Tattoo and Pierced Tribe II - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 703 Old 08-18-2009, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
unfortunately, not too much you can do to remove a tattoo at home (Safely anyways)

However, lazer removal is a lot more effective at removing DIY tattoos than professionally done ones- the beams is able to reach the pigment more readily and break it up as they tend to be in more superficial layers of skin and done with India ink, which is much easier to remove and be absorbed by the body than true tattoo pigment

It IS expensive, though, and rather painful (I've had a couple of mine zapped and it's no walk in the park) but after a couple sessions, you should have good enough results to at least make for a good cover-up.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#482 of 703 Old 08-20-2009, 05:25 PM

Hi everyone! I have two tattoos (one of which was a cover-up), MANY more planned, and used to wear several piercings. Just writing to say hello and sub to the thread!
#483 of 703 Old 08-20-2009, 06:23 PM

MittensKittens- Honestly it is better to save up and get a good cover up, then it is to have another bad coverup you hate, that will force you in the future to spend even more money on laser removal. I say this because I have seen several people travel down this path, and most who try the cheapest fix end up the most disapointed.

I also have to say I had a home due tattoo I also HATED and wanted gone, I used makeup to cover it up and jewelry. I thought about cheap fixes, but decided to wait until I knew what I really wanted to do and in the end I did get a cover up and I am so happy now! I am glad I waited even though I did really hate the piece for the years I waited.

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#484 of 703 Old 08-21-2009, 02:56 PM

Ok, talk to me about piercings and hospital jewelry policy. I will be giving birth in a hospital (an open-minded place, but still a hospital), and if I remember correctly, you usually have to take metal jewelry out before being admitted. This isn't so much a problem with my nose and lobes, as I have glass jewelry for there, but I'm wondering about my rook piercing, which has a titanium barbell in it.

What have you had to do in terms of hospitals and your piercings? Should I just get a PTFE retainer for the rook? Will that be enough?

I don't want to lose my piercings.
#485 of 703 Old 08-21-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthmode View Post
Ok, talk to me about piercings and hospital jewelry policy. I will be giving birth in a hospital (an open-minded place, but still a hospital), and if I remember correctly, you usually have to take metal jewelry out before being admitted. This isn't so much a problem with my nose and lobes, as I have glass jewelry for there, but I'm wondering about my rook piercing, which has a titanium barbell in it.

What have you had to do in terms of hospitals and your piercings? Should I just get a PTFE retainer for the rook? Will that be enough?

I don't want to lose my piercings.
I think it might depend on your caregiver. When I gave birth (ages ago), I had many piercings, including a hood piercing. The hospital I had my son had a no piercing policy on the books, but my doctor told me not to worry about it (because it was a huge concern of mine)... the nurses just took the word of my doc and let it slide.

autismribbon.gif

#486 of 703 Old 08-21-2009, 08:13 PM

I lost most of my piercings, they even took out all the plastic ones I was so sad.
#487 of 703 Old 08-22-2009, 12:41 PM
mlh

I currently have a hoop in my nose and 1 tat on my ankle. I have been obsessed with getting another tatoo since my dd2 was born. I recently had a lotus flower done with henna and am thinking about getting this for a tat sometime very soon!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2477/...8838578586.jpg

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
#488 of 703 Old 09-02-2009, 12:11 PM

I just have a question for the heavily tattood mamas.....

I have been pretty heavily tattood for the last 10 years, so you would think that I would get used to the looks and comments, but truth be told... I haven't gotten used to it.

Just today I had been at work for only 2 hours and had one customer call and ask if I was the little girl with all the tattoos (Irk!), and another customer come in shortly after and just start staring at me like I'm some kind of zoo animal and even made stupid comments. How do you deal with this? The rude comments? People who won't allow you to assist them? etc. etc.

DP has it in his head I got tattoos for attention. NO! I got tattoos because I think they are beautiful, and I got them for me! Yes, I know they are out there for everyone to see, but sometimes I just want to be rude to people who forget that I have a name, or who refuse to interact with me. Luckily, it's not in my nature to be rude lol

I'm just curious how you handle these situations if you even let it get to you.

BTW, I have two full sleeves and a large chest piece that seem to be my attention getters in case anyone was wondering.

LeeAnn )O( Earth mama treehugger.gif and mother to DD Leela (9), DSD Ari (9), DD Zen (7), DS Gabrael Riot (4!)
Self preservation is a full time occupation! namaste.gif

#489 of 703 Old 09-02-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMommy80 View Post

I have been pretty heavily tattood for the last 10 years, so you would think that I would get used to the looks and comments, but truth be told... I haven't gotten used to it.

Just today I had been at work for only 2 hours and had one customer call and ask if I was the little girl with all the tattoos (Irk!), and another customer come in shortly after and just start staring at me like I'm some kind of zoo animal and even made stupid comments. How do you deal with this? The rude comments? People who won't allow you to assist them? etc. etc.

DP has it in his head I got tattoos for attention. NO! I got tattoos because I think they are beautiful, and I got them for me! Yes, I know they are out there for everyone to see, but sometimes I just want to be rude to people who forget that I have a name, or who refuse to interact with me. Luckily, it's not in my nature to be rude lol

BTW, I have two full sleeves and a large chest piece that seem to be my attention getters in case anyone was wondering.
I'm sleeved as well and get the comments too. Some pretty stupid and insensitive things have been said. I often don't know what to do either. I work from home, so I don't have to deal with it in a workplace but I have to deal with it everywhere else. My first line of defense is just outright ignoring it or staring right back. I think that some people will just never get it. If I'm in a situation where I can't/won't be rude back, I try to make light small talk about it so they realize I'm just another person who happens to just be more colorful. My husband has asked me to cover when we're at my son's school because he doesn't want to be discriminated against. I can understand his point to a degree, but it's still frustrating.

autismribbon.gif

#490 of 703 Old 09-02-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaki View Post
I'm sleeved as well and get the comments too. Some pretty stupid and insensitive things have been said. I often don't know what to do either. I work from home, so I don't have to deal with it in a workplace but I have to deal with it everywhere else. My first line of defense is just outright ignoring it or staring right back. I think that some people will just never get it. If I'm in a situation where I can't/won't be rude back, I try to make light small talk about it so they realize I'm just another person who happens to just be more colorful. My husband has asked me to cover when we're at my son's school because he doesn't want to be discriminated against. I can understand his point to a degree, but it's still frustrating.
I have never been asked to cover for any reason, but I do find myself covering so that I don't have to deal with the crap. Also, when spring breaks after wearing long sleeves for 6 months and now it's time for short sleeves, I start dreading it!

I'm happy with who I am and how I look, I just wish people would be a little more considerate and that I would be a little less sensitive

LeeAnn )O( Earth mama treehugger.gif and mother to DD Leela (9), DSD Ari (9), DD Zen (7), DS Gabrael Riot (4!)
Self preservation is a full time occupation! namaste.gif

#491 of 703 Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 PM

I miss having body mods. In the past I had a 4g tongue stud, a labret, a madison, belly button and both my nipples (one had a cross). Now I have no metal in me. Oddly I've noticed my love for punk and metal to be fading since I've removed my piercings. Perhaps I should experament and see if adding some metal to my body will bring more metal back into my life.

Rebecca - Single mom to one perfect DD and one not so perfect dog.
#492 of 703 Old 09-15-2009, 08:15 PM

Oh yeah does anyone know any excellent portrait artist in the Pac NW? I am willing to go up to Vancouver BC area and South to Portland to find the right gal for the job (or guy). I've been wanting to get my dd's face but have no clue who to go to.

Rebecca - Single mom to one perfect DD and one not so perfect dog.
#493 of 703 Old 09-20-2009, 07:21 PM

Hi everyone!

I joined mdc a couple months back looking for support while I was going through a miscarriage. Its been a hard time in my life, but I've been feeling better lately. One of the things that has brought me the most closure was getting a memorial tattoo for my lost little lima bean. I've always LOVED tattoos, but never got one because I feel that a tattoo should have some significance, and no event in my life has compared to the loss I felt as a result of the miscarriage. I got it done a little over a week ago and I am so happy with it. It is tucked right between my breasts, all safe and snug and always with me. I love it and wanted to share. Here's a pic that was taken a day or two after I had it done. The black is now a the soft grey color that I wanted, and the heart really pops.

http://gallery.me.com/ahhlechic#100024

Melissa - 3 furbabies, 2 stepkids, 1 toddler born (9/27/10).  One loss on 7/13/09.

#494 of 703 Old 09-28-2009, 03:50 PM

ColorClash,

That tat is beautiful!
#495 of 703 Old 09-28-2009, 03:51 PM

Just found this thread.

I am a tattooed momma too! Love them! Mine don't have any real signifigance except that I love them. My private little art gallery!
#496 of 703 Old 09-28-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HempyHippyMama View Post
Oh yeah does anyone know any excellent portrait artist in the Pac NW? I am willing to go up to Vancouver BC area and South to Portland to find the right gal for the job (or guy). I've been wanting to get my dd's face but have no clue who to go to.
black and grey or full color?

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#497 of 703 Old 09-28-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMommy80 View Post

as a heavily tattooed mama, i get it all the time! my biggest pet peeve though is when people touch me. i try to touch them back if im in the mood to make a point.

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#498 of 703 Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HempyHippyMama View Post
http://www.anviltattoo.com/

ive got work by keith bailey-he is extremely talented and i trust him quite a bit-the work holds up beautifully (my tattoo is 5 years old now)

#499 of 703 Old 09-30-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian's mama View Post
i found out from an artist friend that it's perfectly possible to ink over stretch marks. (he did warn it might hurt a bit extra, though.) so i'ma be rockin something special on my chunky mama belly this summer, after i treat myself for my 30th bday in july. i can't frickin wait!!!
so glad to hear that, I want to cover some of mine after #2 comes in May. I have 4 large ones, the one on my back I want to wrap around my belly to the front and wondered the same about stretch marks. I have been DYING to get another and I can;t wait until after May...good luck with yours and Happy 30th

Heather, Mama to Addison 1/26/09 and #2 due in May 2010...babywear, breastfeed, bed-share, cloth diaper"The greatest respect is owed to a child."
#500 of 703 Old 09-30-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedmamajama View Post
http://www.anviltattoo.com/

ive got work by keith bailey-he is extremely talented and i trust him quite a bit-the work holds up beautifully (my tattoo is 5 years old now)
I got my work done by Vyvyn Lazonga

she has a super long waiting list and is Uber expensive, but so so worth it

http://www.vyvyn.com/

Heather, Mama to Addison 1/26/09 and #2 due in May 2010...babywear, breastfeed, bed-share, cloth diaper"The greatest respect is owed to a child."
#501 of 703 Old 09-30-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedmamajama View Post
as a heavily tattooed mama, i get it all the time! my biggest pet peeve though is when people touch me. i try to touch them back if im in the mood to make a point.
Just a bitch...
I was visiting my ultra-conservative in laws with DD and DH. Mind you, DD is 8 months old and they NEVER made a point to come see her. So like a bunch of dumb-asses, here we go 15 hour drive to Atlanta to see them

ANYWAY...they asked if I could wear jeans to cover up my ink and a long sleeve shirt in 90-effing degree Atlanta weather. I was so flabbergasted, but didn't want to create waves, so I freakin complied. Am I an idiot?

#502 of 703 Old 09-30-2009, 02:06 PM

Glad to have found this thread : ) I've got 4 tats and gauged lobes. Have been planning a sleeve but am going to wait until we are no longer nursing... Dh isn't crazy about the sleeve (he has one tat that he got last summer) idea BUT completely loves all of my bod mods and I am sure he will love it when he sees just how gorgeous it is going to be He loves my gauged ears and jewelry (currently 00 gold dicros) but told me when we first started dating that the tats and earrings intimidated him a little bit. I am by NO means an intimidating person...at all lol- he was going on looks alone. Anyone else find this to be true of their Dh/Dp or strangers in general?

EarthMommy80- I got some stares at my last place of employment. When I first started there, I wore mostly long sleeves as it was winter (I have sanskrit forearm tattoos on both arms) but I caught the women in my office peeking every time I would roll them up lol
Anyway mostly just wanted to say hello : )

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#503 of 703 Old 10-07-2009, 04:47 PM

Hi everyone!

I am not in this tribe, but I was hoping some you mamas might have any ideas on how to transform my one tattoo.

It is simply three rings around my upper arm. Three lines, thin black lines, about 1/4 inch apart.

It sort of looks like a prison tattoo. But it isn't. It is homemade, though. Long story.

Anyway, I would like to change it into something. I was thinking some kind of feather band thing, with some feathers hanging down, native american style, YK?

I always get such get ideas, links, info and inspiration on all the forums here at Mothering, so hopefully someone can get me going here!

Thanks.
Oh and thanks, all you inked beauties, for bringing art and colour into the world on your beautiful skin. Blessings!
#504 of 703 Old 10-08-2009, 01:17 PM

Hello mamas!!!

DH and I are swinging through Miami for a couple of hours, and sticking to our tradition of getting inked away from home, wanted to stop in a good shop. Are any of you ladies in Miami, and if so, can you suggest a shop? We have our designs, already, just need someone who can do good solid work to ink them on.

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
#505 of 703 Old 10-08-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehawksmom View Post
Hi everyone!

I am not in this tribe, but I was hoping some you mamas might have any ideas on how to transform my one tattoo.

It is simply three rings around my upper arm. Three lines, thin black lines, about 1/4 inch apart.

It sort of looks like a prison tattoo. But it isn't. It is homemade, though. Long story.

Anyway, I would like to change it into something. I was thinking some kind of feather band thing, with some feathers hanging down, native american style, YK?

I always get such get ideas, links, info and inspiration on all the forums here at Mothering, so hopefully someone can get me going here!

Thanks.
Oh and thanks, all you inked beauties, for bringing art and colour into the world on your beautiful skin. Blessings!
Check out www.bmezine.com. There's lots of great tattoo pictures on there!
#506 of 703 Old 10-15-2009, 09:26 PM

Hi mamas... I'm hoping I could ask you gals a question. I think it would be better suited here than in the "I'm pregnant board." I have 3 piercings in each ear lobe. The bottom piercings were done when I was a small kid and are 100% healed. The top two were done a few years back while I was in college... and I thought they were healed. The two top piercings in my right lobe seem to have opened back up and are irritated/possibly getting infected. Nothing has happened with them that would cause this-no change in jewelry, I didn't hit my ear, I hold my phone to the other ear, my head rests on the other side when I sleep... the only thing that coincides with this is my getting pregnant. My usual sea salt and warm water rinse solution doesn't seem to be helping this time around. Is this normal during a pg? Any ideas on how I can heal this without taking out my jewelry and having them close up? TIA!

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#507 of 703 Old 10-16-2009, 01:04 PM

Just joined this board yesterday, glad to have found this thread!

I have four tattoos and a labret. just got my last tattoo a couple of months ago. going to get more after the baby and move.

heres a link to my Flickr, so you can see two of the four tattoos: Bettina's Flickr

wild.gifCrazy Chef-in-training baking wife(27) of geek.gif (32) mother of 2 energy.gif 11-21-03 & 9 - 13 - 07

#508 of 703 Old 10-21-2009, 11:24 AM

Added a new piece yesterday. It's SO awesome!! My tattoo girl is beyond great. I went in to just see if she could do something with the one design I've been seeing around online - a heart wearing headphones - and maybe add a quote.

It was supposed to just be a small little thing on my wrist.

Welllllll...the problem with working with a crazy-talented artist is that it sometimes turns into way more than you had planned. WHich is fine by me! haha

Anywho, here's the finished product.
The quote says: "Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness." And it's a heart wearing headphones that has an old school microphone going through it (a play on the old school heart/dagger tats).

http://i36.tinypic.com/21oc3gx.jpg

Working at home, tattoo'd, metalhead momma - homeschooling Evan (1.22.'06) and Abigail (8.2.'08) fencing.gif , and happy partner to Kyle jammin.gif . 
#509 of 703 Old 10-28-2009, 05:03 PM

Hi, I am thinking about getting my nose pierced. I really want to do it, but I have a couple of questions. If I ever decided to take it out later on, is the hole noticeable? And, will the piercer know where on my nose to place it or will he/she ask me where I want it? I don't have any friends IRL who have any piercings other than ears, so I don't have any recommendations to know where to go... San Antonio, Texas area? Any advice?
#510 of 703 Old 10-28-2009, 05:53 PM

[QUOTE=amyhen;14591884]Hi, I am thinking about getting my nose pierced. I really want to do it, but I have a couple of questions. If I ever decided to take it out later on, is the hole noticeable? And, will the piercer know where on my nose to place it or will he/she ask me where I want it?

I've had it pierced twice and each time the hole closed I couldn't see it. They will ask but I'm sure they know the best place for you.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!

Tags
Happiness Is A Choice For Teens , Todays Teen Student Edition

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page