Tattoo and Pierced Tribe II - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2009, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I've read that it's not bad and I've checked the area to see if I can handle pain there and it doesn't seem very, uh, sensitive...I figure I've had two kids and a ripped off toenail (worst.pain.EVER), so I *think* I can handle it, LOL. I guess what I'm worried about is if the jewelry is obtrusive with clothes or other ways (no chance of intimacy in the near future). And I'm slightly weirded out about having two complete strangers seeing me that way, was that awkward? I will be going alone, btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshollyk View Post
Yeah, I've read that it's not bad and I've checked the area to see if I can handle pain there and it doesn't seem very, uh, sensitive...I figure I've had two kids and a ripped off toenail (worst.pain.EVER), so I *think* I can handle it, LOL. I guess what I'm worried about is if the jewelry is obtrusive with clothes or other ways (no chance of intimacy in the near future). And I'm slightly weirded out about having two complete strangers seeing me that way, was that awkward? I will be going alone, btw.
Ouch to the ripped out toenail! Yeah, I did feel a bit awkward about exposing myself, but it helped that my piercer was very professional about it all and went out of their way to make me comfy about it. I got the overall feeling of 'been there, done that' from them which helped. The jewelry is totally unobtrusive - I have a CBR that rests snugly and doesn't get 'caught' on anything. It doesn't get in the way of anything. HTH!

autismribbon.gif

Old 03-31-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Hi all!! Lots o'tat talk, not as much piercing, LOL. I currently have my navel and tragus pierced and am considering a hood piercing. Can any of you that have had it share your experience with the procedure, the healing, jewelry sizes and or other comments? Thank you!!
I had one for about a year, but I sadly ended up taking it out. I wanted to love it, it sure looked great! But in the end it was in the way sometimes, and just didn't "do" what it was supposed to I guess. That skin is so very thing it's really just such a skinny piece of tissue holding that post in so you can't have a skinny one. I about freaked when she showed me the size she uses but assured me it was best. I definately believe she was right and any thinner would tear. As far as pain, it's most of the anticipation leading up to, and the shortest most intense feeling I've ever had.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:31 AM

Thanks for sharing!!!

About the cbr, I would have thought that'd be pretty obtrusive, so that's interesting. And I have seen pics of pretty small jewlery on, as it were, so I'll check that out.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:57 AM

I personally just prefer the cbr because there's no 'edges' to get caught (like in a barbell). If you decide to get it done, you can play around with different jewelry to see what works for you. GL!

autismribbon.gif

Old 04-01-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Hi all!! Lots o'tat talk, not as much piercing, LOL. I currently have my navel and tragus pierced and am considering a hood piercing. Can any of you that have had it share your experience with the procedure, the healing, jewelry sizes and or other comments? Thank you!!

Funny, I was just reading the last few pages thinking lots of piercing talk, not so much tat

DH has ten Tat's and Nipples pierced, I have two tat's and navel, ears, nose pierced.

We wanted to go somewhere for Spring break (I'm a teacher and our ex's have the kids from Sat-Wed of Easter Week, so we have the free time) but could not find anything in our budget that jumped at us, so we are getting new tat's instead Currently I have a Runes on my left lower abdomen (symbolic of dh) I am getting a lotus done around it, w/ the runes in the center of the lotus, and sort of a water cascade going from my mid life side to about the center of my public bone. I have a pic on my home computer of pretty much what I want.

Currently dh has an eagle on his left chest (his first tat) and Heartsong (his nickname for me) curving up under his left pect muscle (it follows the curve of my hand right where I hear his heart beat ) He is going to get Julianne (my real name) done in the same way on the right, and then something else on his right pect. but we are not sure what.

I am so excited, I have been wanting new ones for about 6 months now
Old 04-01-2009, 06:10 PM

Had to postpone my tattoo appointment which was on Saturday.

Having car issues again and can't put the cash down on ink if I have to scrape together a down payment. I am just putting it off for a month though. Have a rough draft just need to pick colors. We are already talking about my next one too.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 04-01-2009, 07:52 PM

Hi! I want to join in.

I've got 3 tats so far...a peacock feather on my lower stomach (color), 10 black 5-point stars on my back in the shape of the Libra constellation (I'm a Libra of course), and my very first, which is a tiny music note on my ankle.

I've had bellybutton, nose, and nipples pierced, but they're sadly all out now. I miss the nose the most; I'll probably get it redone soon. I just took my nip piercings out in anticipation of breastfeeding in the next year. I wanted to be sure they were healed up. I don't miss those too much because it seemed like I could never quite keep them clean and un-crusty. (Ew, I know.)

I've wanted to get an industrial in each ear for the longest time--do any of you have one? How long did it take to heal?

I've healed all my other piercings really fast, but the upper cartilage of my ear scares me for some reason. I'm also a little nervous about doing them at the same time, but I really want symmetry.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:37 PM

I don't have one, but since the usual advice is not to sleep on a healing piercing, I would probably stagger them...or at least ask the piercer's advice.

Sounds pretty cool, I love the look of them!

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthmode View Post
I've wanted to get an industrial in each ear for the longest time--do any of you have one? How long did it take to heal?
I have had mine done for years now and love it. BUT as much as I would like to lie to you it hurt and took forever to heal. Upper ear is a pita to heal, it just is. I had mine done with a bar but on advice from the piercer I switched to two hoops and it seemed to help so much.

Personally even as a fellow Libra I think one side at a time is a better bet since there are lots of things like talking on the phone and sleeping that could be very tough if you can't use either ear.

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
Old 04-01-2009, 09:47 PM

I'm planning on getting a tattoo soon (if I am not pregnant), and I would like opinions. This is my idea:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...0/Photo103.jpg

My mom has ovarian cancer, so it's the ovarian cancer ribbon around her favorite flower, an orchid. I would like to get it on my back near my shoulder.

What do you think of it? Any tips? I've never gotten a tattoo before. I was thinking of bringing in these pictures, as well, so he/she can draw something up that will look better than mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ink_orchid.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...hids_23748.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...76b20fc109.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...7ae127c6fe.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...mepb264581.jpg

I definitely want pink flowers, but I haven't decided on what shade of pink. Any opinions on which photograph is best?

Thanks!

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

Old 04-02-2009, 01:16 AM

^^^^Gorgeous pictures! Orchids are so amazing. That last picture of the tattoo is fabulous. I like the first picture for the layout and lighting, but the 4th picture is nice for detail. I would bring both of those to your artist and have them sketch something up for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl136 View Post
I have had mine done for years now and love it. BUT as much as I would like to lie to you it hurt and took forever to heal. Upper ear is a pita to heal, it just is. I had mine done with a bar but on advice from the piercer I switched to two hoops and it seemed to help so much.

Personally even as a fellow Libra I think one side at a time is a better bet since there are lots of things like talking on the phone and sleeping that could be very tough if you can't use either ear.
Holy crap, it never occurred to me that maybe the symmetry in my piercings was important to me because I'm a Libra! Wow...that explains a lot.

I'm thinking I might go this weekend and get one industrial done along with my nose. Maybe they'll offer a bulk discount?

I think there was mention earlier in the thread of re-piercing, but has anyone re-pierced their nostril? My original one was kind of off to the side and I really liked the unusual placement, but I'm wondering if it will be possible to re-pierce in that spot. I still have a tiny hole on the outside and no noticeable external scar tissue or internal bumps...
Old 04-02-2009, 02:55 PM

I got a new tattoo on March 10. It's my 13th. Here's the story. My brother was killed in Iraq on March 10, 2008. We always shared a love (and 'addiction') of tattoos and he would always try to compete with me for who has the most.

One of his was a shamrock on his forearm, so I decided to get a shamrock on my heart on the one year anniversary of his death. I also added the Gold Star Pin in the middle of it. That is something that you receive from the military if you've lost an immediate family member in the military. You're supposed to wear it over your heart, so now it will always be "on" me.

I'll post a picture in a little while. I have to get the Gold Star Pin touched up. I don't like the color work on it, so I have to go back to have him fix that. Once it's looking the way I want, I'll post a pic.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

Old 04-02-2009, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflykami View Post
Here is a question, with summer coming up again... what do you say when kids ask you about your tattoos?
My oldest, she's going on 16, thinks I'm strange some days and cool other days. I have my husband's name in Japanese - he wrote it himself, so we know it's correct lol - going down my spine, and one on my bum, also in Japanese. I also have three holes in my ears, a nose ring and belly button ring. My two youngest - under 3 - are too young to express much (though the two year old did point at my belly button this morning and ask what it was, she wasn't impressed with the answer lol). I just have to keep the 10 month old from pulling on the piercings.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
I got a new tattoo on March 10. It's my 13th. Here's the story. My brother was killed in Iraq on March 10, 2008. We always shared a love (and 'addiction') of tattoos and he would always try to compete with me for who has the most.

One of his was a shamrock on his forearm, so I decided to get a shamrock on my heart on the one year anniversary of his death. I also added the Gold Star Pin in the middle of it. That is something that you receive from the military if you've lost an immediate family member in the military. You're supposed to wear it over your heart, so now it will always be "on" me.

I'll post a picture in a little while. I have to get the Gold Star Pin touched up. I don't like the color work on it, so I have to go back to have him fix that. Once it's looking the way I want, I'll post a pic.
I am so sorry for your loss. A tattoo is a wonderful way to remember our loved ones.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:28 PM

Well, I got it done! I decided against industrials. I went after work this afternoon and got my nose re-pierced (in a better spot this time), and a rook piercing, both on my left side. I chose to get them on the same side for easier sleeping/healing.

My nostril bled like crazy this time. I'm hoping that doesn't mean he hit something vital. It's stopped for now, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

I almost passed out--should have eaten something beforehand! I feel like a wuss. I think it was the blood, though. Just trying to prepare myself for birth, hahaha.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:18 PM

Hi, I'd like to join your tribe. I have a full japanese sleve and and 2 swallows and a nautical star on my chest plus some others. I just got a madussa piercing yesterday also. My husband is a tattoo artist so he is covered also. I was looking to start an alternative play group in RI if there is anyone here from that area.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1140 View Post
I'm planning on getting a tattoo soon (if I am not pregnant), and I would like opinions. This is my idea:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...0/Photo103.jpg

My mom has ovarian cancer, so it's the ovarian cancer ribbon around her favorite flower, an orchid. I would like to get it on my back near my shoulder.

What do you think of it? Any tips? I've never gotten a tattoo before. I was thinking of bringing in these pictures, as well, so he/she can draw something up that will look better than mine:
That's very cool. I'm sure you could just take your drawing in and tell them what you wanted, and any decent artist should be able to draw it up for you. Good luck! Make sure to post a pic when you get it!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:09 AM

Just wanted to tell everyone a update on the guaging process on my ears. I am excited. I am at a 12 I know not much but I am really excited. I found a store near me that actually sells really cute plugs and spirals.:::

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
Old 04-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdipemomof2boy View Post
Just wanted to tell everyone a update on the guaging process on my ears. I am excited. I am at a 12 I know not much but I am really excited. I found a store near me that actually sells really cute plugs and spirals.:::

One of the best things I ever got was a cheap caliper on ebay. Plugs and spirals can be off quite a bit, even from well known makers, which can damage your ear.

If you like, I can link you to the one I got.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
One of the best things I ever got was a cheap caliper on ebay. Plugs and spirals can be off quite a bit, even from well known makers, which can damage your ear.

If you like, I can link you to the one I got.

That would be great if you would like to.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:28 AM

A micrometer like this works great. It's esp. good for the smaller sizes.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:13 AM

I really want to get 2 more tattoos to somehow remember both of my kids. I have no clue where to start though, I don't want just names, I'm clueless and without an idea! Any ideas?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:14 AM

Okay, I haven't been around for a while but I've been stretching my lobes still. Currently at a 4g. Just a quick question or two...

Did anyone have probs stretching while Pg?? One of my best friends said she couldn't stretch at all until late in the 3rd trimester, it was almost like her body wouldn't allow it. Well I was trying to stretch, it's not working, and I think I tore (small tear) my lobe. (Totally thru stupid mistakes...read...I fell asleep w/taper in). Which leads to question two...

Sea Salt Soak, where do i get sea salt? like at the grocery store? And how much salt to water ratio? All i've got is table salt and epsom salt but she told me that was the best thing to do while it heals. (And I've already downsized to let it heal up, I figure I wont stretch til after the babe is born).

TIA!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingSleep View Post
Okay, I haven't been around for a while but I've been stretching my lobes still. Currently at a 4g. Just a quick question or two...

Did anyone have probs stretching while Pg?? One of my best friends said she couldn't stretch at all until late in the 3rd trimester, it was almost like her body wouldn't allow it. Well I was trying to stretch, it's not working, and I think I tore (small tear) my lobe. (Totally thru stupid mistakes...read...I fell asleep w/taper in). Which leads to question two...

Sea Salt Soak, where do i get sea salt? like at the grocery store? And how much salt to water ratio? All i've got is table salt and epsom salt but she told me that was the best thing to do while it heals. (And I've already downsized to let it heal up, I figure I wont stretch til after the babe is born).

TIA!

You use 1/8-1/4 tsp per cup of water. It should only be as salty as your tears.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
I really want to get 2 more tattoos to somehow remember both of my kids. I have no clue where to start though, I don't want just names, I'm clueless and without an idea! Any ideas?
I am thinking of getting the tree of life as a tribal then putting their names on it somehow. I think it would be great especially if we do decide to adopt later to add their names to it. I want to put it on my back or if i get it smaller then what I am looking at putting it on my other leg

Old 04-06-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
A micrometer like this works great. It's esp. good for the smaller sizes.

Thanks I will think about getting one of those. They look neat actually.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:46 PM

I am getting something similar to this http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2161/...e02c80.jpg?v=0 in the next week!

I currently have a Runic Symbol for my husband just inside my left hip bone, this is sort of goign to be the center of the lotus. I am thinking that instead of the leaves, i want flowing water so that someday I can run the water around to my back and add onto it from there. Any ideas? I met with our tatoo artist today and he is drawing some things up.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:39 AM

My nose piercing had a keloid growth that would not go away. I had my piercer pierce through it again and took the keloid tissue off, now it is healing perfectly. If you can't get rid of it, go back to the piercer. As for tattooing being sdafe while bf, try asking a pedi. who is supportive of nursing and see what he thinks, I'm curious myself!

Writing mother of Kai and Kirin
Old 04-08-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okasanokami View Post
As for tattooing being sdafe while bf, try asking a pedi. who is supportive of nursing and see what he thinks, I'm curious myself!

My husband is a Chiropractic Physician (in a state that actually appreciates the fact that Chiropractors have as much or more clinical training than DO's and MD's- his scope of practice is the same as a general practictioner excluding the treatment of infectious disease) He is a big supporter of breastfeeding and other natural/heathful ways of raising children. He said the reason that may people say not to is because of the risk of contracting a disease that could pass to the baby, so as long as you are going to a licensed shop that is clean and inspected there is really no risk. There is nothing in the ink that can pass into the milk or your body or whatever.

Tags
Happiness Is A Choice For Teens , Todays Teen Student Edition
User Tag List