Modest Dressing Mommas - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 603 Old 05-31-2009, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I worried about whether my dp (future husband) would like me in modest clothing, since we were long distance over the period when I slowly switched into more modest clothing. Mind my modest clothing isn't that modest, but he is vocally approving of my headcoverings, and keeps saying they look pretty. Since the only other modesty things I have right now, are longer skirts almost all the time, and not too skintight clothes, and I'm perfectly willing to dress up in some of my former, rather ummm slutty clothes, for fun for him at home, he's cool. sometimes he'll take my hair covering off at home, saying he wants to see my pretty hair, when I leave it on (I really only cover in public atm.), which I don't mind.

I worried about it big time, but he doesn't seem to mind. I am still careful to pick attractive clothing, because I want to look nice, I just don't want to show off a lot of skin or be too sexy in public. I'd rather be beautiful than sexy, to the rest of the world (but both to him )

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#302 of 603 Old 05-31-2009, 03:29 PM
npl

Just today, my dh told me that he loves that I dress modestly. He always knew it was important to me, and so in the past I figured he just accepted it as part of who I was. Today, when he told me he likes to see me dressed in a modest, "put together" way (ie rather than worn-out clothes) and he appreciates that I make the effort to cover up. I was blown away, especially as many women in our community do not cover as fully as I do, and even those who do tend to be a little more showy in their choice of clothing and headcovering. It was a lovely compliment to get!
#303 of 603 Old 05-31-2009, 04:27 PM

To those among you who pretty much only wear long skirts/dresses: how are you active? I mean, really active, not just "chasing a toddler in a park" active? Hiking, biking, horseback riding, team sports, swimming, etc. I've always just worn pants for those kinds of things, even when otherwise dressing to a pretty modest extreme, figuring that my take on modesty isn't really about inhibiting my actual motion. Which gets me to wondering if other people find long skirts/dresses at all inhibiting or if they've just learned to work with them, or if not making exceptions is more attractive to people who aren't really interested in activities for which the clothes aren't the most functional in the first place, or if people are striking a balance where they only really participate where privacy or gender specificity is maximized (I do that one too -- gym memberships come to mind), and so on.
#304 of 603 Old 05-31-2009, 06:47 PM

well, I think for very active things, like mountain biking, loose trousers would be a must. You can't ride a bike down a mountain if there's any chance your skirt would whip out and snag a tree branch. You can always wear a tunic length top to cover your rear, in those circumstances.

I have been finding skirts delightfully easy to move in. I think if I ever go back to the Eiffel Tower, I'll wear pants. :

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#305 of 603 Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 PM

I don't have a problem hiking in a skirt, or running, or similar activities though I've never been a runner, so running isn't training or competative for me. Just bits of running here and there, to get places in a hurry. they key, for hiking, and being active for me, is to keep your skirts to ankle length or above. Mid calf is great.

biking, I have no clue. Horseback riding, you could try wide legged pants, if you can, like gauchos, but I just wear pants.

For swimming, I know they make all sorts of modest swim suits. Not sure what I'll do for swim suits, I haven't got anything that works at all, atm.

I don't find mid calf length flowy skirts or dresses to be the least bit hindering for most of my daily activities. I would like to bike more, but I don't have a way to make that work, atm. no good place to put the bike, and can't do it in skirts, ime.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#306 of 603 Old 06-02-2009, 04:01 PM

Butting in here (I lurk on this thread) just to say - for modest dressing horse back riders, they do make riding skirts that fall around the ankle that are appropriate for competition or pleasure riding. (Google "split riding skirt" or "horseback riding skirt".) I believe there are patterns available online as well ...

K: Wife to C, Momma to C (2/20/08) & A (11/7/09)!
#307 of 603 Old 06-02-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLove View Post
Butting in here (I lurk on this thread) just to say - for modest dressing horse back riders, they do make riding skirts that fall around the ankle that are appropriate for competition or pleasure riding. (Google "split riding skirt" or "horseback riding skirt".) I believe there are patterns available online as well ...
Years ago, I made the old fashioned one. It has a panel in the front, that is sewn to one side, with buttons all the way down, and then the other side actually has buttons, with the holes being on the panel. If you are riding, be it bike or horse, you open up the panel and button it to the other side.
Here is a drawing of it..
And, I just found the actual pattern I used!
Its one of the Folkwear patterns.

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#308 of 603 Old 06-22-2009, 02:21 AM

Check out this site ladies!!!
http://www.aquamodesta.net/ACTIVE%20...0PAGE%201.html

#309 of 603 Old 06-22-2009, 02:27 AM

When hiking or doing other activities, I put a pair of pants or capris under my skirt.

We live in an Orthodox community where modest dressing is the norm and the young girls wear leggings under their skirts daily so they can be comfortable and playful. It actually looks really cute to the see the lace edging peeking out just below the skirt hem.
#310 of 603 Old 06-22-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
I am still careful to pick attractive clothing, because I want to look nice, I just don't want to show off a lot of skin or be too sexy in public. I'd rather be beautiful than sexy, to the rest of the world (but both to him )
My husband and I often say that a (modest) woman can be attractive without being attracting.
#311 of 603 Old 06-22-2009, 07:16 PM

exactly 3 daughters!

#312 of 603 Old 06-23-2009, 11:21 AM

Hi, any skirt-wearing mamas here that are kind of tall?? I'm 5'9 and would love to wear long flowy "hippie" skirts almost all the time. But I want them to be really long on me, like hitting the tops of my shoes and I just can't seem to find any long enough. I did find a couple at Target that were only super-long because they could be worn as either a skirt or a dress. I find most "long" skirts actually hit around my calves and they don't look right.
#313 of 603 Old 06-24-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs joe bubby View Post
Hi, any skirt-wearing mamas here that are kind of tall?? I'm 5'9 and would love to wear long flowy "hippie" skirts almost all the time. But I want them to be really long on me, like hitting the tops of my shoes and I just can't seem to find any long enough. I did find a couple at Target that were only super-long because they could be worn as either a skirt or a dress. I find most "long" skirts actually hit around my calves and they don't look right.
Yes, I am 6'0" and wear skirts a lot... and I like them to be down to my shoes as well... but I always have to make my own. I've never yet found one to buy that is as long as I want, so I just found an easy pattern that I like (I'm definitely not a sewing expert!) and make a new one whenever I need it with material from the bargain shelf! Even though the pattern I use is a simple, full skirt with an elastic waist, I've gotten tons of compliments on my skirts over the years. Don't know if that helps you or not!

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

#314 of 603 Old 06-24-2009, 09:19 PM

^ Yeah that might be an option, thanks. I've never really done much sewing but I did inherit a perfectly good machine from a relative that passed. I suppose I could try to learn....
#315 of 603 Old 06-24-2009, 11:03 PM

I don't think pants in and of themselves, are immodest. I have no qualms wearing pants for hiking, camping, physical labor. I used to work in a cellar and skirts were not an option - cat walks, chemicals, hoses, water, ick.

I run. I stopped wearing shorts and wear mostly capri length leggings or pants. I wear longer sleeved technical tops and cover with a ball cap. I would like to get this skirt: http://miraclothes.com/products.aspx

I also swim and bike (and triathlon) and I can't imagine giving up either of those activities for modesty reasons. Perhaps someday, but not now. I wear cycling jerseys and shorts, and cover my head with a helmet Swim wear wise, modest suits, IMHO, have far to much fabric to swim competitively.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#316 of 603 Old 06-25-2009, 01:47 PM

True. I decided for comfort and convenience that I was fine wearing a fairly covering one piece (speedo, not a fashion one) and shorts at the beach, and nix the shorts when I went in the water. I wear jeans when I work in a commercial kitchen, because I have to, skirts wouldn't be safe, really. (we *have* to wear pants)

#317 of 603 Old 06-25-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
True. I decided for comfort and convenience that I was fine wearing a fairly covering one piece (speedo, not a fashion one) and shorts at the beach, and nix the shorts when I went in the water. I wear jeans when I work in a commercial kitchen, because I have to, skirts wouldn't be safe, really. (we *have* to wear pants)
May I ask why a skirt would not be "safe"?
Skirts have been worn in kitchens, and everywhere else for that matter, far longer then pants!
I wore skirts exclusivly in the commercial settings I was in for the last 18 years.

I am thinking about the woman that lost her bus driving job, because they told her that skirts were very dangerous when driving a bus. Because she refused to wear pants, they fired her!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05312007...t_reporter.htm

#318 of 603 Old 06-25-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
May I ask why a skirt would not be "safe"?
Skirts have been worn in kitchens, and everywhere else for that matter, far longer then pants!
I wore skirts exclusivly in the commercial settings I was in for the last 18 years.
[/URL]
My profession is an old one, one of the oldest (not THAT one ) and a modern cellar with modern equipment is vastly different from cellars of old. And frankly, women wouldn't have been as prevalent in winemaking even 50 years ago. Clambering in and out of tanks and vats, scaling barrels and catwalks is all possible whilst wearing a skirt, but pants are just more practical. And from a safety standpoint, in a winery where you've got a great deal of water and chemicals in suspension, canvas/jean pant legs tucked into rubber boots to confer a greater degree of safety than boots under a skirt.

#319 of 603 Old 06-25-2009, 10:02 PM

I suppose I could wear a skirt, if I pushed it, I'm sure that they would let me wear a thick, non-flowey skirt. I've just not really felt the need. I wear them at home in the kitchen, but many of my skirts might be underfoot (being super flowy), or just not protective enough against knives and hot food.

#320 of 603 Old 06-28-2009, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Because we only have one car, I have to ride my bike to work (or fork over money for the bus, but the bike is free) 3 days a week. So, I found a couple of knee-length dresses I can wear to work (one's a 3/4 sleeved T-shirt type dress, the other a S/S polo I wear over a long-sleeved T-shirt), and I put wide-legged pants under them. I cuff and roll the pants while actually on the bike, so they don't get caught on anything. I used to have a couple of skirts I could wear while biking, either pinned/tucked up or just the right fullness to not get caught up on anything, but those have either worn out or don't fit the dress code at work (khaki or brown pants/skirt, dark blue shirt).

About the only problem I have now is finding tops that are BOTH long enough for me (at least mid-thigh) AND have a high enough collar. One of my work dresses I'm actually not really thrilled with, because it shows more of my shoulders/chest than I'd like. I tried wearing at crew-necked T-shirt under it, but it didn't look right, plus I was so hot! Any economical AND nice-looking suggestions?

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#321 of 603 Old 07-07-2009, 06:39 PM

:: I just found the greatest products! Layering 3/4 and layering crew neck

kinda pricey but a great way to extend the pregnancy wardrobe!! This is great for me since I love the Old Navy maternity stuff but it's not exactly as modest as I'd like....

#322 of 603 Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
:: I just found the greatest products! Layering 3/4 and layering crew neck

kinda pricey but a great way to extend the pregnancy wardrobe!! This is great for me since I love the Old Navy maternity stuff but it's not exactly as modest as I'd like....
Also, on ebay right now, search for Kiki Riki -- they have long sleeve and 3/4 sleeve shirts to wear underneath that are half shirts/cropped, so no worry about a belly...I think they were like $9 or $10 when I searched yesterday. They're also great for nursing because you can wear it under a zip hoodie, and just unzip as far as the half shirt, and lift up where the baby needs to be

prettymematernity.com has some crewnecks for $20...not old navy prices, but much cheaper than tummies
#323 of 603 Old 07-08-2009, 12:20 PM

actually, the kiki rikis I see on ebay now are not the cropped shells, so they aren't that great for maternity -- but perfect for other modest dressing mamas
#324 of 603 Old 07-10-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs joe bubby View Post
awhile back, Liquesce had posted about this website.

http://www.shukronline.com/womens-skirts.html

i'm very tall, and the skirts here fit wonderfully.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#325 of 603 Old 07-11-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post

And I'm not very tall (5'6") and since I'm lazy about hemming I typically have their skirts hiked up to my ribcage. Like heidirk indicated, they should fit someone a few inches taller than me great.
#326 of 603 Old 07-12-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post

Excellent, thank you! :
#327 of 603 Old 07-13-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnottelling View Post
Also, on ebay right now, search for Kiki Riki -- they have long sleeve and 3/4 sleeve shirts to wear underneath that are half shirts/cropped, so no worry about a belly...I think they were like $9 or $10 when I searched yesterday. They're also great for nursing because you can wear it under a zip hoodie, and just unzip as far as the half shirt, and lift up where the baby needs to be

prettymematernity.com has some crewnecks for $20...not old navy prices, but much cheaper than tummies
thanks for the tip - I'm off to check Ebay

#328 of 603 Old 07-20-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
And I'm not very tall (5'6") and since I'm lazy about hemming I typically have their skirts hiked up to my ribcage. Like heidirk indicated, they should fit someone a few inches taller than me great.

Niemals Gewalt
#329 of 603 Old 07-20-2009, 07:35 PM

Haha, Heidi, you laugh, but you are the exact body type who looks GREAT in Shukr skirts! Liquesce and I don't have that luxury.

(Heidi has this great linen-ish - is it real linen? - skirt from Shukr that I LOVE and that looks great on her, so I'm allowed a bit of jealous ribbing, I think. )

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#330 of 603 Old 07-20-2009, 07:36 PM

Of course!

and it's cotton. . . even better! : because I do have an iron- in my attic- somewhere. . .

Niemals Gewalt

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page