Mom's without Mom's part 5 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 298 Old 06-03-2008, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSuz View Post
Any ideas how to make her last months better? I feel like I should do something special. Instead we just sit and watch HGTV together and don't talk about the future. It is sad. She does not want to talk about what is happening. ..
My mom died quite suddenly and young, if I had been able to have time with her I would loved to hear some stories about her parents and childhood, and her younger life ... I really would have liked that.

Mom to DD born 1989 DS born 1993 and grandma to
DGS born 2005
#122 of 298 Old 06-04-2008, 09:54 AM

I agree. I wish I would have paid closer attention to my mom's family stories. Her mom has advanced Alzheimer's and my dad is a terrible historian so a lot of those stories are now lost.
#123 of 298 Old 06-04-2008, 10:15 AM

That is the hardest thing I think...losing the history. I wish I had asked more questions and learned more about my family before she died. My mom's sister is evil and has moved and we can't find her now. She stole my brother's and my inheritance that she promised my mom on her death bed that she would give us. I don't REALLY care about the money, but it is a lot. My grandfather was a multi-millionaire. He didn't think Mom would die before she received her portion of the inheritance. But she is greedy. And there is no one left on that side of the family, so now I can't get any info. It makes me so sad. There are so many questions I have for my aunt about my mom as a little girl. THAT is what she stole from me. And the sad thing is, she doesn't even realize it.

If you can't take the heat get out of the Kitchen.
#124 of 298 Old 06-12-2008, 07:47 PM

Hello, sadly i belong to this tribe.

I haven't read all the posts yet, i'm working on it...

My mum died of Breast Cancer in April of 1998, i was 14.
It had a big impact in my life, as i was very close to her in every possible way, her prescence maked me feel good you know. We could just sit close by and do nothing but just by the fact that she was there maked me feel good.
I'm the youngest of 4 and the surprise of the family, it was a busy time for us as my dad was in the peak of his career, my mum who had just retyuned to the working field, opted to quit to raise me, just as she did with my siblings.

I grew up to be dangerously close to my mum as a toddler she couldn't escaped out of my sight becuase, oh the Drama!.
When i started kindergarten she was always helping the teachers around, becuase i insisted, i wanted to have her there with me.

It was that way all my life, she was my best friend, my everything. She was the greatest, i didn't need to say a word to her to show her my feelings.
In my teens, my friends just loved her, she was just fun.
When she was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 1995, we had to spend some time in Arizona as she was going to recieve her treatment there, i had to be homeschooled as there was no way in heck i was leaving her side during those times.

She went into remission the following year, we just travelled around ice places in the US, finally she relapsed in October, she passed 6 months later, i was by her side when she died, it had to be the hardest thing to me. I felt her prescence in a very strong way during the first year, it was so strong that i could even smelled her, it was relaxing but also hurtful. And it was not only hurtful for me, but for my dad and my siblings, who felt her prescence the same.
I still feel her around me, not as strong but enough for me to call her name at times.
I think of her everyday, and of course i will never forget her.

My babies never "met her", but in dreams you wanna bet they do. I named DD1 in her honour, and you know the name fit DD and my mum

"Forever Linda"
#125 of 298 Old 07-05-2008, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Today is the one year anniversary of my mom's death. I am not sure how I feel sad but much more. I miss her so much. Ironically enough my baby girl is the spitting image of my mom.

Heidi
#126 of 298 Old 07-05-2008, 03:40 PM

I hope you survive the day alright. Our one year anniversary is next month and I'm dreading it. Hugs to everyone!
#127 of 298 Old 07-06-2008, 12:35 AM

It seems unimaginable that I am here posting to this tribe now. I read through the posts last night. I really needed to connect to others. My mom died yesterday afternoon. It was pretty sudden, but not entirely surprising. She talked before about dying young, but she thought she had a while. She lived hard. Lots of drinking, staying up late, not taking her blood pressure medicine, ate bad, didn't exercise, and apparently, she also did coke (although I don't know how much or how often). The combination of these things killed her at age 45. The coke set off seizures and heart attacks. I so hoped and prayed that she would get a wakeup call and turn back around.

I have had a hundred different emotions cycling through. I'm mad that she did this to herself, I'm sad that I have to raise my kids without her, I'm hurt.... Sometimes I'm even peaceful. I hope that she has peace. I hope that she knew we were with her and knows that we love her.

This is all so surreal and weird. I feel for all of you. I've read some of your stories and posts and it's been a big comfort for me.

I also posted a longer story in the grief forum.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=926874

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#128 of 298 Old 07-06-2008, 10:06 AM

Today is 1 year

i'm hating it and not doing ery well.... i was even worse last night, thinking about the hour in which i signed the forms to terminate life support (she was on a vent)..
can it please be september now?

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#129 of 298 Old 07-06-2008, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Wendy I am so sorry for your loss.

KJoslyn78 hugs.

This morning I had a mini break down.

Heidi
#130 of 298 Old 07-07-2008, 10:52 PM

((((((Heidi))))))))

i was thinking about you Saturday - i just couldnt get on here...

((((((((((((Wendy))))))))))))))

i very much so understand your pain. My mother died from a comination of everything (well, not coke, she was a hard drunk, and did pot, other drugs - i have no idea - on top of health related problems). Somedays i'm soooooooooo angry that now my children will not know her (or my father, he is also dead - so they dont get to know either of my parents - and i get mad at her for knowing that with my dad dead, they only had her, etc...) and other days i feel almost peaceful knowing that the "drama" that came with her life is no longer a part of mine/my children's lives (my oldest dd had more then once helped my moms drunk BF walk - without my knowledge).

Anyways... i am sorry you are here too

#131 of 298 Old 07-09-2008, 12:00 AM

I'm new here. Today is my moms birthday. She would have been 63 today. She died 9 years ago. It was sudden, I found her in her bathroom. There was no autopsy (sp?), so I really don't know what happened. She was a smoker and her doctor said her heart just stopped. I miss her so much. I fussed at her the night before she died. I handled her money for her and she couldn't find one of her bills and wanted me to call to get the mailing address and I fussed at her and told her to do it herself.

My baby just woke up so I've got to get her back to sleep, but I will read through these posts so I can get to know everyone.
#132 of 298 Old 07-09-2008, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry JL's mom about your loss. I do not think the pain will ever go away no matter how much time pass.

Heidi
#133 of 298 Old 07-09-2008, 01:06 AM

Hugs to all of you. I'm so grateful to be connected to people that really understand my pain. Sometime people think my grieving should be passed. It will never pass.

I'm 14 weeks pregnant now and really starting to get sad at the thought of having a baby without my mom. I started bleeding two weeks ago and it was a very stressful time. I'm still spotting on and off but so far the baby seems to be OK. It really sucks not having my mom here for me.

I'm praying for all of you.
#134 of 298 Old 07-09-2008, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papschmitty View Post
Hugs to all of you. I'm so grateful to be connected to people that really understand my pain. Sometime people think my grieving should be passed. It will never pass.

I'm 14 weeks pregnant now and really starting to get sad at the thought of having a baby without my mom. I started bleeding two weeks ago and it was a very stressful time. I'm still spotting on and off but so far the baby seems to be OK. It really sucks not having my mom here for me.

I'm praying for all of you.
I am so sorry. Is everything okay now? My mom had the stroke a month after I announced I was pregnant with Maggie. She lost her speech and was paralyzed on her right side. So even though I was with my mom all the time I really was mourning the loss of her. If that makes sense. We did not get to do all the fun baby things that we had done in the pass with my other kids. Although I brought everything to the hospital and talked and talked to her about it and she understood.
Now a year later...my heart still breaks. It looks like my daughter has juvenile arthritis as well as my son. I have tons of friends and family but no mom to share this news with. My son gets remicade infusions and yesterday at the hospital the nurse went to give him his medication and I yelled Stop...they had twice the amount they should have. Of course I wanted to call my
mom.

Heidi
#135 of 298 Old 07-09-2008, 07:03 PM

I have much to say, but can't right now. I am on vacation and should not be thinking about such things at the moment. Hugs to all! I'll check in next week.

#136 of 298 Old 07-23-2008, 10:38 PM

WEll, my mom died yesterday in my home (she has been living with us this year). So I guess I am now an official member of this club - I hate it! It hurts so much right now and everything I see in this house reminds me of her. Why did she have to be such a great mom that living without her seems so bad and impossible? Having my kids helps and hurts at the same time if you know what I mean. UG! I am numb.
#137 of 298 Old 07-24-2008, 09:18 AM

TexasSuz...
I am sorry. I know your pain and numbness. We all do.

#138 of 298 Old 07-24-2008, 10:12 AM

I'm sorry, TexasSuz. We all know what you're going through.
#139 of 298 Old 07-24-2008, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

I am sorry TexasSuz...I think we all know the pain you are going through. I would not wish it on anyone. I hope you have happy memories of your mom.

Heidi
#140 of 298 Old 07-25-2008, 09:29 AM

:

#141 of 298 Old 07-25-2008, 11:21 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this group. I not a Mom yet but I really want to be and it kills me that my Mom won't be here with me to share it.

I'm an only child and my Mom was my very best friend my whole life. I had a MC almost 2 years ago and am so glad I got to share the news of being pg with her at least once and here her excitement and see all the plans that she made for my future children. She died when she was 47 of lung cancer at home on April 12, 2007. She was with me through all of my fertility struggles and yet here I am still trying. I really want to be a Mom but I cry just thinking about giving birth without her in the room with me. Sometimes things are just so unfair.

Hugs to all of you Mom's out there, while I hope to be a Motherless Mother someday soon... I know it isn't going to be easy. I'm glad to know there are other people out there who understand how terribly painful it is to be in our shoes in some weird way.

Button 08-12-09 

Baby Vi 05-18-11

#142 of 298 Old 07-25-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olives View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this group. I not a Mom yet but I really want to be and it kills me that my Mom won't be here with me to share it.

I'm an only child and my Mom was my very best friend my whole life. I had a MC almost 2 years ago and am so glad I got to share the news of being pg with her at least once and here her excitement and see all the plans that she made for my future children. She died when she was 47 of lung cancer at home on April 12, 2007. She was with me through all of my fertility struggles and yet here I am still trying. I really want to be a Mom but I cry just thinking about giving birth without her in the room with me. Sometimes things are just so unfair.

Hugs to all of you Mom's out there, while I hope to be a Motherless Mother someday soon... I know it isn't going to be easy. I'm glad to know there are other people out there who understand how terribly painful it is to be in our shoes in some weird way.
Your story touched me b/c it's very similar to mine. I am also an only and was super close to my mom. It was really awful being pregnant w/out her, but it's even harder having this beautiful child and knowing that she'll never get to know what an amazing woman my mother was. This pain is made worse by the fact that my MIL is pretty emotionally devoid. She's not the doting, fun-loving, involved grandmother that my own mom would have been.

I wish you the best of luck TTC and know that you can always check in w/ us. It's not nearly so bad when you know there are other people who can relate to what you are going through.
#143 of 298 Old 07-25-2008, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Olives

Heidi
#144 of 298 Old 07-30-2008, 07:59 PM

I'm one of you too! I'm 26 and married with 2 kids and my mom lost her battle with leukemia 17 years ago this past July 19th. She was 38 and I was 9. It has been especially hard since I had kids. I keep wondering what kind of grandmother she would be. I wish she had got to meet her grandchildren.
#145 of 298 Old 07-31-2008, 10:28 AM

: welcome Erin

#146 of 298 Old 08-08-2008, 01:14 PM

Does anyone else have a problem leaving your child(ren) with someone else b/c of the loss of your mom? I am really struggling with this. I'm having a hard time being objective about it. I mean, I don't know how much of it is that I don't feel the need to leave DD w/ other people (I'm a SAHM), or if it's just b/c I'm acutely aware of how every single second counts, that our time together could be cut short. I recently had a neighbor tell me it wasn't healthy for me to want to always be w/ DD. I wanted to tell her, "Well, until you spend every night praying that you have more time w/ your children than your mom had w/ hers, then we can talk!" Of course, I didn't say what I thought, but the fact that I got so defensive must mean something. Anyway, I'm starting to ramble. Just thought I'd put this out here to see if anyone can relate.
#147 of 298 Old 08-08-2008, 02:38 PM

I felt this way for quite a while after my mom died. I just felt desperate to cherish every single second. FWIW, my mom died after only a 2 month battle with cancer - not very much time to emotionally prepare. It has eased with time quite a bit. In fact, next weekend DH and I are going away for the weekend to celebrate our anniversary and leaving DD with his parents (whom she loves). It's going to be hard on me but I have to remind myself that DD enjoys the time. I need to honor her desire to be with other family and try to appreciate the break that it affords me. Sometimes taking those breaks is hard but I wouldn't push it just for the sake of doing what other people think is right. Would your DD enjoy time with other people? If so, maybe start small, like a lunch out or something. Do something just for you. If you don't think she's ready or you know you're absolutely not ready, don't force it. Give it time; it gets better, I promise.

Today is the 1 yr anniversary of my mom's death. I'll post more later. I'm at work right now and don't want to be a sobbing mess.
#148 of 298 Old 08-08-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Today is the 1 yr anniversary of my mom's death. I'll post more later. I'm at work right now and don't want to be a sobbing mess.

#149 of 298 Old 08-09-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I felt this way for quite a while after my mom died. I just felt desperate to cherish every single second. FWIW, my mom died after only a 2 month battle with cancer - not very much time to emotionally prepare. It has eased with time quite a bit. In fact, next weekend DH and I are going away for the weekend to celebrate our anniversary and leaving DD with his parents (whom she loves). It's going to be hard on me but I have to remind myself that DD enjoys the time. I need to honor her desire to be with other family and try to appreciate the break that it affords me. Sometimes taking those breaks is hard but I wouldn't push it just for the sake of doing what other people think is right. Would your DD enjoy time with other people? If so, maybe start small, like a lunch out or something. Do something just for you. If you don't think she's ready or you know you're absolutely not ready, don't force it. Give it time; it gets better, I promise.

Those anniversaries can be really hard. I just had the 12th one last month. My mom also died of cancer and it was 2 months and 1 week from diagnosis to death. I know how hard that is to process. I remember being optimistic in the beginning, but so quickly I was forced to accept that she would not get better. On the one hand, I'm glad she didn't suffer for very long, but still. It was too much, too fast.
#150 of 298 Old 08-09-2008, 07:00 PM

Yesterday wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I've struggled with much less significant milestones like father's day and Easter much more.

The other night, I was thinking about all the progress I have made with my grieving over the last year. Six months ago, I can remember finding it hard to enjoy life. I so desperately missed spending Sundays just hanging out with her. I missed having her to run all of life's mundane errands. I still miss her for all those things but I've found new ways to enjoy that time. My relationship with my sister is even tighter now than before my mom got sick. I didn't even think that was humanely possible! I've also gotten a little more comfortable being alone, though it isn't nearly as fun. Things have gotten much worse with my dad but I'll save that for another post. I don't even like thinking about it. :

In the last year, I think I have felt every emotion under the sun. Immense heartache, anger, sadness, fear, joy, peace, the list goes on and on. I'm just glad that the positive emotions are starting to greatly outweigh the negative ones. That's how she would have wanted it.

I made it through most of the day being able to think about her without crying. After, DD and I met up with my dad and my sister and her kids and went to the hospital where my mom spent her final weeks. We brought a thank you card and chocolates to the nurses there. We have always been so grateful for the amazing love and compassion they showed for her.

Smelling all those familiar hospital smells-the cleaner, the soap, the cafeteria-so vividly brought me back to my mom's final days. Those are some of the hardest memories to relive and still bring me the most grief.

My niece, who was 3 when my mom died, had a ton of questions about my mom and heaven. She was pretty upset when she realized that we wouldn't be bringing Baba (my mom) home with us and is still trying to reconcile God and heaven and death. That makes two of us!

DD and my oldest niece have both been rather difficult for the last few days. DD has been acting up a ton and is much more clingy and insecure than usual. I wonder if they are having their own one year anniversary grief somehow.

Thanks for listening. I hope everyone is hanging in there OK.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page