Forum Jump: 

#181 of 603 Old 10-08-2008, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Sounds like Patty?
yes PATTY! that is it... and rueben I think? (sp maybe?)

sorry I didn't see this reply sooner. they are such a nice couple.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#182 of 603 Old 10-15-2008, 04:58 PM

hi there. great thread. i have a question for all of you modest mothers.

i would like to only wear dresses for a variety of reasons:
1. dresses make me feel feminine
2. dresses make me look feminine
3. i am not good at matching. i have a good supply of clothes, but many of them don't go together (skirts and tops).
4. i think i would look more "put together" in a dress
5. i'd always be ready for church at a moments notice!
6. i can throw one on ...little effort

the only problem is nursing! i am feeding two right now, and cannot seem to find any nice dresses to nurse in. the budget is small and i have zero time to sew at the moment. any ideas? does anyonew have a style of dress that they LOVE nursing in? know of any good online nursing clothing resale shops?

THANKS!!!

btw, my husband likes me to wear flattering styles (i.e. no jumpers!).

mother to girl (8), boy (7), girl (5) and twin boys (12/07) and a little boy due Feb 5!!
#183 of 603 Old 10-15-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdingkittens View Post

btw, my husband likes me to wear flattering styles (i.e. no jumpers!).
While I understand the sentiment (and wearing my jumper makes me feel a bit like a stereotype or something) my husband LOVES me jumper. He thinks it's cute/pretty.
#184 of 603 Old 10-15-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyvangogh View Post
He thinks it's cute/pretty.
I think so too, but not having the potential to be a husband my comment probably doesn't count for much in this respect.
#185 of 603 Old 10-16-2008, 12:57 AM

I really like jumpers too!

However, I have to admit that they are not very flattering to the feminine body. If you are going to flatter the curves, you need a waiste line. Skirts and shirts are the only thing that I have found to accomplish this while nursing.

The way to do your wardrob for skirts is to just find a solid color, flattering, easy to nurse in top that will match multiple skirts.

But if anyone knows where to find flattering dresses that are easy to discreatly nurse in, I am interested.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#186 of 603 Old 10-16-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
But if anyone knows where to find flattering dresses that are easy to discreatly nurse in, I am interested.
Hmm ... I have a jersey-knit mock wrap dress (this one ... one of the dresses I bought to shorten into a long top ) that, with a tank under it, works beautifully for nursing ... the crossover wrap front in the somewhat stretchy fabric is so easy to pull aside or even just out to let the baby's head rest behind it.

The specific dress may not be what most people are looking for length-wise, and they seem to be sold out of all but the higher plus sizes anyway, but just for the *type* that I think fits the definition.
#187 of 603 Old 10-16-2008, 02:15 PM

ack! I hope I have not offended anyone! Actually, I would love to live in jumpers, myself, but I have to compromise! It's hard to find something that suits my age and style that isn't revealing or too short, etc.

mother to girl (8), boy (7), girl (5) and twin boys (12/07) and a little boy due Feb 5!!
#188 of 603 Old 10-16-2008, 02:55 PM

Hi
I consider myself pretty modest. I am another LDS mom. I wear loose knit pants and longer sleeved t-shirts and blouses. All of my skirts are at least mid-calf and most are ankle length.
I am hoping for a sewing machine for Christmases so I can learn to make some of my own clothes, because everything that is at all modest now seems to always be so expensive.
As far as my sons dressing modestly. They can wear shorts, but they need to be to the knees. They have to have sleeves on their shirts. They wear shirts when we are out in public, including to swim (though this is becoming a point of contention with my 6 year old.)

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#189 of 603 Old 10-17-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdingkittens View Post
ack! I hope I have not offended anyone! Actually, I would love to live in jumpers, myself, but I have to compromise! It's hard to find something that suits my age and style that isn't revealing or too short, etc.
Not offended here!

I love jumpers. But I must admit that they can make me look more rounded rather that shapely. And since I am already a bit more round than I would like, I save the jumpers for when I am pg, or those "instant dress" moments when I jump out of bed only long enough to run Hubby to the bus before crawling back under the covers.

#190 of 603 Old 10-17-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
Not offended here!
Me either! I totally got your point. And if I wasn't pregnant DH might not like a jumper over other outfits as much as he does. I agree with the PP who said other dresses and skirt/shirt outfits that show you have a waist are more flattering.
#191 of 603 Old 10-17-2008, 11:31 AM

Oh I don't wear trousers! I did when I was pregnant, but now it's all skirts,
I prefer to dress "proper"..
(don't want to offend anyone, if you like to wear trousers that's your thing, i personally find them uncomfortable anyway )
#192 of 603 Old 10-25-2008, 09:38 PM

Ohhh, see, I love wearing trousers, but for me it's more of a sensory thing. Sometimes in skirts, I feel too 'light' and it makes me anxious. Same reason I prefer sweaters, I think!

'course, in the winter I can wear tights under skirts, so that's better.

For coordinations sake, most of my bottom peices, be they skirts, or trousers, are solid/neutral colors, and most of my tops are prints/textured, so it's easier to pull together an outfit that way.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#193 of 603 Old 10-29-2008, 02:50 PM

I have a bunch of skirts that are pretty thin. I don't *think* they look like summer ones (although I think they technically *are* spring/summer styles). Right now, money is kind of tight. I was wondering if leggings underneath them would work, or if it would look tacky (if you could see them? I don't know if you could or not.) or basically what you ladies' opinions are. DH said I can get some denim skirts come end of November/beginning of December, so if you think it would work but not really well, that would be alright too.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#194 of 603 Old 10-29-2008, 11:25 PM

I think I might have posted before but I don't remember. I am another LDS mom and I dress modestly and actually prefer to wear long skirts instead of pants but cannot find any long skirts and dresses anywhere and all mine are too small since I am 65lbs heavier since having my lo's.

Does anyone know where I can get some? I really would like a couple long jean skirts and a few plain colored ones.

I seem to feel like a better wife and mother while dressing in long skirts because it makes me feel more femime(I can't remember how to spell it). If that makes any sense.

TIA!

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#195 of 603 Old 10-30-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsmom06 View Post

Does anyone know where I can get some? I really would like a couple long jean skirts and a few plain colored ones.

I seem to feel like a better wife and mother while dressing in long skirts because it makes me feel more femime(I can't remember how to spell it). If that makes any sense.

TIA!
There are several cute long denim ones on this site

soft cotton ones here.
Love most all the clothes here at hannah lise

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#196 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsmom06 View Post
Hi. I don't know your budget ... most places I know online are a little higher priced than I'd like myself, but I'll share anyway.

Devora Fashions
Ringger Clothing
Style J Ebay Store -- really good for a wide size range of denim skirts
Modest World
al-Mujalbaba -- just basic, solid color, low-maintenance, stretchy-waisted skirts
Artizara
Shukr -- this is usually where I go first ... not cheap, but well made, generally all natural fibers, and with few exceptions generally on the more simple side. They should be updating their stock for fall soon though.
#197 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 01:06 AM

I have been dieing for long denim skirts too!

subbing

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#198 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcneal View Post
I have a bunch of skirts that are pretty thin. I don't *think* they look like summer ones (although I think they technically *are* spring/summer styles). Right now, money is kind of tight. I was wondering if leggings underneath them would work, or if it would look tacky (if you could see them? I don't know if you could or not.) or basically what you ladies' opinions are. DH said I can get some denim skirts come end of November/beginning of December, so if you think it would work but not really well, that would be alright too.
I don't think leggings would look strange at all. from a style point of veiw, leggins are comeing back anyway!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#199 of 603 Old 11-01-2008, 12:49 AM

Liquesce, the Artizara site is GORGEOUS! I just love the section of formal wear. Wow.

As always Shukr has great skirts, and cheaper than I thought!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#200 of 603 Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 AM

I'm not a mom (yet) but I'm a modest dresser - head covering gal, too.
There's something very feminine to me about dressing modestly.
I won't lie, I love (modest) blue jeans. I turned some of 'em into skirts, though.
I'm a garden variety Presbyterian and the only gal in my congregation who covers which is hard sometimes... I get a lot of ugly looks and comments from people when they realise it isn't a fashion statement! Oh well. It has nothing to do with them. Its something I feel convicted about.

At any rate. I'm excited to find a group online of other modest gals. Do any of you cover your head?

-Deedee
#201 of 603 Old 11-20-2008, 04:17 PM

Hey, Deedee!

Lots of us headcover as well. There's a thread in Spirituality (don't know if you have access to that forum yet) where we talk specifically about that.

What kind of headcovering do you wear?

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#202 of 603 Old 11-20-2008, 10:32 PM

Hey there!

I'll have a look and see if I can enter the Spirituality Thread.

My head covering is similar to this one:
http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/bun.pl

I'm so excited to meet other ladies who cover.

-Deedee
#203 of 603 Old 11-24-2008, 07:18 PM

*waves* i'm a modest dressing not-yet-mama. I'm not yet skirts only, but i never wear shorts or tank tops or anything very revealing. I'm having the hardest time finding long skirts, especially jean or corduroy. I've even looked in thrift/second hand shops! It's very frustrating! I'm also starting headcovering. I have a friend that is making me some after the holidays. (i really love the headcoverings on www.garlandsofgrace.com)

Shelby
#204 of 603 Old 11-26-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Mennonite cape dresses are great, because they're made for nursing. I'm actually wearing an older style Motherhood nursing dress today, and it reminds me of the cape-style dresses.

I generally wear tops and skirts when I am nursing.
Is there a link to a picture?
#205 of 603 Old 11-27-2008, 05:20 AM

Wanted to post a link to a modest workout clothing site: http://skirtsports.com/shop/new.cfm

probably not modest enough for some, but I have a hard time finding modest workout gear and the Tough Girl outfit from this site is just perfect for me at this moment in time.

I just wish I could afford it.

eta: not all of their stuff is modest, so be aware

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#206 of 603 Old 11-28-2008, 02:59 AM

Wow... lots of great links here. I'm starting to re-assess the wardrobe here. I've been known to wear things I definitely shouldn't but lately I'm not wanting to dress that way anymore. I can't take the plunge into some of the very modest clothes though. I'm just not sure I'd be comfortable in some of them although I'm no longer comfortable in my current wardrobe. Finding modest clothes (something not advertising my figure IMO) isn't easy either as I'm very full figured. I'm fairly small in size too but with a huge bottom and extra large top. I look like Barbie for lack of a better description and often get called "Dolly" as in Dolly Parton.

I'm wanting to find some simple clothing in pretty colors and prints to start wearing. Just going to have to look around I guess to find something that will fit me and not be a budget breaker.
#207 of 603 Old 11-28-2008, 04:07 AM

I'm back in my home state of CA for the holiday, and seeing some friends for the first time in 6 months. I started the modest dressing journey before graduation in May but I guess some friends didn't pay too much attention or it was too obvious. It was strange to be "noticed" by people I'm close too but haven't witnessed the progression. I got some comments on my headbands and necklines. It's not enough to change anything but I wasn't expecting it. I don't live in an area where anyone really covers, nor is it the norm with my friends from home.

On a side note, I was shopping for boots and I ran into a gaggle of Frum (Orthodox Jewish) girls looking for boots at the same time. We instantly recognized each other and smiled : I did feel kinda sheepish because it was the ONE DAY I wasn't wearing any kind of headband or scarf..

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#208 of 603 Old 11-30-2008, 02:27 AM

I am a modest dressing woman. I only wear skirts because when wearing pants/shorts, it highlights and encourages people to look at my rear. I think I read that there was a study done that showed that people, all people, not just men, automatically look at the rear end of a woman who is wearing pants. Not so with men wearing pants. I am not interested in either drawing attention to myself nor aiding someone in committing sin. I do believe that when one looks upon the body of another in any way other than pure, we are taking a step toward sinning against that person.
#209 of 603 Old 12-03-2008, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joiedevivre184 View Post
(i really love the headcoverings on www.garlandsofgrace.com)
those are GORGEOUS!!!!

I am thinking of headcovering but not really for religious reasons. I am and have always been suuuuuper sensitive about my hair. I only let DH touch it (haven't had my hair professionally cut or styled in over 10 years) and honestly for me that is more intimate then.... erm... other things. When I go out in public I stress about my hair. I'm sure this is from years of friends and family making fun of it and saying not so nice things about my crazy curly hair (which I am going to dread as that is what it naturally wants to do). So I have been thinking if I cover maybe I will be able to think of other things. Does that make any sense? DH likes the idea as his brushing and braiding my hair has become something very personal to us.

Anywho that brings me to modesty in general- at first when I returned to Mormonism it was something I *had* to do and I didn't like it but now I am even finding myself wanting to cover more than the bare minimum of the standards. My body has just become something sacred to me and in that I find myself feeling much different things than I expected.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#210 of 603 Old 12-03-2008, 04:13 AM

OK, for all you covering ladies, how do you possibly keep it on?

I have thick coarse hair. And I have a hard time keeping anything on it unless I clip it really tight. I can wear a metal clamp but that is about it. I do have one head band that I have found that will stay mostly in, but it has elastic at the back and makes my hair itch and hurt where it touches the back of my neck. And bobby pins never really stay where they are put for me.

So, perhaps I am just doing it all wrong. Or perhaps these beautiful head coverings are made special. I just look at the pictures in the link above and know that if I wore something like that, it would stay on my head maybe five minutes before it slipped right off the back.

What's the trick?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page