supremacy. Until that was happening she would identify as Black.
#483 of 2776 Old 09-07-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnaemeka View Post
i really respect this position/perspective. i always remember what Lisa Jones wrote in ber book "Bullet Proof Diva" which i read years ago. As the biracial (Af/Am and Jewish i think) daughter of Amiri Baraka aka Leroi Jones and Hettie Jones...she said that she would/could only identify with a mixed race identity that is thoroughly anti-racist, pro-Black and that was committed to a critique/disavowal of white supremacy. Until that was happening she would identify as Black.
there is nothing like listening to another person in order to get a better understanding of yourself. i hope that makes sense. I am also going to be sure to check out her book. it sounds really interesting.

and welcome to MDC!
#484 of 2776 Old 09-07-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamsMama View Post
Welcome, gorgeous Mama!
I see you're a fellow New Yorker!
Yes I am! I see you are in the East village, I actually work in the West village!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
Arike!

That's wild that you didn't know till 18 weeks!!!! No morning sickness? No excessive tiredness? No 50 million trips to the toilet?? LoL . . . in any case, Congrats!!!
Greetings rootzdawta! I had absolutely NO morning sickness! And I wasn't tired, I actually was in the middle of intense rehearsals for a dance performance with the company I am in when I got the positive test results. I thought I was still in my 1st trimester. Little did I know that I was well into my 2nd trimester, leaping and rolling around on the stage with a little boo already well formed inside me! I was going to the bathroom more frequently I think, but I thought I was just drinking more water!

Quote:
NY/NJ/CT WoC, do you all want to get together while the weather is still nice? We could do something free like walk around Central Park or go to lunch or something.
I am down for a tri-state get-together. That would be great! I only have one other friend who is a mom so it would be awesome to connect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
Welcome and congrats on pregnancy.

Shay
Hi Shay. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomingstar View Post

Welcome Arike BK!
Bloomingstar, are you in BK too?
#485 of 2776 Old 09-07-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
arike: congrads on the pregnancy ( though i can't believe you didn't know. i knew when i conceived!) your edd is my birthday---yeah libras!
Hi nnaemeka! I love libras! My DH is a libra too!
#486 of 2776 Old 09-07-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
NY/NJ/CT WoC, do you all want to get together while the weather is still nice? We could do something free like walk around Central Park or go to lunch or something.
That would be fantastic!

Sheila, mother to William and Min Hee, wife of David
#487 of 2776 Old 09-07-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arike View Post

Bloomingstar, are you in BK too?
yup! I am, and I'm also a dancer, and pregnant right now too! I knew I was pregnant right away, and a few people in my company knew within a week of me knowing--they know my body, I guess I've been taking it easy lately though. And I see you're planning a homebirth too! exciting! who's your midwife? or we can pm this since it's all public and such.

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
#488 of 2776 Old 09-07-2008, 09:19 PM

Okay so so far, NY/NJ/Ct WoC tribe members are:

Arike
Bloomingstar
Rootzdawta
WilliamsMama

Did I miss anyone? Soon as I have all the names, I'll try to coordinate via PMs. Oooh, I'm excited!!

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#489 of 2776 Old 09-07-2008, 09:44 PM

Sistas, can I just say I am a tad jealous that ya'll live close enough to get together..l would so love to hook up with some crunchy leaning sistas. Sure none of ya'll don't want to move to Maine . Heck, even Boston is close enough to get together. LOL

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#490 of 2776 Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Sistas, can I just say I am a tad jealous that ya'll live close enough to get together..l would so love to hook up with some crunchy leaning sistas. Sure none of ya'll don't want to move to Maine . Heck, even Boston is close enough to get together. LOL

Shay
that

I was just thinking of how I would love to live in New York. Maybe this would be an excellent reason to move.

+ + =
#491 of 2776 Old 09-07-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:

Shay

definitely that!!!

afro.jpg
#492 of 2776 Old 09-07-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:

Arike
Bloomingstar
Rootzdawta
WilliamsMama

Did I miss anyone? Soon as I have all the names, I'll try to coordinate via PMs. Oooh, I'm excited!!
I'm in NJ. But, as a warning I'm not a mom yet
#493 of 2776 Old 09-08-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
Hey mama! Welcome back and congratulations on the birth of your son
Thanks, purplegirl!! I am on Cloud 9 these days. I had an absolutely incredible homebirth experience after much nay-saying coming from my family. My little guy had his first bath tonight and we are breastfeeding 'round the clock...

The sole distraction was my mother:— won't get into the gorey details (ok, ONE detail real quick: when I called to tell her we needed her—i was 7cm and in labor, mind you—her response was, "I just sat down to dinner."
#494 of 2776 Old 09-08-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:

Arike
Bloomingstar
Rootzdawta
WilliamsMama

I'm in Brooklyn, NY with my DD.
#495 of 2776 Old 09-08-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
I often wonder about one thing, though. The term "women of color" techinically applies not just to African-American women, but also to Latinas, Asians, Native NDNs, etc. There are lots of those here on MDC, but only some come here on the WOC tribe.
I wonder why that is.
Quote:
yeah i wonder about this too. i suspect that many other w.o.c.'s or poc's don't think of themselves as connnected to others poc's outside their racial or ethnic background. perhaps the women of color as a collective identity had its heyday in the "Bridge Called My Back" era of the 70's and 80's and it may be fading fast in the light of the "colorblind-ism" of today.
Am I the sole Chicana reading and/or posting here? I know there are more of us around this board because I tried to get a Latina tribe going last year. There was a little flurry of activity at first, but we never really got going. It was great cultural mix, too: Puerto Riqueñas, Chicanas, some South American mamas, Cubanas... so why did the tribe sort of...fade...

And why haven't other Latinas (and other WOC) joined here? Not sure...

Maybe there is some truth to what nnaemeka says about the fading collective identity...?... it is really unfortunate, if so. We need to support eachother as WOC if true progress is going to happen. IMO, this is what mainstream, Anglo, corporate culture has been so good at: effectively dividing communities of color and marginalized peoples such that everyone is scrambling and competing for limited resources. We have GOT to work together to demand progessive social change. We have GOT to organize collectively, yet still clarify and articulate the specific issues that are affecting our particular communities.

I'm also wondering if the "fading collective identity" is a generational thing. Do 20-something WOC still read "Bridge"? I don't know...I myself am fairly out of touch with younger WOC and what their cultural and social norms are. The few (Hispanic) young(er) women I know are fairly apolitical [is that what you mean by "colorblindism", nnaemeka?]. Course, that could be a symptom of where/how they grew up...

ok, I'm babbling now. All-night nursing is going to my brain...
#496 of 2776 Old 09-08-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Arike
Bloomingstar
kimiij
Sugarshoc
Rootzdawta
WilliamsMama

Quoting myself to add names.

Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#497 of 2776 Old 09-08-2008, 10:13 AM

Hello Sisterfriends!

Wow! There's nothing like coming here to your tribe and having to read 8+pages to get caught up!
Well, first things first:
This is to All of the New Members here:
!WELCOME TO THE TRIBE!
I am so happy to "see" so many new voices here!
Secondly, I live in CT and if you don't mind an "OLD" mama joining you for the tri-state tribe gathering, I would love to be included(my "baby" turns 16 on Saturday-where did the time go!).
Thirdly(that word looks/sounds odd in print ), I also have wondered why our tribe did not include more mamas from differing backgrounds. And I know of a lot of Black MDC members who don't post here either.(By the way, I prefer the term Black because I personally know so many Black folks in the USA who are not AA and it cuts down on confusion for me when describing myself or others)
Lastly(again, that just doesn't look/sound right to me!), I have been spending most of my MDC time in the Politics forum lately, neglecting my tribe here and that's not right! So I am going to try really hard to get into the conversation more often. Thanks to all of the members here who make sure that we have a lively, respectful and truly welcoming place for WOC here at MDC!
Well, that's all I have time to post. I hope to come back soon to post more!

*..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Peace, Love & Light!-:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Take Care,
Erika(I don't wear a fro, I'm just a sister who likes this smilie!):

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail..."
"I am learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma"- Eartha Kitt
#498 of 2776 Old 09-08-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xochimama View Post
I am on Cloud 9 these days. I had an absolutely incredible homebirth experience after much nay-saying coming from my family. My little guy had his first bath tonight and we are breastfeeding 'round the clock...
Xochimama,

Congratulations on the birth of your son! I hope that your baby moon is full of happiness and bliss!

*..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Peace, Love & Light!-:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Take Care,
Erika(I don't wear a fro, I'm just a sister who likes this smilie!):

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail..."
"I am learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma"- Eartha Kitt
#499 of 2776 Old 09-08-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
ok, so i'm gonna need you to not disclaim yourself, after writing such an intelligent and insightful post mmmkay??

i had gloria wade-gayles as a professor in college, and she was constantly exhorting us: "claim your space!" we were black women AT a black women's college, where a big part of our journey and the unwritten curriculum we were there to learn should have been confidence in our voices, right? yet many of us were still struggling with that socialization we get as women, as blacks that being smart and vocal is not cool/feminine/whatever. there would be tentativeness in the raising of hands. dr. wade-gayles was NOT having it. the minute you started talking she would be like, 'claim your space.' and it was amazing, how you could kind of SEE the imperceptible shift in the speaker, as she decided to do just that.

mm mm good. spelman days.

ANYWAY - and congrats on the little ones who are on their way and just arrived!! whoo hoo!! i wish i was still in brooklyn and dancing, LOL - i've been 'abroad' between LI and AZ since the end of 2001 and am now in MD. and the most dancing im doing these days is yoga on wii fit

have fun at yr meetup, ladies!!
#500 of 2776 Old 09-08-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyinmama View Post
ok, so i'm gonna need you to not disclaim yourself, after writing such an intelligent and insightful post mmmkay??
point taken, mama
#501 of 2776 Old 09-08-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks, purplegirl!! I am on Cloud 9 these days. I had an absolutely incredible homebirth experience after much nay-saying coming from my family. My little guy had his first bath tonight and we are breastfeeding 'round the clock...

The sole distraction was my mother:— won't get into the gorey details (ok, ONE detail real quick: when I called to tell her we needed her—i was 7cm and in labor, mind you—her response was, "I just sat down to dinner."

Congrats, Mama!!!

Did you post your birth story yet, I would LOVE to read it!

*birth story junkie here*

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#502 of 2776 Old 09-08-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Shay
What you said! Heck I live in STL

hola.gif
#503 of 2776 Old 09-08-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:

i had gloria wade-gayles as a professor in college, and she was constantly exhorting us: "claim your space!" we were black women AT a black women's college, where a big part of our journey and the unwritten curriculum we were there to learn should have been confidence in our voices, right? yet many of us were still struggling with that socialization we get as women, as blacks that being smart and vocal is not cool/feminine/whatever. there would be tentativeness in the raising of hands. dr. wade-gayles was NOT having it. the minute you started talking she would be like, 'claim your space.' and it was amazing, how you could kind of SEE the imperceptible shift in the speaker, as she decided to do just that.

mm mm good. spelman days.

ANYWAY - and congrats on the little ones who are on their way and just arrived!! whoo hoo!! i wish i was still in brooklyn and dancing, LOL - i've been 'abroad' between LI and AZ since the end of 2001 and am now in MD. and the most dancing im doing these days is yoga on wii fit

have fun at yr meetup, ladies!!
hey oyin. did you ever find the right cloth to wrap your lil man? I remember a while ago when we were still prego you mentioned just getting some cloth to use.

hola.gif
#504 of 2776 Old 09-08-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
!!
Damn!
#505 of 2776 Old 09-09-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:

Arike
Bloomingstar
Rootzdawta
WilliamsMama

Maybe we can PM you our emails. It might be easier to work that way.
I'm excited about the prospect of meeting y'all!

#506 of 2776 Old 09-09-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiij View Post
I'm in NJ. But, as a warning I'm not a mom yet
You don't have to be a mom yet!

#507 of 2776 Old 09-09-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Am I the sole Chicana reading and/or posting here? I know there are more of us around this board because I tried to get a Latina tribe going last year. There was a little flurry of activity at first, but we never really got going. It was great cultural mix, too: Puerto Riqueñas, Chicanas, some South American mamas, Cubanas... so why did the tribe sort of...fade...

And why haven't other Latinas (and other WOC) joined here? Not sure...

Maybe there is some truth to what nnaemeka says about the fading collective identity...?... it is really unfortunate, if so. We need to support eachother as WOC if true progress is going to happen. IMO, this is what mainstream, Anglo, corporate culture has been so good at: effectively dividing communities of color and marginalized peoples such that everyone is scrambling and competing for limited resources. We have GOT to work together to demand progessive social change. We have GOT to organize collectively, yet still clarify and articulate the specific issues that are affecting our particular communities.

I'm also wondering if the "fading collective identity" is a generational thing. Do 20-something WOC still read "Bridge"? I don't know...I myself am fairly out of touch with younger WOC and what their cultural and social norms are. The few (Hispanic) young(er) women I know are fairly apolitical [is that what you mean by "colorblindism", nnaemeka?]. Course, that could be a symptom of where/how they grew up...

I have been pondering since you posted this mama. I come across many woc on this board and wonder why "they" haven't posted to this tribe. Sometimes I want to reach out and say "hey, did you know that tribe exists?" I think there are fears of joining with other women of color, based on previous negative experiences. I can't tell you how often I've heard WOC say, "I don't get along with other WOC"; "I don't fit in with other WOC". That is painful but I know very real for some folks.
Off to work, more later.........

afro.jpg
#508 of 2776 Old 09-09-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Maybe we can PM you our emails. It might be easier to work that way.
I'm excited about the prospect of meeting y'all!
That would work well!!

#509 of 2776 Old 09-09-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
I have been pondering since you posted this mama. I come across many woc on this board and wonder why "they" haven't posted to this tribe. Sometimes I want to reach out and say "hey, did you know that tribe exists?" I think there are fears of joining with other women of color, based on previous negative experiences. I can't tell you how often I've heard WOC say, "I don't get along with other WOC"; "I don't fit in with other WOC". That is painful but I know very real for some folks.
Off to work, more later.........
That has been my experience almost everywhere BUT here. I rarely, rarely, rarely find WOC that I click with - I'm pagan, bisexual, hippie as hell, not nationalistic at all, and a lot of times I feel like an 'outsider' when it comes to todays 'black' culture - and while I can find those who match my internal culture just fine with non-WOC, then I stand out by virtue of my ever so lovely skin. It's - most interesting - and I've - I really don't think I can express how - soothing this thread is for me. Even if we don't always get (or agree) with each other - there is something - here.

So, yeah, I'm TOTALLY jealous of all ya'll fabulous mama's getting together to meet - anyone in the Deep South?

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
#510 of 2776 Old 09-09-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Lioness View Post
Congrats, Mama!!!

Did you post your birth story yet, I would LOVE to read it!

*birth story junkie here*
I did! It's here.

When I first wrote it, I included all the stuff about my mom (she refused to provide the help we needed during labor, then cut her visit short, leaving me & dh on the day our son was born--the day I needed her the most ) But I decided to edit that part out in the public posting because somehow—through willpower and grace, I suppose—I did not let the drama interfere with the labor and birth experience.

Now that the four-day euphoria has passed, I am starting to process my anger and disappointment with my mother. I am protecting the sacred time and space that is between two states-of-being: the intense physical/spiritual experience of giving birth and the return to "normal." (of course, there is never a real return to normal, but the usual pace of life and activity will be upon me before I know it...!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page